McDyess

KnickFan2080

Benchwarmer
More disturbing news befell the Knicks yesterday about their star foward, who on Tuesday will undergo another operation on his left knee.

McDyess may not be ready for training camp and could miss the beginning of the regular season.

A C-Scan taken Tuesday - on the sixth-month anniversary of his last surgery - revealed the fractured patella bone has healed slowly and an additional bone-graft surgery will be needed to speed up the process. It will be McDyess' third operation in the left patella area in 18 months.

The procedure will take place at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, performed by special surgeon Dr. Michael Stuart and assisted by Knicks doctor Norman Scott.

this is just to much. after losing lebron, vujanic, now dice too?? the guy we had put our most hopes into? what else can go wrong? oh yeah.. chaney got another extension :evil:
this whole situation sucks with capital letters

NYK Man8

Benchwarmer
A former Mets orthopedist compared Antonio McDyess' situation to Grant Hill's and told The Post the Knicks' franchise player was likely damaged goods when they obtained him last June. Hill's career probably is finished, as he's had four left-ankle surgeries to repair a stress fracture, with none working. McDyess will have his third left-knee surgery in 18 months Tuesday in Minnesota and there's concern about his mental well-being since he considered retiring after his second surgery.
you no.. this is making sense
the more i think about these situations, the more it seems to be a nightmare. a real one. a nightmare that won't stop untill layden quits/gets fires or his contract expires
believe me, with this 3rd surgery, antonio won't get well till the beggining of the regular season, and of course, he won't catch the summer league training

allan20

Benchwarmer
nyk man8 !! how can you blame layden for this nightmare?? he is probably the best GM the knicks ever had!
now please take that back or i will get upset :canibal:

SpreeFan

Benchwarmer
NYK Man8 said:
A former Mets orthopedist compared Antonio McDyess' situation to Grant Hill's and told The Post the Knicks' franchise player was likely damaged goods when they obtained him last June. Hill's career probably is finished, as he's had four left-ankle surgeries to repair a stress fracture, with none working. McDyess will have his third left-knee surgery in 18 months Tuesday in Minnesota and there's concern about his mental well-being since he considered retiring after his second surgery.
you no.. this is making sense
the more i think about these situations, the more it seems to be a nightmare. a real one. a nightmare that won't stop untill layden quits/gets fires or his contract expires
believe me, with this 3rd surgery, antonio won't get well till the beggining of the regular season, and of course, he won't catch the summer league training
in dailynews, one of dyess' friends is pretty sure he'll play next season
A distraught Antonio McDyess is determined to return from a third knee surgery in 19 months and has vowed to play again next season, according to a person close to the Knicks' veteran power forward.
"He's obviously very upset about the situation because he just wants to play," said a McDyess confidant who asked not to be identified. "It's a terrible feeling."

McDyess has been unavailable for comment and is said to have been in seclusion since Wednesday, when the Knicks informed him that his left knee was not healing quickly enough and that additional surgery would help expedite the process. McDyess had a similar procedure in October and believed he was just weeks away from returning to the court.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/76711p-70852c.html

GhostNYK

Benchwarmer
KnickFan2080 said:
what else can go wrong? oh yeah.. chaney got another extension :evil:
this whole situation sucks with capital letters
i don't get it. chaney had a much better season, he won some games with some less valuable players. i think he deserves it.
Just look at Houston, he improved his game alot. so did anderson
so stop yammering and be thankfull for this opportunity

Swifftey

Benchwarmer
i really hope dice will be back for the next season
this crap rumors is all we DON'T need at this point
why do you guys always think to the worse ? you'll see ant's gonna be back helthy and with a thirst of play bigger than ever

allan20

Benchwarmer
just a quote from post:

No matter what was said, spewed, whispered, written, alleged or assumed about management's trades/non-trades, free agent signings/non-signings, draft gaffes and any other on- or off-the-court decisions relating to personnel, Dolan, Layden, Mills and Chaney always had an overriding opportunistic out: Jeff Van Gundy dislocated the franchise early last season by quitting; McDyess deflated this season when he blew out his kneecap in an exhibition game; Latrell Sprewell compounded that fracture by showing up for training camp with a broken hand.

SpreeFan

Benchwarmer
GhostNYK said:
i don't get it. chaney had a much better season, he won some games with some less valuable players. i think he deserves it.
Just look at Houston, he improved his game alot. so did anderson
so stop yammering and be thankfull for this opportunity
i agree, chaney improved himself, but giving him a multi year extension.. hmmm ... makes you think about it :?

KnickFan2080

Benchwarmer
Only Scott Layden could trade Marcus Camby and get back someone who plays fewer games. The Knicks' president isn't considered to be in hot water, but it has to be getting at least a little warm, now that Antonio McDyess needs more surgery on his twice-repaired knee. :lol: :lol: :lol:
source: Daily News

GhostNYK

Benchwarmer
SpreeFan said:
i agree, chaney improved himself, but giving him a multi year extension.. hmmm ... makes you think about it :?
the knicks have plenty of money to fire him in case they want.

Tweck

Rookie
The media loves to create ideas and implant them in peoples' heads. They'll create things like "Dyess Likely to Miss Next Season" out of the fact that Dyess is having more surgery. That's all we know. He has to have more surgery and no timetable has been set yet for anything. Any inference of possibilities concerning next season derived from what is known is pure speculation and basically adds up to sensationalized media fodder, extrapolations meant to sell more papers and ensnare more readers. It's pure capitalist intent and has nothing to do with reality. The problem is, it makes us all think the worst.

Although, it's not all that good of an idea to think the BEST either. I think the Knicks need to consider the possibility of McDyess being out and try to upgrade the roster as if the worst case was definite. That way, if the best case comes true, we've got a really beefed up front court and can actually compete for a change.

allan20

Benchwarmer
McDyess Has Successful Surgery

honestly, i hope the following post article is just an idea to implant in people's heads as Tweck says, and i hop dice will be ready for the sumer camp
from nba.com:
nba.com/knicks said:
New York Knickerbockers forward Antonio McDyess had successful surgery today to add additional bone graft to his fractured left patella. The surgery, which will expedite the healing of the injury, was performed by Dr. Michael Stuart and Dr. Robert Trousdale at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, with Knicks Team Physician Dr. Norman Scott assisting. The two-hour surgery was without complications, and McDyess will be able to begin rehabilitation in about two weeks.

from nypost:
nypost said:
Medical experts say full healing from a bone-graft procedure takes from three months to six months, depending on the patient.

This patient - the Knicks' franchise player - was not fully healed six months after his Oct. 16 surgery to repair the cracked patella bone. It's still very much in doubt whether McDyess will be ready for training camp or ever play a full season again.

The Knicks released a happy-go-lucky statement in which Knicks doctor Norman Scott said, "There were no surprises during the surgery. We are very optimistic that Antonio will have a full recovery and be able to play again next season."

NYK Man8

Benchwarmer
hopefully dice will be back for the season. i really don't think we'll see him to many games, but at least 20

rady

Administrator
Staff member
McDyess might make opener

Daily News said:
After months of uncertainty regarding the health and future of Antonio McDyess, the Knicks have finally received encouraging news about their injured power forward.

A CAT scan taken last week revealed that McDyess' surgically repaired left knee is 90% healed, according to a person close to McDyess.

The same source added that McDyess expects to be given clearance to begin practicing by the end of the month and that he could start the regular season on the active roster.

The Knicks have declined to give a timetable for McDyess, which has fueled speculation that he would not return until January. Yesterday, the team would neither confirm nor deny the results of the CAT scan, maintaining its policy not to give medical updates on its players.

However, Knicks spokesman Joe Favorito admitted that the organization would provide information regarding McDyess' status "later in September."

"But as of right now," added Favorito, "we're not commenting on any aspect of Antonio's health."

Neither McDyess nor his agent, Andy Miller, returned phone calls yesterday.

McDyess has told several friends that he expects to join the team at some point in training camp. However, McDyess and Knicks officials are in agreement that McDyess will continue to rehab at a deliberate pace and that he will not play in any exhibition games.

McDyess, who has appeared in 10games over the past two seasons, missed all of the 2002-03 season after suffering a a fractured left kneecap in the third preseason game.

"They're going to be super cautious this time around," said a person with knowledge of McDyess' rehabilitation. "Even if Antonio thinks he's ready to play, they're going to wait until the season starts before he sees action."

McDyess, who will be 29 years old in three days, is entering the final year of his contract. The one-time All-Star has averaged 17.6 points and 8.7 rebounds for his career. If healthy, McDyess would make the Knicks a playoff contender.

However, McDyess has had three surgeries on his left knee over a 19-month span, which increases the likelihood of re-injury. Last April, in the days leading up to McDyess' most recent surgery, Knicks team physician Dr. Norman Scott said: "I don't think this is a career-threatening situation at all. This is just a speed bump."

McDyess had surgery last October, one year to the day after he had surgery to repair a partially torn patella tendon. Additional surgery to graft bone to the fractured area of the kneecap was required in April to further stimulate blood flow.

Since his April surgery, McDyess has spent most of his time rehabbing in New York with Greg Brittenham, the Knicks' strength and conditioning coach.
http://media.nykfan.8k.com/news/0203/09/04.html

GhostNYK

Benchwarmer
thing are looking bright for gotham :)
but, we still have to wait, as the article says, official news will be provided later this month
:gony:

KnickFan2080

Benchwarmer
it's still just 90%. we need 100% to be sure he's not risking another injury.
i wouldn't like to see him play just a few game sin the beggining, and then crash again. and after he gets 100% ready.. will he still be able to play well? let's not forget it's almost a year since he played his last official game.

anyway, he still has 2 months to recover perfectly, let's hope it's enouhg