View Poll Results: Bar Boston and Miami, which team is our biggest threat to take 3rd seed?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indiana

13 46.43%
  • Philadelphia

4 14.29%
  • Brooklyn

11 39.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitoring E.C Teams: Keeping Tabs On The Best Teams In The East + Knicks predictions

Hybrid View

Default Monitoring E.C Teams: Keeping Tabs On The Best Teams In The East + Knicks predictions

Good day, gents.

I've put together this thread to keep an eye on the Eastern Conference standings and its teams throughout the 2012-2013 season.

Each team's info is posted separately, so please quote the specific team you're talking about in your posts to make it easier to contrast opinions.

HUGE YEAR AHEAD!

Default Miami Heat

Miami Heat

○ They're the champs, and they don't look like slowing down after the acquisition of Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis.

Norris Cole looks to add to an on and off debut season at point guard, in which he played some very decent games.

Bosh will be playing more at centre, according to offseason news, which is a huge plus for us as we throw our huge front court at them.

○ They did add Jorts to their front court to help out Joel Anthony and Bosh in the block, but we certainly have the advantage under the rim.

○ Regardless of any advantage we may or may not have, the Heat have Lebron James and Dwayne Wade. The Heat have expressed concern about Wade being able to maintain a healthy body long term, he missed 15 games last year and once cried in a wheelchair, but the depth they added in Allen at the 2 this year, helps to nullify that concern between game 1 of the regular season and game 1 of the ECF.

Head to Head: We can ice the Heat any time during the regular season, but their incredible defence and their leader, Lebron, are a harrowing prospect in the playoffs, and are still the favourites to take the EC crown.

East seeding prediction: 1st

Boston Celtics

○ As old, rickety, and prone to whining and inner conflict as they are, the Boston Celtics are still a very good basketball team. God, I hate them so much!

○ They lost Allen to the Heat in FA, but added the high octane Jason Terry and 7'0 rookie Fab Melo along with the energetic Courtney Lee at the 2.

Jeff Green returns from a missed season getting his heart sorted out, and the always reliable Brandon Bass will be back to crash the boards and make the 15 footer off the bench.

○ All in all, the Celtics come in to 12-13 younger, fresher and faster.

○ KG and Pierce might be on the decline, but they always, always bring it when their numbers are called, and Rondo is still Rondo. IMO, he's a top 3 PG, and is merely a reliable shot away from threatening to dethrone CP3 as the NBA's best 1.

Head to Head: We, as they, have a very balanced team throughout all positions. However, the Celtics excellent offseason gives them the advantage because they still have Rondo to add to their veterans and youth. He is the crux of whether or not the Knicks can take the Celtics in a playoff series.

○ They also have a lot more fire power in the front court than us, depending solely on how Stoudemire is implemented in to our offence and whether or not it works. I see STAT as the big X Factor in most match ups for us, but he really is the key to beating Boston.

East seeding prediction: 2nd.

The Pacers did what they had to do in the offseason. They re-signed Hibbert (was he worth MAX?) kept the majority of their core, and replaced Collinson with Augustine.

○ The additions of Augustine and Gerald Green add the depth the Pacers need to pursue a high seed.

Paul George, the 6'8 2 guard with springs for legs, had an amazing rookie season, and looks to add to his all around game by adding a more reliable perimeter shooting game this year.

Tyler Hansbrough will again provide the energy off the pine, and add rebounding and physicality.

○ The Pacers front court 3 of Hibbert, West & Granger are basically a poor man's version of the Knicks Chandler, Stoudemire and Anthony.

○ However, despite the roster they have, which comparatively may seem not on par with New York's , the Pacers have chemistry. Real chemistry. Something the Knicks really only had sporadically all throughout last season. They shocked the league by taking 3rd seed last season, and look to add to their winning ways by bringing back basically the same roster, with added experience.

Head to Head: Stalemate. With their depth, youth and chemistry, I don't see any marked advantage for the Knicks, especially earlier on in the season without Shump. They have no player better than Melo, and Tyson and Camby provide the required defence to hinder Hibbert.

Bit of a question mark for me when putting one against the other. Expect a close game in each matchup.

East seeding prediction: 3rd ahead of us or 4th behind us.
    Given the competitiveness of the East this year, we may not be able to afford to let them take 3rd ahead of us.

Brooklyn Nets

○ Well, what an offseason it was for the new look Nets. They come in to this season bursting with enthusiasm, and most importantly, they've managed to hold on to their best players with little regard for expense, and added some solid, reliable vets.

○ With an impressive starting 5 of Lopez, Humphries, G Wallace, Joe Johnson and DWil, the Nets, to their absolute credit, managed to keep Marshon Brooks, an excellent 2 guard that turned a lot of heads as a rookie last year.

○ To their credit again, the Nets went out and brought in big bodies Reggie Evans and Andre Blatche via FA. I think Evans will be the thorn in our side when we face the Nets. He's a savage rebounder and defender, an intimidator and a huge energy boost off the pine. The addition of Sheed was a relief to me regarding this. Blatche is still a capable player, but is a bit of a mess mentally. He also has a propensity to get above playing weight.

○ They also added Mirza Teletovic, last year's leading scorer in the Euro League as their very own Novak. Teletovic, however is a far, far more rounded offensive threat, and at 6'9 - 255, could be the Nets X factor in taking the season series from us. Great addition.

Head to Head: I'd have to give it to the Nets because of Derron Williams. Our match ups are quite even, with the exception of the unpredictable Stoudemire, except for at the 1. The big, able DWil is going to kill Felton, Kidd and Prigioni this year, and unless Shump comes back 100% cured and plays some 1 for us against him, the Nets have the up on the Knicks for that one blaring mismatch.

○ Humphries is an excellent rebounder, and the 1-2 punch of him and Evans VS STAT and Sheed at the 4 is a huge glass cleaning advantage for the Nets.

○ Our benches will be reasonably on par, but if Camby has a healthy season, that is to our advantage against Brooklyn.

East seeding prediction: 5th ~ with the ability to move up as far as 3rd

In the end, I think a lack of cohesion and familiarity will have the Nets losing some winnable games. That, however, is not necessarily a safe assumption. They are very talented.

Philadelphia 76ers.

○ The 6ers had a busy, productive offseason, and brought in Andrew Bynum. Though they lost the electrifying Andre Iguodala, the addition of Bynum, one of the league's premiere centres, is a huge boon for Philadelphia's playoff aspirations. In the absence of Kobe Bryant in LA, Bynum put up 23 and 14 boards, including rebounding games of 30 and 18.

He's the focal of the 6ers offence now, and though he'll be rested often with Hawes backing him up, he'll no doubt have a career season, and put up stats worthy of All NBA notoriety.

○ The 6ers also signed Jason Richardson, and will bring in Nick Young to add to a very deep 2 guard rotation that still boasts Evan Turner, who improved in leaps and bounds last season. So they have no lack of back court offence.

Jrue Holiday, one of the league's more daunting back court defenders, will be back to add to his ever improving game, too. He put up an impressive 16, 5 and 5 last season, and with Bynum setting picks and hammering down the low block, look for Holiday's game to be given some real slack offensively, making him all the more dangerous, as well as providing better looks for their perimeter shooters.

○ SF-PF Thaddeus Young will also be back for another solid year, and his all around game on both ends brings the 76ers closer to the East's elite. His versatility is key.

○ Doug Collins is a brilliant coach. He'll be making the most of his new roster, but a lack of depth at the 4 will cause him some headaches as he looks to implement his bench.

Head to Head: Melo has always thriven against the 76ers, and he'll be our Mr Reliable throughout all of the season VS Philly. Tyson and Camby, again, will be a struggle for Bynum. Until Shump's back and Brewer's himself again, the advantage is clearly ours. Until then, the 2 guard is their main advantage.

East seeding prediction: 5th or 6th. Depending entirely on the health of the oft injured Bynum. If he has a healthy season as the new go-to-guy in Philly, look for them to be a team nobody wants to meet in the 1st round.

Default Brooklyn and the expectations going into the season

so what happened to them being 2nd in the east? they blew a 22 point lead to a ricky rubio kevin loveless timberwolves team lmfao i am enjoying their struggles greatly, i wish we couldve beat their asses last week, oh well.

this knicks team was so underrated coming into the season and i love how this team is showing everyone whats the TRUTH is

what do you guys think about the nba teams so far?

Originally Posted by knickerbocka176
    so what happened to them being 2nd in the east? they blew a 22 point lead to a ricky rubio kevin loveless timberwolves team lmfao i am enjoying their struggles greatly, i wish we couldve beat their asses last week, oh well.

this knicks team was so underrated coming into the season and i love how this team is showing everyone whats the TRUTH is

Really!? That is music to my ears. Let's hope there's some behind the scenes conflict.

And the Celtics are showing their age at the start of the season. Good news.

Originally Posted by knickerbocka176

Im going to do a breakdown of the Nets:

Deron Williams: Imo best PG in the NBA, nothing to prove

Joe Johnson: Most overrated Shooting Guard next to Tyreke Evans and is a 20 point scorer on a good day. Just a jump shooter and overrated defensively, average at best. Not a quiet superstar more of a loud bust. Not even top 5 SG in my book. OVERRATED.

Gerald Wallace: Great glue guy, nothing bad to say.He is a good defender and hustle man and can hit open shots and of course he goes hard to the basket. I would welcome him anytime because he is unselfish and you dont need to run plays for him.

Humphris: Okay player, hustle guy who can finish

Lopez: Big softy, cant rebound nor defend. Disgrace to all bigmen even Chris Bosh. I would never want a bigman like him on my team. Gasol -2.0

Brooks: My man. i like his game, could be like James Harden if he was starting on a bad team. Great scoring instincts and smooth player.

Blatch: The guy is a SG in a centers body, nuff said.

Watson:One of the better back up PG's who can start for a few teams and can score. average player.

Overall: 6-8 seed maybe 5th if they over achieve, but this team is just so overrated. No bench and Joe Johnson is not a load carrier and Lopez is unreliable. Williams will have to score 20 to keep them in alot of games.

Default Monitoring E.C Teams: Keeping Tabs On The Best Teams In The East + Knicks predictions

Danny Granger received an injection on Tuesday to treat left patellar tendinosis. The procedure was performed by Dr. James Andrews.

The Indiana Pacers' medical personnel are looking at a recovery time of approximately three months.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Default Bynum out at least another 5 weeks.

The Philadelphia 76ers have announced that All-Star center Andrew Bynum will be sidelined at least another five weeks, again postponing the debut of the prized player they landed in the Dwight Howard blockbuster trade.

“We know the Sixers fans are eager to see Andrew Bynum play and shine,” Sixers general manager Tony DiLeo said in a statement. “We also know no one is more eager to see Andrew play for the Sixers than Andrew himself. He fully realizes the key contribution he can make to the team. Hopefully, that day is coming soon.”

Bynum underwent an MRI last week and was cleared to begin basketball activities December 10th but he will need additional time to get his conditioning up to speed. Not exactly what the Sixers were expecting when they traded away Andre Iguodala and a couple prospects to get him.

Bynum made his first all-star team last season after averaging 18.7 ppg and 11.8 rpg with the Los Angeles Lakers. He will be an unrestricted free agent next summer.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Andrew Bynum has been ruled out indefinitely and has no timetable for return.

Philadelphia 76ers general manager Tony DiLeo told the media the news on Saturday.

The 76ers were previously targeting a mid-December return to basketball activities.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

We're at the top of the East for the first time in god knows how long!

WOO!

Heat lose at home to the Chicago Bulls to put them at 22-9. The Knicks sit half a game back at 22-10.

A good month of January for the Knicks could see them reclaim the number 1 spot in the East and I believe it's very possible. The Knicks have a few hard games this month, namely against the Bulls and the Hawks (first look this season), but all of the games this month are very winnable.

If the Knicks continue the level of defense they played against the Spurs and remain healthy they can go on a surge this month. The Knicks only play four games against above .500 teams and only two of those games are on the road.

The Miami Heat however play 9 of their next 12 games on the road where they currently have a record of 7-6.

If the Knicks can win 9 out of these 11 games, they should easily retake the number 1 spot (vaery doable). Woodson should be in for coach of the month if the Knicks welcoming back Amare can maintain the level of defense they played against the Spurs.

Sat 05 @ Orlando win
    Mon 07 vs Boston win
    Thu 10 @ Indiana ?
    Fri 11 vs Chicago ?
    Sun 13 vs New Orleans win
    Thu 17 @ Detroit win
    Mon 21 vs Brooklyn win
    Thu 24 @ Boston win
    Sat 26 @ Philadelphia ?
    Sun 27 vs Atlanta ?
    Wed 30 vs Orlando win

Im still amazed The hawks are sitting at the 3rd spot