Thread: STARMELO has completely ****ed the rep system!!!

Hybrid View

Default STARMELO has completely ****ed the rep system!!!

At the behest of several of the moderators, and out of love for my fav site on the net, I'm making an attempt to bring common sense to a situation that is really screwed up and out of hand.

That said, I will just make it very clear: The STARMELO crew has torn the rep system from the floor up.

How are they doing this you ask??

Well it took me a bit to catch on, but after awhile I began to grew suspicious of how certain posters were accumulating rep at such a quick pace..

We've seen them. Several new posters that have joined the forum over the last year or so simply have a ridiculous amount of rep as compared to the amount of time they've been on the forum. When you look at the amount of time they've been posting and the quality of the posts they make, it's easy to wonder how some of these guys have gained the rep they have.

Guys like me, Isayyugh, smokes and others have been surpassed in the rep department by posters who haven't posted as long (not nearly as long in some cases), and who don't post as well. It's ridiculous frankly, and it has taken the fun out of giving and receiving rep.

Indeed the game has changed. With regards to STARMELO, rep is no longer a way to give props for a well made argument or precise, concise idea, or simply because someone said something you agree wholeheartedly with. Rep in and of itself has become a means to an end. To them rep is there simply to get more rep, as if people can't judge on their own who the real good and real ****ty posters are already.

From what I can tell and what I've been told, two things have been happening:

1. STARMELO members are reppin' each other as much as possible. When they can't give one of there members rep because the system won't allow ( and they get the dreaded, "You have to spread some rep around before giving to _______ again") it, the have been reppin' old posts from years ago, by posters who've posted one time and never again, or old timers who used to be active but aren't any more for whatever reason etc etc. This has allowed them to circumvent the rule that posters must spread rep around before they can rep a poster they've repped already basically.

2. They've been targeting posters they don't like. That is, anyone who they think isn't a Melo supporter. It has happened on two occasions that I know of.

This is a post from a social discussion on their group page:

Kingstarbury: "Basically we just give eachother green rep to build eachother up. When we see someone hating on Carmelo for no good reason we all gang up on them and neg them. That way, when everybody sees there red bars they will know that poster is irrelevant and should be ignored.

If u see an ignorant post about Carmelo your welcome to post it here so it makes it easier for us to put in our work.

Looks like we have our first volunteer...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Time for the Carmelo Hit Squad to put in work "

StEpHoN_mArBuRy: Lets get this **** poppin!!

KingStarbury3: This motherf*cker Orangeblobman is auto neg status

Here's some posts where theories on how to get around the rep system are discussed..

KingStarbury3: "Im not 100% sure how the rep system works but I do know....

1) You can hand out 9 reps a day but lets say u handed out 4 reps in the morning and 5 at night. Then next day you'll be able to rep 4 more times in the morning. Its really 24 hours for each rep

2) Once u rep someone, i think it takes about 9 or 10 reps handed out to other posters before u can rep that someone again.

I have already seen my rep get stronger and the rep of some of u fellas...You can go to your usercp to see how many rep points u have. I know that once i got to 500, my power increased. Im at 509 right now, NYKReloaded repped me and it gave me 6 points. Crazy8's is one of the most powerful posters on this site, he repped me and gave me 19 points. Im guessing mine are worth about 12"

NYk_Reloaded718: "All that reppin i be giving and its only 6 points? im fairly new, but im at 396 points right now one more rep and i should have a rep power of 7, so im guessing the amount of rep points i give out will increase"

KingStarbury3: "Ill try and see if i can get u over 400 tonight NYK...now that u mention that, i realize my reps might be worth under 10 points. Crazy8's has a rep power of 14, we're not too far from that"

KingStarbury3: "I just hit u with some green NYk, how many rep points do u have now? Still trying to figure out how many points im givin yall"

NYk_Reloaded718: "Gracious mi amigo i salute you lol. I think i have to send out some more rep before i can rep you back, but when i do let me know how much you receive (most likely have to wait 24 hours lol) but you know i got you."

your rep pushed me from 396- 407 Btw

KingStarbury3: "Ahh i finally get it...whatever your rep power is, thats how many points you give someone when u rep them. So your reps are worth 7 points now, RunningJumps are worth 12, NY17 is at 6, etc."

More from Kingstarbury3..

KingStarbury3: "Im about to chill with reppin posters outside of the MeloMafia that have as much or more rep then me. Theres a few ill still rep but I dont want too many non crew members having more rep then us. Eventually we'll be on top, but for now a good way to use up reps is to just neg bad posts from new unknown posters. And Den318 too, that fools autoneg status

I just bumped some of yall up, Steph Marburys rep power is at 11 now. Im at 540 rep points"

That's just some of the garbage from the STARMELO group discussion page.

Two moderators have joined the group Running Jumper and Crazy 8's.

From what I can tell, RunningJumper hasn't been involved at all in the neg repping of other posters or the ghey rep inflating.

Crazy 8's joined after I informed him of what was happening (to see what was going on undercover so to speak), but before that he was being hit up regularly by Kingstarbury3 for rep hits. He too has of course not been involved in neg repping.

I also came across this thread..

...called,

We got our first target

NY17KNICKS:

"http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12905"

KingStarbury3: "Definitely gonna neg that f*ggot next chance i get, but i gotta hand out more rep before gettin back to him"

StEpHoN_mArBuRy: "Got em coach!"

KingStarbury3: "Just negged him a 2nd time"

KingStarbury3:"I got him a 3rd time, i wonder if anyone will get suspicious with all the rep I've been handing out?"

KingStarbury3: "Heres a breakdown of red targets and green targets

GREEN

KingStarbury

NY17Knicks

Shaunyboy23

StEpHoN_mArBuRy

Almost_famous718

DaTPRiNCE

RED

orangeblobman

Den318
    http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/s...&postcount=101"

MeloforMayor: "LMAO sup fellas. Cadet MeloforMayor, ready to troll some Melo-hating asses, sir!"

StEpHoN_mArBuRy: "I finally spreaded enough rep to get at my nig KS again... ****..."

StEpHoN_mArBuRy: "New target added to neg rep list:

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/s...10&postcount=9"

KingStarbury3: "lol that f*ggots already red...he'll never see green on here"

Is this highschool smh??

The above nonsense needs to be dealt with.

IMO one of two things needs to happen. Rady should either do away with the rep system entirely with relation to posters repping one another (everyone would still be able to receive rep via length of time on the site, number of posts, threads created that receive over 50-100 posts etc), OR more intense monitoring and policing needs to take place w regards to positive rep patterns and neg repping other posters etc.

One or the other.

Otherwise we'll have the above from STARMELO which really sux and takes a bit away from the fun of being a member and frequent poster here at KO.

Sorry to the posters I aired out on this thread, but frankly your behavior is ridiculous and you all deserve it.

And.. FWIW I really respect the posting of most of the members in STARMELO. Some of them may or may not be culpable. Some are and some definitely aren't culpable.

Y'all can see who they all are here
    :

Let it all be discussed and you be the judge.

Lastly, I hope this thread ultimately helps to make the forum better. That is all that is intended. I also feel bad for the posters that were unfairly targeted for whatever the reason was..

I'm posting this now because I feel it should be handled in some fashion before the season starts.

lates,

rono
    Last edited by ronoranina; Oct 14, 2012 at 23:21.

I understand your point of view here, but it's essentially a small colored bar at the bottom of your computer screen, don't get too mad about such a small thing.

Originally Posted by 21 Shump Street
    I understand your point of view here, but it's essentially a small colored bar at the bottom of your computer screen, don't get too mad about such a small thing.
    Had you been neg repped because you don't like Melo, or for some other arbitrary thing, you might feel differently.

It's unfair plain and simple.

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Had you been neg repped because you don't like Melo, or for some other arbitrary thing, you might feel differently.

It's unfair plain and simple.
    I understand your point and i'm not disagreeing with you that it's unfair. But I form my opinion of the poster based on what they have written, not the color of their rep scale.

Originally Posted by 21 Shump Street
    I understand your point and i'm not disagreeing with you that it's unfair. But I form my opinion of the poster based on what they have written, not the color of their rep scale.

And that is precisely why what is happening is unfair. Some of the people who've accumulated an insane amount of rep in a short amount of time are simply not good posters.

This situation is just screwed up on multiple levels.

Sit back and think on it awhile. You'll get it. All of the ramifications of the above really suck or else I wouldn't have made this thread.
    Last edited by ronoranina; Oct 14, 2012 at 23:57.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

I'm going to let you guys talk this out.

DZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAM. I gotta check in more often. Starbury crew you know that's not right. If you want to neg rep somebody just hit me up as much as you want. I doesnt matter to me one way or the other because I'm going to say my piece anyway.

As far as MELO, he better bring da pain to mofos this year or I'm going to be all over his ass...

wow. i feel for everyone who feels affected by +/- rep.

I happen to like most posts by Starmelo group, KingStarf*cker, CA7 (the homo sperm), and others, but to gang up on folks just for having anti-melo opinions is wrong, and to green each other just for the sake of upping their rep is wrong too. Rady's probably doing the right thing by intervening and discounting current reps, but it's the future of the rep, and the future of the site that is the question at hand. that's for all to decide. Dzwons Son, Rono, iSayUggh, Crazydick8's, CA7, Oldtimer, Metro, etc, all put thought and time into their posts, and deserve green, and it would be nice to continue giving green to newbies who contribute in a positive way to the site. but for someone new who has an anti-Melo opinion to be neg-repped, why would they continue to post or frequent the site? it's like juvenile delinquents ganging up on someone for being different!

personally, I don't give a flying f*ck. it's a little green box. probably the wrong thing to say, politically speaking for a moderator, but I agree with NYk_uploaded, I care about the Knicks more than anything. the only green i really care about is Benjamin and Buds.

i'm thinking of starting a group called The Neggers, and anyone who joins will help me give neg rep based on stupid posts, unintelligible writing and poor grammar. watch out Kiyaman!

j/k

Originally Posted by CoolClyde

I happen to like most posts by Starmelo group, KingStarf*cker, CA7 (the homo sperm), and others, but to gang up on folks just for having anti-melo opinions is wrong, and to green each other just for the sake of upping their rep is wrong too. Rady's probably doing the right thing by intervening and discounting current reps, but it's the future of the rep, and the future of the site that is the question at hand. that's for all to decide. Dzwons Son, Rono, iSayUggh, Crazydick8's, CA7, Oldtimer, Metro, etc, all put thought and time into their posts, and deserve green, and it would be nice to continue giving green to newbies who contribute in a positive way to the site. but for someone new who has an anti-Melo opinion to be neg-repped, why would they continue to post or frequent the site? it's like juvenile delinquents ganging up on someone for being different!

personally, I don't give a flying f*ck. it's a little green box. probably the wrong thing to say, politically speaking for a moderator, but I agree with NYk_uploaded, I care about the Knicks more than anything. the only green i really care about is Benjamin and Buds.

i'm thinking of starting a group called The Neggers, and anyone who joins will help me give neg rep based on stupid posts, unintelligible writing and poor grammar. watch out Kiyaman!

j/k
    Its not even like that Clyde. Im an innocent man. That move was only comtemplated but scratched. Im innocent, I do not belong behind bars...unless they are green and theirs alotta them!!

Please can we make threads that encourage actual basketball/Knicks related discussion?

Thought we were all better than this ****!

12th man

Originally Posted by CoolClyde

j/k
    You spoke for my soul in this picture...that's why you need to post more, you dropped tons of quality statements in this forum that everyone enjoys to read.

Originally Posted by smokes
    As usual you totally miss the point but hey, at least I didn't have to sit through another metro speech of "I'm loving life while you're jerking off, I'm making cash while you're standing in line at welfare, my life is so damn good that I have to brag about it on an internet forum to validate it" I don't think I could stand the irony.

You obviously can't let go of the past, ex-girlfriend type behavior. I heard all of this talk of "grown men", but I don't really see it here.

Dictionary.com
    Learn what irony means, it's a common mistake most people make...an easy one to correct though.

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    I think we all know what CA7 will say.

No ones crying Metro.

This rep wars nonsense is for kids. We're all grown men here, or claim to be and should act accordingly.

You as a moderator should understand.
    It doesn't matter if a moderator, I've been a poster here for years and I see this from the perspective of new members visiting this forum and it's important to keep forum entertaining and attractable to newer members.

I encourage the Starmelo group as long as they bring positivity to the site and insightful information along with entertaining CoolClyde/Kiyaman/Crazy8s/Lt4play/KBLack25/NewNewYork/KingStarbury type post

I don't encourage the negative repping just because someone bashes Melo.

However, if the bashing is done POORLY...a negative rep is understandable.

It's all about quality and if the message makes sense.

I've been a NOTORIOUS Melo bashing ever since Melo has came to the NBA. I've held a vendetta against him for not playing for the Puerto Rican National Team and been one of his biggest haters. But I try my best to provide supporting information that helps my message to challenge posters to research and provide information to debunk that. Theres been many classic threads on this forum that actually gotten member signing up to join the discussion.

If you have a forum where everyone just basically co-signs and works like a utopia, reading this forum will become flavorless.

I believe this is why KnicksOnline stands out...you have a lot of different minds on here, you can read someone's post and know who it is without seeing the username; everyone developed their own writing style and I appreciate the time you guys put in here.

We all have our vacations and time off from the forum, but as long as you guys pop in time to time and got reason to pop in...that's all that matters.

Every single one of us, no matter if we get repped negative or positive make a difference on this equally.

Just keep posting, Starmelo group is here to stay I believe; it's hard to stop a movement led by MSGKnickz33. You saw the amount of years Team Starbury lasted strong as a stable and got a lot of new members to register for the site just to simply argue against Team Starbury as anti Marbury posters.

Just rep members more meaningfully for example, when Crazy8's makes a spectacular game thread, or CA7 drops an insightful post rep them well...or if I make a crappy post...neg rep me.

No complaints here.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

I don't.see how. maybe with other posters, but me, the system stops me with anyone saying I have to "spread Rep around before giving some to ___"

12th man

Originally Posted by DaTPRiNCE
    I don't.see how. maybe with other posters, but me, the system stops me with anyone saying I have to "spread Rep around before giving some to ___"
    You're back brother, hope to see you post more for this season!

Originally Posted by metrocard
    You're back brother, hope to see you post more for this season!
    I concur. More DP! Ummmmmmmm.