View Poll Results: Would you prefer that all articles etc be put in to a single player's thread?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - it's better

2 13.33%
  • No - it's worse

13 86.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: STAT update - speaks on D, and that he'll implement less of a post game than we hope.

Hakeem talks about I guess "consulting" players during the season to help the player make adjustments to what he taught. Its good to see he takes that kind of pride in what he teaches considering it cost $100k. The Knicks should just hire Hakeem to be the new assistant coach and let him and LJ just work with Stat year round, but I don't thoink Hakeem would agree.

I heard STAT say he was going to focus more on defense before last season too. I need to see him do more of it ON the court & do less talking about doing it OFF the court.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Stat had a dominating career in the NBA, always ranking in the top-5 PF each season .. except lastseason with .....

B4real .. how much could Stat learn in two weeks with Hakeem .. one or two moves on offense, one or two moves on defense .. this was more like a publicity stunt more than anything.

I like Stat's idea in the 2010 offseason better .. practicing/workingout with teammates in the Knicks summer facility during July & August.
    I gotta agree with this for the most part...I dont think working with Hakeem was a publicity stunt, perhaps him saying hes gonna be a better defender is.

Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Agreed. Post moves depend on INSTINCTS because your back is to the basket and to the defense. You can't see the hoop or what's coming. You have to be able to visualize where the basket is and use your body and do it quick because a double-team is coming and you have to make the defense react to you and dictate the action. No way you learn a post game in 2 weeks. You can't even learn the dream shake in two weeks. Its tough to learn one go-to post move in two weeks. It takes YEARS to develop a post game. Really sounds like a publicity stunt. But who knows.....
    Excellent post here. I agree 100%, somethings u cant learn overnight. He should have started working on his post moves years ago, and I also think defense is instincts you get from years of putting in alotta effort. He can only really get better from playing which is why i also like what Kiyaman said about how Stat said a few years ago he wanted to get the team together in the summer and practice. That way he could use his new post moves against Chandler, Camby and Kurt Thomas. Practice makes perfect, and I would have Stat guarding just about everyone on that team. Guarding different types of offensive players is one of the best ways to improve defensively. Have him guard Melo, JR Smith. If he can learn to stay with them and get a hand in their faces, he'll be more prepared to defend quicker players if theres a switch or if hes helping with a double team. If Im Woodson i would constantly throw every type of offensive situation at him and make him play some defense. He could really help this team go far and put up a real good fight against Miami, I really hope he starts earning his paychecks.

Were not going to get much more defensively out of Amare but he should focus on what he can do well.

He should just improve on defensive positioning and being a pesky defender, he is a great shot blocker and should work on that as much as possible.

STAT/Tyson/Camby is a pretty good shotblocking threat.

Evidence Amare can swat shots and alter them with the motivation.

Superstar

Wow, Amar'e has lost so much weight going by those videos.

Originally Posted by Wargames

Hakeem talks about I guess "consulting" players during the season to help the player make adjustments to what he taught. Its good to see he takes that kind of pride in what he teaches considering it cost $100k. The Knicks should just hire Hakeem to be the new assistant coach and let him and LJ just work with Stat year round, but I don't thoink Hakeem would agree.
    Hakeem only returns to the States during the summers. He likes the schools and setup he has in Saudi Arabia. Look at the improvement in lebron's games, will be nice to see Amare add it to his game.

Cmon, hakeem He needs head fakes with those moves.

Looks like he's talking the talk, again. We'll just have to see. I'm not sold ,yet.

Veteran

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    I gotta agree with this for the most part...I dont think working with Hakeem was a publicity stunt, perhaps him saying hes gonna be a better defender is.

Excellent post here. I agree 100%, somethings u cant learn overnight. He should have started working on his post moves years ago, and I also think defense is instincts you get from years of putting in alotta effort. He can only really get better from playing which is why i also like what Kiyaman said about how Stat said a few years ago he wanted to get the team together in the summer and practice. That way he could use his new post moves against Chandler, Camby and Kurt Thomas. Practice makes perfect, and I would have Stat guarding just about everyone on that team. Guarding different types of offensive players is one of the best ways to improve defensively. Have him guard Melo, JR Smith. If he can learn to stay with them and get a hand in their faces, he'll be more prepared to defend quicker players if theres a switch or if hes helping with a double team. If Im Woodson i would constantly throw every type of offensive situation at him and make him play some defense. He could really help this team go far and put up a real good fight against Miami, I really hope he starts earning his paychecks.

I agree .. bringing Camby & K.Thomas to N.Y. purpose have to be to tutor Stat's future defensive-effort on par with the elite PF in the league.

Coach Woodson annnd our BIG-3 should invite all our new-veterans to a practice workout 3 weeks before training-camp open .. to get all veterans on the same-page.
    I want to see a scrimage-practice of Camby/Stat/Novak/Brewer/Felton vs Tyson/K.Thomas/Melo/Smith/Kidd

I agree .. bringing Camby & K.Thomas to N.Y. purpose have to be to tutor Stat's future defensive-effort on par with the elite PF in the league.

Coach Woodson annnd our BIG-3 should invite all our new-veterans to a practice workout 3 weeks before training-camp open .. to get all veterans on the same-page.
    I want to see a scrimage-practice of Camby/Stat/Novak/Brewer/Felton vs Tyson/K.Thomas/Melo/Smith/Kidd
    Their purpose was also to provide solid front court depth and to ensure the defense and rebounding in the second unit is also on a high level. But I do totally agree that all of these veterans will tutor and provide the support base Amare needs to improve his defense. Tyson's passionate about defense but a diplomatic guy, but Camby & KT are old school and won't hesistate to call out STAT or yell at him mid game for lack of effort on D. He now has all the tools he needs to improve defensively.

Veteran

I can totally see Amare using "The Dreams" moves. They almost have the same build and have soft hands around the paint. Amare just needs to be confident in the post and try not to force it, use his size, agility to attack the basket in a way that will award him trips to the charity stripe...even if he doesn't convert on the basket. Draw double teams, stay away from the parimeter and stay in communications with Tyson/Camby when on the floor together.

That looks good but I would make sure Chandler and Camby get a chance to defend Stat at somepoint too. Make Stat work. Melo too, i would have Brewer guarding him. Stat especially needs the practice against good/great defenders, I could give u more reasons then earth wind and fire as to why....i dont wanna see no more stupid turnovers or Stat getting his shot blocked