OT: James Harden traded to Rockets

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
A6RA9aFCMAALK_t.jpg

tiger0330

Legend
Houston giving up 2 first rounders on top of the players traded to OKC...Houston is insane
They gave up a 2nd round pick also through Charlotte. Houston could afford to give up those picks they have too many young guys on that team, 3 1st rounders last draft and they have their 1st rd pick next draft. Good trade for Houston, KMart was in the last year of his deal and there have been rumors of them trading him anyway and they got a better player in the Beard. Presti is a sharp talent evaluator, he must think Jeremy Lamb has potential to be a stud to make this deal and Harden wasn't worth the max otherwise why not wait until Harden became a RFA and match a teams offer.

smokes

Huge Member
^ Hahahaha oh god! :lol:

Wow this move is great for OKC they just keep doing it over and over, getting better and better a year or two down the line. To be honest Harden was not a great fit in OKC when you have Durant 30ppg and Westbrook 25ppg you don't need another 25ppg scorer in there who is pretty weak on defense.

Those pick details are kinda hard to understand tbh!

tiger0330

Legend
^ Hahahaha oh god! :lol:

Wow this move is great for OKC they just keep doing it over and over, getting better and better a year or two down the line. To be honest Harden was not a great fit in OKC when you have Durant 30ppg and Westbrook 25ppg you don't need another 25ppg scorer in there who is pretty weak on defense.

Those pick details are kinda hard to understand tbh!
But that's exactly what OKC got in KMart. Great scorer but can't play a lick of D, Harden is a way better defender than KMart also.

tiger0330

Legend
A good trade for not only both teams but both players. KMart goes to a Finals contender that he wanted and The Beard gets to be the main man.

OKC doesn't lose any scoring with KMart this year and gets a try and buy with him and Lamb has potential. I don't think those picks are going to be real valuable because I think Toronto will be a fringe playoff team this year and not a doormat.

Houston has been stuck in the mud since the Yao/TMac days and some predicted they would be near the bottom in the WC this year. I think they move up with Harden, they also got the backup C they needed and a sniper. They could afford to trade those picks, that's what they've been collecting them for, to get someone like Harden.

CA7

Scoring Champ
If I was Harden I would have went to Presti and said look if I cant get the max can I at least get a deal to a place I want to go to. Now he's stuck in Houston and who knows how he feels about this. I think if you're upcoming RFA and are traded in your contract year you should automatically become a UFA, its not fair to these guys.

Oklahoma City could have gotten deals from 4 or 5 teams with more to offer than Houston.

We know they wouldn't send him to a contender. But teams like Charlotte, Detroit and Utah could have offered more

IDK but this is one of those deals that will take a while to see who won. I think Houston works out better to start the year since they have low expectations and will likely outperform

I'm interested to see how this effects Durant who fed off of Harden as much as Westbrook

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@NYP_Berman: later that day Durant called Knicks star forawrd Carmelo Anthony and shouted "it's all your fault you greedy mother****er" source reports.
:teeth:

CA7

Scoring Champ
@NYP_Berman: later that day Durant called Knicks star forawrd Carmelo Anthony and shouted "it's all your fault you greedy mother****er" source reports.

I called that **** earlier, its all Melo's fault

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot

I called that **** earlier, its all Melo's fault
It has to be Melo's fault, I also wouldn't be surprised if LeBron was involved in the process, or the Lakers. :teeth:
But, imagine him going to LA, a lineup of Nash, Kobe, Bearden, Gas and Howard would dominate this league until Kobe and Nash retire. :lol:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^

:lol:

Alright dudes, the game 1 GT is done and will be up tonight hopefully. Once it's up, it'll be time to boot this thread to the NBA section.

USE THE NBA SECTION! VIDS IN PARTICULAR WILL BE VERY NICE IN THERE.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Done already? Bro, you're quick! I'm currently working on my MIA GT and I'm wondering if you wanna rate what I already have. ;)

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer
It's difficult to jump to immediate conclusions about whether a trade is good or bad without letting things play out, but here is my attempt.

For Harden:
People are saying he wouldn't compromise on 5-6 million in exchange for being able to stay on a good team. The guy is only 23 years old though. The reasons it's important for him to get the max contract is that in his mind, he expects to develop into a superstar caliber player very shortly. Then again, he may just end up another joe johnson, but Houston provides an opportunity to develop himself into a big name guy, while in OKC he would always be #3. Not to mention he will be playing alongside Lin, and we all saw how much playing alongside Yao benefited T-mac's marketability.

For OKC
Because of the cap penalties, it would be pretty reckless to offer Harden a max deal. Personally, I think the OKC front office is the best in the league, and 2 potentially high draft picks in their hands is very valuable. Not to mention Lamb has the potential to develop into a very legitimate 2. Overall, I think this is the type of trade you see in baseball when the small market team can't afford the superstar, and instead trade him for the next up and coming guy.

For Houston
This is a $$$ move for Houston. They need a winning team immediately to put substance behind the hype that will come with having Lin. Trying to rebuild through the draft isn't an option, and for the Lin gamble to pay off, the team will have to be competitive immediately.

Last edited:

petescud

Starter
who gives a ****, its 3 days till we play the Nets....and the last power standing i saw had the Nets at like 7 and us at like 11....wow

smokes

Huge Member
But that's exactly what OKC got in KMart. Great scorer but can't play a lick of D, Harden is a way better defender than KMart also.

Wasn't laughing at your post was obviously posting at the same time as you, was referring to the picture above.

Yes you're right but KMart is not going to put the same amount of stress on their cap situation as Harden would. So sure they took back a lesser player but they gained freedom, young talent and future picks.

You don't give a max deal to a 6th man.

This is a lesson to NY front office on how to get value back for the players you don't want.

tiger0330

Legend
Wasn't laughing at your post was obviously posting at the same time as you, was referring to the picture above.

Yes you're right but KMart is not going to put the same amount of stress on their cap situation as Harden would. So sure they took back a lesser player but they gained freedom, young talent and future picks.

You don't give a max deal to a 6th man.

This is a lesson to NY front office on how to get value back for the players you don't want.
You're right about inept FO look at the below salaries. Melo and Amare 3 and 4, tell me they're worth more than the guys below them.

Kobe Bryant L.A. Lakers $27,849,149
Dirk Nowitzki Dallas Mavericks $20,907,128
Carmelo Anthony New York Knicks $20,463,024
Amar'e Stoudemire New York Knicks $19,948,799
Joe Johnson Brooklyn Nets $19,752,645
Dwight Howard L.A. Lakers $19,536,360
Pau Gasol L.A. Lakers $19,000,000
Chris Paul LA Clippers $17,779,458
Chris Bosh Miami Heat $17,545,000
LeBron James Miami Heat $17,545,000
Dwyane Wade Miami Heat $17,182,000
Deron Williams Brooklyn Nets $17,177,795
Andrew Bynum Philadelphia 76ers $16,889,000
Paul Pierce Boston Celtics $16,790,345
Kevin Durant Oklahoma City Thunder $16,669,630
Zach Randolph Memphis Grizzlies $16,500,000
Rudy Gay Memphis Grizzlies $16,460,538
Derrick Rose Chicago Bulls $16,402,552

At least OKC got something in return instead of Harden just leaving in FA. Harden was huge for them when it can to both sides of the court, but I think their team can fill in what Harden brought. Kevin Martin is all offense no defense but he should be able to get tons of open looks now that the attention will be mostly on Durant/Westbrook. Look for Harden to put up all star numbers this year with Houston, and it will be interesting to see Kevin Martin finally on a winning team.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Houston giving up 2 first rounders on top of the players traded to OKC...Houston is insane

Desperate to make a splash is this team!

This will either prove to be a Grand Slam off season for them or one of the worst ever.

Potential is no doubt there with young players like Harden,Lin,Parsons and Asik...yet in 3 years 3 out of four of those guys will be making 14+ million...that's bout as much as Miami got Bosh Wade and Lebron to sign for. if those players don't perform...lets just say Isiah would look smart compared to their GM!