Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Knicks sign Aaron Afflalo!

  1. #1
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,654
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Knicks sign Aaron Afflalo!

    uploadfromtaptalk1435838371123.jpg

    Afflalo signed a 2 year deal with knicks for 16 mil total. This means he is only signed for 8 mil a year....there is a player option after this season. This is so much better than Wesley Matthews for 15 mil a year or shumpert at 10 mil a year.

    Via Romona Shelburne

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Paul1355; Jul 02, 2015 at 07:17.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,819
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Good job not overpaying but Cap Space for a Afflalo on a 2yr deal means revolving door of players in and out of this organization while Phil is here.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,629
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I couldn't agree more with the OP in this thread. We upgraded a position for a reasonable amount on a short term deal. It would be crazy to overpay and hand out long term deals in this free agent market with how grim things look for us this next season. Good, sensible signing by PJ.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,629
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    On a side note, this deal still leaves us enough to offer Monroe a max contract or are we done with that thinking now?

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,818
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally Posted by htr10
    On a side note, this deal still leaves us enough to offer Monroe a max contract or are we done with that thinking now?
    Nope, with the money that's being spent in FA you can forget the idea that the Knicks can pick him up for less than the max. I hope he decides in the next couple of days so we can move on to Lopez if he turns us down.

    Affalo's contract was a shock after hearing he wanted a 3yr/36M deal and he settled for a 2yr/16M. Essentially it's a try and buy for him, he'll play his heart out next season to up his value for that big payday in 2016. Probably a Knick for one year and you can credit Melo for it. Good but not great stop gap signing for the Knicks.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,819
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Nope, with the money that's being spent in FA you can forget the idea that the Knicks can pick him up for less than the max. I hope he decides in the next couple of days so we can move on to Lopez if he turns us down.

    Affalo's contract was a shock after hearing he wanted a 3yr/36M deal and he settled for a 2yr/16M. Essentially it's a try and buy for him, he'll play his heart out next season to up his value for that big payday in 2016. Probably a Knick for one year and you can credit Melo for it. Good but not great stop gap signing for the Knicks.
    Can Melo recruit players he hasn't played with, who are actually very good and best yrs aren't behind them? Can Phil recruit players without Melo going to his default stash? For a try and buy guy such as Afflalo does this have other free agents salivating to come here and do likewise?

  7. #7
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,654
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Originally Posted by htr10
    On a side note, this deal still leaves us enough to offer Monroe a max contract or are we done with that thinking now?
    Monroe signed with Bucks and Aldridge cancelled his meeting with us...so we have Jordan and Lopez to go after....I'm thinking we should go after Tobias Harris

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,719
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    So this is our new squad?

    C - Robin Lopez/Cole Aldrich/Kyle O’Quinn
    PF - Derrick Williams/Kristraps Porzingis/Jason Smith?
    SF - Carmelo Anthony/Cleanthony Early
    SG - Aaron Aflalo/Langston Galloway/Jerian Grant
    PG - Jose Calderon/Shane Larkin

    Still weak at at the small forward position but we've got depth.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,818
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally Posted by donchris
    So this is our new squad?

    C - Robin Lopez/Cole Aldrich/Kyle O’Quinn
    PF - Derrick Williams/Kristraps Porzingis/Jason Smith?
    SF - Carmelo Anthony/Cleanthony Early
    SG - Aaron Aflalo/Langston Galloway/Jerian Grant
    PG - Jose Calderon/Shane Larkin

    Still weak at at the small forward position but we've got depth.
    Larkin signed with the Nets.
    Aldrich, Smith haven't signed.

  10. #10
    Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,719
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Larkin signed with the Nets.
    Aldrich, Smith haven't signed.
    Ah ok. Still not a bad start. Langston or Jerian can be back up PG.
    We need for Derrick Williams and Aflalo to really step up offensively in order for this to be a competitive season.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,818
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Knicks were dead last in scoring last season at 91.9ppg so Melo, Calderon, Affalo and the rookies have to step up.

    Williams is a defensive liability ranking 94/94 or dead last in DRPM the only PF with a -4 (-4.59) in the league. I doubt he starts, playing defense like that and O'Quinn is a bruiser and nothing special on the offensive end, no post game, OK jumper but he lost minutes to Dewayne Dedmon in Orlando and they weren't interested in keeping him so you wonder how good he is. Makes me laugh that the media is talking him up like he's the Knicks savior, he's a good value signing at 4M and thats it to me. Lopez has never been a scorer.

    The Knicks imo had a better scoring team last season than this bunch, I don't think we see a dramatic turnaround with this team next year.

Similar Threads

  1. Magic Trade Afflalo back 2 Denver
    By Broadway in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 26, 2014, 10:52
  2. Knicks interested in Aaron Brooks
    By metrocard in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 30, 2013, 18:23
  3. Cut Sheed.. sign Aaron Brooks
    By StEpHoN_mArBuRy in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Mar 02, 2013, 07:28
  4. Aaron Afflalo
    By MeloforMayor in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Dec 16, 2011, 17:22
  5. Knicks Interested in Aaron Brooks (Newsday)
    By masterreborn in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb 08, 2011, 11:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •