Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Anyone following the Royce White situation ?

  1. #1
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Anyone following the Royce White situation ?

    From Mark Berman's recent update:


    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    According to sources, White's most recent problems with the team began last week when he told the club he was upset that he was not playing, and he said if he is not playing he is going to have anxiety and he is not going to show up.
    As an athlete, amateur boxer...it's hard for me to see Royce behaving like this.
    Theres been points in my life where I lost my job, my girl, I was homeless for two weeks and I had issues in court, but I still dragged my sorry ass to boxing to spar with 3 guys for 9-12 rounds, 4-5 times a week, do a 5 mile run in the morning and go my grandfather's apt to do power yoga, 200 pull ups, and 600 push ups + 10 minute planks. Hard work at that point of my life was the only thing I had, and I had to work harder than that to get the little I have now in my life.

    I understand White has talent and worked hard enough to make it to the NBA...but I can't comprehend letting this anxiety boost up his ego and make him above the team or the game...you got to respect the game.

    Educate me on the study of anxiety disorders if you may.

    If the team doesn't play you, it don't f*cking matter. White is a rookie...what does he want? LeBron minutes? Think this dude is way over his head. I punish my body daily and getting a boxing match is not easy these days, especially with the lack of support the amateur boxing committee gets, it's all about sales now. Dudes want to see more blood in the Golden Gloves tournaments, so now Open Class will be fought without head gear, professional style.

    What would Royce White do if he boxed? I don't know how he's getting away with this in the NBA, he got fined already...but I can't see a future for this dude at all.

  2. #2
    Veteran Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    1,472
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I heard about White and his anxiety issues during the offseason but stopped following him as soon as the season began. Had no idea this was going on. A part of me wants to root for him since its a very intriguing sports story that would make a good documentary. Still, your right, its unheard of to give him this kind of treatment. Part of drafting a player is understanding what baggage they bring with them. I haven't see enough him to warrant that kind of faux "star" treatment. I can't be good for morale. He reminds me of one of those artsy kids from HS that had a crazy personality disorder which lead to being coddled by everyone else.

  3. #3
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    I once believed I had this anxiety disorder, I believe the fact that Dr.'s call it a disorder brainwashes people. Its more of a lack of good coping skills and dealing with stress. Your most likely to be like those u grow up around and if people around u are too negative and overreact to stress, thats how your gonna be. My pops has always been quick to get mad and my mom is always quick to worry. Some people start to feel physical symptoms, i have felt everyone of them at one point or another and got on and off of meds twice. The last time i was on meds was 09 but I realized that the meds for this sh*t f*ck people up even worse. So it wasnt too long before i got off the meds after my 2nd failed stint with them. Not too long ago i did the attacking anxiety and depression program by Lucinda Basset and it helped put things into the proper perspective for me. Anxiety and stress are something that everybody feels. Some people that have a positive inner dialogue talk themselves through situations and never/rarely feel the physical symptoms.

    Anxiety is deeply rooted in my family history, several members of my fam that are older then me and deceased are/were on xanax and other poisonous medicines for their whole lives. I'd rather suffer then be on meds. But like i said i havent been on any meds since the end of 2009. I continue to get better with time and Im very thankful that this isn't gonna be something that will be a problem for me for my whole life like several of my aunts and uncles, and even some of my grandparents. The type of knowledge they have out there is the wrong type, its the type that only makes this anxiety stuff worse for people. It brainwashes them. Theres probably at least a handfull of other members on here that have dealt with this stuff at some point. If u need any help u can hit me up anytime

    Anxiety can greatly effect the lives of some people, i have heard of people not even stepping outside of their homes. Royce White however is behaving very childishly. I guess I often did too. When he was a kid i bet his folks were way too easy on him. Parents of Knicksonline, do your seeds a favor: Dont let your kids get their way. Im not saying to be mean and beat them but when u say something to them, dont turn back on it. Make them be responsible, eat good and do chores. They'll thank u later in life for it. Houston should do absolutely nothing to accommodate this kid. Make him adapt to the team, not the team adapt to him. One more note, people with "anxiety disorder" also have above average intelligence.

    Physical Symptoms:

    Sweating
    Cold Sweats
    Dizzy/nautious
    heart racing
    feeling of not really being where you are
    shortness of breath
    Feeling of having to vomit

    Having these symptons can easily lead to depression, making the cycle more vicious.
    Last edited by KingStarbury3; Nov 14, 2012 at 23:47.

  4. #4
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    I once believed I had this anxiety disorder, I believe the fact that Dr.'s call it a disorder brainwashes people. Its more of a lack of good coping skills and dealing with stress. Your most likely to be like those u grow up around and if people around u are too negative and overreact to stress, thats how your gonna be. My pops has always been quick to get mad and my mom is always quick to worry. Some people start to feel physical symptoms, i have felt everyone of them at one point or another and got on and off of meds twice. The last time i was on meds was 09 but I realized that the meds for this sh*t f*ck people up even worse. So it wasnt too long before i got off the meds after my 2nd failed stint with them. Not too long ago i did the attacking anxiety and depression program by Lucinda Basset and it helped put things into the proper perspective for me. Anxiety and stress are something that everybody feels. Some people that have a positive inner dialogue talk themselves through situations and never/rarely feel the physical symptoms.

    Anxiety is deeply rooted in my family history, several members of my fam that are older then me and deceased are/were on xanax and other poisonous medicines for their whole lives. I'd rather suffer then be on meds. But like i said i havent been on any meds since the end of 2009. I continue to get better with time and Im very thankful that this isn't gonna be something that will be a problem for me for my whole life like several of my aunts and uncles, and even some of my grandparents. The type of knowledge they have out there is the wrong type, its the type that only makes this anxiety stuff worse for people. It brainwashes them. Theres probably at least a handfull of other members on here that have dealt with this stuff at some point. If u need any help u can hit me up anytime

    Anxiety can greatly effect the lives of some people, i have heard of people not even stepping outside of their homes. Royce White however is behaving very childishly. I guess I often did too. When he was a kid i bet his folks were way too easy on him. Parents of Knicksonline, do your seeds a favor: Dont let your kids get their way. Im not saying to be mean and beat them but when u say something to them, dont turn back on it. Make them be responsible and do chores. They'll thank u later in life for it. Houston should do absolutely nothing to accommodate this kid. Make him adapt to the team, not the team adapt to him. One more note, people with "anxiety disorder" also have above average intelligence.

    Physical Symptoms:

    Sweating
    Cold Sweats
    Dizzy/nautious
    heart racing
    feeling of not really being where you are
    shortness of breath
    Feeling of having to vomit

    Having these symptons can easily lead to depression, making the cycle more vicious.
    + rep for this post because it's real (like Pac would say). I have also suffered from Anxiety, it hit me really hard last year. I first noticed it when I was maybe 12 playing ball at Astoria park and then I just started feeling depersonalization (feeling of not really being where you are) and it was kind of an out of body experience. It happened out of no where and I was freaking out because I didn't why I feeling like that. Then it would happen again to the point where I was having anxiety attacks almost everyday and it wouldn't let me focus on school, family etc. After seeing the neurologist to see what the **ck was going on the doctor told me that I suffer from anxiety and that I just need to relax and not think about it. Knowing that Anxiety disorders are normal and that many people all over the world suffer from it as well helped me a lot as well. If you have anxiety the best thing to do is eat well, relax, and get it out of your mind. Anxiety is no joke and it's really scary when it is happening to you. Not to sound cliche but smoking weed has really helped calm me down and since I started toking up my anxiety has been gone. And I agree with what you said on meds, it really doesn't fix the problem it just relieves the symptoms. I believe ADHD and medication (in some cases) is complete bs, counseling and helping people cope and understand their problem is a better method imo.

  5. #5
    Veteran Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    1,472
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    I once believed I had this anxiety disorder, I believe the fact that Dr.'s call it a disorder brainwashes people. Its more of a lack of good coping skills and dealing with stress. Your most likely to be like those u grow up around and if people around u are too negative and overreact to stress, thats how your gonna be. My pops has always been quick to get mad and my mom is always quick to worry. Some people start to feel physical symptoms, i have felt everyone of them at one point or another and got on and off of meds twice. The last time i was on meds was 09 but I realized that the meds for this sh*t f*ck people up even worse. So it wasnt too long before i got off the meds after my 2nd failed stint with them. Not too long ago i did the attacking anxiety and depression program by Lucinda Basset and it helped put things into the proper perspective for me. Anxiety and stress are something that everybody feels. Some people that have a positive inner dialogue talk themselves through situations and never/rarely feel the physical symptoms.

    Anxiety is deeply rooted in my family history, several members of my fam that are older then me and deceased are/were on xanax and other poisonous medicines for their whole lives. I'd rather suffer then be on meds. But like i said i havent been on any meds since the end of 2009. I continue to get better with time and Im very thankful that this isn't gonna be something that will be a problem for me for my whole life like several of my aunts and uncles, and even some of my grandparents. The type of knowledge they have out there is the wrong type, its the type that only makes this anxiety stuff worse for people. It brainwashes them. Theres probably at least a handfull of other members on here that have dealt with this stuff at some point. If u need any help u can hit me up anytime

    Anxiety can greatly effect the lives of some people, i have heard of people not even stepping outside of their homes. Royce White however is behaving very childishly. I guess I often did too. When he was a kid i bet his folks were way too easy on him. Parents of Knicksonline, do your seeds a favor: Dont let your kids get their way. Im not saying to be mean and beat them but when u say something to them, dont turn back on it. Make them be responsible and do chores. They'll thank u later in life for it. Houston should do absolutely nothing to accommodate this kid. Make him adapt to the team, not the team adapt to him. One more note, people with "anxiety disorder" also have above average intelligence.

    Physical Symptoms:

    Sweating
    Cold Sweats
    Dizzy/nautious
    heart racing
    feeling of not really being where you are
    shortness of breath
    Feeling of having to vomit

    Having these symptons can easily lead to depression, making the cycle more vicious.
    thanks for sharing this. I think we all go through things at times and its always empowering to see public figures bout with them as well. When we deal with things like this its in the privacy of our lives. I can't imagine it helping White now that the entire world has him under a microscope.

  6. #6
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    + rep for this post because it's real (like Pac would say). I have also suffered from Anxiety, it hit me really hard last year. I first noticed it when I was maybe 12 playing ball at Astoria park and then I just started feeling depersonalization (feeling of not really being where you are) and it was kind of an out of body experience. It happened out of no where and I was freaking out because I didn't why I feeling like that. Then it would happen again to the point where I was having anxiety attacks almost everyday and it wouldn't let me focus on school, family etc. After seeing the neurologist to see what the **ck was going on the doctor told me that I suffer from anxiety and that I just need to relax and not think about it. Knowing that Anxiety disorders are normal and that many people all over the world suffer from it as well helped me a lot as well. If you have anxiety the best thing to do is eat well, relax, and get it out of your mind. Anxiety is no joke and it's really scary when it is happening to you. Not to sound cliche but smoking weed has really helped calm me down and since I started toking up my anxiety has been gone. And I agree with what you said on meds, it really doesn't fix the problem it just relieves the symptoms. I believe ADHD and medication (in some cases) is complete bs, counseling and helping people cope and understand their problem is a better method imo.
    Yea I think so too. Meds only mask the problem and I felt like they made me too carefree. I think weed is less harmful for us then meds. But we gotta be careful with weed and alcohol, we're more prone to addiction. When i smoked too much my anxiety got alot worse. Your right on point about living a healthy lifestyle and working out. No energy drinks for us, we'd be better off drinkin a 40. Thanks for sharing that, i knew i wasnt the only one on here. It is a more common thing then alotta people think and is the reason why some people grab a chair and some rope. I was never suicidal, i always believed i could overcome it. I still got a little ways to go but Ive come a long ways since doing that program. Mine started at a young age too, i first felt the physical symptoms at the age of 12 but it was negative thought processes that i had already developed which led to those physical symptoms. I got jumped in 6th grade and was afraid Id be jumped again, that set it off but it was bound to be set off either way.

    Originally Posted by Starks
    thanks for sharing this. I think we all go through things at times and its always empowering to see public figures bout with them as well. When we deal with things like this its in the privacy of our lives. I can't imagine it helping White now that the entire world has him under a microscope.
    Yea it was mistake for him to go as public as hes gone with it when its still clearly a big obstacle for him. Hes getting paid, hes gotta just suck it up. I dont see myself reacting this way if i was in that situation at my worst points. My biggest problem would have been handling the media. At times i think the lack of privacy would really get to me if i was a popular player. That baseball pitcher Greinke had to take a year off because of his anxiety and i dont know a whole lot about him but he was considered one of the best pitchers in the game.

  7. #7
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    I once believed I had this anxiety disorder, I believe the fact that Dr.'s call it a disorder brainwashes people. Its more of a lack of good coping skills and dealing with stress. Your most likely to be like those u grow up around and if people around u are too negative and overreact to stress, thats how your gonna be. My pops has always been quick to get mad and my mom is always quick to worry. Some people start to feel physical symptoms, i have felt everyone of them at one point or another and got on and off of meds twice. The last time i was on meds was 09 but I realized that the meds for this sh*t f*ck people up even worse. So it wasnt too long before i got off the meds after my 2nd failed stint with them. Not too long ago i did the attacking anxiety and depression program by Lucinda Basset and it helped put things into the proper perspective for me. Anxiety and stress are something that everybody feels. Some people that have a positive inner dialogue talk themselves through situations and never/rarely feel the physical symptoms.

    Anxiety is deeply rooted in my family history, several members of my fam that are older then me and deceased are/were on xanax and other poisonous medicines for their whole lives. I'd rather suffer then be on meds. But like i said i havent been on any meds since the end of 2009. I continue to get better with time and Im very thankful that this isn't gonna be something that will be a problem for me for my whole life like several of my aunts and uncles, and even some of my grandparents. The type of knowledge they have out there is the wrong type, its the type that only makes this anxiety stuff worse for people. It brainwashes them. Theres probably at least a handfull of other members on here that have dealt with this stuff at some point. If u need any help u can hit me up anytime

    Anxiety can greatly effect the lives of some people, i have heard of people not even stepping outside of their homes. Royce White however is behaving very childishly. I guess I often did too. When he was a kid i bet his folks were way too easy on him. Parents of Knicksonline, do your seeds a favor: Dont let your kids get their way. Im not saying to be mean and beat them but when u say something to them, dont turn back on it. Make them be responsible and do chores. They'll thank u later in life for it. Houston should do absolutely nothing to accommodate this kid. Make him adapt to the team, not the team adapt to him. One more note, people with "anxiety disorder" also have above average intelligence.

    Physical Symptoms:

    Sweating
    Cold Sweats
    Dizzy/nautious
    heart racing
    feeling of not really being where you are
    shortness of breath
    Feeling of having to vomit

    Having these symptons can easily lead to depression, making the cycle more vicious.
    I wish I could rep you again for this post. Well written, clear, insightful and real.

    Thanks for sharing the gold my brother.

  8. #8
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    MSGKnicks raised some strong points on medications and parenting...I feel his word is bond, in the strongest way.

  9. #9
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Thanks Metro, green rep next time i can hit u up

    I should also add i didnt mean to make it sound like im complaining about or blaming my parents. I have to take responsibility for myself just like this White dude does. Houston needs to cut him, it'd be the best thing for him.

  10. #10
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Thanks Metro, green rep next time i can hit u up

    I should also add i didnt mean to make it sound like im complaining about or blaming my parents. I have to take responsibility for myself just like this White dude does. Houston needs to cut him, it'd be the best thing for him.
    Just a mix of critical thinking and analyzing the situation from a strong vision.
    It's all good.
    Our language is subject to interpretation...people may assume you're blaming your parents when that's not the case.

  11. #11
    Member zwickks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    111
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I feel for this guy.
    Ive suffered from anxiety and depression since I was a child.

    Sometimes I feel that subconsciously I sabotage things in my life to stay in my comfort zones and stop myself from advancing in life.

    White knows what he's doing and that it's sabotaging his career, but sometimes you can't get through a road block(leaving his family, flying etc). People don't understand the ways it affects you, which is why he's having problems with the Rockets.

    The Rockets are asking him to leave his psychologist of 3years for one the team has chosen. Doing such a thing isn't easy as he has a comfort level with his own and it would take a long time for a new psychologist that is forced upon him to make him feel comfortable and gain his trust.

    I feel his tweeting of these issues is just him letting the world know for him to play and be successful he needs the team to truly care about his well being instead of forcing things on him just to get him on the floor as soon as possible.

    But what needs to be stressed is everyone with anxiety or any mental conditions are effected differently and it impacts our lives on every level.

  12. #12
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    This is a real interesting read. I too suffered from anxiety a few times in my life. Had a period of a couple of years with a lot of family issues where I spent 99% of the time in my house. Luckily managed to snap myself out of it.

    The Royce White situation I believe is mostly to do with flying? He's very uncomfortable flying to away games and the team is being unsympathetic and not allowing him to travel to away games via bus. That's what I heard anyway.

    Sounds like a bit of a messed up situation, but is it the team being heartless or are they trying to give him some tough love? Who knows.

  13. #13
    Moderator
    CoolClyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    2,478
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    this is a good thread, powerful words from KingStarbury3, thanks for sharing.

    The Royce White situation is strange because the kid is a rookie who is evidently not ready for prime time. no rookie can expect to get major playing time unless you're a Dion Waiters, Damion Lillard type. the fact that he's also anxious about flying brings a large perspective to his mental health; he's not well. for the organization to fine him for missing games, not being with the team and for missing appts with psychiatrist is all they know how to do. who knows if they're giving him meds? IMHO, a BIG mistake. the corporate drugs, as have been pointed out by KS3 and AFP, do not address the base problems, only the symptoms.

    Smoking weed can help, as long as the mind does not wander into anxiety, because that can make things even worse. the kind bud must be treated with respect, and accompanied by positive thought, to produce positive results.

    Xanax and other mind-altering drugs are very bad and should only be administered in situations of life and death to prevent one going over the edge. too many doctors are paid off my drug companies to recommend certain drugs, with no clue to the root of the mental stress.

    I wish Royce White the best of luck getting his mind in gear, I hope he finds positive role models to keep his entire body in shape, from his brain to his game. i also wish all KO members positive thoughts, that is where all good things spring from.

  14. #14
    Veteran Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    1,472
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I've been following White on twitter. If Houston keeps him they should be awarded that good citizen trophy they give out each year. Dolan would have fired his ass after his first tweet. He hasn't been making the Rockets look good and I'm sure he's being truthful about everything.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: Oct 31, 2012, 22:19
  2. Euro Site: Knicks to sign James 'The Flight' White
    By Crazy⑧s in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jul 14, 2012, 05:17
  3. best playter is white of knick
    By Dirk in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Oct 26, 2008, 09:28
  4. Salary Cap situation MUST be Fixed
    By Blumatic in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Feb 21, 2008, 11:27
  5. Salary cap situation
    By nyk33334 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 18, 2005, 16:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •