STAT update - speaks on D, and that he'll implement less of a post game than we hope.

Would you prefer that all articles etc be put in to a single player's thread?

• Yes - it's better

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No - it's worse

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer

Hakeem talks about I guess "consulting" players during the season to help the player make adjustments to what he taught. Its good to see he takes that kind of pride in what he teaches considering it cost $100k. The Knicks should just hire Hakeem to be the new assistant coach and let him and LJ just work with Stat year round, but I don't thoink Hakeem would agree.

Hakeem only returns to the States during the summers. He likes the schools and setup he has in Saudi Arabia. Look at the improvement in lebron's games, will be nice to see Amare add it to his game.

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
Cmon, hakeem He needs head fakes with those moves.

Looks like he's talking the talk, again. We'll just have to see. I'm not sold ,yet.

Kiyaman

Legend
I gotta agree with this for the most part...I dont think working with Hakeem was a publicity stunt, perhaps him saying hes gonna be a better defender is.

Excellent post here. I agree 100%, somethings u cant learn overnight. He should have started working on his post moves years ago, and I also think defense is instincts you get from years of putting in alotta effort. He can only really get better from playing which is why i also like what Kiyaman said about how Stat said a few years ago he wanted to get the team together in the summer and practice. That way he could use his new post moves against Chandler, Camby and Kurt Thomas. Practice makes perfect, and I would have Stat guarding just about everyone on that team. Guarding different types of offensive players is one of the best ways to improve defensively. Have him guard Melo, JR Smith. If he can learn to stay with them and get a hand in their faces, he'll be more prepared to defend quicker players if theres a switch or if hes helping with a double team. If Im Woodson i would constantly throw every type of offensive situation at him and make him play some defense. He could really help this team go far and put up a real good fight against Miami, I really hope he starts earning his paychecks.

I agree .. bringing Camby & K.Thomas to N.Y. purpose have to be to tutor Stat's future defensive-effort on par with the elite PF in the league.

Coach Woodson annnd our BIG-3 should invite all our new-veterans to a practice workout 3 weeks before training-camp open .. to get all veterans on the same-page.
I want to see a scrimage-practice of Camby/Stat/Novak/Brewer/Felton vs Tyson/K.Thomas/Melo/Smith/Kidd

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
I agree .. bringing Camby & K.Thomas to N.Y. purpose have to be to tutor Stat's future defensive-effort on par with the elite PF in the league.

Coach Woodson annnd our BIG-3 should invite all our new-veterans to a practice workout 3 weeks before training-camp open .. to get all veterans on the same-page.
I want to see a scrimage-practice of Camby/Stat/Novak/Brewer/Felton vs Tyson/K.Thomas/Melo/Smith/Kidd
Their purpose was also to provide solid front court depth and to ensure the defense and rebounding in the second unit is also on a high level. But I do totally agree that all of these veterans will tutor and provide the support base Amare needs to improve his defense. Tyson's passionate about defense but a diplomatic guy, but Camby & KT are old school and won't hesistate to call out STAT or yell at him mid game for lack of effort on D. He now has all the tools he needs to improve defensively.

I can totally see Amare using "The Dreams" moves. They almost have the same build and have soft hands around the paint. Amare just needs to be confident in the post and try not to force it, use his size, agility to attack the basket in a way that will award him trips to the charity stripe...even if he doesn't convert on the basket. Draw double teams, stay away from the parimeter and stay in communications with Tyson/Camby when on the floor together.

KingCharles34

All Star

That looks good but I would make sure Chandler and Camby get a chance to defend Stat at somepoint too. Make Stat work. Melo too, i would have Brewer guarding him. Stat especially needs the practice against good/great defenders, I could give u more reasons then earth wind and fire as to why....i dont wanna see no more stupid turnovers or Stat getting his shot blocked