Lakers-Knicks Discussing Pau/Amare Swap?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The Los Angeles Lakers are not actively seeking a trade of Pau Gasol, according to a report from the Los Angeles Times.

Gasol trade chatter had increased in recent days in the media, coinciding with his struggles on the floor and significant contract that runs through the 13-14 NBA season.

Gasol has played in four different offensive systems over the past three seasons and clearly prefers the Triangle.

"It put me in a natural position, which was post. I could score and I could pass," he said. "It was a perfect fit for me when I got here and Andrew (Bynum) was out. I had a lot of minutes and it was a need to cover.

"Now it's a different personnel, different need, different look, different system, different positioning. As a professional, you adjust to a different position in your company and try to do your best so the company still finds you a valuable asset and the company still performs as well as it did before."

Gasol has been slow to adapt to Mike D'Antoni's system.

"We're all trying to get adjusted to the faster pace and running harder to our spots so the spacing's better, the flow is better," Gasol said.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/224670/Lakers_Arent_Seeking_Trade_Of_Pau_Gasol

Last edited:

Rob Low

Rotation player
Hawks are also in the trade discussions according to some rumors. I doubt it's true though cause we actually got the best out the deal. I think the rumour was

NYK
Josh Smith
Kyle Korver
Johan Petro

Lakers
Amare
Teague

Hawks
Gasol
Chris Duhon
Knicks future 1st round pick

Atlanta would get raped in that deal if true

NewYorkInferno

Benchwarmer
Hawks are also in the trade discussions according to some rumors. I doubt it's true though cause we actually got the best out the deal. I think the rumour was

NYK
Josh Smith
Kyle Korver
Johan Petro

Lakers
Amare
Teague

Hawks
Gasol
Chris Duhon
Knicks future 1st round pick

Atlanta would get raped in that deal if true
Josh SMITH? OMG I would love if he came to the Knicks. This would be FANTASTIC! JSmoove? He is a 26 year old defensive first good player. Having a rough year but he has great potential. OMG do it. I would litteraly piss myself if we got Josh Fing Smith for Amare and a 1st!

Rob Low

Rotation player
If we can get Smith that's great but i'd rather have Gasol to be honest. As talented as Smith is he's an idiot

We can dream all we want but Amar'e aint goin nowhere. why would the lakers even want Amare? Because of MDA and Nash? They already have dwight for the pick n roll.

finestrg

Rotation player
Update on STAT and team rebounding

WTF is up with Amar'e, man?? Dude's a star player on this team, still a big part of what we're trying to accomplish here, and I swear, he maintains the quietest profile I've ever seen out of a player of his caliber out rehabbing an injury. Anyone know exactly what the hell's going on with this guy? It feels like when the Knicks exiled Marbury for Christ's sake...How is his rehab going? Is he still on schedule for that 6-week return or was that pushed back? Is the knee worse than the Knicks first thought? Why isn't he on the bench with the team? Seeing him at the game the other night in civvies with the winter hat on in the tunnel somewhere was bizarre to say the least. I mean, if he's physically able to make it to the arena, why isn't he on the bench with the team? Weird..I don't get it..Why no interviews, updates and no coverage concerning his progress from the media? Imagine if this was Derek Jeter? We'd be getting multiple updates on a daily basis, both on TV and in the papers...This whole situation with STAT's very strange..

------------------------------------

Anyway, Amar'e or no Amar'e, I think we need to keep an eye on this lack of rebounding problem. ****, I want the problem addressed ASAP..Getting out-rebounded almost every game so far. I've been saying it since the off-season -- if Kurt Thomas isn't up for steady mins anymore (and I don't think he is -- started against the Nets and left the game shortly never to return from what I remember, not looking effective at all---if he was & showed signs, he would be played a lot more, simple as that---out of the 3 old bigs, Sheed's the only one showing he's up for steady mins), he should be cut/bought out and we should look to import a PF/rebounding upgrade on the cheap somewhere. Something better, more viable and capable of having more of an impact than KT..Look, would I like to make a trade for Anderson Varejao and pencil him in alongside Chandler and Melo on that starting frontline? You bet, but that ain't happening. Neither team can match up salaries & players for a deal like that...So where else can we go for additional rebounding? Two players I'd look at if I'm the Knicks:

(1) Kevin Jones - 6'8" 250 lb. PF, very good rebounder at West Virginia and he can score. Capable in the post, he can even step out and knock down jumpers all the way out to the 3-pt line..Two very solid games in the D-League so far. 20 & 10 guy in the Big East his senior yr at WV. Very long and strong.

(2) Drew Gordon - 6'9" 240 lb. PF, started off his career at UCLA then transferred over to New Mexico where he became an excellent double-digit rebounder for the Lobos his junior & senior seasons. Long, good athlete -- probably a better athlete than Jones but not as polished offensively. I think he's over in Europe playing somewhere, maybe Serbia. Shouldn't be a problem to buy this guy out of his Euro. contract and bring him stateside.

I'd take either guy over Kurt Thomas...I think bringing in a little more viable youth up front would go a long way. STAT, even when he does make it back, isn't a great rebounder..Neither is Chandler for that matter (dude was very good the other night overall but he had only 3 defensive rebs in over 40 mins. THREE!).. KT looks like he's done. So does Camby, we just recklessly threw way too much money at Camby to just discard him (even Camby was surprised at the contract he got). Thomas, on the other hand, with his low salary is easily expendable. Thank God Sheed still has something left, only problem with Sheed -- I'd be a little leery of playing him big mins. We're gonna need Sheed -- don't wanna burn him out early. I think grabbing a young, cheap big that can come in and bang, rebound the ball, take a pounding and give it right back & compete on the interior with the Kris Humphries', Reggie Evans' and Anderson Varejaos of this league (the jury's still out on Camby--we'll have to see if he can round back into form--he was still very productive last year--but KT can't compete with these types of guys anymore) would be just what the doctor ordered right now. Just my 2 cents..

Last edited:

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Pau can never be "done" offensively, his awareness, passing, and pick and roll play makes him more valuable than Amare. The ball dies with Amare, Pau actually moves the ball and finds open guys...offensive generator. Excellent addition to the Knicks.

Ive watched every single Laker game so far this season including pre season Gasol is finished every check out how most Laker fans feel about Pau everyone wants him gone there's something wrong with him mentally. Even with all the positives you said about him he's hurt the Lakers way more than he's helping when he's on the floor **** me personally I want him out of LA ASAP.

smokes

Huge Member
Maybe he's not playing well right now in LA but who can blame him? He's been attempted to be shopped at every opportunity and even Mike D'Antoni subtly hinted that if players are not fitting with the system you aim to move them...

I think Pau would fit the Knicks way better than Amare. The times we've had Melo and Amare together they never really made it work. Amare in recent memory has mostly just looked awkward on the court. It also bothers me that there has been no sign of him I've often wondered why he isn't on the Knicks bench when Iman is there every game.

Pau is used to being second fiddle to Kobe and he fit the role perfectly in years past. His midrange is way more reliable than Amare which spaces the floor more, and he is a good compliment to Tyson down low.

A lot of people have commented on Tyson not being aggressive on defense it should be obvious why, when we play these small lineups Tyson is risking foul trouble every night. Once we have another big playing consistent minutes alongside Tyson he will be able to play with less restraint on D. He averages 1.3 blocks on his career he can easily do 1.5, currently he's on 0.7 due to having to avoid fouls.

I like the Amare for Pau trade. No way I send Novak in that deal though, Novak on LA is deadly and also people here are just way too reactionary wanting Novak and Feltons heads 1 month into the season, and Felton has had one bad game :lol:

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Pau might benefit from a change of scenery but there's still a big possibility he won't and if he plays the way he's playing LA in NY you guys will want his head. Trust me the guy looks pitiful out there I feel bad for him.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Ive watched every single Laker game so far this season including pre season Gasol is finished every check out how most Laker fans feel about Pau everyone wants him gone there's something wrong with him mentally. Even with all the positives you said about him he's hurt the Lakers way more than he's helping when he's on the floor **** me personally I want him out of LA ASAP.
Believe me or not I wouldn't give a damn playing for a team that's been trying to ship me away for the second straight season.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Amar'e is a very talented offensive player who can absolutely dominate with other teams, just not this Knicks team. The moment Kobe and Pau played on the same team they clicked. Finals appearance in their first season together. Boston with KG, Allen, and Pierce won the chip in their first season together. Even the big 3 in Miami reached the finals in their first season together. Now I'm not saying that the Melo and Amar'e duo is at the level of the teams I listed above, what I'm saying is that it should be evident if two superstar talents mesh well together early on. Melo and STAT just doesn't seem to click on the court at all, and most importantly, the team looks better when one of them is alone as the go to guy. I hope this rumored trade goes through, by some miracle. Pau would be perfect in this system..

CA7

Scoring Champ
The fact that the Lakers said they're not looking to move Gasol shows they are but dont want him to start playing bad and ruining their leverage

Red

TYPE-A
Shouldn't we WAIT and see how Amare performs under Woody first?

The trade deadline is extended and is months away, there is no rush.

Just like you shouldn't go grocery shopping on an empty stomach, you should refrain from making trade decisions after losing 3 of 4. Its just reactionary.

Pau looks like the savior, Amare gets no props.

Just like with Mike d'antoni who was given years and players and everything to his liking including time, Woody (with a healthy Stat) deserves the same, and he should be the one making this decision.

So STFU and wait to see what coach can do. Sheesh!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Just like you shouldn't go grocery shopping on an empty stomach, you should refrain from making trade decisions after losing 3 of 4. Its just reactionary.

Just like with Mike d'antoni who was given years and players and everything to his liking including time, Woody (with a healthy Stat) deserves the same, and he should be the one making this decision.

Good points, Red. Nice.

We can say wait and see, but we can also say what our expectations are given what it is we know about Amar'e. Add to that his apparent inability to remain from being injured, and that's 2 things you've not added to your pro-Amar'e post.

Skepticism can't go without being entertained, right?

metrocard

Legend

Premature since it's only been a few games, but please send him to us.

Lakers problems go beyond Gasol, but whatever scapegoating you guys want to do it's okay with me.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
We've all been talking about "loyalty" since the Knicks - Nets rivalry emerged. Why then not show some loyalty towards our Knickerbockers? Amare's been proudly wearing O&B for a couple of years now and while he's also considered a hired gun he's definately that type of a Knich who's preaching the "once a Knick, always a Knick" rule. Gasol is a solid player and while I have to admit Amare's been injury prone as of late and he's coming off an awful season I still wouldn't trade STAT for him.

Many of you probably remember me complaining about the melodrama. I simply hate the Knicks FO for trading guys who gave this team their heart, who are commited to represent the O&B. I wouldn't stand trading Amare, even with his overpaid and uninsured contract. He's part of the future of this organization. No respectable player would ever join the franchise known for trading their key players because of an injury or a worse season. You don't pay a guy $100M within make him your short term franchise player to trade him because you can't figure out how to mix him with your co-star.

Amare's not going anywhere, at least I hope so.

metrocard

Legend

We have no time to experiment anymore.

This is really our timeline to win the championship. We have an old team and improving next year depends on Iman Shumpert's development as a player.

Waiting on Amare when we're trying to win a championship we hinder our progress. Amare is injury prone and fragile, and when he's on the court; he plays the same way, made out of glass...doesn't bang the boards, sets hard screen, plays interior defense, settles for jumpshots.

He's a waste of money and space right now, you're being too hopeful and senseless to think other wise.

The sooner we get rid of Amare, the more positive value we add to this team.

It's sad situation, Amare was our big free agent signing, our first guy...played like a MVP type player. Now he's fallen from grace and I'm in a hurry to drop him because we need to win it all now. All the losing has accounted for too much. A championship will heal the wounds.

I just can't see Amar'e Stoudimire on a championship team, can you? Seems like Amare doesnt want to play physical anymore and avoid injury. I understand that, injuries suck and being out of a sport you do for a living is very painful as hell.

Hey I made that photo that is your avatar! Happy to see people are using it :) #Zordson

Red

TYPE-A
We have no time to experiment anymore.

This is really our timeline to win the championship. We have an old team and improving next year depends on Iman Shumpert's development as a player.

Waiting on Amare when we're trying to win a championship we hinder our progress. Amare is injury prone and fragile, and when he's on the court; he plays the same way, made out of glass...doesn't bang the boards, sets hard screen, plays interior defense, settles for jumpshots.

He's a waste of money and space right now, you're being too hopeful and senseless to think other wise.

The sooner we get rid of Amare, the more positive value we add to this team.

It's sad situation, Amare was our big free agent signing, our first guy...played like a MVP type player. Now he's fallen from grace and I'm in a hurry to drop him because we need to win it all now. All the losing has accounted for too much. A championship will heal the wounds.

I just can't see Amar'e Stoudimire on a championship team, can you? Seems like Amare doesnt want to play physical anymore and avoid injury. I understand that, injuries suck and being out of a sport you do for a living is very painful as hell.

I'm going to have to disagree with a few points.

1. You can't say waiting on Amare will hinder our progress without considering the possible set back of adding someone new like Pau to the fold. And at the least STAT has a familiarity with this team and players, whereas Pau doesn't.

2. Hard to consider STAT injury prone when he banged almost a whole season against bigger centers without any set backs. His 2 major injuries untimely as they were, were anomolies. He f*cked up his back dunking during pre-game, and punched an extiguisher. Mind you he was dominate in the 1st game vs BOS and playing Garnett.

3. Can't say we "don't see anyone winning a chip" with Amare as valid reasoning. MIA won with Joel Anthony for Christ sake.

4. Stat is younger than Pau.

The bottom line is we haven't seen nearly enough with Woodson as coach to make a valid decision on STAT yet. We have time considering the trade deadline. Perhaps he canges his approach, perhaps he comes off the bench. But from what I've seen, win or not we lack size and inside presence along with another reliable scorer next to Melo. JR has tried to be this 1A to Melos 1 and he is clearly bes suited for 6th man duties.

So tell me, who do we have better than STAT on his game at the 4?

And tell me what other teams in the East have a better PF than STAT when on his game?

Hey I made that photo that is your avatar! Happy to see people are using it :) #Zordson

Wow how ironic. Why don't you sport it?

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer

This is the most reasonable post in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk