Marbury says STAT and Melo can't play together

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...ink-carmelo-anthony-amare-stoudemire-good-fit

NEW YORK -- Count ex-New York Knick Stephon Marbury among those who don't think current Knicks stars Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire are a good fit together.

"Amare needs a point guard like Steve Nash (to thrive). He's a pick-and-roll guy, a pick-and-pop guy. He can't play in the half court where everything's slowed down," Marbury told ESPN New York during a brief interview in Manhattan on Wednesday.

When asked if he thought Anthony and Stoudemire could flourish together, Marbury said flatly, "Nope."

Many have expressed the same concerns with the Knicks' star duo. In their season and a half together, the Knicks have a sub-.500 record when both are in the starting lineup.

But Marbury brings a unique perspective to the debate. He played with Stoudemire in Phoenix during the 2002-03 season and for 34 games the next season before Marbury was dealt to the Knicks. He also spent five mostly rocky years with the Knicks.

In addition to his thoughts on Stoudemire, Marbury also questioned the Knicks' motivation in obtaining Anthony. New York executed a three-team blockbuster deal to bring Anthony in from Denver in February 2011.

"I don't know if (Knicks owner James) Dolan brought him in to win games or to make money," Marbury said. "I think it was to make money."

Marbury, though, says Anthony is the Knicks' best player and the team should be built around his strengths. Anthony is a skilled passer but also thrives in isolation.

This style clashed at times with ex-Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni's up-tempo system. Current Knicks coach Mike Woodson seemed more comfortable putting the ball in Anthony's hands in the low and mid-post and letting him operate in isolation after he took over in late March.

"You knew what he was when you got him," Marbury said of Anthony. "Let him do what he does."

Marbury is 3? years removed from his controversial tenure in New York. The Brooklyn native came home in a trade midway through the 2003-04 season and led the Knicks to the playoffs that season. But losing seasons and clashes with management, coaches and teammates followed. He and the team agreed to a buyout in the 2008-09 season.

As a Coney Island native, though, Marbury said he still remains a Knicks fan and will always root for the team.

"I think they have a good team," Marbury said. "They could make the second round (of the playoffs)."

Marbury currently plays for the Beijing Ducks in the Chinese Basketball Association. He led the team to a championship last season and is heading back to China this week.

There we have it. Marbury thinks the playstyle of the two are too different. I'm starting to question the current Knicks lineup. Even Clyde commented that STAT should come off the bench and we have seen how much Melo thrived when he temporarily played under PF position before the end of this season. Even people like Phil Jackson said that the current Knicks lineup will not work unless something changes drastically with Melo and STAT.

Let's look at our team offensively. As Marbury said, Amare has trouble playing the non PnR game, Chandler can't really play offense, Shump is really good at getting to the rim but he needs more experience to finish, and with Lin gone, our offense really relies on Melo pretty much. If Melo becomes reluctant to teamball, our offense is really dead. We really need someone with good offense game to take over Amare's spot. He can come in as the 6th man to the Knicks.

I guess only next season will tell if we're doomed or not.

KingCharles34

All Star
Marbury and Clyde know the deal...we're gonna have to see what Stat does the 1st month of the season and make a move from there. If he plays like Amerie instead of Amare, its time to move him to the bench or trade him for an expiring

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
The time to judge if Stat&Melo can really work together is now

1st season- Melo was traded to the knicks in the middle of the season

2nd season- NBA Lockout / shortened season- full of injuries, rocky start, new lineups every other night, new coach, family deaths etc etc

3rd season- All the excuses should be out the window this season, the team is having a pre-training camp, a regular training camp and a full 82 game season, and a good coach, if they cant make it work this time around then the combo was destined to fail IMO that's how i view it.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Does best player mean high-scorer?

"I don't know if (Knicks owner James) Dolan brought him in to win games or to make money," Marbury said. "I think it was to make money."

Damn! I hate to admit Marbury comment makes for good cents ....
The Melo-trade may have gross Dolan billions, but it did nothing for the Knicks team winning percentage .. especially when the cause/effect of the trade have a Knicks commentator mention bring the $100M player off the bench.
Say-word???

Anyone want to do the math?
PF-Kenyon Martin before Melo average to be a 3rd round postseason player.
PF-Amare Stoudemire before Melo average to be a 2nd round postseason player.
Allen Iverson before Melo average to be a 2nd round postseason player.

Kiyaman

Legend
The time to judge if Stat&Melo can really work together is now

1st season- Melo was traded to the knicks in the middle of the season

2nd season- NBA Lockout / shortened season- full of injuries, rocky start, new lineups every other night, new coach, family deaths etc etc

3rd season- All the excuses should be out the window this season, the team is having a pre-training camp, a regular training camp and a full 82 game season, and a good coach, if they cant make it work this time around then the combo was destined to fail IMO that's how i view it.

It just dont add-up ....
To many damn-excuses after the Melo-trade .. how many excuses have the Denver Nuggets team made since the Melo-trade???

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Just because Steph and Clyde said it doesnt make it true... just be patient guys. If this year they still look like trash then yeah the entire project should be scrapped BUT just wait and see what Felton and Kidd do. They are the difference and the key.

Kiyaman

Legend
Just because Steph and Clyde said it doesnt make it true... just be patient guys. If this year they still look like trash then yeah the entire project should be scrapped BUT just wait and see what Felton and Kidd do. They are the difference and the key.

:agreed:
:2cents: :2cents:
I have to agree with u .. Jason Kidd adds a big difference to this Knicks Team, especially when Felton & Prig-Pablo follow Kidd's lead.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Steph giving an opinion about meshing w/ Teamates is like George Bush giving his opinion on how Obam'a economic plan is not going to work

He's bitter about not still being a Knick and will take shots at is every chance he gets

He's nothing more than another Charles Barkley the fact that some of you still support him but hate Isiah is dellusional!!!

Hall of Fame talent that blew it and we have become his favorite scapegoat!!!

He once said Curry and Randolph are unstoppable but Melo and Stat won't work!!!

Dude is a clown!!!

tiger0330

Legend
Steph giving an opinion about meshing w/ Teamates is like George Bush giving his opinion on how Obam'a economic plan is not going to work

He's bitter about not still being a Knick and will take shots at is every chance he gets

He's nothing more than another Charles Barkley the fact that some of you still support him but hate Isiah is dellusional!!!

Hall of Fame talent that blew it and we have become his favorite scapegoat!!!

He once said Curry and Randolph are unstoppable but Melo and Stat won't work!!!

Dude is a clown!!!
Totally agree, Starbury needs to root for the Nets being from Brooklyn, they're his home team now. Dude is like an ex-wife that hates you, he'll never have anything nice to say about you despite getting 20M a year from the Knicks for doing squat.

Like the article said Melo has skills that Woody can take advantage of, I honestly think his passing skills are the best on the team and that includes Kidd. And Amare has been working on becoming more than the PnR PF with a decent mid-range game, can't wait to see those Dream moves in the low block this year.

p0nder

Starter
2-max-marbury thinks he's Kobe good. but i digress.

Melo and STAT have a lot to prove this year. Marbury is just a fan at this point.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Marbury and Clyde know the deal...we're gonna have to see what Stat does the 1st month of the season and make a move from there. If he plays like Amerie instead of Amare, its time to move him to the bench or trade him for an expiring

To the bench for who?

Change for the sake of change is dumb

Remember when Ewing was injured and The Knicks ran a more up-tempo offense with him out and people (probably some posters here) started saying we were better without Pat because he slowed us down?

This claim to move Melo to the 4 permenantly and Stat to the bench is similar to that way of thinking

Melo at the 4 is like Amare at the 5....short term looks good but not a long term solution

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
It just dont add-up ....
To many damn-excuses after the Melo-trade .. how many excuses have the Denver Nuggets team made since the Melo-trade???

Different on many levels. None of those players were as talented as Carmelo and are now in a small market. It takes a certain kind of player to play in a big market like NY and thrive at the same time. Gallo, Wilson, Mozgov aren't those kind of players. Also, the Nuggets just flat out didn't deal with so much off the court stuff that this team has. No team in the NBA has. It's uneducated to just say it won't work because it hasn't yet. It worked quite fine when Woodson took over and were winning games until STAT went down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Chinabury has a point.

Melo and Amar'e primarily work on the same spots on the floor. When watching games, I often cringe when they accidentally collide with each other. Can this be fixed with better chemistry? I'm not so sure. But one of them MUST change up their game a little bit if we want our offense to run efficiently.

I'm hoping, like every Knicks fan, that Amar'e's lessons with Olajuwon can steer Melo and STAT's two man game in the right direction. :crossfingers:

New New York

Quiet Storm
Chinabury has a point.

Melo and Amar'e primarily work on the same spots on the floor. When watching games, I often cringe when they accidentally collide with each other. Can this be fixed with better chemistry? I'm not so sure. But one of them MUST change up their game a little bit if we want our offense to run efficiently.

I'm hoping, like every Knicks fan, that Amar'e's lessons with Olajuwon can steer Melo and STAT's two man game in the right direction. :crossfingers:

There is a lot of two man game potential between the 2. Melo is a lot better and willing passer than he gets credit for.

The key like I have said like 100x is Amare's ability to knock down the mid-range. That will open up so much....

Lets just take a game in which we are playing Denver and Iggy is guarding Melo

Amare picks and rolls out for the Jump Shot

this leaves the defense with Melo going one on one against a PF or Amare at 6'10 shooting over a wing player

This simple play would wreck havoc on 90% of the defenses in the league....Lebron and Bosh run it well because when Bosh's J is on the play becomes almost unguardable

Dantoni did not use this play because he is an advocate of purpetual motion and this is a tradtional half court play.

Woody will use this play and it should be affective especially when Novak and Kidd are on the floor because they would minimize the amount of help that can be given from the perimeter.

Stats shot was money two seasons ago. Lock out, injury's, brothers death whatever. You be the judge if it's a excuse. The point is this man makes A lot of dough and needs to step up and get on Melos level is some fashion, then we are doing something. I wanna see Tyson Chandler hit shots in pivotal times to. This aint a 2 man ****ing show. Chandlers not a elite offensive big but like the Dream said, this man has to get some offensive going. We aint going nowhere without him making SOME buckets when we need it. So much **** has to happen. But they look like they're in good position. We are gonna see if this is all bull****. Its been bull**** this whole decade. I'm sick of next season