Lakers-Knicks Discussing Pau/Amare Swap?

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Shouldn't we WAIT and see how Amare performs under Woody first?

The trade deadline is extended and is months away, there is no rush.

Just like you shouldn't go grocery shopping on an empty stomach, you should refrain from making trade decisions after losing 3 of 4. Its just reactionary.

Pau looks like the savior, Amare gets no props.

Just like with Mike d'antoni who was given years and players and everything to his liking including time, Woody (with a healthy Stat) deserves the same, and he should be the one making this decision.

So STFU and wait to see what coach can do. Sheesh!
If you find a team willing to take on Amare's contract, you make that trade and run like hell... especially if it's a trade that helps us improve as a Team.

smokes

Huge Member
Shouldn't we WAIT and see how Amare performs under Woody first?

The trade deadline is extended and is months away, there is no rush.

Just like you shouldn't go grocery shopping on an empty stomach, you should refrain from making trade decisions after losing 3 of 4. Its just reactionary.

Pau looks like the savior, Amare gets no props.

Just like with Mike d'antoni who was given years and players and everything to his liking including time, Woody (with a healthy Stat) deserves the same, and he should be the one making this decision.

So STFU and wait to see what coach can do. Sheesh!

Do you want to WAIT until he goes down with a career ender? I'd rather just see the back of him now, chalk this one up as a loss and move on.

I'm going to have to disagree with a few points.

1. You can't say waiting on Amare will hinder our progress without considering the possible set back of adding someone new like Pau to the fold. And at the least STAT has a familiarity with this team and players, whereas Pau doesn't.

2. Hard to consider STAT injury prone when he banged almost a whole season against bigger centers without any set backs. His 2 major injuries untimely as they were, were anomolies. He f*cked up his back dunking during pre-game, and punched an extiguisher. Mind you he was dominate in the 1st game vs BOS and playing Garnett.

3. Can't say we "don't see anyone winning a chip" with Amare as valid reasoning. MIA won with Joel Anthony for Christ sake.

4. Stat is younger than Pau.

The bottom line is we haven't seen nearly enough with Woodson as coach to make a valid decision on STAT yet. We have time considering the trade deadline. Perhaps he canges his approach, perhaps he comes off the bench. But from what I've seen, win or not we lack size and inside presence along with another reliable scorer next to Melo. JR has tried to be this 1A to Melos 1 and he is clearly bes suited for 6th man duties.

So tell me, who do we have better than STAT on his game at the 4?

And tell me what other teams in the East have a better PF than STAT when on his game?

Wow how ironic. Why don't you sport it?

I used to for my twitter but it ran its course.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
We've all been talking about "loyalty" since the Knicks - Nets rivalry emerged. Why then not show some loyalty towards our Knickerbockers? Amare's been proudly wearing O&B for a couple of years now and while he's also considered a hired gun he's definately that type of a Knich who's preaching the "once a Knick, always a Knick" rule. Gasol is a solid player and while I have to admit Amare's been injury prone as of late and he's coming off an awful season I still wouldn't trade STAT for him.

Many of you probably remember me complaining about the melodrama. I simply hate the Knicks FO for trading guys who gave this team their heart, who are commited to represent the O&B. I wouldn't stand trading Amare, even with his overpaid and uninsured contract. He's part of the future of this organization. No respectable player would ever join the franchise known for trading their key players because of an injury or a worse season. You don't pay a guy $100M within make him your short term franchise player to trade him because you can't figure out how to mix him with your co-star.

Amare's not going anywhere, at least I hope so.

Thankyou bro. +1 Cant wait for Stat to get back

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Amare injured > Gasol you guys are buggin

Gasol in playoffs >>>> Injured Amare who misses playoff games

i think Amare has played a total of 4 games in the playoffs since he's been a knick :boohoo:

Gasols contract >>>> Amares Contract

Gasols Knees >>>> Amares Knees

Gasols IQ >>>> Amares IQ

Gasols passing >>>> Amares Passing

Gasols rebounding >>>> Amares Rebounding

Gasols defense >>>> Amares defense (even though they both suck at defense)

Gasol, Chandler, Melo >>> Amare, Chandler, Melo

Whatever is left of Gasol >>>>> whatever is left of Amare

smokes

Huge Member
Honestly I don't even know how this is a debate. I preached backing and keeping STAT til I was blue in the face last year, because last year there was absolutely no hope of trading him.

Right now this is a legit opportunity to cut bait with the worst contract in the NBA.

Gasol's contract is better than STAT's.

Gasol's jumpshot is better than STAT's.

Gasol is a better defender than STAT.

Gasol is a better post player than STAT.

Gasol is a much better passer than STAT.

Gasol is a better rebounder than STAT.

Gasol understands playing alongside a superstar and how to defer, STAT doesn't.

Gasol fits our system perfectly. Gasol would vastly improve the spacing for Melo to work closer to the basket. Can you say STAT will do that, after seeing him shoot from 12 ft+ last year?

Gasol is one of the best passing bigs in the league, perfect for setting up Melo away from the basket or Tyson for an alley oop.

Gasol knows how to set screens, body up and rebound. He may not be more than an average defender for his size but he's not horribly incompetent.

Gasol is playing through his manageable injury, STAT is a ticking time bomb.

This trade works for both teams. It's a risky trade for both teams (more so for LA). It could legitimately make both teams better.

Gasol needs a change of scenery, the Lakers have been trying to trade him for two years+ now, it's completely unsurprising that his heart isn't in it anymore. Even still, he's gritting it out through Knee Tendinitis.

#FreeGasol

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Oh man you guys are gassin the life out of Gasol. Has anyone been watching the Lakers recently? I have and I watched Gasol score 2 points last night. Better post player? So you rather guard Amare? LOL

When Melo and Stoudemire touched the court this year together it wasnt bad at all. I think they scored like 13 of the first 20 points. 2 all stars on the floor causes fits for the defense! Stat had some highlight dunks that game too right after the bone bruise.

You guys hurt my feelings man. STAT made us relevant.
"Knicks are back" remember??
Dont lose hope just be patient. By this time next month he will be back beasting giving us our REAL second scoring option.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Premature since it's only been a few games, but please send him to us.

Lakers problems go beyond Gasol, but whatever scapegoating you guys want to do it's okay with me.

It's not premature, Pau has been terrible since Phil's last year you guys don't watch the Lakers enough to realize that he is not the same player from the Lakers last two titles. And I know our bench is trash in LA but Pau is also a huge reason I'm telling you guy's he is killing LA when he's on the floor not giving us anything on offense and his defense is sooo bad now. I want him out of LA badly but for somebody like Josh Smith since Amare is too injury prone.

Another thing you guys are overrating that Gasol's playing bad because of trade rumors because going into this season there was no trade rumors the Lakers got Dwight without giving up Gasol he should have felt safe and secure. Not to mention in Phils last year when Gasol started disappearing there wasn't trade rumors about him it was all rumors about Bynum. So that excuse is wrong as well Pau Gasol may do better on another team idk but I aslo don't know if another team wants to take that risk with how terrible he's been playing for the past 2 seasons and some change.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Oh man you guys are gassin the life out of Gasol. Has anyone been watching the Lakers recently? I have and I watched Gasol score 2 points last night. Better post player? So you rather guard Amare? LOL

When Melo and Stoudemire touched the court this year together it wasnt bad at all. I think they scored like 13 of the first 20 points. 2 all stars on the floor causes fits for the defense! Stat had some highlight dunks that game too right after the bone bruise.

You guys hurt my feelings man. STAT made us relevant.
"Knicks are back" remember??
Dont lose hope just be patient. By this time next month he will be back beasting giving us our REAL second scoring option.

i'm well aware Pau is on the decline, but even so i'd still take him over Amare. It's more to it than "Amare sucks i want him gone" you have to put into perspective that his contract is awful, he's always injured, and our front court just does not mesh fluidly.

How many games have Amare & Carmelo had together where the offense looked smooth while they were on the court together

Now how many games have they had where they looked like they don't mesh together at all?

I wouldn't mind keeping Amare if he was willing to come off the bench.

Kidd
Jr
Novak
Stat
Wallace

Amare would flourish with this unit due to the incredible amount of floor spacing, you could even play him at the 5 where he is even more dominant offensively as we've seen in the past

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Wow! There are a lot of Pau fans here.

Seriously, Pau is soft as baby sh*t.

F*cking baby **** after eating melted ice cream!

Have we forgot what a healthy Stat is capable of? You do realize that hurt he still put up decent numbers.

And to make the case even more...

Please recall Stats performance AFTER he came back and playedwith a bandaged hand.... f*cking ONE HANDED!

It's simple, wait until we see a healthy Stat when he's assimilated to our new team and under coaches influence. If he fails and that's a big if, then we'll try and swing a deal if it benefits. But to act like he is no longer an asset is insulting to true Knick fans.

Pau is easily the better fit. Amare gets much respect but Gasol is better at everything except finishing which is still close.

Pau i feel is just tired of LA and the drama he has been through, the guy was the true Finals MVP in 2010 and he is one of the last few back to basket threats left. He is unselfish and he will allow Melo to be Melo.

Gasol 3 years ago was considered the best PF and since then he seems worn down by LA and the constant what ifs about his future.

Gasol is better but i really want to see STAT come back on a mission and i know he will go hard. STAT is a great dude and maybe the player i respect most as a man but the fact remains is that he fits poorly with Melo.

Hopefully Amare will have 70/30 PNR to Iso ratio to allow Melo to get the same amount of shots up because when both of them iso all game it makes our offense suck.

smokes

Huge Member

Have we forgot what a healthy Stat is capable of? You do realize that hurt he still put up decent numbers.

Please recall Stats performance AFTER he came back and playedwith a bandaged hand.... f*cking ONE HANDED!

It's simple, wait until we see a healthy Stat when he's assimilated to our new team and under coaches influence. If he fails and that's a big if, then we'll try and swing a deal if it benefits. But to act like he is no longer an asset is insulting to true Knick fans.

It's not about Amare not being an asset... You don't get Pau Gasol for nothing.

If Amare goes down hard/for good in the next 2 years we're pretty much done. If we get Pau, it could work out great, or it could suck and we have a $20m expiring to trade next year. There isn't a horrible downside to having Pau under contract for the next 1 and a half seasons.

I like STAT but this trade is a no brainer.

Red

TYPE-A
Amar'e Stoudemire would accept a role as the New York Knicks' sixth man if asked of him, two sources with knowledge of Stoudemire's thinking told ESPNNewYork.com.

"All he cares about right now is helping the team and winning," one source, who has been around Stoudemire regularly in recent weeks, said. "He'd be fine with coming off the bench if that's what they want."

Ok so if STAT is off the bench does that make a difference?

I'll say this.

We lack interior defense short of TC (although Sheed has altered a few shots)

We lack size and scoring out the post

We lack depth behind TC if you want to consider Sheed a 4 and Camby (Gumby... got that from Clyde... funny as hell) is limited

Now I ask...

Is Pau that dude? Really? Even if we say that Pau's D is about even with STAT who I had issues with defensively

STATS offense, drawing foul capabilities, and heart ARE BETTER IMO.

In sports, NEVER doubt heart. STAT has heart, Pau doesn't. So we can say oh Pau can score from here and there, but so can STAT.

We can say Pau can fill in at the 5 for TC, so can STAT.

We can also say, Pau is soft and has no heart. He's not going to intimidate nor rile up the troops. We can't say that about STAT!

We can say that STAT is a LEADER. Pau is NOT!

If you discount heart & leadership as if they grow on trees, I would think that you probably suck at sports and are not one yourself.

I see it and I know we need it. Not a soft Pau to help us get rid of a contract. We don't need to get rid of a contract. If STAT is finished then yeah, but I for one look forward to seeing my COMPLETE TEAM first.

Forrest17

Rotation player
I think the whole "stat needs to be a 6th man" thing is ridiculous. Why?... Sure we are playing Carmelo at PF and he is playing well... But since when can carmelo NOT play small forward just as well?..

He played small forward against one of the better defensive small forwards in the league last week and dropped 40. So honestly it doesn't matter where carmelo plays hes gonna score.

When we play small, how many points are we getting from Brewer?... When we play big, how many points do we get from Rasheed or Thomas? How many rebounds and blocked shots also?

At stats VERY worst, he puts up 17 pts, 8 rbs and 2 blocked shots.

People will point at defense, and well if Amar'e can focus on blocking shots and rebounding, well be fine.. because playing small also effects or defense we are giving up way too many jumpers because we keep playing point guards at the 2 and shooting guards at the 3. Then you add all the second chance points we give up because we don't friggin rebound the ball.. it adds up.

Saying they didn't work and didn't play together well last year doesn't make any sense because when they did we had D'Antoni as a coach and no point guard so obviously we aren't going to be a good team.

Last year with woodson when they both played post Lin we went 3-1.. And looked pretty good. So there is no reason to think we need to make a trade that will completely alter the teams identity when we are fine as it is or demand that our highest paid player who is the reason we are even excited about watching this team in the first place right now has to come off the bench when he hasn't even played a game yet.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I think the whole "stat needs to be a 6th man" thing is ridiculous. Why?... Sure we are playing Carmelo at PF and he is playing well... But since when can carmelo NOT play small forward just as well?..

He played small forward against one of the better defensive small forwards in the league last week and dropped 40. So honestly it doesn't matter where carmelo plays hes gonna score.

When we play small, how many points are we getting from Brewer?... When we play big, how many points do we get from Rasheed or Thomas? How many rebounds and blocked shots also?

At stats VERY worst, he puts up 17 pts, 8 rbs and 2 blocked shots.

People will point at defense, and well if Amar'e can focus on blocking shots and rebounding, well be fine.. because playing small also effects or defense we are giving up way too many jumpers because we keep playing point guards at the 2 and shooting guards at the 3. Then you add all the second chance points we give up because we don't friggin rebound the ball.. it adds up.

Saying they didn't work and didn't play together well last year doesn't make any sense because when they did we had D'Antoni as a coach and no point guard so obviously we aren't going to be a good team.

Last year with woodson when they both played post Lin we went 3-1.. And looked pretty good. So there is no reason to think we need to make a trade that will completely alter the teams identity when we are fine as it is or demand that our highest paid player who is the reason we are even excited about watching this team in the first place right now has to come off the bench when he hasn't even played a game yet.

All good points not to mention from an interior defensive standpoint and for Melo's own energy level I don't think it's best that he plays the 4 exclusively in spurts yea but not for the whole game.

metrocard

Legend

You know who's softer than Gasol though?

Amare.

metrocard

Legend
It's not premature, Pau has been terrible since Phil's last year you guys don't watch the Lakers enough to realize that he is not the same player from the Lakers last two titles. And I know our bench is trash in LA but Pau is also a huge reason I'm telling you guy's he is killing LA when he's on the floor not giving us anything on offense and his defense is sooo bad now. I want him out of LA badly but for somebody like Josh Smith since Amare is too injury prone.

Another thing you guys are overrating that Gasol's playing bad because of trade rumors because going into this season there was no trade rumors the Lakers got Dwight without giving up Gasol he should have felt safe and secure. Not to mention in Phils last year when Gasol started disappearing there wasn't trade rumors about him it was all rumors about Bynum. So that excuse is wrong as well Pau Gasol may do better on another team idk but I aslo don't know if another team wants to take that risk with how terrible he's been playing for the past 2 seasons and some change.

Gasol got the Lakers a title, without Gasol, Kobe would of been struggling just like he was in the post-Shaq era.

Gasol is the 2nd best passer on the Lakers, even if he plays "bad", he's still finding open guys and his presence alone makes the game easier for the Lakers. a 7"1 PF/C who can shoot, pass, and rebound with a skilled post game. Even if you may label it a "bad season"(all perspective), Gasol is still good and a change of scenery would be great.

Melo would fit in SO much better with Gasol, I drool thinking about the possibilities on offense, so many give and gos, cutting to the basket and Melo is delivered the ball from the high IQ Pau. Amar'e cannot do these things, never have, never will. The ball stops and die with Amar'e.

That's why Memphis is sucessful, Marc is a great passer, probably the best passing center we've had since Vlade Divac and a D'Antoni version of Boris Diaw back in 06-07. A guy like Zach Randolph, we known him to be a black hole. But his game becomes effective when you have a center with court awareness and ability to time passes and pass it accurate. high assist/low turnover guys. Gasol would make the game easier for Chandler and Melo, and would be the perfect piece to the front court.

I've said this a million times, right before the Melo trade...during the rumors and speculations....Amar'e style clashes with Melo, and Amar'e can only play center next to a Shawn Marion type PF, a guy who crashes the boards and scraps for the ball, does the dirty work. Chandler fills up the paint and creates traffic already, so the space is clutter. This leaves Amar'e to settle for jump-shots, where he shoots 30-35% at.

Why should the Knicks settle that? It's not efficient play, it's a waste of money and a bad idea. Any logical fan would see this. The only fan I can say that would back up Amar'e is the type of fan who pumps their chest and has blind pride over topics, will defend what they feel to the death without considering what's best for the team.

Amar'e has to go, I like him; he was probably of the most exciting players to watch this decade at his prime, 00 version of Shawn Kemp. Melo is our primary scorer, and being a secondary scorer is something Amar'e has NEVER excelled at. Amar'e spent his entire career leading the offense, not playing Robin.

It's just not gonna work out for the Knicks and Amar'e, I hate to say.