Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: My Gym

Johnny Bravo is awesome.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by orangeblobman
    In the words of the Great Mark Rippetoe:

"PHYSICAL STRENGTH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN LIFE...A WEAK MAN IS NOT AS HAPPY AS THAT SAME MAN WOULD BE IF HE WERE STRONG...THIS REALITY IS OFFENSIVE TO SOME PEOPLE WHO WOULD LIKE THE INTELLECTUAL OR SPIRITUAL TO TAKE PRECEDENCE. IT IS INSTRUCTIVE TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO THESE VERY PEOPLE AS THEIR SQUAT STRENGTH GOES UP."
    I can't front, my swagger increased when I first squatted 405lbs at 160lbs.
    I still can't say its the most important thing in life.
    That's a preference.

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    Johnny Bravo is awesome.
    All time great cartoon.

Video or it didn't happen

You're trying to tell me you're one of the strongest men in the world:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Veteran

Originally Posted by orangeblobman
    You're trying to tell me you're one of the strongest men in the world:

Porque?

That puts him between advanced/elite. Even in the context of your list, it seems highly plausible for a highly trained athlete, in his prime....?

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    Porque?

That puts him between advanced/elite. Even in the context of your list, it seems highly plausible for a highly trained athlete, in his prime....?
    Anything is possible.

Martin Berkhan, a highly respected figure in the strength and fitness game, says that:

Under the exact same conditions, all of the following goals should be reached within ten years. Alternatively, 3 out of 4 should be reached, and one should be "Elite":

Bench press: body weight x 1.5, or x 1.8 (elite)

Chin-ups or pull-ups: body weight x 1.5 or 15 reps with body weight, or x 1.8 / 20 reps (elite)

Squat: body weight x 2, or x 2.4 (elite)

Deadlift: body weight x 2.5, or x 3 (elite)
    So with about 10 years, maybe a little less maybe a little more, of training, a guy should be able to squat 2.4 times his bodyweight.

2.4*160 = 384.

Metro is trying to tell me that he squats more than 2.4 times his bodyweight, all while admitting that he doesn't specialize in strength training.

405 pounds for a 1/4 squat in a Smith machine doesn't count as "squatting 405 lbs".

I added music to this one, from today:

Powered by [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

You see, you can train for strength anywhere you are, including a beach, with some rocks laying around.

That was a hell of a work-out. I did some front squats with the same rock after this, and I felt like I feel after a 45 minute barbell session.

The awkwardness of the stone added to the challenge and also the fun of the lifting. That was HARD WORK, but it was FUN, and it made me STRONGER!!!!!!!!

STRENGTH TRAINING IS SIMPLE, IT'S MANDATORY, TRAINING IS NOT OPTIONAL.
    Last edited by orangeblobman; Sep 22, 2012 at 02:17.

12th man

I don't really need to specialize in strength training to be able to squat 405.

Key to squat is actually flexibility.

I don't really care to prove anything, its something I did last year, believe or not; doesn't change anything.

I'm qualified in olympic lifting because while I was at college I went through various courses that taught me mastery of all olympic lifts and also how to train someone to master the technique in a matter of time. These are the skills that pay my bills, so respect my hustle; I'm a Personal Trainer.

orangeblog, you're a giant clown...especially for that rock press video.

Only way I can assess you is a guy with brainless muscles. You cater to strength but don't even use methods that may actually increase your strength and condition a body that needs extreme condition.

Your body is soft as baby ****, and your knowledge on exercise science goes as far as a googled article on exercise, nothing passed that. Let's see you create an dynamic 6 month program for someone who's 290 pounds with cancer and help lose 40 pounds by applying exercises that won't cause any damage to their bad knee or pinched nerve.

You're an amateur, I don't know why you're hating so hard on me. Why can't I be one of the strongest men in the world? I don't really want to and have zero ambition to be, but why is that so hard for you to accept? I work hard at what I do, for you to try to take that away shows your really ignorant side.

You're fat and I squat more than you at 160 and 7% body fat. I'm guessing thats where your anger is being generated from.

Heres a tip: Work on your tumbling and gymnastics skills. Educate your muscles, add intelligence and beauty to your movements; avoid awkward doofy and forced movements. Let your breathing move your muscles. Flexibility and timing will add more potential strength instead of just trying to pick everything up with your arms like a dumbass. Practice, but don't rush it.

I'm kinda disgusted, can anyone save this thread? I know orangeblog makes crappy post, but I don't know where to go from here. Nothing productive to talk really.

Originally Posted by metrocard

I don't really care to prove anything, its something I did last year, believe or not; doesn't change anything.

I'm qualified in olympic lifting because while I was at college I went through various courses that taught me mastery of all olympic lifts and also how to train someone to master the technique in a matter of time. These are the skills that pay my bills, so respect my hustle; I'm a Personal Trainer.

Only way I can assess you is a guy with brainless muscles. You cater to strength but don't even use methods that may actually increase your strength and condition a body that needs extreme condition.

Your body is soft as baby ****, and your knowledge on exercise science goes as far as a googled article on exercise, nothing passed that. Let's see you create an dynamic 6 month program for someone who's 290 pounds with cancer and help lose 40 pounds by applying exercises that won't cause any damage to their bad knee or pinched nerve.

You're an amateur, I don't know why you're hating so hard on me. Why can't I be one of the strongest men in the world? I don't really want to and have zero ambition to be, but why is that so hard for you to accept? I work hard at what I do, for you to try to take that away shows your really ignorant side.

You're fat and I squat more than you at 160 and 7% body fat. I'm guessing thats where your anger is being generated from.

Heres a tip: Work on your tumbling and gymnastics skills. Educate your muscles, add intelligence and beauty to your movements; avoid awkward doofy and forced movements. Let your breathing move your muscles. Flexibility and timing will add more potential strength instead of just trying to pick everything up with your arms like a dumbass. Practice, but don't rush it.

I'm kinda disgusted, can anyone save this thread? I know orangeblog makes crappy post, but I don't know where to go from here. Nothing productive to talk really.
    this has been an enertaining thread with nothing else Knick-wise to talk about other than
    conjecture and endless dissing. classic Metrocard put-down of OBM yet offering positive
    reinforcement at the same time. passive aggressive love hate.

ya gotta admit, OBM offering up that rock pump video is classic retardation!
    the man is unique!

i'm happy to know a KO poster is one of the strongest men in the world.
    but who is it, OBM or Metrocard? that rock looks heavy as f*ck!!

Originally Posted by CoolClyde
    this has been an enertaining thread with nothing else Knick-wise to talk about other than
    conjecture and endless dissing. classic Metrocard put-down of OBM yet offering positive

the man is unique!

The funny part to me is wondering how he got his newlywed wife to shoot the vid on a public beach during their honeymoon. So random.

12th man

Originally Posted by CoolClyde

the man is unique!

I ain't strong, I just lift heavy stuff with my legs

Dudes. Sorry, but I've been inviting members from other boards to join the site. It's taken me a couple hours to single out the clever ones, in an attempt to get the site up to new and higher heights.

Anyone who can recruit for KO, please do so. This will be a big year for the Knicks, and KO can reap the benefits of what's unfolded.

I'm gonna move this to the hangout forum, in an attempt to keep everything as it should be now that the first preseason game is just over 2 weeks away, and I'm trying to pry posters from sh*ttier boards.

Originally Posted by metrocard

I understand where you're coming from, no one is trying to deny that movement is important.

At the same time, the insults are out of line.

If a man will read just these three books on strength in his life, he will have sufficient understanding to become strong and live a healthy and robust life:

Starting Strength, Mark Rippetoe
    Beyond Brawn, Stuart McRobert
    Dinosaur Training, Brooks Kubik

Without some level of fundamental strength, you will get less out of any sport you choose to specialize in than you would if you were strong.

I understand there are more ways than one to skin the chicken, but lifting heavy **** with progressive poundages is the quickest and most time efficient. If everyone in the world trained for strength, we would have world peace.

If a man will have greater understanding on some topic than another man, then he should work to communicate his understanding so that the less experienced man will find the information useful. Expertise is relative.

If you can lift heavy things, you're just a more useful person to have around.

And I need to add that it's extremely off-putting to constantly make fitness as complicated as it has been presented in some parts of this thread.

Strength and fitness are extremely simple. Hard work, but extremely simple.

Also, no one has a monopoly on physical activity.