Ronnie Brewer Thread

DrB

Benchwarmer
or Harrelson or Douglas, or Jordan or Dumptoni for that matter...and best of all Jeffies. This is a response to someone saying "Does anyone miss Fields...nah" to which I add the or's....quite frankly don't mis Lin either. Thank you for last year but you pulled some **** so BYE BYE.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
546701909_Untitled_122_488lo.jpg

New New York

Quiet Storm
He's a better finisher than he has shown (at least I hope)

The Jumper is falling at a better rate than expected so that covers up the missed layups.

I suspect once he gets his legs back under him he'll show some of those nice finishes we saw in Chicago.

His Defense is every bit what I thought it would be. Love the tenacity on the boards

Food for thought

Landry Fields 5 million dollars (I even rounded down)

Brewer 1.06 million dollars

Fields: 2.4 ppg. 3.2 rebs 1.6 ast .6 stls .208 FG% (whoa)

Brewer: 10.5 ppg 7.0 rebs 1.5 ast 1.2 stls .471 FG%

Nuff said.

ChrisN7

Benchwarmer
Best contract in the league by far.

Someone give this guy an EXTENSION!

Was going to post about this. What is Brewer's contract situation? Obviously quite a small amount but is it one year, 2 years, more? And generally what's our cap situation like for keeping hold of the likes of Brewer, JR (is his contract only one year, or more?), Sheed and the other short term guys? Are we in a position to keep this entire roster (give or take one or two guys, White isn't contributing anything aside from garbage time for example) together over the next 2 or 3 seasons?

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
zohpms.jpg

Was going to post about this. What is Brewer's contract situation? Obviously quite a small amount but is it one year, 2 years, more? And generally what's our cap situation like for keeping hold of the likes of Brewer, JR (is his contract only one year, or more?), Sheed and the other short term guys? Are we in a position to keep this entire roster (give or take one or two guys, White isn't contributing anything aside from garbage time for example) together over the next 2 or 3 seasons?

Im pretty sure he signed to a 1 year deal....

Forrest17

Rotation player

He signed a one year vet min deal I think. I believe we can give him more next season but Im not sure how much

knicksin60

Starter
Brewer will be here for the long term hopefully. Would hate to see him, Shumpert and Felton included in a package for CP3.

Now yall see why i was so excited about getting him.. especially at the price we did. Man we really had a great off season when you think about all the dead weight we removed.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Brewer will be here for the long term hopefully. Would hate to see him, Shumpert and Felton included in a package for CP3.

The only way I see that happening or GG making that move is if he got Stats contract off the books. Which won't happen. So I wouldn't worry about it. GG seems like he likes building a team, with depth and diversity. Theres no way well be able to do that with 4 players on max deals. It was hard enough even with 3 for that matter. Can only imagine the moves Grunwald could have made if we didn't have stats contract.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The only way I see that happening or GG making that move is if he got Stats contract off the books. Which won't happen. So I wouldn't worry about it. GG seems like he likes building a team, with depth and diversity. Theres no way well be able to do that with 4 players on max deals. It was hard enough even with 3 for that matter. Can only imagine the moves Grunwald could have made if we didn't have stats contract.

STAT's contract and defence are killing us. If the Knicks push in to the ECFs this year, then maybe - MAYBE - Dolan will unleash the cash. If not, we may be able to S&T both he and Smith, but I doubt it'll happen. They'll be courted like mad if they keep this play up.

F*cking Stoudemire! :wallbash:

Forrest17

Rotation player
Crazy⑧s;252990 said:
STAT's contract and defence are killing us. If the Knicks push in to the ECFs this year, then maybe - MAYBE - Dolan will unleash the cash. If not, we may be able to S&T both he and Smith, but I doubt it'll happen. They'll be courted like mad if they keep this play up.

F*cking Stoudemire! :wallbash:

Yeah totally. Though Im not sure if his contract hurts us as much as it once did. I think it just killed some potential moves we could have made (Like O.J Mayo etc.)

But Correct me if im wrong, even if we had kept our amnesty and written Stat off the books completely, we would still be over the cap or really close too it. Because of all the moves Grunwald has made since then combined with carmelo and Chandler (who totally earn their contracts)

So while it hurts, Im not sure if its really the big killer it might seem like. We still have a lot of flexibility with some clever gm work to manipulate the cap, which Grunwald seems very adept at. While we could make some more moves without stats contract, it would only really be the difference between a 3 million mle and a 5 million. Which isn't that HUGE of a difference.

He designed it so that pretty much everything comes off the books after 2014 , other than novak. So until then its just a bunch of cap manipulation till then. With things like bird rights and sign and trades Im sure we will be fine. And in 2014 worst case scenario I bet we can find someone to take his expiring contract if he doesn't turn things around.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Yeah totally. Though Im not sure if his contract hurts us as much as it once did. I think it just killed some potential moves we could have made (Like O.J Mayo etc.)

But Correct me if im wrong, even if we had kept our amnesty and written Stat off the books completely, we would still be over the cap or really close too it. Because of all the moves Grunwald has made since then combined with carmelo and Chandler (who totally earn their contracts)

So while it hurts, Im not sure if its really the big killer it might seem like. We still have a lot of flexibility with some clever gm work to manipulate the cap, which Grunwald seems very adept at. While we could make some more moves without stats contract, it would only really be the difference between a 3 million mle and a 5 million. Which isn't that HUGE of a difference.

He designed it so that pretty much everything comes off the books after 2014 , other than novak. So until then its just a bunch of cap manipulation till then. With things like bird rights and sign and trades Im sure we will be fine. And in 2014 worst case scenario I bet we can find someone to take his expiring contract if he doesn't turn things around.

It depends on how well the season goes, and what it'll take to meet early expectation. I'm not overly sure of what moves would be possible, given Dolan's sporadic behaviour come salary time and who/what's available to us.

As far as I know, we've used up all of our exceptions: MLE, MMLE etc. I don't think signing Jimmy White to a partially guaranteed 2 year, $1.8M deal was a good move by Grun Dog, Pablo's proven to be worth beyond that already.

The Knicks know that their window of opportunity closes at the end of the 2014-2015 season with the group they've assembled, but the key will be the 2 previous off-seasons - this year's and 2013-2014, in which Brewer comes off the books (12-13), Kurt Thomas will likely retire (assumption), Pablo might return to Argentina, who knows?

The big killer is JR's Player Option. I was an advocate of holding on to him and his sky-high potential this offseason, and look how it's payed off so far. We need to keep this guy. He's putting in a bid for a starters job anywhere in the league outside of 4-5 teams, and was denied that starting role here.

Re the cap, I think STAT's contract kills us. We've played our best ball without him, and his uninsured contract makes him immovable. The league's new injury exception will be the only thing that clears him off the books ASAP. The only other option would be something along the lines of what the Knicks did with Eddy Curry ~ pay off the majority of his contract and then move him.

If Amar'e comes back and plays well, AWESOME! I don't think I can be labelled too much of a cynic for seeing that as unlikely. Everything he sucks at the most is what we need him to excel at.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Crazy⑧s;253002 said:
If Amar'e comes back and plays well, AWESOME! I don't think I can be labelled too much of a cynic for seeing that as unlikely. Everything he sucks at the most is what we need him to excel at.

I actually think he'll play well I'd be more worried about him being injured again, if you look at it everytime since Melo's been in NY that Amare's started to play well he gets injured or something and it sets him back even more.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
PLEASE PLAY HIM. Sick of Woodson not playing him as if some of the regulars in the rotation are doing much. He couldn't even get minutes in garbage time.