Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lakers-Knicks Discussing Pau/Amare Swap?

If it were STAT and Novak, I'd do it. Not a reactionary comment in regard to Novak, BTW, I just think that he's not likely to fit the mould with Woodson.

● Are the Lakers legit about this though?

Where do Amar'e, D12 and Kobe find a cognitive niché?

Surely Gasol returning to form (as well as being insured) is better than trying to fit in Amar'e considering Gasol's experience in LA and his diversity. If people have an issue with his defence, then they're not likely to enjoy the services of STAT.

I just can't see LA replacing what's considered a bad contract with a worse one that's uninsured. They'd be that much better off with 1 or multiple unwanted expiring contracts and focusing on the trio of Howard, Bryant and Nash, and from there adding what they can to their window of opportunity.

I give this a 1 in 100 chance of even being a remote possibility. The Lakers aren't that stupid, and we're not that lucky.

If the Knicks trade Shump to LA, they can take Grunwald with him......

However, I would welcome Gasol for Amare. Better post presence, better rebounder. I think he would be a perfect fit.

Lakers can't afford Kobe, Amare, Nash and Howard's max contract he will be receiving.

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Lakers can't afford Kobe, Amare, Nash and Howard's max contract he will be receiving.
    yes they can

Gasol/MWP/Meeks for Stoudemire/Novak/Copeland/2nd Rounder

Gasol- His IQ meshed well with Carmelo and Chandler. Similar to how Marc Gasol has evolved and made the dynamics between Randolph/Gay non existent Pau will do that for us. He's a true #2 option and will give 19 and 9 with ease. If you watched him in the Olympics you'll see how great he is. I think being the 3rd or 4th fiddle in LA hurts him because he needs to be involved to thrive and will be just that for us.

MWP- More toughnes but better yet another perimeter defender and strong rebounder for our potential small ball lineup. Sheed/MWP/Camby/Kurt you think these guys are gonna let the Heat walk over them, I dont think so. Ron can also hit the corner 3 and I think playing in New York, his hometown, would bring out more in him

Meeks- I think Meeks who is no where near the shooter Novak is would be a better fit because he's more athletic and would work better off of screens since Novak is so slow footed. I dont want to trade Novak but if it means getting Gasol then so be it

Potential Rotation

C- Tyson Chandler
    F- Pau Gasol
    F- Carmelo Anthony
    G- Ronnie Brewer
    G- Raymond Felton

Key Reserves

G- Jason Kidd
    G- JR Smith
    G- Jodie Meeks
    G- Iman Shumpert
    F- Rasheed Wallace
    F- Metta World Peace
    C- Marcus Camby

IR
    G- Pablo Prigioni
    F-James White
    F- Kurt Thomas

As long as Shump isnt included, I would support this kind of trade..
    Including Novak would be hard to take though.

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    If it were STAT and Novak, I'd do it. Not a reactionary comment in regard to Novak, BTW, I just think that he's not likely to fit the mould with Woodson.

● Are the Lakers legit about this though?

Where do Amar'e, D12 and Kobe find a cognitive niché?

Surely Gasol returning to form (as well as being insured) is better than trying to fit in Amar'e considering Gasol's experience in LA and his diversity. If people have an issue with his defence, then they're not likely to enjoy the services of STAT.

I just can't see LA replacing what's considered a bad contract with a worse one that's uninsured. They'd be that much better off with 1 or multiple unwanted expiring contracts and focusing on the trio of Howard, Bryant and Nash, and from there adding what they can to their window of opportunity.

I give this a 1 in 100 chance of even being a remote possibility. The Lakers aren't that stupid, and we're not that lucky.
    Agreed. There's very little chance that they will trade Pau for Amar'e straight up. Any possible Pau for Amar'e trade begins and ends with Shumpert, who they may want to backup Kobe and groom to pick up the slack at SG when Kobe starts to fade and retire. Shump would do well alongside Nash who isn't a very good defensive guard. The Lakers don't want frequently injured Amar'e's huge uninsured contract unless they get to screw the Knicks in the deal. Just look at the way the trades they got with Nash and Dwight. Amar'e is a longer, uninsured, and worse contract than Pau. Being in win-now mode with the short Kobe/Nash twilight window, they don't want draft picks either. Frequently injured Amar'e with his medical history (eye, back, knee damage) would pretty much wipe out the Lakers' window since he can't seem to stay healthy.

Not gonna happen. It's just not. I;m not in favor of it and it's not going to happen.

Amar'es contract is just too nasty to be traded to any team, especially the lakers. Pau is not better then Amar'e and provides nothing of value to our front court that Amar'e won't give us and then some. Not to mention that Pau would then need to be worked into the offense and Woodson's schemes, while Amar'e already knows the role he plays here. Amar'e > Pau

Superstar

Originally Posted by p0nder
    Not gonna happen. It's just not. I;m not in favor of it and it's not going to happen.

Amar'es contract is just too nasty to be traded to any team, especially the lakers. Pau is not better then Amar'e and provides nothing of value to our front court that Amar'e won't give us and then some. Not to mention that Pau would then need to be worked into the offense and Woodson's schemes, while Amar'e already knows the role he plays here. Amar'e > Pau
    I agree that its not gonna happen because Amare's contract is toxic.

Amare > Pau ?????

• Better rebounder
    • At this point a better shooter
    • Much better post player
    • everyone is better than Amare at defense right now

Amare's probably just better at running in D'Antoni's system which is the only reason these rumors are going around.

Think everyone forgets the crazy MVP talk when Pau first joined the Lakers. He was a beast. He's struggling because he always plays with a dominant Center. Bynum hogged the inside, then Dwight.

For the Knicks, we don't have a big man who can post, so Pau could fill that spot easy.

Veteran

I rather wait to see what Stat can do under woodson's leadership. He never had a coach to teach him defense before and he worked on his post game over the summer. Let's see what he can do before trading him. This is the first time the Knicks really worked together so lets give Stat the chance to prove himself. I like Gasol, but he is not better than Amare, especially if he picked up some good moves from "The Dream" in the off season. let's not jump the gun and rush things here. The Knicks are known for panicking when they lose, just relax. This is a great team that only needs a bit more time before EVERYONE knows this.

This is something that I've talked about a lot on twitter. I'm really happy to see that it's getting some heat and the teams are at least in talks about a swap.

A lot of people believe that Amare wouldn't work for the Lakers. That he would clog up the paint, and take space away from Dwight Howard. Now to some capacity that is true, but the ideal way for Amare to play with the Lakers wouldn't be starting next to Dwight and Metta, but coming off the bench.

You see Mike D'Antoni's system has been at its best with a small line up. A PG that can run his system, ONE dominant big man who can be his pick and roll weapon, all surrounded by shooters. Pau Gasol should not and will not be starting next to Dwight because he's a half court player who thrives on post ups. It clogs up the paint for Dwight to work in and his ISOs kill the flow of D'Antoni's system.

As long as D'Antoni is coach, Pau Gasol's place in his system should and eventually will be coming off the bench, and letting him take over and thrive in his half court system against the bench players right? WRONG. This kills the flow of D'Antoni's system. It was the same problem in NY with Woodson/Melo and D'Antoni/Amare. You can't run two systems. It's impossible. Gasol will come in off the bench, the flow will be ruined, and once the starters come in they'll have to change systems which kills all momentum.

The other alternative to this is forcing Gasol to play in the D'Antoni pick and roll system, where he is no where near as effective as he is in the half court!

Now instead of those two options, wouldn't it benifit the Lakers much better to have the greatest player outside of Steve Nash ever to play in the D'Antoni system? Have Amare come off the bench with Duhon, continue to run the pick and roll and build on what the starters did in the first quarter. Instead of bringing in a guy who you have to change systems for and kill the flow of the offense. This trade would be phenomenal for the Lakers.

As for us, it's the same argument on opposite sides. Pau fits better then Amare. He plays off the ball, rebounds, and doesn't clog up the paint like Amare does. He's the secondary scorer Carmelo Anthony needs to change the Knicks from an "Interesting Playoff team" to "Championship Contenders".

Rebounding Amare = Pau

Shooting Amare = Pau (generually speaking)

Defense Amar'e = Pau (possibly a slight edge to Amar'e if he comes back playing like he was)

Post Play Pau > Amar'e (though Amar'e just spent the offseason working on his post moves with the dream)

Running in transition Amare> Pau

Help defense Amar'e > Pau

Creating his own shot Amar'e > Pau

Attacking defenses Amar'e > Pau

Passing Pau > Amar'e

High Post play Amar'e > Pau

Perimiter play Amar'e > Pau

Ability to score against opponents Centers Amar'e > Pau

I just don't see Pau as a great contributor anymore. If he couldn't get it going with Nash, Kobe and Dwight, what makes you think having Felton pass him the ball wiith melo next to him will make him better?

I agree with Real NY. Let Amar'e come back healthy and contribute to the team that he helped build.

Originally Posted by p0nder
    Rebounding Amare = Pau

Shooting Amare = Pau (generually speaking)

Defense Amar'e = Pau (possibly a slight edge to Amar'e if he comes back playing like he was)

Post Play Pau > Amar'e (though Amar'e just spent the offseason working on his post moves with the dream)

Running in transition Amare> Pau

Help defense Amar'e > Pau

Creating his own shot Amar'e > Pau

Attacking defenses Amar'e > Pau

Passing Pau > Amar'e

High Post play Amar'e > Pau

Perimiter play Amar'e > Pau

Ability to score against opponents Centers Amar'e > Pau

I just don't see Pau as a great contributor anymore. If he couldn't get it going with Nash, Kobe and Dwight, what makes you think having Felton pass him the ball wiith melo next to him will make him better?

I agree with Real NY. Let Amar'e come back healthy and contribute to the team that he helped build.

★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar

Wow you people are incredible lol

I can support the trade if it is str8 up. I can't see the Knicks giving up shump.