Who should the Knicks have gotten this offseason?

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Sup fellas.

First of all, I'd like to say that the Knicks front office did a terrific job with filling in the holes (giggity) on this team. Back up center? Check. Pass first point guards? check. 2 guard to fill in until Shump returns? check. We're right there for Eastern conference domination, IMO. So, bravo, Grunwald and gang. :peace:

But, back to the point of this thread, who do you think, out of all the 2012 free agents, should the Knicks have gotten?

Let me start things off..

To me, it has go to be Ray Allen. His game would just absolutely shine with the roster we have. Novak and Allen would have been a nightmare for other teams to guard, especially if you put Melo and TC along with them. If there's one thing that this team lacks, it is a bonafide shooter at the 2 guard spot. :2cents:

So tell me KOL, who's your pick? :smokin:

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Difficult question for me to answer, because I do not know very well who was available this off-season. But I also think Ray Allen would have been a strong signing, because he would come in and drain the treys, drop the buckets. Ray Allen is a Hall of Fame player so you can't go wrong by signing him.

I really like our signings though, and I do not see much that I would like to change.

For the first time in many years the team looks complete.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Difficult question for me to answer, because I do not know very well who was available this off-season. But I also think Ray Allen would have been a strong signing, because he would come in and drain the treys, drop the buckets. Ray Allen is a Hall of Fame player so you can't go wrong by signing him.

I really like our signings though, and I do not see much that I would like to change.

For the first time in many years the team looks complete.

Word. I, too, think that we can be true contenders for the championship next season. But I just can't help but think that we're one piece away.. a shooter maybe? a backup 4, perhaps??

I hate this part of the offseason! Can it just start already? Jesus Christ. :couto:

nyk_nyk

All Star
I really like our new players but if we could have found a way to get Odom to backup STAT... WHOOOOO! that would have been beastly.

Yeah Yeah I know Odom sucked balls in DAL but I really think he just lost interest mid way through. He can still ball.

p0nder

Starter
I think we whiffed on the Nash signing and that he would of been the right PG to complement Melo and STAT.

I'm happy with how things turned out, but I really felt we had a good shot at Nash and we got screwed over by the raptors and the lakers. I also think the belief we had a very good shot at Nash may have been a factor in not resigning Lin.

I'll take my chances with Novak as our shooter. Not really interested in Ray Allen because he's a primadonna locker room guy. Novak is very well liked by this roster. Hoping him and felton get it working right.

tiger0330

Legend
Wish we could have kept JLin. Lin is a first round draft talent that is better than Jimmer who was picked at 11 just slipped through the Knicks hands.

I understand about the new CBA luxury tax but damn we paid Curry and James 90M to sit on the bench for 4 years.

I see a couple of Taiwanese companies just signed up with the Rockets, one of them having a deal with the Knicks last year since JLin left for Houston. If JLin has a couple of good years he could have made up some of that luxury tax with Chinese marketing deals.

finestrg

Rotation player
Just my :2cents::

(1) Should've brought back Lin. I know, I know - broken record and water under the bridge but I'm having trouble letting it go fellas...I know the contract he signed was a joke (shouldn't have come to that anyway -- the Knicks failed to keep communications open or even initiate any discussion with Lin and his agent to begin with -- that's on them, not Lin...They were willing to let other teams dictate Lin's worth right from jumpstreet and then didn't like the outcome) but when push came to shove, Dolan should've recognized that he was probably the best young player we've had since drafting Pat Ewing. And I think he's only gonna get better. A dynamic young player like that with the impact the dude had??? Jeez, what a waste to let him go...He was our guy -- we took the chance on him..Smh...Bottom line is Dolan felt betrayed somewhat or whatever and came off looking both egotistical and scared of the price tag in the end. That's why you got guys like this dickhead Prokhorov calling him "the little man." Comment was rude as hell but you know what? Dude's pretty much on target saying that...Say what you want about Prokhorov, and I think he's a douchebag--he and his Net team can go suck it--but he would've resigned Lin.

(2) Should've squeezed out one more piece in the Felton deal. Should've gotten a young 2G back, either Will Barton or at least Jon Diebler. I like Felton and I'm glad he's back but we didn't have to make that deal. I would've played hardball with Portland more. If they didn't want to give me Barton or Diebler, I would've told them to go suck it and would've resigned Lin. At least make Portland think about it. Come on. At the time we made that deal, we didn't have Brewer yet. We needed a backup 2G (or a starter, however you want to think about it). I respect Brewer and will root for him but I gotta question the move. I think we could've done better. I'd argue Will Barton's a better talent..Even guys like James Anderson & Sonny Weems...Hopefully I'm wrong about Brewer & he plays well here.

(3) Glenny G's done a decent job overall this off-season I suppose but I'd like to see him do a better job of shoring up the back end of the roster now. It's the only thing left to do. Instead of being aggressive with whatever he's got left to work with (which is basically guaranteed vet minimum offers -- which looks like it could be enough to sign some of the decent FA talent that's still on the board out there), he appears to have gotten complacent. Been saying it -- I wanted one more scoring big and one more 2G with talent for insurance...Esp. the scoring big. Gimmie DJ White to backup Amar'e and I'll forget about not getting Donte Greene and James Anderson for peanuts. Go get White before someone else does. If I hear White winds up settling for some non-guaranteed training camp invite by some team out there I'm gonna vomit.

Last edited:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Just my :2cents::

(1) Should've brought back Lin. I know, I know - broken record and water under the bridge but I'm having trouble letting it go fellas...I know the contract he signed was a joke (shouldn't have come to that anyway -- the Knicks failed to keep communications open or even initiate any discussion with Lin and his agent to begin with -- that's on them, not Lin...They were willing to let other teams dictate Lin's worth right from jumpstreet and then didn't like the outcome) but when push came to shove, Dolan should've recognized that he was probably the best young player we've had since drafting Pat Ewing. And I think he's only gonna get better. A dynamic young player like that with the impact the dude had??? Jeez, what a waste to let him go...He was our guy -- we took the chance on him..Smh...Bottom line is Dolan felt betrayed somewhat or whatever and came off looking both egotistical and scared of the price tag in the end. That's why you got guys like this dickhead Prokhorov calling him "the little man." Comment was rude as hell but you know what? Dude's pretty much on target saying that...Say what you want about Prokhorov, and I think he's a douchebag--he and his Net team can go suck it--but he would've resigned Lin.

(2) Should've squeezed out one more piece in the Felton deal. Should've gotten a young 2G back, either Will Barton or at least Jon Diebler. I like Felton and I'm glad he's back but we didn't have to make that deal. I would've played hardball with Portland more. If they didn't want to give me Barton or Diebler, I would've told them to go suck it and would've resigned Lin. At least make Portland think about it. Come on. At the time we made that deal, we didn't have Brewer yet. We needed a backup 2G (or a starter, however you want to think about it). I respect Brewer and will root for him but I gotta question the move. I think we could've done better. I'd argue Will Barton's a better talent..Even guys like James Anderson & Sonny Weems...Hopefully I'm wrong about Brewer & he plays well here.

(3) Glenny G's done a decent job overall this off-season I suppose but I'd like to see him do a better job of shoring up the back end of the roster now. It's the only thing left to do. Instead of being aggressive with whatever he's got left to work with (which is basically guaranteed vet minimum offers -- which looks like it could be enough to sign some of the decent FA talent that's still on the board out there), he appears to have gotten complacent. Been saying it -- I wanted one more scoring big and one more 2G with talent for insurance...Esp. the scoring big. Gimmie DJ White to backup Amar'e and I'll forget about not getting Donte Greene and James Anderson for peanuts. Go get White before someone else does. If I hear White winds up settling for some non-guaranteed training camp invite by some team out there I'm gonna vomit.

finestrg, i like DJ White too.

I don't know how but I watched a Bobcats game last season and his mid range jumper was pure money. He had 4 or 5 mid range hits that game. He also hustled on the boards as well. Perfect fit as a backup, his ability to hit the mid range shot gives more space for Tyson and Melo to work down low in the paint.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I'd like to get DJ White, too, and that reminds me of Mirza Teletovic, who was linked with us by some people on this forum, and now he is with the Nets.

I would've liked Mirza here because I think he's a big guy that can tickle the twine.

finestrg

Rotation player
finestrg, i like DJ White too.

I don't know how but I watched a Bobcats game last season and his mid range jumper was pure money. He had 4 or 5 mid range hits that game. He also hustled on the boards as well. Perfect fit as a backup, his ability to hit the mid range shot gives more space for Tyson and Melo to work down low in the paint.

Absolutely bro -- I think you might be referring to the game at the Garden where we lost to those guys. I was at that game and you're right bro -- White was damn impressive, knocking down mid-range Js all over the joint. Nice player...All I ask is that we reach out and show the man we're interested. White may be holding out for a better deal for now and that's fine. Thing is, it man not be out there esp. after what Donte Greene just settled for...Offer a training camp invite or better yet a guaranteed vet. min. deal. Why the F not? I don't think DJ White wants to go to Europe. He would've went already...Come on -- this guy's worth a vet min. deal. Every penny.. He's probably worth 5X that amount. The man can play. Why *****foot around here --- identify the need (a capable backup behind Amar'e, preferably a guy that can score, not just another defender/rebounding big) and pull the trigger..DJ White fits the bill here 100%. Been saying it -- if Amar'e ever goes down we're completely devoid of any scoring up front. I think STAT's gonna have a fantastic bounce-back yr but the fact of the matter is he's been hurt the past 2 seasons and missed some time. I want insurance here. We need it. And to me, the answer isn't 40+ yr old Kurt Thomas. Thinking KT is that guy at this stage of his career is a mistake..If we could get a guy like White, I'd cut Thomas outright and use the open spot on a younger, more viable player. I'd bring in White and guarantee him any mins. we may have planned to give KT. Just my 2 cents..

We need a capable scoring PF-type that could jump in at a moment's notice and maintain a solid scoring threat inside. Otherwise, we'll wind up being that much easier a team to defend in the unfortunate scenario Amar'e even goes down. Donte Greene can score and I would've welcomed him here but he's probably more of a big SF a-la Tim Thomas. We already have Novacaine for that role kinda...White's more of your typical PF. Better fit. Dude has played well in the NBA thusfar and showed very good potential at Indiana as a scorer/rebounder/shot-blocker. I say we go get him.

p0nder

Starter
Just wanted to point out that I disagree about weems/anderson/barton/deiber being better then brewer. Brewer is the better player and the better fit for this team then any of those guys.

While I agree that we should have gotten one back from the felton deal, I still prefer having brewer over those guys. He is a very underrated pick up this off-season and speaks volumes about Glenny G's ability to do the quiet, nessicary things to make this team better. I have to say, even if Glen is a Zeke guy he's doing a fine job with it thus far.

finestrg

Rotation player
Just wanted to point out that I disagree about weems/anderson/barton/deiber being better then brewer. Brewer is the better player and the better fit for this team then any of those guys.

While I agree that we should have gotten one back from the felton deal, I still prefer having brewer over those guys. He is a very underrated pick up this off-season and speaks volumes about Glenny G's ability to do the quiet, nessicary things to make this team better. I have to say, even if Glen is a Zeke guy he's doing a fine job with it thus far.

Fair enough. Man I'd give anything for you to be right and for me to be dead wrong about Ronnie, trust me. I just don't know about having a SG that can't shoot the ball. Just went through that with Fields and I think Fields may be a better all-around player than Brewer. Toronto thought so anyway. They certainly paid Landry like that was the case, whether that was a mistake or not...And then I gotta wonder if Brewer really has the type of defensive impact we're all hoping for on guys like LeBron, Wade, Allen, Pierce, Joe Johnson...I doubt anyone's stopping those guys but it'd be nice to make them at least work hard on the other end though...Will Brewer be able to do that? I dunno. We'll see.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Ray Allen.

I feel the same way sometimes...but then I say to myself is it better to have Kidd or not?

Felton
Allen
Melo
Amare
Chandler

That lineup creates a lot of problems....yet our PG situation off the bench would be worry some. I mean Prigioni is a raw 35 year old player and Shump and JR can play point in stretches but if Felton goes down for a couple games we are looking at a huge whole at the very position that lead to us underachieving last year!

Kidd is more of a vocal leader and is going to help players like Shump and even Felton get better next year.

Plus Ray is a liability of D.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Goran Dragic. We should have just signed and traded Jeremy Lin for him. He is much better than Lin and the Rockets are stupid for letting him go

Kiyaman

Legend
I wouldve resign Lin/Fields/Novak before they couldve blinked an eye the first week of July (the trio of players future trade-value risen sky high).
I wouldve went full force after both Kidd & Ray Allen to be our 2012-13 starters (if no Ray, sign Brewer).
Plus I wouldve did the trade for Camby/K.Thomas/Felton.
If I couldnt find a team to sign n trade JR.Smith for a young bigman I would let JR.Smith walk.

Grunwald only showing interest in resigning Novak/Smith puts up a "RED FLAG" of question towards the Knicks organization on the cause n effect of "Lin-Sanity" .. Novak receiving a $14M contract for 4 years is crazy expensive.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
I feel the same way sometimes...but then I say to myself is it better to have Kidd or not?

Felton
Allen
Melo
Amare
Chandler

That lineup creates a lot of problems....yet our PG situation off the bench would be worry some. I mean Prigioni is a raw 35 year old player and Shump and JR can play point in stretches but if Felton goes down for a couple games we are looking at a huge whole at the very position that lead to us underachieving last year!

Kidd is more of a vocal leader and is going to help players like Shump and even Felton get better next year.

Plus Ray is a liability of D.

Well if we matched Lin, regardless, we dont' need Felton, we signed and traded for Camby, signed Kidd outright, then signed and traded for Allen for the pieces we sent to Portland in the Felton trade.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I don't understand this whole "we should have gotten Allen". You realize player movement in the NBA is more about "where does the player want to be" than "will this team go after this player". The Knicks don't have the clout or front office savvy to attract players who actually want to play for hardware. I don't think Allen ever had NYK on his radar.