Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Forecast 2012-2013 standings

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    7th seed looks about right to me.

I don't get it why so many posters overrate the new roster.

I'd love us to win the damn Conference, but you gotta stay objective and 7th looks right to me. Maybe 6th if Indiana flop.

Chandler was the worst player on team USA in London. They went with Love and Davis at center every time a game was competitive, because Chandler (the great defender he is) kills your team's offense. His spacing sucks and he's no threat what so ever.

Amar'e is the worst defender I have ever seen and his offense last season was the worst of his career. He wont change, not at 30.

Melo is a pretty good scorer, but he won't play defense and his style of play unfortunately downgrades his teammates.

Jason Kidd is 56 years old.

Raymond Felton looks like he eats 56 burgers a day.

Novak is a blunt weapon in the playoffs.

J.R. Smith will win you 5 games a season on his own, but lose you 30.

Camby and Thomas, as much as I like them for nostalgic reasons, are both way past it and won't save us.

Shumpert, the guy I rest all of my hopes on, had a serious ACL injury and is coming off surgery....nobody knows whether he'll be the same or even be able to fulfill his career. See Terrell Thomas, potential All-Pro corner, suffering from countless ACL injuries....his career is basically over after only one full season.

Sorry guys, but I don't see it in this roster. Feels like 2006/2007.
    Team usa outscore its opponents by like 50 points with chandler on the court.

Melo is a pretty good scorer? Lmao

Camby statistically was the best rebounder last season.

Felton lost 30 pounds and counting.

Jason kidd is a backup and an upgrade from baron davis.

Stoudemires offense got better each month, due to the lockout it was a slow season for him. His defense sucks but it always has.

Oh and chandler kills an offense? Tell that to the 2011 dallas mavs.

Spree-Houston is letting is Knicks-history color glasses do the talking. It's the safe bet to bet against the knicks every year but this year i believe you will be (happily) eating crow for betting against this team.

The #'s that espn put out there are all very close for teams #2-7. I suspect that they wqill be wrong abot the order of the teams, but i think they are right about the top 7 teams there, tho i am expecting the raptors to squeak in this year ahead of the bucks, wizards and hawks

(Sigh) Where do I begin?

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    7th seed looks about right to me.

I don't get it why so many posters overrate the new roster.

I'd love us to win the damn Conference, but you gotta stay objective and 7th looks right to me. Maybe 6th if Indiana flop.

Chandler was the worst player on team USA in London. They went with Love and Davis at center every time a game was competitive, because Chandler (the great defender he is) kills your team's offense. His spacing sucks and he's no threat what so ever. His value was on the defensive end. Has he ever been a real offensive threat? No, so why criticize him for that? How does his spacing suck when he was the beneficiary of many lob passes last season. Also, he won with DAL.

Amar'e is the worst defender I have ever seen and his offense last season was the worst of his career. He wont change, not at 30. His defense is the same as it was in PHX and he was pretty productive there.

Melo is a pretty good scorer, but he won't play defense and his style of play unfortunately downgrades his teammates. Right, so Melo won't play defense at all lol. His "style" of play is expected to be integrated better with a full training camp and new players who will help.

Jason Kidd is 56 years old. He's probably one of the best back-up PGs in the league.

Raymond Felton looks like he eats 56 burgers a day. He's already lost weight and has a lot of people to silence. I wouldn't bet against him this year. We already know he can ball.

Novak is a blunt weapon in the playoffs. Won't make the same mistake twice.

J.R. Smith will win you 5 games a season on his own, but lose you 30. The guy truly wants to be here and win. He tries hard every night and his defense even improved last season. He's making probably half of what his skill level is worth. Valuable bench piece.

Camby and Thomas, as much as I like them for nostalgic reasons, are both way past it and won't save us. If you think Camby and Thomas aren't valuable to a playoff team then you've been misguided. We had serious backup PG and C issues last season, but for some reason you believe two of the most skilled at those positions can't help us???

Shumpert, the guy I rest all of my hopes on, had a serious ACL injury and is coming off surgery....nobody knows whether he'll be the same or even be able to fulfill his career. See Terrell Thomas, potential All-Pro corner, suffering from countless ACL injuries....his career is basically over after only one full season. The guy you rest all your hopes on will be back to full strength at some point. Until then, appreciate that the team went out and got a replacement that's known for playing tough defense all his career.

Sorry guys, but I don't see it in this roster. Feels like 2006/2007.
    We're two deep at each position now. Add to that, the bench replacements are all upgrades. Kurt can do everything JJ could plus knock down jumpers.

here is the WEST if anyone is interested

CONF TEAM W L PCT '12 W '12 L '12 PCT

Okla. City Thunder* 59 23 .720 47 19 .712
    @BeckleyMason: Prediction: Thunder are going to win 62+. Can't imagine any coasting from them after the Finals. Same reason Durant will be MVP. #NBApicks

Join the discussion

Los Angeles Lakers* 59 23 .720 41 25 .621
    @mtg_law_etc: The Lakers are unlikely, due to growing pains and age, to grab the 1-seed in the West, but that isn't their goal. #NBAPicks

Join the discussion

San Antonio Spurs 54 28 .659 50 16 .758
    @BeckleyMason: Spurs expected to have the 3rd biggest drop in winning % in the West despite retaining their entire roster. Don't buy it. #NBApicks

Join the discussion

Los Angeles Clippers* 50 32 .610 40 26 .606
    @charliewiddoes: I like that the bar has been set at 50 wins for the #Clippers. Was their pace last year, is a good test for 2nd year improvement. #NBApicks

Join the discussion

Denver Nuggets* 50 32 .610 38 28 .576

Join the discussion

Memphis Grizzlies 48 34 .586 41 25 .621

Join the discussion

Dallas Mavericks 46 36 .561 36 30 .545

Join the discussion

Utah Jazz* 41 41 .500 36 30 .545

Join the discussion

Minn. Timberwolves* 41 41 .500 26 40 .394
    @PDWolves: I'd love to complain about ESPN predicting 41-41 for the Wolves, but that'd be their best record (by 8 wins) since 2005. #NBApicks

Join the discussion

G.S. Warriors 38 44 .463 23 43 .348
    @fosterdj: Golden State has the firepower, but playoff hopes hinge almost fully on Andrew Bogut's health. Gutless defensive team without him. #NBApicks

Join the discussion

Portland Trail Blazers 35 47 .427 28 38 .424

Join the discussion

Houston Rockets 33 49 .402 34 32 .515

Join the discussion

New Orleans Hornets 31 51 .383 21 45 .318

Join the discussion

Phoenix Suns 30 52 .366 33 33 .500

Join the discussion

Sacramento Kings 29 53 .354 22 44 .333

Join the discussion

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

76ers are very underrated.

Andrew Bynum right now is the best center in the NBA (We don't know Dwight Howard is 100% from his injury and Dwight's game is based on his ability rather than skill, Bynum is polished on both sides of the floor despite being one of the slowest centers in the NBA)

76ers have a center piece and a top 10 player in Bynum, they have to be marked out for, especially with a young duo of Holliday and Turner that oozes with potential and dynamic role playing ability. Along with shooting guards in Richardson and Nick Young who can score off of the amount of double teams Bynum with face. 76ers have something big going on and don't be surprised to see them compete with the Knicks and Celtics.

I'm pretty serious, bookmark this post for reference. No Bobcats.

LMAO @ bobcats comment.

I don't buy Bynum as MVP caliber. I think the Nuggets are the team to watch out for in the west and that people are just sleeping on them. Iggy fits in so well with that team and the whole culture there that I expect he will thrive.

Every year when the forecasts are being published, we get really angry and claim that the Knicks are being underrated. Only to find out that the projections proved to be accurate. Sadly.

Unhappy

Originally Posted by pat
    Every year when the forecasts are being published, we get really angry and claim that the Knicks are being underrated. Only to find out that the projections proved to be accurate. Sadly.
    Funny but true. Sadly

Originally Posted by pat
    THIS X1000

This Knicks team is a joke.

Originally Posted by vpell
    THIS X1000

This Knicks team is a joke.
    I don't know. It all depends on how Melo reacts to the criticism he received and how he can carry that Olympic spirit into training camp, whether Amare working out with The Dream is just a marketing stunt or a genuine attempt to improve his inside game, whether Chandler can stay healthy (and if so, how this fits together with Amare's potential attempt to do more damage inside as Melo's style is killing the floor spacing he is used to), how Felton can orchestrate an offense with two potential black holes and whether our players respond to three 'has beens' who -- nevertheless -- can teach them a thing or two.

This is all quite iffy and while professional analysts are usually rather (too) careful within that kind of scenario, fans tend to be be overly optimistic. Pick your poison. As I have stated before, our biggest problem is still that this a poorly crafted team as Amare's, Melo's and Chandler's style do not fit together. In a GM game it might make sense but designing a functioning offense around them has proven to be a major problem and might very well continue to be so.

ESPN is owned by fans of Boston teams so only they could be so delusional to believe that the Celtics with an overrated bench, an aging KG and Paul Pierce minus Ray Allen will be a 50 win team. These are the same people that always predict that the Red Sox will challenge the '27 Yankees as greatest team ever.

The Nets will be lucky to sneak in as an 8th seeded team. Even though many people rank Joe Johnson as a superstar player, he alone will not teach Brook Lopez how to be a top 3 center and how to rebound a basketball nor turn the Nets from a lottery team to a perennial powerhouse in the EC. I think ESPN just ignores rosters and bases their prediction on a Melo/Amar'e vs Dwill/JJ comparison, this is why ESPN shows why they have just as much credibility when it comes to these predictions as a 10 year old who plays NBA Jam does.

The Bulls have also been another team that ESPN has drooled over dating back to the Jordan era. They were the ones that wanted to see Lebron James land in Chicago. It doesn't suprise me at all that they are picking a team that is missing two of their best players to have one of the best regular seasons in the EC.

What has surprised me about this article is how the Magic and Hawks were not picked to finish ahead of the Knicks given how ESPN has the tendency of putting the Knicks behind those teams. I really do believe that they must think that Derick Rose isn't as impactful of a player as Dwight Howard and Joe Johnson are.

ESPN and this article is a joke. I've seen better articles written on sites like Bleacherreport and Hooopshype.
    Last edited by knicksin60; Aug 22, 2012 at 13:27.

Originally Posted by pat
    I don't think that is a fair assessment. Last year the Knicks started off the season with a coach that needed to have a successful PG in order to have a successful record. And the Knicks had Toney Douglas who was not a PG playing a role that he couldn't live up to.

The season before that, many Knick fans didn't know whether the Knicks were going to be a top team in the East, a playoff team or were going to be an average team.

The two seasons before that, I don't think many Knick fans predicted that the Knicks would be relevant.

This season coming up will be a lot different than those seasons unless Woodson fails to control that lockerroom and fails to develop chemistry on the court. The Knicks are set at every position this season unlike those other seasons, their roster is a lot better than it has been in the past 12 years, and they have a coach who is not afraid to hold players accountable. If everything falls into place the Knicks could very well finish with a better record than the Celtics, Bulls, and Nets and make it to the Eastern Conference Finals.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by p0nder
    LMAO @ bobcats comment.

I don't buy Bynum as MVP caliber. I think the Nuggets are the team to watch out for in the west and that people are just sleeping on them. Iggy fits in so well with that team and the whole culture there that I expect he will thrive.
    Bynum is the no. 2 center in the NBA, and no. 2 big man. Best offensive option in the paint.

I really love what Denver has put together, I think they're as good as OKC.

My wang hardens (no james) thinkin about some of the battles in the west...Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Thunder, Spurs, Grizzlies, Twolves

Originally Posted by pat
    I don't know. It all depends on how Melo reacts to the criticism he received and how he can carry that Olympic spirit into training camp, whether Amare working out with The Dream is just a marketing stunt or a genuine attempt to improve his inside game, whether Chandler can stay healthy (and if so, how this fits together with Amare's potential attempt to do more damage inside as Melo's style is killing the floor spacing he is used to), how Felton can orchestrate an offense with two potential black holes and whether our players respond to three 'has beens' who -- nevertheless -- can teach them a thing or two.

This is all quite iffy and while professional analysts are usually rather (too) careful within that kind of scenario, fans tend to be be overly optimistic. Pick your poison. As I have stated before, our biggest problem is still that this a poorly crafted team as Amare's, Melo's and Chandler's style do not fit together. In a GM game it might make sense but designing a functioning offense around them has proven to be a major problem and might very well continue to be so.

Good post. I would consider myself one of the biggest skeptics on this site and I still think this team should be top 4 in the east. Like you said though, spacing will be an issue. Melo, and even more so Chandler combined with Melo, really impact Amare's effectiveness. I think not having a knock down shooter, particularly at SG, will also hinder spacing.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Bynum is the no. 2 center in the NBA, and no. 2 big man. Best offensive option in the paint.

I really love what Denver has put together, I think they're as good as OKC.

Agreed. I like what Denver has put together too. Iguodala was a great addition and I see McGee becoming one of the best Centers soon. I don't see Denver as good as OKC though, not yet. The only reason is they don't have a legit go to guy and while I love Faried's game, I don't see him as a great compliment to McGee's game. This may sound crazy, but I think Z-Bo on the Nuggets would take them to OKC's level, maybe even better. He's the perfect compliment to McGee and can be the clutch guy at the end of games.