Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Knicks supposedly like young George Washington PG Tony Taylor Jr.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Knicks supposedly like young George Washington PG Tony Taylor Jr.

    That's what Keith Schlosser is reporting over at Knicks Journal. Might be close to offering this kid a contract:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Toward the end of the article, there's a link to Taylor's youtube highlight reel. Not bad. Looks like he can do some things. Overall numbers weren't that impressive but he looks pretty smooth in the clip. Wouldn't be a terrible move. I've been saying it -- gotta have some youth to go along with all this older veteran talent we added this offseason...Tell you what, I think I'd like it more than adding Chris Smith or fringe bigs Lou Amundson or Birdman Andersen (DJ White or Donte Greene is a different story -- they continue to be my two top choices, in order, to land the last spot, assuming Chris Copeland grabs the other). Anyone out there seen Taylor play a lot? What's the scoop? He an NBA player?? His agent says he reminds him of Isiah Thomas. I don't know if I see that but I see a guy that's pretty smooth and has an idea out there...Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    He definitely can't be worse than Chris Smith, and it'd be nice to develop a young PG under Kidd and Prigioni for when their games start to deteriorate. I agree with you on Donte Greene, I think he has a lot of potential. I remember seeing him one time in the summer league, he went off and scored I think like 42 points. He has great size at the forward spot as well, anyone know how his defense is?

  3. #3
    Member WNY_Knickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    453
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by finestrg
    That's what Keith Schlosser is reporting over at Knicks Journal. Might be close to offering this kid a contract:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Toward the end of the article, there's a link to Taylor's youtube highlight reel. Not bad. Looks like he can do some things. Overall numbers weren't that impressive but he looks pretty smooth in the clip. Wouldn't be a terrible move. I've been saying it -- gotta have some youth to go along with all this older veteran talent we added this offseason...Tell you what, I think I'd like it more than adding Chris Smith or fringe bigs Lou Amundson or Birdman Andersen (DJ White or Donte Greene is a different story -- they continue to be my two top choices, in order, to land the last spot, assuming Chris Copeland grabs the other). Anyone out there seen Taylor play a lot? What's the scoop? He an NBA player?? His agent says he reminds him of Isiah Thomas. I don't know if I see that but I see a guy that's pretty smooth and has an idea out there...Thoughts?

    Lol I loved that part when I read it... My undrafted free agent guy is alot like a hall of fame pg, now pay him lots of money and make me rich please...
    But I actually have seen Taylor play, I'm a St Bonaventure guy so we played him in A-10 season, I think it's tough to judge him on stats because that GW team wasn't one of their strongest, guy looked like a good pg but you're not gonna have huge assist numbers with limited talent around you. Had he played with Pops Mensah-Bonsu years ago I think his assist #s would be way higher off of allys and dishes for easy dunks as the guy can penetrate. Wish I recall how dangerous he looked as a shooter and how his defense was, didn't care so much at the time, but I do think it'd be a decent move, get some practices with the Knicks and maybe learn a bit from Kidd Felton and Prigioni then get the minutes in the D league, definitely useful to develop young talents, even if he panned out to be a solid backup pg for the future, you need guys that can contribute on smaller contracts if the plan is going to continue to be tying up alot of money in a few guys, which I predict is still the plan in 3 years when most of these contracts are up.

  4. #4
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Can't the Knicks FO invite him to training camp and then go from there?

  5. #5
    ★KNICKS-TAPE★ NYk_Reloaded718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Queenz, NY
    Posts
    3,317
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Sign him and stash him away in the D-League, he kind of reminds me of Mike Conley in a way & he has high IQ.
    Last edited by NYk_Reloaded718; Aug 19, 2012 at 16:06.

  6. #6
    Member JaYnYcE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    I like KMart or Lou Amundson. Unless we cut Chris Smith I don't see the logic with having 4 point guards and 4 shooting guards.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Veteran Wargames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    His agents description of him makes his agent sound like an overhyping clown...

    Anyhow, I like it. I've said before that the Knicks Biggest issue these last 2 seasons has been lack of PG depth. Kidd and prigoni's age doesn't help either if felton was injured for long. Also both those guys were brought here to help mentor somebody. The Knicks might as well get the full bang for their buck.

    Also if this Kidd looks like he can be a backup next season the knicks can Then draft the best player available instead of picking up a PG for lineup reasons since Prigoni has already said he is gone next year.

  8. #8
    Scoring Champ CA7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,869
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Sign him and let him learn from Kidd and Prigioni and yes he's Mike Conley meets Kemba Walker(Swagger)

    Then re-sign Jerome Jordan and he can develop under Chandler and Camby

  9. #9
    Member 21 Shump Street's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    402
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by CA7
    Sign him and let him learn from Kidd and Prigioni and yes he's Mike Conley meets Kemba Walker(Swagger)

    Then re-sign Jerome Jordan and he can develop under Chandler and Camby
    If JORTS is still available grab him and then we have a Shump/Jorts/Jordan batch of youth to develop after our big 3 era.

  10. #10
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by 21 Shump Street
    If JORTS is still available grab him and then we have a Shump/Jorts/Jordan batch of youth to develop after our big 3 era.
    I wish we could -- I'd bring both back in a sec. I don't think we can though. I'm pretty sure teams have to wait a full yr now to re-sign players that were traded and then immediately waived by the receiving team. I think it used to be only a month; now it's a year. If you think about it, it might very well cost Harrellson an NBA gig. Jordan too. Maybe two entire NBA careers...Both guys were NBA players, on an NBA roster..Now, who knows what the future holds for each...Under the old rule, we would've brought Jorts (probably both guys) back right away I'm sure. Clearly our organization liked them...Now that we can't bring them back, I'm not sure if they'll get that NBA opportunity elsewhere. So far, there doesn't look to be much interest in either. Good job Stern and the owners -- way to **** things up for the little guy. Good job fellas!


    A little further on Jordan -- I like him but I still say if we ever wanted a 7 foot C to play behind Chandler and Camby, Marcus Cousin is a better choice. Just a much more advanced prospect overall if you ask me. For what it's worth..
    Last edited by finestrg; Aug 20, 2012 at 12:33.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by 21 Shump Street
    If JORTS is still available grab him and then we have a Shump/Jorts/Jordan batch of youth to develop after our big 3 era.
    you guys dont have a big 3 era!
    a big three consist in 3 all star players, more than 60 wins for more than 2 season, ECF for atleast 2 years and reach an nba final at some point!

    you guys still need:

    the third player of the big three(amare and anthony)
    60+ win seasons
    2 ECF with atleast 1 win to reach the finals and be a conference champion!
    let alone you need a playoff series win!

    im pissed at the knicks i am a heat fans but i want the knicks to get stack up and melo to play like he is suposed to be and amare to play like he use to! because unlike other fans i want to see the best competition out there! and i love the way knicks fans are so ****y and arogant! i want i real rivalr! and that why i get mad at the kncisk for being so dumb in acquiring: kidd, camby and Pringioni also paying 15 mil to novac! If knicks fron office was smart enogth they would know that the best way they can creat a solid 1-2 punch with amare is by him playing at the C and carmelo at the 4 or 3! First dumb move was adquiring Tyson chandler! miami could have goten him because miami has a great facilitator in lebron and bosh is a mid range shooter! but amare is a a power dunker in pick and roll situation! They instead of looking for a center to play along side amare they should have went out and find a decent center and a decent pick and roll general to play along side amare also people dont take to account this was the first time amare played without a true pg wihth him!


    I want the knicks to be the 2 best team in the league behind the heat! I want a real rivalry like knciks bulls in the 90's or Lakers vs celtics in the past decade! melo vs bron! the battle of the best small forward even do is not close but the durant and bron is not close either!Also if the press dont want to give the mvp to bron next year i wish it goes to melo or paul! Durant is really overated to me also blake is overated to me too!

  12. #12
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by CA7
    Sign him and let him learn from Kidd and Prigioni and yes he's Mike Conley meets Kemba Walker(Swagger)

    Then re-sign Jerome Jordan and he can develop under Chandler and Camby
    Not sure I see Walker but I feel ya on the Conley comparsion. A right-handed Conley, maybe not as effective overall...I could see that. I was thinking smaller scale -- maybe Jeremy Pargo (minus the hops and occasional explosion at the rim on finishes) mixed with some Frank Williams..

    Pargo, incidently, has a chance to be a real nice surprise player in the NBA. Memphis traded him along with a 2014 2nd rounder to Cleveland for DJ Kennedy not too long ago. That's a great trade for the Cavs imo. I Loved this guy at Gonzaga. Tough, very efficent floor general in college...I think Jeremy's a much better player than his older brother Jennero. All Jennero does is spot up and shoot 3s --- Jeremy, on the other hand, is a true PG with excellent strength, athleticism & quickness; he's also a very good ballhandler and penetrator, a good passer & his jumper looks much improved since college (where he wasn't terrible). Played real well in Israel recently before signing a contract with Memphis last Dec. Mixed results last yr for the Grizzlies -- he's capable of much more though. The best is yet to come for this guy if you ask me. He'll be a great backup for Irving on that team. If Irving and CJ Miles wind up starting, Jeremy Pargo/Alonzo Gee is one hell of a young athletic backup combination...Anyone catch the drive and dish to Mitchell Watt Pargo had this summer for Cleveland? SICK isn't even the word! Watch out for this guy..I think Pargo could be as good as Jeff Teague eventually. Better maybe.


  13. #13
    Scoring Champ CA7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,869
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by finestrg
    Not sure I see Walker but I feel ya on the Conley comparsion. A right-handed Conley, maybe not as effective overall...I could see that. I was thinking smaller scale -- maybe Jeremy Pargo (minus the hops and occasional explosion at the rim on finishes) mixed with some Frank Williams..

    Pargo, incidently, has a chance to be a real nice surprise player in the NBA. Memphis traded him along with a 2014 2nd rounder to Cleveland for DJ Kennedy not too long ago. That's a great trade for the Cavs imo. I Loved this guy at Gonzaga. Tough, very efficent floor general in college...I think Jeremy's a much better player than his older brother Jennero. All Jennero does is spot up and shoot 3s --- Jeremy, on the other hand, is a true PG with excellent strength, athleticism & quickness; he's also a very good ballhandler and penetrator, a good passer & his jumper looks much improved since college (where he wasn't terrible). Played real well in Israel recently before signing a contract with Memphis last Dec. Mixed results last yr for the Grizzlies -- he's capable of much more though. The best is yet to come for this guy if you ask me. He'll be a great backup for Irving on that team. If Irving and CJ Miles wind up starting, Jeremy Pargo/Alonzo Gee is one hell of a young athletic backup combination...Anyone catch the drive and dish to Mitchell Watt Pargo had this summer for Cleveland? SICK isn't even the word! Watch out for this guy..I think Pargo could be as good as Jeff Teague eventually. Better maybe.

    That New York swagger and confidence Kemba possesses I see in him def a legitimate prospect someone I'd love to have

  14. #14
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,497
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    even though we have PG depth for the first time in a long time, I think we need a 4th PG......no more Shumpert, JR handling the point enough of that nonesense.

    We should expect Kidd to get hurt a few times and the minutes will pile up for Prigioni and Felton if that happens so we need 4 PG's...especially because our team has no ball movement without a legit PG

Similar Threads

  1. Knicks Offseason Summer Spending (MUST READ)
    By mafra in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: May 23, 2012, 19:15
  2. Bucks @ Knicks 22/02/10
    By smokes in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: Feb 23, 2010, 18:39
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 18, 2009, 21:23
  4. Knicks 2007-2008 Season Recap
    By abcd in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Feb 24, 2008, 12:12
  5. Lampe signs with NY Knicks
    By KnickFan2080 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan 28, 2008, 00:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •