Official Knicks Training Camp Thread

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Josh at 2 is fail.
Remember when Mavericks tried it.
He has bad shot selection, definitely doesn't fit as shooting guard on both ends.

Agreed. When the Mavs got Marion it was Howard to the 2 when he was healthy and his shot selection is horrible. He's a great slasher, defender, but age and health has robbed him of his quickness.

CoolClyde

man, the 3-hour training camp special on MSG is MUST-SEE TV gents! one of the best inside looks at the team ever. interviews with everyone, and full-on access to the entire training process. here are some of the highlights, IMHO:

the comaraderie - everyone seems to get along, lots of smiles and support

Felton looks like he never left NY - in shape, hitting his shots, and the man has a TON of confidence. a true PG who's not averse to listening to JKidd. I think Felton will make everyone forget JeremyLin fast.

Amar'e in GREAT shape
Melo in FANTASTIC shape

Larry Johnson talking to Copeland on the sidelines
Copeland hanging with Melo during stretching

Rasheed working very hard to get in shape. whoever the tiny coach is working him out seems to know what he's doing. non-stop activity on the sidelines.

Kurt Thomas/Marcus Camby/JKidd - veterans with knowledge

JKidd is not only one of the best PG's who ever played the game, and is not only a mentor, but a player/coach who can only make everyone around him better on and off the court

DEFENSITY! Woodson is the defensive coach Clamtoni never was or will be. The entire mindset of the Knicks starts with defense, and it looks like the Knicks will be THE best defensive team in the NBA.

Clyde loving the team, loving what everyone is saying, and agreeing with mostly everything being taught in training camp

Shump looking great! they say he won't be back until January, because they want him 100%, but he looks in excellent shape, great haircut, and he was hitting ALL his shots working with phenom shooting coach Hoopla.

Ronnie Brewer working hard! all signs point to him starting at the 2. with Felton feeding Amar'e, Melo and Chandler, I'm happy to have a defense-first shooting guard. perhaps the SG should stand for STOP GUARD!!??

JR Smith in excellent shape, not happy not starting, but he could turn out to be the x-factor this year. the best 6th man in the league usually plays for the best team in the league.

Carmelo in super shape, one of the deadliest shooters in the league, if not the best, seems to be ON! looks like he's getting along with everyone, and is accepting of whatever role in order to WIN! he is awesome!

With Felton starting, Kidd backing him up and getting key minutes wherever Woodson deems necessary, and The Prigger being the key 3rd PG, these three TRUE point guards will make everyone better this year, and their depth will be the difference! SUCH A BETTER SITUATION than last year!

WOOD SON! taking the wisdom of Red Holtzman to the next level, with a team of defensive players who know how to defend, and score.

This training camp got me so f*cking psyched, i'm about to bust! First Pre-game tomorrow! CAN'T WAIT!!

PS: one thing I didn't like was the scowl worn by James White. i don't think he belongs and would rather see Josh Howard on this squad.

finestrg

Rotation player
White hurt?

Woody talking yesterday as if he prefers having White or Brewer be the starting 2 with JR off the bench but mentioned that White and Brewer are both "out." Anyone know what's up with White? Severity of any injury, out for how long, etc.? Probably just a little something -- we would've heard if it was anything more than that I guess.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Woody talking yesterday as if he prefers having White or Brewer be the starting 2 with JR off the bench but mentioned that White and Brewer are both "out." Anyone know what's up with White? Severity of any injury, out for how long, etc.? Probably just a little something -- we would've heard if it was anything more than that I guess.

calf soreness I think it was

KingCharles34

All Star

Oh theres a guy on the team with the last name white? I thought Woodson was talking about Novak or that other dude

finestrg

Rotation player
calf soreness I think it was

OK, doesn't sound serious, thank God. White could have a big role in the early going..

Meanwhile, double whammy for JR Smith -- (1) it looks like he's not too thrilled about Woody's comments from yesterday where Coach said he'd rather have him coming off the bench, not starting and (2) his younger brother Chris will be out 3-6 months with a left patella tendon injury. Doubtful he makes the club now. Didn't think he had much of a shot anyway to be honest although Chris didn't see it that way:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/knicks_chris_smith_out_months_Erc4cI3raKpcl3e5iZv3cO?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Knicks%20Blog%0A

Reading a little further, he may not be pleased but it looks like JR's willing to do whatever coach needs him to do, either starting or coming in with the 2nd unit. I feel a little relieved--the Berman article made this sound worse than it problably is -- that's Marc for ya, lol): http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/25740/chris-smith-out-3-to-6-months-with-injury.

Bottom line is the man's clearly our best 2G as of right now -- I'm almost positive JR will be playing 30-40 mins a night and closing out games -- that should be all that matters. At this point I'm fine either way -- either he starts and provides an extra shooter that'll stretch the defense off Amar'e & Chandler inside (not to mention that you would think that his offensive prowess would help us get off to fast starts and build early leads on most nights) or he comes in to lead that 2nd unit, provide a spark and continue to keep the offensive pressure on as Amar'e, Melo and Ray sit. Need JR to be focused and a team player here. That's the main thing. Teams that are primed and ready to challenge for it all don't let petty issues like this interfere with the main goal.

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
OK, doesn't sound serious, thank God. White could have a big role in the early going..

Meanwhile, double whammy for JR Smith -- (1) it looks like he's not too thrilled about Woody's comments from yesterday where Coach said he'd rather have him coming off the bench, not starting and (2) his younger brother Chris will be out 3-6 months with a left patella tendon injury. Doubtful he makes the club now. Didn't think he had much of a shot anyway to be honest although Chris didn't see it that way:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/knicks_chris_smith_out_months_Erc4cI3raKpcl3e5iZv3cO?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Knicks%20Blog%0A

Reading a little further, he may not be pleased but it looks like JR's willing to do whatever coach needs him to do, either starting or coming in with the 2nd unit. I feel a little relieved--the Berman article made this sound worse than it problably is -- that's Marc for ya, lol): http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/25740/chris-smith-out-3-to-6-months-with-injury.

Bottom line is the man's clearly our best 2G as of right now -- I'm almost positive JR will be playing 30-40 mins a night and closing out games -- that should be all that matters. At this point I'm fine either way -- either he starts and provides an extra shooter that'll stretch the defense off Amar'e & Chandler inside (not to mention that you would think that his offensive prowess would help us get off to fast starts and build early leads on most nights) or he comes in to lead that 2nd unit, provide a spark and continue to keep the offensive pressure on as Amar'e, Melo and Ray sit. Need JR to be focused and a team player here. That's be the main thing. Teams that are primed and ready to challenge for it all don't have petty problems like this.

JR needs to be our Terry, he'll play starters minutes if he's consistent but most of the time its gonna be 25 minutes a night, 12 shots a night for him.

He'll finish games if he's on if not it'll be Kidd/Shumpert whoever, he needs to find consistency, something he's never had in his career before he worries about being a starter

tiger0330

Legend

Bottom line is the man's clearly our best 2G as of right now -- I'm almost positive JR will be playing 30-40 mins a night and closing out games -- that should be all that matters. At this point I'm fine either way -- either he starts and provides an extra shooter that'll stretch the defense off Amar'e & Chandler inside (not to mention that you would think that his offensive prowess would help us get off to fast starts and build early leads on most nights) or he comes in to lead that 2nd unit, provide a spark and continue to keep the offensive pressure on as Amar'e, Melo and Ray sit. Need JR to be focused and a team player here. That's be the main thing. Teams that are primed and ready to challenge for it all don't have petty problems like this.
Flight White sucks. I hope I'm wrong because we need help at the wing, is his contract guaranteed? If it is guaranteed past training camp it was a mistake. I see T-Mac signed with a team in China, even an old T-Mac brings more to the table than White and I'm hoping the Knicks pick up someone else if White's contract is not guaranteed past training camp.

Wargames

Starter
i think the best way to do it is sort of what happened last year. Let Brewer Start (like fields would), Let JR get minutes coming in With Novak and staying longer as needed, and then Put Shump in later to provide a fresh set of defensive legs on the court. Then as the season goes on swap shump and ronnie at start depending on who can defend best against the opposing teams best guard. Brewer would also see minutes at the 3 playing against the teams best wing Like Battier. An example would be.

Shump in for PG's and Fast SG
Ronnie in for Strong SG and SG/SF

so against the Heat it could be a line up of

PG
Shump
Brewer
PF
Center

for limited minutes for defense sake. Then let JR in to sub the 2 for offense as the game goes on. In a lot of ways I think Shump, Brewer, and JR could be the X factor everyone is sleeping on. Right now the Knicks have the best SG rotation hands down and who knows if James Flight can do anything cause he was playing very well in summer camp (not that that guarantees anything in the regular season)

I expect to see a lot of different lineups which is good. quality teams should have a few looks to make it harder to prepare to play against.

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
Jonah Ballow ‏@jonahballow
Rasheed Wallace practicing with the team as well today #Knicks