Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Player Rankings

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by Rob Low
    He`s the best offensive player in the league imo. Durant is debatable but I can`t put him in front of Melo until he develops a post game and plays more physical

Durant is far better at driving to the basket and doesn't even need a post game to be better than Melo, especially since Melo under uses his post game.

Durant is just a much more efficient scorer than Melo, his size and agility makes him unguardable.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Wade's jumpshot fell off, where have you been?

Rondo is the Celtic's best player, I hate the guy, but defensively he's the best PG in the NBA, and he leads the league in assist every year. Recently developed a mid range shot and he's a triple double threat. Don't be foolish.

Dirk isn't the same player he was in his championship season. If he comes back to that form, then maybe. Dirk is a great shooter/scorer, one of the best in the history of the league, but he lacks in every other department. Bynum and Love are more well rounded and currently are better players.

Melo is 10-15 for me.
    I was saying Rondo needed to be higher than 14. I agree he's one of the best PGs right now. Thats why I was surprised when someone listed him as 14.

Wade didn't do so hot this season but he was one carrying the Heat last year. I think it's only a matter of time before we see Wade destroy teams again. Besides, he doesn't need jumpshots when he's one of the few players that can tear through elite defenders and get to the rim easily.

Dirk, you might be right on that. Still expecting a lot outta him though.

Name me 9 better offensive players than Melo in the league
    Melo is one of the best scorers in the league. There's no debate there. But that doesn't mean he's one of the best offensive players. Being one of the best offensive players means you can create plays for your teammates and penetrate defenders. It also means you don't stop ball movement for your team and take lots of shots for yourself. If you take a billion shots in a game, of course you're going to have a lotta points.

Originally Posted by Ghostowl
    Melo is one of the best scorers in the league. There's no debate there. But that doesn't mean he's one of the best offensive players. Being one of the best offensive players means you can create plays for your teammates and penetrate defenders. It also means you don't stop ball movement for your team and take lots of shots for yourself. If you take a billion shots in a game, of course you're going to have a lotta points.
    Carmelo can create for others like everyone has said, you gotta cut he WILL find you, he actually loves to hit guys for cutting dunks.

Remember when he first got to New York he played well, Billups ran the show and he was just scoring and rebounding. Our problem was defense which is why we added Chandler

Imagine not picking up Billups' option, sign Chandler then re-sign Billups to a mid-level deal using his bird rights

We'd have

Billups-Fields-Anthony-Stoudemire-Chandler starting out last year with Shumpert, Smith, Novak, Jeffries and Douglass off the bench and maybe add a young PG in the draft for Billups to groom and still add Camby, not lose Jeffries in the process of adding Felton

we wouldn't be having this discussion, we'd probably have played in the ECF last year and Carmelo would be in top 5 discussion period

regardless this is the year for a lot of guys in the league to redeem themselves, Anthony, Wade, Howard, etc....

He`s the best offensive player in the league imo. Durant is debatable but I can`t put him in front of Melo until he develops a post game and plays more physical
    We can say the same thing of Melo, that we can't put Melo in front of Durant until Melo develops ::insert here::

They're two different beasts, and I think Durant, I gotta put him above Melo right now just because Durant is Durant, man.

Melo can reach around him this season though.

Durant is a better player than Melo, easily.

He is just a more complete player than Melo.

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Durant is a better player than Melo, easily.

He is just a more complete player than Melo.
    Ok what makes him more complete and if all you say is he shoots a better percentage and gets his within the flow of the offense then your statement is wrong because Carmelo passes better, rebounds better, defends better and is more clutch

Melo probably has more god given ability.. But Durant's hunger and drive makes him the better player right now. He rarely if ever takes a night off, Melo doesnt always play up to his ability

Originally Posted by CA7
    Ok what makes him more complete and if all you say is he shoots a better percentage and gets his within the flow of the offense then your statement is wrong because Carmelo passes better, rebounds better, defends better and is more clutch
    Durant is a better team defender than Melo. He does not lose focus and plays the passing lanes well. His length (pause) helps the team D also. He has gotten better in this regard. He is not the liability he once was, which is why he can legitimately rival Lebron as the league's second best talent.

Read up:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Next, why are you saying Melo is a better rebounder?? Durant averaged 8 rebounds per game last season, which also helps the D. Melo has never, throughout his whole career averaged 8 rebounds per game.

On the offensive side of the ball he is flat out better. He scores more per game and shoots a higher percentage. Last season he shot .496 from the field. Melo has never shot that high a percentage throughout his whole career. He also makes more treys, over a hundred in each of the last three seasons. Melo has never made a hundred 3's in a season in his whole career, granted he does play more of a mid-range style, but Durant can make mid-range and short J's all day too. Durant is far superior in transition also. He is v fast and elusive w the ball in the open court. Combine this skill w his height and you have scary talent that is still young and defining itself. Durant is just a flat out better offensive player right now.

Originally Posted by StEpHoN_mArBuRy
    Melo probably has more god given ability.. But Durant's hunger and drive makes him the better player right now. He rarely if ever takes a night off, Melo doesnt always play up to his ability
    I don't know about the god-given piece. Durant is v fast, agile and tall. He has a unique skill set.

I agree that he doesn't take anything for granted. I think he is a better student of the game than Melo. He's also a smart dude and affable. He's a much better locker room guy than Melo and most players for that matter.

Durant is a better team defender than Melo. He does not lose focus and plays the passing lanes well. His length (pause) helps the team D also. He has gotten better in this regard. He is not the liability he once was, which is why he can legitimately rival Lebron as the league's second best talent.

Read up:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Next, why are you saying Melo is a better rebounder?? Durant averaged 8 rebounds per game last season, which also helps the D. Melo has never, throughout his whole career averaged 8 rebounds per game.

On the offensive side of the ball he is flat out better. He scores more per game and shoots a higher percentage. Last season he shot .496 from the field. Melo has never shot that high a percentage throughout his whole career. He also makes more treys, over a hundred in each of the last three seasons. Melo has never made a hundred 3's in a season in his whole career, granted he does play more of a mid-range style, but Durant can make mid-range and short J's all day too. Durant is far superior in transition also. He is v fast and elusive w the ball in the open court. Combine this skill w his height and you have scary talent that is still young and defining itself. Durant is just a flat out better offensive player right now.
    Okay now I see you're just using last year to have this argument, for their careers they both average 6 a game(KD 6.6, CA 6.3) and Durant plays 2 more MPG than Carmelo. Carmelo is a better skilled rebounder than Durant, watch the game not the stat sheet. Example LeBron James is the 2nd best passer in the league, Nash being 1st but LeBron isn't 2nd in assists so does that make guys who average more assists than him better passers, NO

Durant is a GREAT SHOOTER we can all agree, Carmelo just brings more to the table for me on offense, remember for the last year and half most of it Carmelo was out of his element and injured, this past season really hurt Carmelo prior to that he had a great year averaging 25.5 ppg and 7 rpg with good percentages across the board

I wish guys would be honest and say they are using this past year too much to judge Carmelo because we seen when healthy and running the offense through him he not only gets his but he got it efficiently, the team played well, he made guys better and Woodson made him a better defender.

Durant is great I just prefer Carmelo

Originally Posted by CA7
    Okay now I see you're just using last year to have this argument, for their careers they both average 6 a game(KD 6.6, CA 6.3) and Durant plays 2 more MPG than Carmelo. Carmelo is a better skilled rebounder than Durant, watch the game not the stat sheet. Example LeBron James is the 2nd best passer in the league, Nash being 1st but LeBron isn't 2nd in assists so does that make guys who average more assists than him better passers, NO

Durant is a GREAT SHOOTER we can all agree, Carmelo just brings more to the table for me on offense, remember for the last year and half most of it Carmelo was out of his element and injured, this past season really hurt Carmelo prior to that he had a great year averaging 25.5 ppg and 7 rpg with good percentages across the board

I wish guys would be honest and say they are using this past year too much to judge Carmelo because we seen when healthy and running the offense through him he not only gets his but he got it efficiently, the team played well, he made guys better and Woodson made him a better defender.

Durant is great I just prefer Carmelo
    Well.. yeah I'm judging them based on what I see now, on court and by the numbers. You kinda have to wait til the end of their respective careers to judge them the way you are.

Right now Durant is the better player. Durant is young, therefore I believe he will continue to grow as a player and thus will more than likely be better than Melo for the duration of their careers.

You must not really watch Durant that much. He does everything on offense. He takes it to the rack. He uses a one step or two step dribble and pull up. His handle is excellent so he creates off the dribble really well (better than Melo imo). He shoots the three and he's a monster with the ball in his hands in transition. Plus he's tall. He pump-fakes to get guys in the air to draw fouls. He is just more well-rounded than Melo on offense IMO. He also gets to the line an insane amount. I think he was either 1st or 2nd in attempts last season. That tells me he is v aggressive. Melo did not even come anywhere near him in attempts last season.

Stop w the Melo jocking dude.

We can all agree he's a great scorer, but he has his faults and they are annoying. You should try to see him for what he is.

I would much rather have Durant on the Knicks than him.

And my dude.. don't minimize the importance of statical analysis. Stats are everything when it comes to these players. Good stat analysis is just as important as what you see on the court. Remember that.
    Last edited by ronoranina; Sep 11, 2012 at 15:32.

Well.. yeah I'm judging them based on what I see now, on court and by the numbers. You kinda have to wait til the end of their respective careers to judge them the way you are.

Right now Durant is the better player. Durant is young, therefore I believe he will continue to grow as a player and thus will more than likely be better than Melo for the duration of their careers.

You must not really watch Durant that much. He does everything on offense. He takes it to the rack. He uses a one step or two step dribble and pull up. His handle is excellent so he creates off the dribble really well (better than Melo imo). He shoots the three and he's a monster with the ball in his hands in transition. Plus he's tall. He pump-fakes to get guys in the air to draw fouls. He is just more well-rounded than Melo on offense IMO. He also gets to the line an insane amount. I think he was either 1st or 2nd in attempts last season. That tells me he is v aggressive. Melo did not even come anywhere near him in attempts last season.

Stop w the Melo jocking dude.

We can all agree he's a great scorer, but he has his faults and they are annoying. You should try to see him for what he is.

I would much rather have Durant on the Knicks than him.

And my dude.. don't minimize the importance of statical analysis. Stats are everything when it comes to these players. Good stat analysis is just as important as what you see on the court. Remember that.
    here we go with the homo phrases smfh you dudes cant have a discussion with out dropping these can you

anyway I watch KD and you know what he has his faults too its just no one is going to ever criticize Durant for anything, he not a stopper and who does he make better please explain to me both of these and how they're false, I know Melo has flaws I point them out all the time but these guys are almost evenly skilled and even then Melo is more skilled Durant probably has the higher IQ and more hunger, though I've seen a new side of Melo since April

also STATS are important to an extent, we also have to look at, where guys get shots, who guys are surrounded by, systems, etc...its not all black and white and it seems guys are being influenced by the media too much. Before Carmelo came to New York he was better than Durant now that he's here and the medias new scapegoat he's not top 10 smh

so far...

ESPN Player Rankings

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for anybody curious

#471 James White
    #437 Pablo Prigioni
    #325 Kurt Thomas
    #176 Steve Novak
    #173 Raymond Felton
    #167 Ronnie Brewer
    #157 Jason Kidd
    #138 Iman Shumpert
    #132 JR Smith
    #127 Marcus Camby

Veteran

Nba Logo ESPN and fan-favorite are not how u rank players

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Melo should be around 10-15 after his performance in the Olympics. He was 15-20 before that.

1. James
    2. Durant
    3. Paul
    4. Howard
    5. Rose
    6. Wade
    7. Bryant
    8. Bynum
    9. Love
    10. Anthony
    11. Dirk
    12. Ginobili
    13. Williams
    14. Rondo
    15. Griffin
    16. Parker
    17. Pau Gasol
    18. Westbrook
    19. Chandler
    20. Marc Gasol
    21. Smith
    22. Nash
    23. Cousins
    24. Irving
    25. Deng
    25. Bosh
    26. Harden
    27. Joe Johnson
    28. Eric Gordon
    29. John Wall
    30. Danny Granger

The Spurs 2011-12 record of 50-16, and 2010-11 record of 61-21 on the powerful strength of Tim Duncan then comes Parker/Ginobli performance.

The Bulls 2011-12 record of 50-16, and 2010-11 record of 62-20 on the strength of Rose/Noah/Deng/then Boozer/Gibson performance.

How to rank NBA players-perfomance .. u rank the past 2 seasons of ....
    Team-Performance/Team-Record/then player-performance goes into the high ranking of talent .. 1-Lebron 2-Rose 3-Wade 4-Duncan 5-Durant 6-Kobe 7-Howard 8-Parker 9-Dirk 10-Bosh 11-Pierce 12-KG 13-Deng 14-Noah 15-Rondo 16-Westbrook 17-Griffin 18-CP3 19-Harden 20-Ginobli 21-Tyson Chandler ....

Originally Posted by StEpHoN_mArBuRy
    This sums up my opinion very well, by saying god given ability i kinda look at that as the fact that Carmelo is much physically stronger then Durant making him more of an inside outside player.