Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Diet Thread

Hybrid View

Default The Diet Thread

I encourage diet to still be posted in the fitness thread, but most of that thread has exercise discussion, even the name of the thread makes you think about exercise. I'm creating this for mainly diet (I say mainly because other things such as exercise always could come into play).

I haven't drank soda since Monday. The two times I was at Shop Rite this week altogether I bought Smucker's Natural chunky peanut butter, honey whole wheat bread, a couple cans of tuna (one jalapeno tuna), whole wheat pasta (haven't eaten that yet, saving it for a day I have six meals. Is there particular kinds of sauce or whatever other topings to go with this?), baby carrots (going to put them in the juicer with garlic and drink it with breakfast every morning when I start doing so. Professional wrestler Bob Backlund credits a lot of his conditioning because of this drink. It's supposed to help prevent cancer as well. He looks young for somebody 63. He credits walking a lot too), red wine vinegar, lemon, walnuts, and tea. I got my mom to get wild salmon for dinner one day this week, ate it tonight. She told me the skin was easy to scrape off. Instead of scraping it off I peeled it off, I didn't think by skin I was gonna peel off the scales and everything LOL. That was disturbing. Is eating the skin ok? I thought she meant I couldn't eat it, but my dad did. Next time I will. It tasted ok. Would be better on a sandwich. I put some lemon and lime on it then ate them. We didn't know to cook it the best way, anyone know?

I've been mainly drinking orange juice, cold green tea, tea, and water. The orange juice and cold green tea have a bunch of sugar in it, is that ok? It's not a lot compared to soda.

I'm an ectomorph/hardgainer, so I've been trying to eat and drink a lot healthier, while still saving money for a car. Any tips?
    Last edited by RunningJumper; Dec 07, 2012 at 21:14.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Smucker's Natural is a great choice, those pure ingredients you can't beat those.

As for sauces, I wouldn't be too sure where to go for that. Never used it for my food, most of my reasoning for food is for fuel, I've ignore my taste buds for a long time.

The salmon's fat is in a layer just under the skin, so after you cook it, the skin is going to be soaked with EFA's including omega-3's which are abundant in salmon.

This may be of some guidance about salmon in general at least :

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.

Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.

You can give up the orange juice.

Get some almond milk, some whey protein and give yourself a serving after the work out.

Before the workout, try whey protein with powerrade zero. It enhances your performance and the results are great.

Heres something interesting to ponder: I read that our teeth and digestive systems are specifically designed for fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds. I guess you gotta learn from the gorillas and chimpanzees who are 10 times as more flexible and stronger as the meat eaters of today's societies. Is Fruit, Veggies, nuts and seeds the way to eat? No meat, eggs, milk? I am not confirming my beliefs, merely just opening a discussion to mindful individuals.

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    I encourage diet to still be posted in the fitness thread, but most of that thread has exercise discussion, even the name of the thread makes you think about exercise. I'm creating this for mainly diet (I say mainly because other things such as exercise always could come into play).

I haven't drank soda since Monday. The two times I was at Shop Rite this week altogether I bought Smucker's Natural chunky peanut butter, honey whole wheat bread, a couple cans of tuna (one jalapeno tuna), whole wheat pasta (haven't eaten that yet, saving it for a day I have six meals. Is there particular kinds of sauce or whatever other topings to go with this?), baby carrots (going to put them in the juicer with garlic and drink it with breakfast every morning when I start doing so. Professional wrestler Bob Backlund credits a lot of his conditioning because of this drink. It's supposed to help prevent cancer as well. He looks young for somebody 63. He credits walking a lot too), red wine vinegar, lemon, walnuts, and tea. I got my mom to get wild salmon for dinner one day this week, ate it tonight. She told me the skin was easy to scrape off. Instead of scraping it off I peeled it off, I didn't think by skin I was gonna peel off the scales and everything LOL. That was disturbing. Is eating the skin ok? I thought she meant I couldn't eat it, but my dad did. Next time I will. It tasted ok. Would be better on a sandwich. I put some lemon and lime on it then ate them. We didn't know to cook it the best way, anyone know?

I've been mainly drinking orange juice, cold green tea, tea, and water. The orange juice and cold green tea have a bunch of sugar in it, is that ok? It's not a lot compared to soda.

I'm an ectomorph/hardgainer, so I've been trying to eat and drink a lot healthier, while still saving money for a car. Any tips?

You just need to eat normal foods,

If you're saving for a car, some good foods for the buck would be:

eggs
    milk
    chicken
    tuna
    frozen veggies
    frozen berries
    some protein powder because per serving it's pretty cheap
    meat
    fish

things like this. nuts are good but too expensive if you're on a budget and to be honest they don't justify their weight per pound, though it would be good to spring for them once in a while because they're awesome. it's not that nuts aren't awesome it's just that they're more a luxury than anything

frozen fruits and veggies have same nutrients and vitamins as fresh ones and are a good alternative on a budget

eggs have a lot of fat and cholesterol which IS GOOD FOR YOU unlike most numbnuts will tell you, plus eggs pack a ton of protein

spring for red meat whenever possible, i've found that chuck for stewing comes in at around 3 to 4 dollars per pound but can be made very good with some skill on the cast iron it can be tender

if you can get a big jar of unrefined coconut oil and throw a big spoon of that in your morning coffee for more healthy fat

at the end of the day, if you're a "hardgainer" that means you're skinny, you just need to eat a lot and lift a lot of heavy ****.

in all honesty, hardgainers don't exist, a hardgainer is an average, normal person, like 99% of other people who are not genetic freaks.

finally, don't listen to what metrocard tells you about training or nutrition. metrocard obviously knows a lot about fitness and all that, it's just that he deals with more advanced people and his advice is horrible for someone that is just starting out.

good resources for you to continue studying:

starting strength, mark rippetoe; this is to learn proper form on the most important lifts, because without good form you might as well not be lifting and you have a good chance of injuring yourself.

beyond brawn, stuart mcrobert; this is basically the encyclopedia on weight training and it offers very conservative, down to earth, sane advice to trainees of all experience levels, and it's a book that is focused on "hardgainers"

dinosaur training, brooks kubik; this is a great motivational and informative book on lifting heavy ****, must read. kubik's style, understanding of the iron game and enthusiasm is refreshing

you NEED to be lifting heavy weights in the compound lifts, the squat, the deadlift, the presses

you NEED to lift heavy ****

drink a lot of milk if you can drink milk, nothing will pack on pounds of muscle on your frame like a ton of milk and lifting heavy ****!!!!!

diet and fitness are not separate, they go together, and for "hardgainers" it is extra important to lift and eat!!! you can become STRONG LIKE A ****ING ANIMAL if you want to, and a lot faster than you probably think

any investment you make into weight lifting and nutrition will always make itself worth 10 times what you put in.

get a cheaper car than what you plan for, always spring for as much good food as possible

12th man

You don't need to lift heavy at all.
    For what reason?
    I don't think Running Jumper is trying to be in a strongman competition.
    You don't compete in those competitions either...I don't know why you continue to push these beliefs down our throats...do you realize it's all you talk about?

I've been an ACSM Trainer for the last 5 years.
    I've worked in hospitals, corporate gyms, physical therapy clinics, hotels, in collegiate programs and outdoors. I also run my own freelance business. This has been my life, I don't know everything but you can't tell me I don't know how to work with different populations when that's all I been doing. I worked with kids as a part time PE teacher and I worked with seniors who have tendonitis, quadriplegia and other chronic injuries.

As a trainer, I've met and worked with olympic athletes, powerlifters, bodybuilders, strongmen competitors, crossfit freaks, kettlebell gurus, yoga gurus, muy thai fighters, boxers on a professional and amateur level, and grapplers...I've learn a bit of something from all these professionals. But I don't favor anyone, and I especially don't favor strongmen competitions They have some of the dumbest training recommendations in the world...and their bodys look like a jiggypuff pokemon on steroids. It's not natural...humans aren't built for strength, but for flexibility and agility.

This is the diet thread by the way, you've been on a constant trolling rampage and you continue to shove this bull**** down our throats that no one is really listening to.

Stay on topic orangeblogman....we get the point you like big fat strong men.
    Last edited by metrocard; Dec 08, 2012 at 12:16.

LMAO @ this thread. man, OBM is like i don't even know man... I hear what he is saying and he's jacked on the big 3 lifts but there's more to it.

I found out this awesome way to make "hard boiled eggs" that taste better and is super easy to do. i make like 12 at a time: "To make the eggs, simply bake them in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes. You can place them directly on the rack or use a muffin tin, which makes it easy move them in and out of the oven in bulk. Once the 30 minutes have passed, remove the eggs from the oven (carefully, because they are hot) and plunge them in cold water for 10 minutes"

Eggs are like a ****in super food. awesome protein, decent fats, little to no carbs and very filling. I just stick them in my fridge for when I want a snack. Great for "hardgainers" to get extra protein/calories. For bigger guys on a cut just simply stick to the egg white and avoid the yellow (i'm not big on the yolk anyways).

@Smokes: @ your training: with dumbbells, a place to do pullups, and space to do bodyweight work you can get in pretty damned good shape. You might not be able to pack on muscle like the freaks in the gym but you'll get to a very athletic/lean(ripped) body with good diet and a decent workout schedule if you are consistent. That stuff is the basis for programs like p90x and others. You can find free p90x downloads on torrent sites and have the full program at your finger tips. Other good, free programs are ones like Convict Conditioning. You don't need to be at a gym lifting crazy heavy to make gains (though I did find heavy squats and deadlifts gave me the fastest gains in fitness when i was a beginner). Be sure to do a variety of things for your fitness. Try new things you never thought of doing before. I just started doing gymnastics once a week. I try to fit in yoga, swimming, basketball, running, cycling, as well as weight lifting/training.

@ the diet: Keep things as simple as possible. The best way to improve your diet is to write down everything you eat for a week or two. Literally everything, if you had Ketchup with your fries add that in there. I use an app on my phone that calculates the fats/carbs/proteins for me. You can use sites like SparkPeople to help track if you don't have a smart phone. Or just write it all down in a notebook.

In your food choices try to eat whole foods that make sense. Cook up chicken breast, eggs, fish, lean red meat, veggies of all kinds and colors, fruits, nuts and grains. Try to limit refined sugars, limit alcohol, cut out white breads all together. Cook your own meals, cook in advance and freeze/package your stuff for lunches and snacks. If you do eat out use common sense, skip the sauces and bull****, go for grilled chicken over breaded or fried, sub salads for fries, etc. Try to limit the "supplements" if you can but some of the ones I'd recommend are Fish oils capsules (wild salmon or Cod Liver give great omega-3's, sub flax seed oil for the vegans out there) and Whey protein if you are having a hard time meeting your protein levels. Forget the rest for now. It's all a money racket trying to sell you the latest snake oil quick fix remedy. Best "secret" supplement that you're probably over looking is sleep. Set a bed time, adhere to it. Get at least 7 hours a night MINIMUM.

Getting into more advanced stuff (better diets) There's some calculations and maths you need to do. Find out your BMR (base metabolic rate). this lets you know how much calories your body burns just breathing each day. You can do some adjustments depending on your activity level but essentially you want to eat 3-500 calories a day above that number to start adding weight at a healthy level. If you do that for 2 weeks and you see no change in the mirror/scale, inrease by 100 cals/day for a week until you do (you will). You should get enough protein to keep your Lean Body Mass (the muscle you already have) that usually works out to about 1 gram of protein per pound of muscle on your frame. For a guy trying to add muscle you can go ahead and do a 1-to-1 for your body weight. So if you weigh 160 lbs you should get roughly 160 grams of protein a day. If you make sure you get this and meet your caloric needs your fats and carbs should line up nicely. Keep tracking, recording, tweaking for better results. The longer and more consistent you are the better you will look and feel.

One thing I've found about fitness/diet is that it really all boils down to one thing: Consistency.

If you have a consistent diet and schedule that allows you to workout on a regular basis you're going to see gains in fitness, it really is a matter of sticking to it on a regular basis and not doing "cheat days" or taking extended breaks from working out. I've dropped 75 lbs, over 10% body fat and increased my athletics, strength, and flexibility over the last 2 years doing this. So I know this **** works.

Well, the best diet = anabolic diet

Here are some informations:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

12th man

Everything has carbs. It's impossible to not eat carbs for 12-14 days.
    Carbs are the primary source of ATP. Using fat is the only source for energy isn't natural unless and is only going to work you're working out softcore. No point in working out if you're not trying to achieve anything.

This is a short fix diet, and terrible for long term.
    Mental fogness and fatigue aren't suppose to happen from fueling your body.

Animal fats aren't good for you(saturated)

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Everything has carbs. It's impossible to not eat carbs for 12-14 days.
    Carbs are the primary source of ATP. Using fat is the only source for energy isn't natural unless and is only going to work you're working out softcore. No point in working out if you're not trying to achieve anything.

This is a short fix diet, and terrible for long term.
    Mental fogness and fatigue aren't suppose to happen from fueling your body.

Animal fats aren't good for you(saturated)
    It's not like your eating fat the whole day. The distribution is 60% fat, 35% proteins and ~5% carbs. And your carbs are only from vegetables to give your body vitamins and roughage. The first 12 days you are giving your body time to adapt to start using fat as the primary energy source (and belive me, it's not impossible). After that you have the first "refeed" and then every 5 days one or two "refeed days". It's really not that bad.

12th man

Originally Posted by uber
    It's not like your eating fat the whole day. The distribution is 60% fat, 35% proteins and ~5% carbs. And your carbs are only from vegetables to give your body vitamins and roughage. The first 12 days you are giving your body time to adapt to start using fat as the primary energy source (and belive me, it's not impossible). After that you have the first "refeed" and then every 5 days one or two "refeed days". It's really not that bad.
    Competitive athletes or people who train at high levels of fitness cannot follow this diet because of low glycogens. Humans are physically impaired if you take away their carbs.

Carbs are a primary source of ATP. Theres nothing wrong with carbs, it's just a matter on how you balance you low glycemic and high glycemic carbs and keeping it at a 50-55% of your dietary intake. This also builds up your arteries when you get older.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Competitive athletes or people who train at high levels of fitness cannot follow this diet because of low glycogens. Humans are physically impaired if you take away their carbs.

Carbs are a primary source of ATP. Theres nothing wrong with carbs, it's just a matter on how you balance you low glycemic and high glycemic carbs and keeping it at a 50-55% of your dietary intake. This also builds up your arteries when you get older.
    I'm not even trying to argue with you. I used the diet for a about 3 months only to loose body fat. I'm not saying it's the new way of life or something like that. Or maybe we have a different understanding what the word "diet" means

Hey guys I saw this thread and it reminds me of my brother (the one in the #3Marbury jersey)....

He did some religious fast/diet and ended up losing 40lbs but during the middle of the fast (which runs like a good 30-40 days) somehow we think it triggered a "psychotic" episode (or was atleast part of what triggered it). He will be 28 exactly a month from today, never had ANY sort of mental health problems or issues in his life and out of no where this just happened now he is in a psych Ward at a local hospital for probably the next few days till he gets stable (he should be fine, he is just wicked manic and bipolar has a history on my fathers side of the family I guess).

I mean we also lost both grandparents within 6 weeks last summer, he and his wife had their first baby exactly 4 months ago, etc so there's other contributing factors it seems but point is don't put your body under too much stress......take it easy and stay healthy. Thought I share this incase it can somehow help anyone here when looking at dieting, etc

Good luck and

Sent from my LG-P999

12th man

Sorry about the loses of the grandparents, thats a life changing event; I didn't handle mines too well so you're right about the stress.

Yeah thanks Metro I appreciate it.....

It just came out of no where (my brother becoming "manic") and the biggest change that happened right before was this fasting/diet thing he was doing....who knows if it triggered something in him or what....but that's why I brought it up just so ppl don't over do it with diets and what not because it can impact you negatively. I am pretty sure there has to be other factors (I.e. grandparents passing, new baby, etc) but Im no doctor, all I know is my brother is a college grad, doesn't do drugs, never had any mental health issues and all the sudden he is in a friggin psych ward and the biggest change prior was his diet so everyone take it easy and lets enjoy a Celtic ass kicking tonight!!!!

Sent from my LG-P999