Who has more to prove this season?

Who has more to prove in 2012/2013?

• Total voters

nyk_nyk

All Star
Who has more to prove this upcoming season?

Amare Stoudemire
i

Once the prince of NYC sports, STAT is coming off his worst year as a pro and needs to prove to this fanbase that he is worth the money being paid to him.

His previous back injury, the lockout, short training camp, condensed season and brother's death have all been well documented. However, this is a results-based city with high expectations, especially for a player who once proclaimed "NY is back". The arrival of Melo and birth of Linsanity has taken most of the spotlight off him (rightfully so) and has even caused questions about his ability to compete at a high level for 48 minutes.

STAT has been connecting with his fans tweeting and posting media all summer showing everyone how hard he's been working to come back better than ever. This is certainly great news, but then we get back to those two connecting words that mean so much around these parts... RESULTS-BASED.

OR

Raymond Felton
images

Once the co-leader for a rejuvinated knicks squad, Felton has fallen from grace as a result of lack of motivation and fitness issues. Felton, with the help of STAT, became a top pg in the EC and showed everyone what he could do when allowed to be more agressive and free in the MDA system.

Being traded to Denver didn't sit well with Felton, plus going from starter to reserve made things worse. While the team was having success, Felton eventually lost his edge with the change of scenery and soon became an "average" pg again. The eventual trade to POR didn't help matters either as he constantly had issues with the coach, resulting in fluctuating minutes.

Felton is now back where he wants to be and plans to show everyone that he isn't a downgrade from the short lived Linsanity or an out of shape "average" pg who can only thrive in a fast pased system. Lin is a worldwide phenomenon and Felton has become the guy that replaced him, which is a tough spot to be in. This carries a lot of pressure even though Felton has way more experience and put up similar numbers in his previous stint with the Knicks.

Bottom line is Felton is young enough to get another valuable payday at the end of his contract. This will be his last opportunity to prove he can lead this ready-to-win-now Knicks team and convince the league that he is a true "above average" starting PG with all-star potential.

Begin.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
I would say its about 70% Amare 30% Riverside Ray.

Amare has more to prove because of the contract he has.

Ray has alot to prove because this is pretty much his last chance to shine in a starting role as a pg on a championship caliber team. :2cents:

nyk_nyk

All Star
I would say its about 70% Amare 30% Riverside Ray.

Amare has more to prove because of the contract he has.

Ray has alot to prove because this is pretty much his last chance to shine in a starting role as a pg on a championship caliber team. :2cents:

I totally agree. I also think you can make a case for both when you factor in the Linsanity shoes Ray has to fill, unfortunately.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
I totally agree. I also think you can make a case for both when you factor in the Linsanity shoes Ray has to fill, unfortunately.

Damn I almost forgot good point on the Lin ****. People are gonna start yapping about Lin the second he has a bad game. Even though the guy was a turnover machine. As long as he is feeding Melo and Amare the assist should pile up. I look for him to also return with the same chip on his shoulder he had during the first run with the Knicks:agreed:

blahwoop

Benchwarmer
I still think Felton is a scrub until he proves me wrong.

Key to success is Amare playing like a beast. Esp when he tried to fight the fire extinguisher. If he sucks this year. everyone will be calling for his head.

If Felton sucks everybody will just say "I told you so"

orangeblobman

Rotation player
STAT, I don't think Felton has to prove anything.

We know what Felton is and he will do for us, anything extra is a great bonus.

STAT is the superstar coming off a disappointing season. STAT has to come in and dunk nuts on everyone.

KingCharles34

All Star
Easily Stat...I can understand Rays situation, he was on a bum team and alotta players had their problems last year with the shortened season. Stat on the other hand was on a playoff last year and he had one of his worst years.

Kiyaman

Legend
Time to be open-minded "Truth Hurts"

The day Carmelo Anthony arrived in New York the Knicks went back to its 2001 to 2009 Chaotic behaviour .. getting SWEEP in the first round with super-star Rice then super-star Marbury having one to many 23 win seasons.

The 2011-12 Knicks season with Carmelo Anthony getting the ball on every offensive possession started the season with a 8-15 record before getting injured .. Who saved the Knicks 2011-12 season from becoming a 23 win season? a product from the D.League who performance was labeled "Lin-Sanity" .. The Truth Hurts!!!

Now who is it that need the most improvement next season?
The career super-star who gets knocked out of the playoff in the first-round...

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The day Carmelo Anthony arrived in New York the Knicks went back to its 2001 to 2009 Chaotic behaviour .. getting SWEEP in the first round with super-star Rice then super-star Marbury having one to many 23 win seasons.

The 2011-12 Knicks season with Carmelo Anthony getting the ball on every offensive possession started the season with a 8-15 record before getting injured .. Who saved the Knicks 2011-12 season from becoming a 23 win season? a product from the D.League who performance was labeled "Lin-Sanity" .. The Truth Hurts!!!

Now who is it that need the most improvement next season?
The career super-star who gets knocked out of the playoff in the first-round...

This holds no baring to circumstance.

Yes, Melo was rubbish at the start of last season. I'll pay you that. But the circumstances surrounding NY's last 2 playoff exits were not in the team's favour. Blaming any one individual for that, or choosing to ignore that fact for the sake of pointing fingers is unfair.

Kiyaman

Legend
Crazy⑧s;247207 said:
This holds no baring to circumstance.

Yes, Melo was rubbish at the start of last season. I'll pay you that. But the circumstances surrounding NY's last 2 playoff exits were not in the team's favour. Blaming any one individual for that, or choosing to ignore that fact for the sake of pointing fingers is unfair.

Crazy.... I would probably respond the same as u did when someone blame one player for a teams poor performance .. but I played on some great teams that eventually added the Melo/Marbury type of player to the team which caused such a low morale in teammates effort to where teammates were coming-up with every excuse in the world to not come to practice, myself included. Some players could take all the fun out of playing basketball .. ThankGod we have trades.
Dont believe the hype, "one bad Apple can spoil the bunch", that is why in the medical field some peeps have to be quarrentine from others.

In November 2011 we did not need the Melo-trade we needed to add a starting SG, and Fire Dantoni in the process.
When the Denver Nuggets didnt lose one step, but gained an extra step in their playoff race after losing two super-stars Melo/Billups shouldve been a "RED-FLAG" for all Knicks Fans when we got swept in the first round by a no-center Boston Celtics, and the Denver Nuggets went 5 close games with the young dominating OKC Thunder in the post season.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Crazy.... I would probably respond the same as u did when someone blame one player for a teams poor performance .. but I played on some great teams that eventually added the Melo/Marbury type of player to the team which caused such a low morale in teammates effort to where teammates were coming-up with every excuse in the world to not come to practice, myself included. Some players could take all the fun out of playing basketball .. ThankGod we have trades.
Dont believe the hype, "one bad Apple can spoil the bunch", that is why in the medical field some peeps have to be quarrentine from others.

In November 2011 we did not need the Melo-trade we needed to add a starting SG, and Fire Dantoni in the process.
When the Denver Nuggets didnt lose one step, but gained an extra step in their playoff race after losing two super-stars Melo/Billups shouldve been a "RED-FLAG" for all Knicks Fans when we got swept in the first round by a no-center Boston Celtics, and the Denver Nuggets went 5 close games with the young dominating OKC Thunder in the post season.

Kiya.....I hear you. But in all that you said, you didn't manage to mention the point I made in the post you quoted. That being, the Knicks were incredibly unfortunate in both first round losses, with injuries and even ailments.

They both have a lot to prove but I have to lean more towards STAT simply because he is an all-star and is on the 100M contract. STAT has to prove that he's still got it and that last year was just a bad year. Felton has to prove he isn't just an average pg and that it wasn't MDA's system that was just making him look good.

Kiyaman

Legend
Crazy⑧s;247216 said:
Kiya.....I hear you. But in all that you said, you didn't manage to mention the point I made in the post you quoted. That being, the Knicks were incredibly unfortunate in both first round losses, with injuries and even ailments.

I made my point very clear .. we all know the majority of players in Baseball/Football/Soccer/Basketball are all injured in someway when the postseason arrives .. if it aint broken star-players like K.Martin/Billups/Amare will appear in all postseason games .. except when one of their teammates are name Carmelo Anthony.

Having Billups experience running the Knicks series vs the Boston Celtics .. the no-center Celtics didnt have a chance at winning 2 games vs the Big-Shot-Billups Knicks in a series .. The first game of the Boston series Billups held a 5+ point lead over the Celtics from the open tap to the final 2 minutes of the game when Billups got injured, or did Billups get injured? or did Billups get damn tired of Melo begging-begging for the ball for 46 minutes looking at Dantoni everytime he was denied the ball?
Those last 2 minutes without Billups in the lineup, PG-TD refuse Melo the ball to hit a 3 pointer to give the Knicks a 6 point lead with 1.35 remaining in the game. How did the Knicks lose that DAMN game???

A selfish egotistical Melo had Dolan extend his contract before the regular season ended .. Billups was working on getting his contract extended before the Knicks postseason ended .. did Melo offer any help to teammate Billups at getting his contract extended???

Crazy.... heres a question for u .. Why did the Knicks waste their amnesty on Billups when they didnt have to agree to his final offersheet???

blahwoop

Benchwarmer
I guess you weren't paying attention to the knicks when Felton was the starting PG. :no:

yeah i also remember Jason Kidd when he was with the Nets, Marcus Camby when he was the starting center for the Knicks and Kurt Thomas with the Heat. oh yeah don't forget STAT when he was with the Suns. doesn't mean ****. There is also the argument about PG's and D'antoni's system.

Felton was a fatty and was benched for awhile last season. Like I said, he's still a scrub to me until he proves me wrong. which i hope he does. It won't be hard either because I have 0 expectations for Felton.