Melo: Linsanity Forged Selfish Reputation

Who'd you prefer in O&B?

• Total voters

Knicks#7

Rookie
:agreed::agreed:
The season needs to hurry up and start cause all this in the media and this forum is getting really repetitive. Non stop bias battles of Lin vs. Melo or Melo vs. Other NBA Stars or Melo vs. Stat even Melo vs. Barkley. Lol omg.

I've never in my 20ish years of fallowing sports have I seen hate for your team's best player like I do here (and on a good team at that). It's funny how fans in other cities always support their team with all their faults. No team is perfect, no player is perfect but while he is here he is ours and he isn't going anywhere soon. Get over it.

The response to this will prob be BUT MELO IS LAZY blah blah blah. If Melo is "lazy" then you're prob worthless. We are headed into a full season with one of the best rosters we have had in YEARS and yet ppl still find something to be pissed about to the fact that every thread eventually turns into a shouting match.

I really could care less about Lin anymore. What happen happen now let's look at what we do have like Amar's dropping $100k to have Hakeem work with him for 2 weeks.

"He gets criticized for what he does, and that?s being an offensive machine. I?m tired of reading it. He doesn?t play like LeBron James. He can pass, but he?s a scorer. He?s an offensive force. That?s what he does."

Ps. Crazy8 this is not an attack on your post just some built up frustration from reading around this site. I just don't see much purpose in pointing fingers and saying "Look, he's selfish!" What changes by guys on a forum saying it over and over. It starts in practice with trust and with an older roster respect will go around to each locker. Same affect Tyson had will be increased with guys like Kidd, Felton, Camby and Thomas.

Go USA
Go Knicks

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
I think Melo has shown he can do everything you need him to do, including pass the basketball. I think in his heart he's a scorer, and at times he has dominated the ball, but we have to consider the circumstances. I think if you get the right chemistry going on offense, Melo will get on board with it.

The article makes the point that Melo has never averaged 4 assists. Ok, for what it's worth, let's look at some of the other SF in the league, assist figures ('11-12 / career avg.):

LBJ 6.2 / 6.9
Paul Pierce 4.5 / 3.8
Carmelo 3.6 / 3.1
K. Durant 3.5 / 2.8
Luol Deng 2.8 / 2.3
G. Wallace 3.1 / 2.1
Granger 1.8 / 2.0
Rudy Gay 2.3 / 1.9

If we throw in top scoring SG for comparison:
D Wade 4.6 / 6.2
Kobe 4.6 / 4.7
Joe Johnson 3.9 / 4.4

So clearly Melo is not in the same class as LeBron, and trails Pierce, Wade and even Kobe and JJ. It's an area he can still improve, but it hardly a huge hole in his game.

Kidd will add a new dimension to Melo's game. Feel out your teammates early, get them going, then get yours in the 4th during crunch time.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I think Melo has shown he can do everything you need him to do, including pass the basketball. I think in his heart he's a scorer, and at times he has dominated the ball, but we have to consider the circumstances. I think if you get the right chemistry going on offense, Melo will get on board with it.

The article makes the point that Melo has never averaged 4 assists. Ok, for what it's worth, let's look at some of the other SF in the league, assist figures ('11-12 / career avg.):

LBJ 6.2 / 6.9
Paul Pierce 4.5 / 3.8
Carmelo 3.6 / 3.1
K. Durant 3.5 / 2.8
Luol Deng 2.8 / 2.3
G. Wallace 3.1 / 2.1
Granger 1.8 / 2.0
Rudy Gay 2.3 / 1.9

D Wade 4.6 / 6.2
Kobe 4.6 / 4.7
Joe Johnson 3.9 / 4.4

So clearly Melo is not in the same class as LeBron, and trails Pierce, Wade and even Kobe and JJ. It's an area he can still improve, but it hardly a huge hole in his game.

Great point supported by actual research!
+1

jimkcchief88

All Star
Crazy⑧s;246200 said:
Look at the votes, Jim.

Was discussing with you just the other day, Jim, that I think Melo's in for an epic year.

Have also stated in the Lin thread, Jim, that I think it's time to drop the Lin talk and discuss the huge season that awaits the Knicks, Jim.

Stop begging for an argument that leads to other (off) topics you'd prefer to be jaded about, Jim.

Jim.

Relax.

Oh I got into work late so I missed the paper this morning....Now I get it. Your Aussie sqaud is playing the DREAMTEAM in the next round so you are getting the jump start on the hating... AHA pass issued because MELO is getting ready to send your squad back down under LOL

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
tumblr_m8a4wuRMgB1ruvg9r.gif

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Oh I got into work late so I missed the paper this morning....Now I get it. Your Aussie sqaud is playing the DREAMTEAM in the next round so you are getting the jump start on the hating... AHA pass issued because MELO is getting ready to send your squad back down under LOL

:teeth:

You are out of your mind.

KingCharles34

All Star

LBJ 6.2 / 6.9
Paul Pierce 4.5 / 3.8
Carmelo 3.6 / 3.1
K. Durant 3.5 / 2.8
Luol Deng 2.8 / 2.3
G. Wallace 3.1 / 2.1
Granger 1.8 / 2.0
Rudy Gay 2.3 / 1.9

D Wade 4.6 / 6.2
Kobe 4.6 / 4.7
Joe Johnson 3.9 / 4.4

This is a great post right here, proves how people really exaggerate his selfishness. There are times where I think he should shoot a little less but overall i dont think his balance between shooting and passing is too far off. I didnt think Kobe went to Bynum enough last year but he was still a great player. Perhaps having a point guard that can control the tempo will help both of them (Nash in LA, Felton and Kidd with Knicks). Its not a knock on them, Lebrons really the only non point guard in the league that can be your first option on offense and your playmaker. Some people just need to learn how to expect less, thats why these dudes are so uptight about Melo spending more time bashing him this offseason then supporting the actual team.

Kidd will add a new dimension to Melo's game. Feel out your teammates early, get them going, then get yours in the 4th during crunch time.

I think he will too, Melo wont have to dominate the ball and be the point forward. Sometimes hed play so hard early in the game he'd be tired in the 4th, with this team I dont think that will happen and I think he'll get more help. Im expecting a better year from Amare as long as hes healthy

jimkcchief88

All Star
Crazy⑧s;246254 said:
:teeth:

You are out of your mind.

I don't think so u start this bogus thread when your squad is about to get popped good lol. You told me to check the votes so I am telling you the same. 13-1 MELO. I bet you are the one vote lol. I hope iso-MELO, fat, selfish and lazy has 50 against your boys lol

KingCharles34

All Star
Melo
21 Shump Street, Almost_famous718, BananaSauce, bogey1964, Crazy⑧s, Dzwonsson, goldenchild1688, JaYnYcE, jimkcchief88, KingStarbury3, MSGhobo247, NY17KNICKS, Sage
13 86.67%

Lin
Den318, orangeblobman
2 13.33%

YUBYq.png

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I have been following this site since 06 and that is the best post I've seen so far. It's amazing how fans want the teammates to be unified when you have media bias influencing fair weather fans to believe there is always a problem with the team, especially in New York. From Patrick Ewing to Marbury to now Melo there's always am attack on the teams best player and I just don't understand how you:gony: can claim to root for a team but hope that individual fails

EXACTLY... If Melo fails then the Knicks fail PERIOD. There is a reason why he is on Team USA and why he's such a big part of what they do and I don't see any other player other then Durant able to do what he does (minus the inside game Melo possesses).

I remember when things were really bad and watching our team lead by guys like Crawford, Randolph and Lee and getting torched by players like Melo and others of his level and wishing we could have someone of that consistency on our team. Now we have him and ppl want him to stop being Melo and start being a NY mold of Lebron. Not happening and not why we brought him here.

That is what he does.

Last edited:

TakMan

Rotation player
Jim. I'm no Lin fan. Nor am I in any way disappointed that he is no longer a Knick, but I think you're reading too much into any post relating to Lin. The Lin saga has obviously affected a significant part of the Knicks fan base and it's only natural that questions will be asked. This isn't a bad thing. It's summer, looks like our squad is more or less complete, and there's almost 3 months until we play our first game. Personally I'm done with Lin. Never thought he was (or will ever be) all that anyways. This doesn't mean I will not respect the fact that some people hold a different opinion to me, and that others-while not too disappointed he has gone- are trying to make some sense out of this. Point is you seem to be accusing anyone that posts something Lin related (which may not be of interest to you) of somehow attempting to divide the KO community, or having some other agenda. This isn't some sort of Lin backed conspiracy. It's a natural cycle of events that will occur in any social environment, where foundations have been shook. Let's not get all Gestapo on everyone.

CoolClyde

I think Crazy 8's started this thread just to irk JimKC.
when it comes to JLin, seems lotsa folks gots sands in tha vageen.

filipinoclyde.jpg

STAT1

Starter
http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=245992

Winning changes everything. If we make the ECF this year and make a consistent showing of going deep in the playoffs the criticism will stop.

The criticism will never stop until Melo leads the Knicks to a championship. He's in the same exact situation as A-Rod. It's a shame that such a great player needs to feel so denegrated by his own fanbase, but then so many Knicks fans have been doing this for so many years it's probably become a habit (or borderline obsession for some).

That said, I don't think Melo helps his own cause with the things he says sometimes to the media. Much like A-Rod he tends to put his foot in his mouth on a regular basis even when he's just being honest & telling it like it is. He needs to be more sensitive to the fact that feeding the haters with potentially controversial comments is never going to be a positive.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I don't think so u start this bogus thread when your squad is about to get popped good lol. You told me to check the votes so I am telling you the same. 13-1 MELO. I bet you are the one vote lol. I hope iso-MELO, fat, selfish and lazy has 50 against your boys lol

:boohoo:

I'm going to have to question your ability to put thought ahead of emotion.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
But to the haters don't they realize that this is a team game and we have assembled the most complete roster Melo has ever played with so far in his career. It's also funny with all the heat he gets I still see guys like Chandler and Kidd even maybe Camby being the real leaders but since Melo gets payed the big bucks he gets the Kunta Kinte treatment.

This is season 1 to me for this Melo era. If we dont make major strides now then I think you can justify his crucifixion(or Woodson's).

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
3 votes for Lin!? As much as I advocated paying the poison pill and staying true to bad contract form, Melo > Lin any day.

iSaYughh

Starter
I haven't voted, though I would vote for Lin, assuming two metrics are established alongside the poll:

*Salaries count

*Winning a championship in the next 5 years is the goal

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
I don't see how you can win a championship with Jeremy Lin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk