ESPN Forecast 2012-2013 standings

p0nder

Starter
LMAO @ bobcats comment.

I don't buy Bynum as MVP caliber. I think the Nuggets are the team to watch out for in the west and that people are just sleeping on them. Iggy fits in so well with that team and the whole culture there that I expect he will thrive.

pat

Starter
Every year when the forecasts are being published, we get really angry and claim that the Knicks are being underrated. Only to find out that the projections proved to be accurate. Sadly.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Every year when the forecasts are being published, we get really angry and claim that the Knicks are being underrated. Only to find out that the projections proved to be accurate. Sadly.

Funny but true. Sadly:cool:

vpell

Benchwarmer

THIS X1000

This Knicks team is a joke.

pat

Starter
THIS X1000

This Knicks team is a joke.

I don't know. It all depends on how Melo reacts to the criticism he received and how he can carry that Olympic spirit into training camp, whether Amare working out with The Dream is just a marketing stunt or a genuine attempt to improve his inside game, whether Chandler can stay healthy (and if so, how this fits together with Amare's potential attempt to do more damage inside as Melo's style is killing the floor spacing he is used to), how Felton can orchestrate an offense with two potential black holes and whether our players respond to three 'has beens' who -- nevertheless -- can teach them a thing or two.

This is all quite iffy and while professional analysts are usually rather (too) careful within that kind of scenario, fans tend to be be overly optimistic. Pick your poison. As I have stated before, our biggest problem is still that this a poorly crafted team as Amare's, Melo's and Chandler's style do not fit together. In a GM game it might make sense but designing a functioning offense around them has proven to be a major problem and might very well continue to be so.

knicksin60

Starter
ESPN is owned by fans of Boston teams so only they could be so delusional to believe that the Celtics with an overrated bench, an aging KG and Paul Pierce minus Ray Allen will be a 50 win team. These are the same people that always predict that the Red Sox will challenge the '27 Yankees as greatest team ever.

The Nets will be lucky to sneak in as an 8th seeded team. Even though many people rank Joe Johnson as a superstar player, he alone will not teach Brook Lopez how to be a top 3 center and how to rebound a basketball nor turn the Nets from a lottery team to a perennial powerhouse in the EC. I think ESPN just ignores rosters and bases their prediction on a Melo/Amar'e vs Dwill/JJ comparison, this is why ESPN shows why they have just as much credibility when it comes to these predictions as a 10 year old who plays NBA Jam does.

The Bulls have also been another team that ESPN has drooled over dating back to the Jordan era. They were the ones that wanted to see Lebron James land in Chicago. It doesn't suprise me at all that they are picking a team that is missing two of their best players to have one of the best regular seasons in the EC.

What has surprised me about this article is how the Magic and Hawks were not picked to finish ahead of the Knicks given how ESPN has the tendency of putting the Knicks behind those teams. I really do believe that they must think that Derick Rose isn't as impactful of a player as Dwight Howard and Joe Johnson are.

ESPN and this article is a joke. I've seen better articles written on sites like Bleacherreport and Hooopshype.

Last edited:

knicksin60

Starter

I don't think that is a fair assessment. Last year the Knicks started off the season with a coach that needed to have a successful PG in order to have a successful record. And the Knicks had Toney Douglas who was not a PG playing a role that he couldn't live up to.

The season before that, many Knick fans didn't know whether the Knicks were going to be a top team in the East, a playoff team or were going to be an average team.

The two seasons before that, I don't think many Knick fans predicted that the Knicks would be relevant.

This season coming up will be a lot different than those seasons unless Woodson fails to control that lockerroom and fails to develop chemistry on the court. The Knicks are set at every position this season unlike those other seasons, their roster is a lot better than it has been in the past 12 years, and they have a coach who is not afraid to hold players accountable. If everything falls into place the Knicks could very well finish with a better record than the Celtics, Bulls, and Nets and make it to the Eastern Conference Finals.

metrocard

Legend
LMAO @ bobcats comment.

I don't buy Bynum as MVP caliber. I think the Nuggets are the team to watch out for in the west and that people are just sleeping on them. Iggy fits in so well with that team and the whole culture there that I expect he will thrive.

Bynum is the no. 2 center in the NBA, and no. 2 big man. Best offensive option in the paint.

I really love what Denver has put together, I think they're as good as OKC.

KingCharles34

All Star
My wang hardens (no james) thinkin about some of the battles in the west...Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Thunder, Spurs, Grizzlies, Twolves
jerkoff.gif
noah.png

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't know. It all depends on how Melo reacts to the criticism he received and how he can carry that Olympic spirit into training camp, whether Amare working out with The Dream is just a marketing stunt or a genuine attempt to improve his inside game, whether Chandler can stay healthy (and if so, how this fits together with Amare's potential attempt to do more damage inside as Melo's style is killing the floor spacing he is used to), how Felton can orchestrate an offense with two potential black holes and whether our players respond to three 'has beens' who -- nevertheless -- can teach them a thing or two.

This is all quite iffy and while professional analysts are usually rather (too) careful within that kind of scenario, fans tend to be be overly optimistic. Pick your poison. As I have stated before, our biggest problem is still that this a poorly crafted team as Amare's, Melo's and Chandler's style do not fit together. In a GM game it might make sense but designing a functioning offense around them has proven to be a major problem and might very well continue to be so.

Good post. I would consider myself one of the biggest skeptics on this site and I still think this team should be top 4 in the east. Like you said though, spacing will be an issue. Melo, and even more so Chandler combined with Melo, really impact Amare's effectiveness. I think not having a knock down shooter, particularly at SG, will also hinder spacing.

Bynum is the no. 2 center in the NBA, and no. 2 big man. Best offensive option in the paint.

I really love what Denver has put together, I think they're as good as OKC.

Agreed. I like what Denver has put together too. Iguodala was a great addition and I see McGee becoming one of the best Centers soon. I don't see Denver as good as OKC though, not yet. The only reason is they don't have a legit go to guy and while I love Faried's game, I don't see him as a great compliment to McGee's game. This may sound crazy, but I think Z-Bo on the Nuggets would take them to OKC's level, maybe even better. He's the perfect compliment to McGee and can be the clutch guy at the end of games.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Sixers are a worst team than they were last year. Bynum is overrrated. He always has ben. Not saying he isn't a good center, but he is not the best center in the NBA.

Moverover, he is a child. He will kill that team's chemistry.

Iguodala is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. He was the Sixers glue guy, and without him, that team is going to struggle.

p0nder

Starter
Sixers are a worst team than they were last year. Bynum is overrrated. He always has ben. Not saying he isn't a good center, but he is not the best center in the NBA.

Moverover, he is a child. He will kill that team's chemistry.

Iguodala is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. He was the Sixers glue guy, and without him, that team is going to struggle.

Agreed! Bynum may have a wealth of talent but he is not a team leader or the guy you want to hinge your team's success on. The Lakers realized this and decided to make the move to get Howard.