Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knicks sign... Chris Smith???

Veteran

Originally Posted by YuvalNYC
    Im sure that before JR signed the 2.8M deal he asked Grunwald to take an 'extra' look at his bro as a favor..
    Grunwald is just being a man of his word...
    JR was not offered a better deal......does anyone remember hearing about any other offer JR received ?
    Class move by the Knicks....lets sign the brother of a guy who has not been at all a class act in society and even better lets sign his borther who did not even start on our 0-5 squad.....makes zero sense...

You guys are making way too big of a deal out of something that shouldn't be taken seriously. Guys get signed to the training camp roster all the time. We've done it with Patrick Ewing Jr. like 4 times now. Doesn't mean he'll make the team. Calm down

★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar

He will not play 1 minute for us does not matter , camp fodder

I don't understand this "signing" at all, I mean, I watched every Summer League game and he was below average to say the least!
    This is a business, so we're not here to do favours to anyone, but the only explanation I get for this is that the team made a HUGE ONE to JR...

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    This is what pisses me off about sports and politics....Chris SMith was not impressive at all...matter of fact the guy was hard to watch sometimes.

He is a tweener, like CLyde said. He is a worse version of J.R Smith

I can name a bunch of guys that played much better and deserved a spot over him...Art Parakhouski, Mustafa Farrakhan, Wesley Witherspoon, and Dion Waiters....all played much better than Smith and Farrakhan and Waiters were the only guards that can run the team at a decent level withou giving up the ball a million times.

I know this probably doesn't matter but this guy is clearly on this team to make J.R feel better and because Chris is J.R's brother.

Kind of sad that Chris SMith did not even start on our 0-5 summer league team. I remember watching him and saying he is a D leaguer at best.

It just baffles me how a guy can be picked up over so many better players than him because he is the brother of a current player, unbelievable. I thought this stuff stopped once we got to the college level...guess not SMH
    Lol I know you mean that small dude Whiters from Vegas but at first I got a good laugh that you seemed to be telling us a lottery pick would be a better addition that Chris Smith... sorry, not trying to pick on you for a miscue just took me a second to realize who you meant!

Last edited by NY17KNICKS; Aug 02, 2012 at 11:44.

Question Mark

We sign JR Smith's brother as a thank you, but we burn Patrick Ewing Jr. Whilst in rebuild mode, nonetheless.

PE jr. wasn't burned and his invite to the camp/SL teams was as much of a tounge in cheek ty to Ewing Sr. as this is to Junior Swish.

PEjr. is a great guy and a good player but he's no better then Chris Smith.

Yeah I think we all need to step off the ledge here. Clearly this move had more to do with doing JR a favor than the true potential management sees in Chris Smith. Having said that, I liked what I saw from Chris in college and the sample size in Vegas was too small for me to judge whether or not he can be at least an end of the bench guy in the NBA. Odds are he won't be on the roster at the start of the season, but another body in training camp doesn't hurt us at all.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

I lived next door to this guy @ Manhattan College. I was his RA.

Laziest athlete I ever met in my life and could not hold a conversation down without turning you profoundly retarded. Not a bright kid and took the easy way out of everything.

6"2 Jamal Crawford without the passing or shooting skills. Horrible defender and reading plays. Just steps on the court to chuck up jumpshots.

Don't know why the Knicks signed him or even invited him to the summerleague. About 200 players I can name right now that would make more sense to sign for training camp.

Stephon Marbury's brother > JR' Smith's brother.

Originally Posted by metrocard

Laziest athlete I ever met in my life and could not hold a conversation down without turning you profoundly retarded. Not a bright kid and took the easy way out of everything.

6"2 Jamal Crawford without the passing or shooting skills. Horrible defender and reading plays. Just steps on the court to chuck up jumpshots.

Don't know why the Knicks signed him or even invited him to the summerleague. About 200 players I can name right now that would make more sense to sign for training camp.

This is quite the information.

i'd rather the Knicks signed Metrocard just for the insight.

Chrish Swish = thugbro

I'll go with Metrocard that actually lived next door and was his RA.

Originally Posted by Shaunyboy23
    You guys are making way too big of a deal out of something that shouldn't be taken seriously. Guys get signed to the training camp roster all the time. We've done it with Patrick Ewing Jr. like 4 times now. Doesn't mean he'll make the team. Calm down
    Not sure how valid this is, but Rotoworld is reporting that Chris Smith will likely be on the roster & that his contract is for 2 years & partially guaranteed:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Updating a previous item, Chris Smith's contract with the Knicks is for two years and is partially guaranteed.
    Not only did the team give J.R.'s brother a two-year deal, they also gave him one that is partially guaranteed. According to beat writer Al Iannazzone, there is a "good shot" that Smith will be on the roster when the season begins. Smith did not start a single summer league game and shot under 30 percent during his audition. We think it's fair to say that some eyebrows should be raised here, but we can't say it surprises us at all. Aug 2 - 9:32 AM
    Last edited by STAT1; Aug 05, 2012 at 19:22.

Partially guaranteed? Knicks must have had big competition for Chris Smith? What a joke? Is it April's fools?