Somehow we gotta fix the issue with offensive rebounds.

New New York

Quiet Storm
If we controlled the boards then we only have one loss this year (Rockets game was just one of those games where nothing or no one would have helped).

We have had so many great defensive sequences only not to grab the rebound. This is what made Larry Brown's Piston teams so tough, 24 seconds of tough D and then grabbing the rebound.

Woody and staff need to come up with an incentive for this like they have done with turnovers.

I have watched The Nets game (rooting against of course) and the only way they can beat us is by getting second chance points. I watched them play against Portland today and they struggled against them without Aldridge for much of the game but it was second chance points that allowed them to pull away...we are going to have to limit those tomorrow night and if we do we got this team by 13 or more, if not it will be a tighter game than it needs to be if not a loss!

JR Ronnie and Kidd have been doing very well grabbing rebounds for us, but we need it to be from our post players...namely Tyson!

Safe from the Rockets game our team defense has been as good the past couple of games as all season...it really is the offensive rebounds that are giving teams extra possessions and teams are knocking down 3's off of these boards

Dallas Loss: Dallas 11 offensive rebounds Knicks 5

Memphis Loss: Grizz 12 offensive boards Knicks 10

Even today we gave up 10 in a game we win by 21

My point is...this is where we are gonna take the next step. We don't need a trade to bring in a player to help with this, we got the personnel to do so but there needs to be an emphasis on this because if we control the boards we virtually unbeatable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
287811-marcus-camby.jpg

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Good thread. You're absolutely right, by the way, and things need to be ironed out. JR's been amazing for us on the glass, but Melo at the 4 has shown its toll for this team.

The whole Camby absence has me bamboozled.

Whatever the key is to adverting our most blaring weakness, it's got to happen against the Nets, for sure. I really don't wanna lose to this team. Melo is a huge mismatch for Humphries defensively, but Humphries will rip us apart on the boards. Reggie Evans will be a handful too.

One thing I do know is that Amar'e Stoudemire is only likely to make things worse upon his return.

CA7

Scoring Champ
We need to rotate Camby/Wallace/Chandler at the 4/5 and this will allow Carmelo to be added to the mix and attack the glass with 3 ferocious rebounders instead of 1 since Chandler and Carmelo seem to get boxed out at times

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
We need to rotate Camby/Wallace/Chandler at the 4/5 and this will allow Carmelo to be added to the mix and attack the glass with 3 ferocious rebounders instead of 1 since Chandler and Carmelo seem to get boxed out at times

That's basically it in a nutshell. Whilst Melo's a solid rebounder, he's better on the wing against a lot of opponents.

p0nder

Starter
I also think this is solved by Camby getting into game shape and STAT's return. But it is a concern moving forward and something to be monitored.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Chandlers been lazy on the boards so far this season.. actually Chandler just doesn't look like his normal self this season.

&

Camby does not get playtime

go figure

nyk_nyk

All Star
Chandlers been lazy on the boards so far this season.. actually Chandler just doesn't look like his normal self this season.

&

Camby does not get playtime

go figure

Bingo! Don't know what's up with him but TC has been a shell of himself for most of the season. He rarely jumps to block shots and isn't tracking the ball off the rim as well anymore. Camby, in his limited minutes so far has grabbed a good chunk of rebounds. Look at his stats. He'll play 4-5 minutes and grab 4 rebounds. Woodson's decision to keep DNPing him or not playing him at all is very annoying.

That crap about conditionaing is BS too. Wallace was able to play his way into better shape but Camby can't? Also, the ony thing Camby has done in his entire career is rebound and defend so i highly doubt he's forgotten how to do that after 15+ years in the league.

KingCharles34

All Star
I thought all last year that Chandler was very good for us but not as good as he was made out to be. I dont think he was the defensive player of the year. There were a handfull of centers that really frustrated him last year. Hes very good but not great...

I basically came here to post what Dzwon did, very well done bro

zshopa

Benchwarmer
I think the offensive rebounds are going to come.... eventually. from what we have seen so far, we play a lot of small ball against opponents, i see Melo and Novacaine out there as our 4 - 5 sometimes. Even though Melo has been a beast on the boards this year, we are giving up a lot of size for speed. Granted a lot of teams out there are also playing small ball, they probably have better rebounders than steve novak..... at the 4 or 5.

I think once Amarknee and Shump get back in the mix we will be a bit stronger with some follow up dunks and highlight plays too :)

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I think the offensive rebounds are going to come.... eventually. from what we have seen so far, we play a lot of small ball against opponents, i see Melo and Novacaine out there as our 4 - 5 sometimes. Even though Melo has been a beast on the boards this year, we are giving up a lot of size for speed. Granted a lot of teams out there are also playing small ball, they probably have better rebounders than steve novak..... at the 4 or 5.

I think once Amarknee and Shump get back in the mix we will be a bit stronger with some follow up dunks and highlight plays too :)

This goes back to bad coaching Woodsons gotta know when you play Novak you have to put him in with good rebounders move Melo to the 3 and put in either Camby, Sheed, or hope Chandlers playing hard. Your how can you possibly play Melo and Novaks as your frontcourt.

shump21

Rookie
Most of the time it seems like Tyson has cement shoes. He doesn't jump unless its for an alley-oop or some sort of dunk.

TruOrngnBlu

Benchwarmer
For sure agree with this. Seems like Tyson should be grabbibg atleast 2 more Off. boards a game and should be blocking over 1 shot per game. He currently blocks .6

If you listen to the way Tyson speaks about the J kidd injury his mind seems to be set for the long haul. Given that fact I'm not OVERLY worried about Tyson. No doubt post ALL star and headdin into the post season Ty will be beastin!!!!

A couple of other things in general:

Are we close to the bottom of the leauge in blocks and reb? If not seems like it.

When was the last time anyone on this team got a dunk besides Chandler on the pick and roll. Seems like Jr was getting an alley oop every other game. Not enough easy buckets at the rim this year.

Are we dead last in drawing offensive fouls? I havent seen a charge called on us all season. Not even an attempt to draw one. Might not be part of the gameplan given the zones Woddy likes to set up but I guess without Jared or Shump that part of the game being missing stands out.

If we can add these pretty simple things to what we do I don't see how anyone can stop us.
Can't wait for Stat, Shump, and Camby to be all up to speed and in game shape. Shidda be sweet as hell!!! :gony: