Today begins the journey lets all think positive thoughts and be optimistic until otherwise
Post all pictures, videos and keep all training camp stories from around the web in this thread
Very good feel from the guys, I think we're done talking and just gonna put in work. I'm liking this ****
I got some pics and videos to put up as well
- First of all, they're not doing two-a-days like they did under Mike D'Antoni. Mike Woodson said he just doesn't believe in 'em anymore, and has instead chosen to run one three hour-long practice each day. At least today, he also kept the practice pretty closed off. I got here at 11-- right when practice started-- and sat until about 1:30. All the media got to see was the end of a five-on-five defensive drill and some stretching.
- Each night, they'll get together as a team to eat dinner and watch some film, but that's it.
- The drill we saw was a basic one with the offense swinging the ball around the perimeter and the defense sliding back and forth to react. Possibly of note was that James White wore a blue jersey along with Raymond Felton, Carmelo Anthony, Amar'e Stoudemire, and Tyson Chandler. J.R. Smith was in white (the color) with Jason Kidd, Steve Novak, Kurt Thomas, and Marcus Camby. Ronnie Brewer and Iman Shumpert weren't participating, obviously.
- What immediately struck me during practice was the presence of a very large, very sweaty, very loud man I'd never seen before directly under the basket. I'm told this was LaSalle Thompson, who is now officially a Knicks assistant coach. Besides him and Dave Hopla, the Knicks also brought in Jerry Dunn, the former head coach at Penn State. Doesn't seem like there's room for Dunn (or Chris Ford, who was brought in as a consultant) on the bench.
- Rasheed Wallace is in New York (in the building with me right now, they say) but has not signed and wasn't anywhere to be seen today. Woodson wouldn't really say why this was the case beyond contract stuff. (Though, as I said in that Sports Section post, there's nothing to sort out. There's only a vet's minimum contract available. Some folks are saying Sheed's just delaying to miss as much of camp as possible, which is hard to deny. It's also possible that he practiced, then peaced out before media were let in. No idea.).
- Woodson said that Raymond Felton will be his starting point guard at the outset. Jason Kidd sounded fine with that. Jason Kidd speaks very, very quietly.
- Felton also sounded enthusiastic about the prospect of playing in lineups alongside Kidd and reiterated that he's in much better shape this year than he was at training camp in Portland last season.
- When asked about all the new veterans, Tyson Chandler sounded 1. Delighted to have some other guys around who play interior defense. 2. Enthusiastic about having a steadier team. He described last year's team as very exciting, but perhaps not as consistent as this one should be. He said the Knicks should be a top-five defensive team this year.
- Chandler's hand is supposedly fine, but his middle finger on his left hand was still wrapped up.
- I took that photo of him, by the way.
- During the post-practice huddle, the rookies (Sims, Shurna, Bellfield, etc.) sang "Happy Birthday" to Tyson. He's 30 today. He turned down the offer of another singing rendition from the media scrum.
- The guys all get smoothies after practice (they still wear those physiological sensor things on their backs during practice, and I think the smoothies are concocted to replace whatever nutrients they lost). When ordering his, Marcus Camby specifically asked for no chocolate, no piña colada.
- Carmelo Anthony and Steve Novak had a series of shooting contests after practice, and it looked like Melo actually won a couple of 'em.
- Ronnie Brewer didn't participate in any of the practice I saw, but got some shots up afterward. He's not wearing a brace or limping at all.
- I saw the John Shurna jumper in person. It is VIOLENT.
- Marc Berman hears that Wally Szczerbiak will replace Kelly Tripucka in the MSG studio, which is kinda disappointing.
Source: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Last edited by rady; Oct 04, 2012 at 13:47. Reason: added the source
If it's true, why the hell is Sheed trying to miss as much of training camp as possible?
Carmelo Anthony 7! great update! you're part of the media? who do you write for?
j/k I found that write up on twitter since Woody didnt let the media in until the end of practice thats all they got to see so thats why it lacks any real substance but still good info regarding James White with the 1's, Melo and Novak shooting it out, etc....
Wait wait wait... hold the phone!
Replace Kelly Trapucka with Wally Szczerbiak. WTF is that?! Wally has NOTHING to do with NY. Kelly has been here for years.
Everything else is great tho. Thanks for the updates CA7.
Last season they televised training camp. They need to do it again!
interestingRaymond Felton responded to the notion he may not finish games because of Jason Kidd’s rep as a closer. Felton was
named starter yesterday. “Whatever coach decides to do,’’ Felton said. “If he decides to go with me one night, at the end of the game, then decide to go to Jason...I’m all about winning. I’m excited about this team. It could be anybody. They may sit Amar’e down in the final minute. Or Melo. That’s the kind of team we have. We have a very deep team.’’