OT: My Gym

orangeblobman

Rotation player
If you are some serious athlete, then that's cool.

But general strength, gaining strength, is the best thing an average guy can do to improve his overall health. And I stand by that 150%. And it doesn't have to be complicated. LIFT HEAVY AND HARD relative to your own station, and keep adding poundages. That's it.

What he chooses to specialize in after gaining some fundamental level of strength, that's a different topic.

The take away is that, a little over a year ago I was 6'3" and 160 lbs, skinny and weak. If you told me to lift that sand bag, I would run away.

Today I have some modest level of strength. And that feels good.

metrocard

Legend
The Johnny Bravo epidemic has been a cancer amongst gyms especially in NYC. The bench press is damaging to the body, especially with how hard these Johnny Bravo clones go in. The basic push up facilitates shoulder health with the scapulae moving freely instead of being locked in retraction against a bench, scapular mobility is enhanced within a pushup. Also the muscle activation of the serratus anterior muscle is increased in comparison to the bench press. This helps enhance scapular stability, which aids shoulder health and won't damage your joints and flexibility like how benching does.

The same guys you speak of are the first guys to leave the gym with some bogus injury they could of easily avoided if they focus on overall fitness instead of one target goal.

Congrats to you for losing 50 lbs, it's not easy going through that physically and mentality. Those two realms have kept many people away from achieving their goals.

I've noticed as well that a lot of the people that I discuss weight training with focus on the upperbody wayyy too much. Their size and strength in the upperbody makes them look foolish in comparison with their chicken legs. these guys may be benching 250+ but can't even squat that amount. Even if you are just working on being a body builder / power lifter competitor you need to incorporate a good healthy balance in your routines.

Every+day+is+Upper+Body+day_fed154_3941021.jpeg

Strength training is important to fitness, athletics and functionality. It's also recommended for fat loss and can assist perhaps even more so then cardio training for that purpose. However the best fitness plans are balanced between cardio, flexibility, range of motion, and strength training along with sport specific movements and drills for athletes.

I'm not an expert on the topic of fitness just a weekend warrior with a gym membership. I've been lifting since august and taken it very seriously since January but also incorporated running, swimming, cycling, yoga and plyometrics along with the strength and basketball training. My success with this program has been real, I've dropped over 50 lbs and a number of body fat % points along with increasing my strength by ~300%.

Even after a year solid of training, reading, researching, putting in work at the gym, track and court I realize I'm still a total n00b in the area of fitness. Guys like metro have made a living out of fitness, athletics and body aesthetics. I think most people would be well served to listen to what metro has to say, especially concerning the "functional" strength increases. Sure lifting heavy things may give you the "look" you want (if you want to be a hyuge dude with teh biceps and teh pecs) but a balance needs to be achieved to lead a healthy lifestyle.

In the end it's really about a persons specific goals and needs. If you're the kind of guy that needs to lift awkward heavy **** on a regular basis (maybe a construction laborer?) then perhaps sandbag lifting is the best option for you. But for the average person there are better ways to achieve a healthy body and fitness level that is more functional.

Just as a note I've listened to metro regarding a cardio program he gave me and it was the difference from running a mile in 10 minutes to running a mile in 7 minutes. Listen to this dude!

metrocard

Legend
woah, i feel like **** got real here.

In all honesty, fitness and strength are very simple.

If you know 8 people that can press 85 sandabag, then i know 20 that can do it.

That's why strength is relative.

This thread was meant to inspire.

Workouts are hard work, but the topic of strength and fitness is easy.

And honestly, you can't call my form out and then not tell me what's wrong with my form. That's just not how it's done.

And in all honesty, people are not meant to be weak. It's only in modern times that we became weak. For 99% of human existence, everyone was strong.

Strength is the human's natural state.

whaaaaaat????????

orangeblobman

Rotation player
This is how Sisson outlines it:

1. move slowly often

2. lift heavy things 2 - 3 times a week

3. sprint once ever 7-10 days

If you do those 3 and you aren't in the best shape of your life, I'll give you my nut sack.

Also, abs and stuff, that's all made in the kitchen.

Whole foods, very little sugars.

Period!

Last edited:

orangeblobman

Rotation player
The Johnny Bravo epidemic has been a cancer amongst gyms especially in NYC. The bench press is damaging to the body, especially with how hard these Johnny Bravo clones go in. The basic push up facilitates shoulder health with the scapulae moving freely instead of being locked in retraction against a bench, scapular mobility is enhanced within a pushup. Also the muscle activation of the serratus anterior muscle is increased in comparison to the bench press. This helps enhance scapular stability, which aids shoulder health and won't damage your joints and flexibility like how benching does.

The same guys you speak of are the first guys to leave the gym with some bogus injury they could of easily avoided if they focus on overall fitness instead of one target goal.

Congrats to you for losing 50 lbs, it's not easy going through that physically and mentality. Those two realms have kept many people away from achieving their goals.

Yea, what's funny is those guys that jack up the top, but then they have the skinny little legs. I don't get it, man.

Women don't want to see that, I don't think, lol.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
False. In that case offensive tackles in American football are in the best shape of their lives because they can bench press over 300 lb. They are underrated as athletes but their risk for diabetes, sleep apnea (Reggie White), high blood pressure, and everything else that comes with a giant waist size are still high.

And stretching isn't just for olympians. If you truly want to be in good shape, flexibility is a must, especially if you play sports. Also, you can't lump together everyone under your (Sisson's) workout plan. Everyone is different. Would you tell someone who has a history of knee injuries to sprint every 7-10 days? The human body is an intricate machine and to try to put together a maintenance plan together in 3 bullet points is lazy. It's like saying all you need to do to maintain your car is fill it up with gas and do an oil change and you're good.

Bottom line, stop simplifying everything, life doesn't work like that.

I don't have the extensive knowledge in human physiology that metro does but I know that much.

Also, props to p0nder, takes a lot of dedication to stick it out and drop that weight.

PS your statement about humans having great strength in the past is also incorrect. If that were the case famine and disease would not have wiped so many people out.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
You gotta be able to shoulder your woman, that's it. Unless you like the big ones, then you just have to be able to hold her down.

Modern I mean before agriculture.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

orangeblobman

Rotation player
In the words of the Great Mark Rippetoe:

"PHYSICAL STRENGTH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN LIFE...A WEAK MAN IS NOT AS HAPPY AS THAT SAME MAN WOULD BE IF HE WERE STRONG...THIS REALITY IS OFFENSIVE TO SOME PEOPLE WHO WOULD LIKE THE INTELLECTUAL OR SPIRITUAL TO TAKE PRECEDENCE. IT IS INSTRUCTIVE TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO THESE VERY PEOPLE AS THEIR SQUAT STRENGTH GOES UP."

metrocard

Legend
In the words of the Great Mark Rippetoe:

"PHYSICAL STRENGTH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN LIFE...A WEAK MAN IS NOT AS HAPPY AS THAT SAME MAN WOULD BE IF HE WERE STRONG...THIS REALITY IS OFFENSIVE TO SOME PEOPLE WHO WOULD LIKE THE INTELLECTUAL OR SPIRITUAL TO TAKE PRECEDENCE. IT IS INSTRUCTIVE TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO THESE VERY PEOPLE AS THEIR SQUAT STRENGTH GOES UP."

I can't front, my swagger increased when I first squatted 405lbs at 160lbs.
I still can't say its the most important thing in life.
That's a preference.

Johnny Bravo is awesome.

All time great cartoon.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Martin Berkhan, a highly respected figure in the strength and fitness game, says that:

Under the exact same conditions, all of the following goals should be reached within ten years. Alternatively, 3 out of 4 should be reached, and one should be "Elite":

Bench press: body weight x 1.5, or x 1.8 (elite)

Chin-ups or pull-ups: body weight x 1.5 or 15 reps with body weight, or x 1.8 / 20 reps (elite)

Squat: body weight x 2, or x 2.4 (elite)

Deadlift: body weight x 2.5, or x 3 (elite)
So with about 10 years, maybe a little less maybe a little more, of training, a guy should be able to squat 2.4 times his bodyweight.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/****arounditis.html

2.4*160 = 384.

Metro is trying to tell me that he squats more than 2.4 times his bodyweight, all while admitting that he doesn't specialize in strength training.

405 pounds for a 1/4 squat in a Smith machine doesn't count as "squatting 405 lbs".

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I added music to this one, from today:

:)