Knicks supposedly like young George Washington PG Tony Taylor Jr.

finestrg

Rotation player
That's what Keith Schlosser is reporting over at Knicks Journal. Might be close to offering this kid a contract:

http://www.knicksjournal.com/2012/08/are-knicks-closing-in-on-promising.html

Toward the end of the article, there's a link to Taylor's youtube highlight reel. Not bad. Looks like he can do some things. Overall numbers weren't that impressive but he looks pretty smooth in the clip. Wouldn't be a terrible move. I've been saying it -- gotta have some youth to go along with all this older veteran talent we added this offseason...Tell you what, I think I'd like it more than adding Chris Smith or fringe bigs Lou Amundson or Birdman Andersen (DJ White or Donte Greene is a different story -- they continue to be my two top choices, in order, to land the last spot, assuming Chris Copeland grabs the other). Anyone out there seen Taylor play a lot? What's the scoop? He an NBA player?? His agent says he reminds him of Isiah Thomas. I don't know if I see that but I see a guy that's pretty smooth and has an idea out there...Thoughts?

He definitely can't be worse than Chris Smith, and it'd be nice to develop a young PG under Kidd and Prigioni for when their games start to deteriorate. I agree with you on Donte Greene, I think he has a lot of potential. I remember seeing him one time in the summer league, he went off and scored I think like 42 points. He has great size at the forward spot as well, anyone know how his defense is?

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
That's what Keith Schlosser is reporting over at Knicks Journal. Might be close to offering this kid a contract:

http://www.knicksjournal.com/2012/08/are-knicks-closing-in-on-promising.html

Toward the end of the article, there's a link to Taylor's youtube highlight reel. Not bad. Looks like he can do some things. Overall numbers weren't that impressive but he looks pretty smooth in the clip. Wouldn't be a terrible move. I've been saying it -- gotta have some youth to go along with all this older veteran talent we added this offseason...Tell you what, I think I'd like it more than adding Chris Smith or fringe bigs Lou Amundson or Birdman Andersen (DJ White or Donte Greene is a different story -- they continue to be my two top choices, in order, to land the last spot, assuming Chris Copeland grabs the other). Anyone out there seen Taylor play a lot? What's the scoop? He an NBA player?? His agent says he reminds him of Isiah Thomas. I don't know if I see that but I see a guy that's pretty smooth and has an idea out there...Thoughts?

Lol I loved that part when I read it... My undrafted free agent guy is alot like a hall of fame pg, now pay him lots of money and make me rich please...
But I actually have seen Taylor play, I'm a St Bonaventure guy so we played him in A-10 season, I think it's tough to judge him on stats because that GW team wasn't one of their strongest, guy looked like a good pg but you're not gonna have huge assist numbers with limited talent around you. Had he played with Pops Mensah-Bonsu years ago I think his assist #s would be way higher off of allys and dishes for easy dunks as the guy can penetrate. Wish I recall how dangerous he looked as a shooter and how his defense was, didn't care so much at the time, but I do think it'd be a decent move, get some practices with the Knicks and maybe learn a bit from Kidd Felton and Prigioni then get the minutes in the D league, definitely useful to develop young talents, even if he panned out to be a solid backup pg for the future, you need guys that can contribute on smaller contracts if the plan is going to continue to be tying up alot of money in a few guys, which I predict is still the plan in 3 years when most of these contracts are up.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Sign him and stash him away in the D-League, he kind of reminds me of Mike Conley in a way & he has high IQ.

Last edited:

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
I like KMart or Lou Amundson. Unless we cut Chris Smith I don't see the logic with having 4 point guards and 4 shooting guards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wargames

Starter
His agents description of him makes his agent sound like an overhyping clown...

Anyhow, I like it. I've said before that the Knicks Biggest issue these last 2 seasons has been lack of PG depth. Kidd and prigoni's age doesn't help either if felton was injured for long. Also both those guys were brought here to help mentor somebody. The Knicks might as well get the full bang for their buck.

Also if this Kidd looks like he can be a backup next season the knicks can Then draft the best player available instead of picking up a PG for lineup reasons since Prigoni has already said he is gone next year.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Sign him and let him learn from Kidd and Prigioni and yes he's Mike Conley meets Kemba Walker(Swagger)

Then re-sign Jerome Jordan and he can develop under Chandler and Camby

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Sign him and let him learn from Kidd and Prigioni and yes he's Mike Conley meets Kemba Walker(Swagger)

If JORTS is still available grab him and then we have a Shump/Jorts/Jordan batch of youth to develop after our big 3 era.

finestrg

Rotation player
If JORTS is still available grab him and then we have a Shump/Jorts/Jordan batch of youth to develop after our big 3 era.

I wish we could -- I'd bring both back in a sec. I don't think we can though. I'm pretty sure teams have to wait a full yr now to re-sign players that were traded and then immediately waived by the receiving team. I think it used to be only a month; now it's a year. If you think about it, it might very well cost Harrellson an NBA gig. Jordan too. Maybe two entire NBA careers...Both guys were NBA players, on an NBA roster..Now, who knows what the future holds for each...Under the old rule, we would've brought Jorts (probably both guys) back right away I'm sure. Clearly our organization liked them...Now that we can't bring them back, I'm not sure if they'll get that NBA opportunity elsewhere. So far, there doesn't look to be much interest in either. Good job Stern and the owners -- way to **** things up for the little guy. Good job fellas!
:barf:

A little further on Jordan -- I like him but I still say if we ever wanted a 7 foot C to play behind Chandler and Camby, Marcus Cousin is a better choice. Just a much more advanced prospect overall if you ask me. For what it's worth..

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player

Not sure I see Walker but I feel ya on the Conley comparsion. A right-handed Conley, maybe not as effective overall...I could see that. I was thinking smaller scale -- maybe Jeremy Pargo (minus the hops and occasional explosion at the rim on finishes) mixed with some Frank Williams..

Pargo, incidently, has a chance to be a real nice surprise player in the NBA. Memphis traded him along with a 2014 2nd rounder to Cleveland for DJ Kennedy not too long ago. That's a great trade for the Cavs imo. I Loved this guy at Gonzaga. Tough, very efficent floor general in college...I think Jeremy's a much better player than his older brother Jennero. All Jennero does is spot up and shoot 3s --- Jeremy, on the other hand, is a true PG with excellent strength, athleticism & quickness; he's also a very good ballhandler and penetrator, a good passer & his jumper looks much improved since college (where he wasn't terrible). Played real well in Israel recently before signing a contract with Memphis last Dec. Mixed results last yr for the Grizzlies -- he's capable of much more though. The best is yet to come for this guy if you ask me. He'll be a great backup for Irving on that team. If Irving and CJ Miles wind up starting, Jeremy Pargo/Alonzo Gee is one hell of a young athletic backup combination...Anyone catch the drive and dish to Mitchell Watt Pargo had this summer for Cleveland? SICK isn't even the word! Watch out for this guy..I think Pargo could be as good as Jeff Teague eventually. Better maybe.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Not sure I see Walker but I feel ya on the Conley comparsion. A right-handed Conley, maybe not as effective overall...I could see that. I was thinking smaller scale -- maybe Jeremy Pargo (minus the hops and occasional explosion at the rim on finishes) mixed with some Frank Williams..

Pargo, incidently, has a chance to be a real nice surprise player in the NBA. Memphis traded him along with a 2014 2nd rounder to Cleveland for DJ Kennedy not too long ago. That's a great trade for the Cavs imo. I Loved this guy at Gonzaga. Tough, very efficent floor general in college...I think Jeremy's a much better player than his older brother Jennero. All Jennero does is spot up and shoot 3s --- Jeremy, on the other hand, is a true PG with excellent strength, athleticism & quickness; he's also a very good ballhandler and penetrator, a good passer & his jumper looks much improved since college (where he wasn't terrible). Played real well in Israel recently before signing a contract with Memphis last Dec. Mixed results last yr for the Grizzlies -- he's capable of much more though. The best is yet to come for this guy if you ask me. He'll be a great backup for Irving on that team. If Irving and CJ Miles wind up starting, Jeremy Pargo/Alonzo Gee is one hell of a young athletic backup combination...Anyone catch the drive and dish to Mitchell Watt Pargo had this summer for Cleveland? SICK isn't even the word! Watch out for this guy..I think Pargo could be as good as Jeff Teague eventually. Better maybe.

That New York swagger and confidence Kemba possesses I see in him def a legitimate prospect someone I'd love to have

finestrg

Rotation player
How about Michael Loyd Jr. or Randy Culpepper?

Anyone remember Michael Loyd Jr. from BYU? Played there the same time Fredette did before transferring out to Midwestern State after having difficulties with the whole Mormon lifestyle. I thought he was GREAT at times for BYU. 6"1" cat-quick penetrator, could go coast-to-coast in the blink of an eye, good outside shooter and he ran a nice show. Kinda fell off after he transferred (I thought he'd explode at his second school) but his play at BYU proved to me that he could play in the NBA (esp. in that game against Florida in the Tournament where he was dynamite). Once Loyd started getting PT his soph. yr., almost everytime I'd tune in to watch Jimmer play I'd usually come away MORE IMPRESSED with Loyd.

There's a lot of talk out there about Culpepper not being a true PG while at UTEP and that may be true but man, what an athlete this kid is. Jesus...6' extremely offensive-minded guard similar to Nate Robinson down to the highlight dunks and all...I think he could operate as a PG and only get better at it the more he did it. Played out of his mind last year in the Ukraine. The speed and quickness is definitely there, great athleticism, tight handle, unbelieveable off the bounce, spectacular finisher at times and he's actually a solid shooter from deep, capable of lighting it up from out there at any time. Good hands on D too -- 2 steals a game his senior yr at UTEP..A little small (might be more 5'11" than 6') but not Nate Robinson small. I think he's got enough pluses to have an impact in the NBA...Unusual backcourt at UTEP with Culpepper and Julyan Stone considering Stone had the SG size yet handled the ball and set up the offense and Culpepper at 5'11" played off the ball as the scorer. Very effective nonetheless. If Nate Rob. made it in the NBA, there's gotta be room for this guy somewhere, no?

Not sure what Loyd and Culpepper are up to (does Culpepper go back to the Ukraine?). I know the pay sucks but a stint in the D-League for the exposure alone wouldn't be a bad thing for either guy...Any thoughts on these two? Better options than Tony Taylor???

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
I really wanna add a Udonis Haslem type 4 who takes charges plays with passion and hits that 15 footer

I wish we would have got Jon Diebler in the Felton deal too as he would help us stretch the floor

We need some youth and athleticism though Miami gonna run, OKC gonna run we gotta keep up

finestrg

Rotation player
I really wanna add a Udonis Haslem type 4 who takes charges plays with passion and hits that 15 footer

I wish we would have got Jon Diebler in the Felton deal too as he would help us stretch the floor

We need some youth and athleticism though Miami gonna run, OKC gonna run we gotta keep up

Could agree more with you C. That's all that's left is to add a little more youth, athleticism and excitement to the mix here and for the exact reason you gave too -- when these top teams wanna go fast and athletic, we're gonna need to match that. Even though we added a ton of older vet. talent I'd like to think that with Felton, JR, Melo, STAT and Chandler (probably our top overall unit that Woody will probably look to finish games and/or match another team's top 5 with), those 5 can match up with any lineup any team out there decides to throw at us, no matter how quick and athletic. So that's a positive at least. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have some more athleticism on the depth chart though, that's for sure...These top teams can all go much more than 5 deep with athleticism when they want to.

Probably won't be able to do much this year though. I think this roster's pretty much complete. They like Copeland and I think he makes the club (I like him too -- great find by the organization) though he doesn't appear to be the thoroughbred-type we're talking about here..Different player altogether (though I think his outside shooting, post-up and 1 on 1 game will come in handy somewhere along the way)...James White may fit the bill, though I'm not holding my breathe... Other than that, the rest of this roster feels a little long in the tooth...To me, the Chris Smith spot is wide open. I know they're trying to appease JR by giving his little brother a shot but there should come a time where the organization goes to him and says, 'look, all due respect to Chris and to you, we need that final spot for another player, for the good of the team.' Hopefully JR doesn't pitch a bitch about that because we need him focused...And I agree, as of right now that spot should go to a backup 4 man, preferably one that can score the ball a little. If we can't get DJ White or Donte Greene, I'd give serious consideration to Mitchell Watt or Deon Thompson--all 4 in that order. If you believe this Tony Taylor Jr. rumor however, it sounds as though the Knicks are thinking about adding another guard with that last spot. We'll see.. Releasing Kurt Thomas is another option we might have to free up a roster spot if it looks like Kurt's done.

Next year as some of these contracts come off the books, I'd look to restructure with more youthful talent around the central core that should remain intact, i.e. Michael Loyd Jr. at backup point, Scotty Hopson/Jamelle Horne at the 2/3, a guy like Mitchell Watt at backup 4, Marcus Cousin at backup 5, etc.

Last edited:

jafet6

Benchwarmer

you guys dont have a big 3 era!
a big three consist in 3 all star players, more than 60 wins for more than 2 season, ECF for atleast 2 years and reach an nba final at some point!

you guys still need:

the third player of the big three(amare and anthony)
60+ win seasons
2 ECF with atleast 1 win to reach the finals and be a conference champion!
let alone you need a playoff series win!:teeth:

im pissed at the knicks i am a heat fans but i want the knicks to get stack up and melo to play like he is suposed to be and amare to play like he use to! because unlike other fans i want to see the best competition out there! and i love the way knicks fans are so ****y and arogant! i want i real rivalr! and that why i get mad at the kncisk for being so dumb in acquiring: kidd, camby and Pringioni also paying 15 mil to novac! If knicks fron office was smart enogth they would know that the best way they can creat a solid 1-2 punch with amare is by him playing at the C and carmelo at the 4 or 3! First dumb move was adquiring Tyson chandler! miami could have goten him because miami has a great facilitator in lebron and bosh is a mid range shooter! but amare is a a power dunker in pick and roll situation! They instead of looking for a center to play along side amare they should have went out and find a decent center and a decent pick and roll general to play along side amare also people dont take to account this was the first time amare played without a true pg wihth him! :barf:

I want the knicks to be the 2 best team in the league behind the heat! I want a real rivalry like knciks bulls in the 90's or Lakers vs celtics in the past decade! melo vs bron! the battle of the best small forward even do is not close but the durant and bron is not close either!:agreed:Also if the press dont want to give the mvp to bron next year i wish it goes to melo or paul! Durant is really overated to me also blake is overated to me too!:agreed:

Paul1355

All Star
even though we have PG depth for the first time in a long time, I think we need a 4th PG......no more Shumpert, JR handling the point enough of that nonesense.

We should expect Kidd to get hurt a few times and the minutes will pile up for Prigioni and Felton if that happens so we need 4 PG's...especially because our team has no ball movement without a legit PG