Do We Really Have a Chance?

How far can the Knicks really go this year?

• Wash out - Not winning division, conference or finals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We'll win the division, but won't be able to take the conference

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • We have a legit chance of winning the conference, unlikely we can win the finals though

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • WE CAN GO ALL THE WAY!

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
So, I've been having lots of hotly contested debates regarding whether the Knicks really have a chance this year or not.

Some people have been claiming that:
1) Knicks 3 point % is a fluke. There is no way we can sustain it.
2) The Knicks are old and are using up their fuel early. No way they can stay healthy.
3) Amare will ruin the team chemistry when he returns.
4) The other teams are not trying as hard at this point in the season and are conserving energy for later.

My question for the KO crowd: How far can we really go? (Taking into account all of the above).

Can we really win the division? Conference? Finals?

knicksin60

Starter
I believe that the Knicks could beat the Heat in a series that would probably go to 7 games. But I will reserve my judgment until I see how the Heat are playing later on in the season.

The Knicks need to be healthy towards the end of the season in order for them to make it to the finals. If all goes well I don't think any team will stand in the way of the Knicks in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs.

Whoever makes it out of the West would be a very tough match up for the Knicks. The Thunder, Grizzlies, Clippers and Spurs are all dangerous teams.

KingCharles34

All Star
I think we have a chance. And i also believe the toughest competition is in the western conference with the Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies, and Clippers. Im convinced that Miami doesnt match up well with us. We will only give them more problems once Shumperts healthy, maybe Amare too. They wont win more then 2 games against us. The Celtics are
flabbynsick.png
I dont believe the Nets could beat us in a playoff series. The Bulls are tough if Rose comes back but they cant match us offensively. The 76ers if Bynum can comeback and stay somewhat healthy? They could be a sleeper team

smokes

Huge Member
So, I've been having lots of hotly contested debates regarding whether the Knicks really have a chance this year or not.

Some people have been claiming that:
1) Knicks 3 point % is a fluke. There is no way we can sustain it.
2) The Knicks are old and are using up their fuel early. No way they can stay healthy.
3) Amare will ruin the team chemistry when he returns.
4) The other teams are not trying as hard at this point in the season and are conserving energy for later.

My question for the KO crowd: How far can we really go? (Taking into account all of the above).

Can we really win the division? Conference? Finals?

1) Not a fluke most of the 3's we take are wide open and we have several marksmen on the team.
2) The only older player on the team who plays big minutes is Kidd who has played starters minutes his whole career.
3) Nah won't happen.
4) Lol poor excise.

We can win it all this year.

smokes

Huge Member
To expand a bit further I'd draw the comparison I've been making for a few weeks now that the Knicks are very much like the Mavs championship team but better IMHO.

We have better 3 point shooting than that team, a better star player, the same PG, and two other quality PGs around him, we have more scoring, the same level of interior defense, and good perimeter defense when healthy.

The Heat are no match for us with major pieces out injured how are they going to cope with us at full strength?

I agree with KS teams I'm scared of is possibly the Bulls, Memphis and maybe OKC.

Rob Low

Rotation player
We're basically the 2011 Mavs with more experience and a legit 2nd option if Amare plays up to his potential.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Very difficult to pinpoint yet

I voted for chance to win conference but finals unlikely.

There are too many unclear variables here, including:

1) whether Stat and Shump can play at a high level this year, and how they meld into the overall team chemistry on both ends of the floor
2) whether Camby, Wallace, Thomas, and Kidd can get/stay healthy and consistently contribute
3) how everyone reacts to minutes reductions if/when the team get closer to full health
4) development of White and Copeland

If the bigs can contribute (Camby, Wallace, Thomas, Stat, and Copeland) then Chandler can stay healthy. If not, the Knicks have real problems in the paint.

Getting Shumpert back will help the backcourt tremendously, but he is unlikely to ever be 100% this year. Next year is much more likely.

If everything above breaks the Knicks way, then they could get into, maybe even have a chance in the Finals. However, that is a lot of ifs and things rarely (or never) go all one way.

If more than a few things go the other way, they might not even win the division.

To me, the keys are whether or not Camby can get healthy enough (could make a big difference on the boards and in the paint defensively), whether or not Stat can play at a high level and mesh on both ends of the floor (potential to take them to another level or to be a disaster), and whether or not Copeland can develop into a better defender and rebounder.

Where Shumpert is at by the end of the season is the other potential X factor.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Knicks32you must be one of the "new generation" of knick fans. You seem like a troll.

You guys are buggin with the chemistry talk. We have JASON KIDD, were good. I trust his word. We clearly have a shot to win it all this year.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Magaditto's

Again the area of the bigs which requires strength over a season and talent in the playoffs. That being said, the potential of a healthy Knicks on paper late in the season is awesome. The competition is in the WEST with the Clippers, Spurs, OKT, . There are at least 10 PG's in the NBA better than Felton but Ray is perfect for this team, PERIOD. Watch out when his bone bruised hands heal. If Copeland could play defense which he can't, then I would we say great debth. If Novak could create off the dribble like Ray Allen which he has not I would say great debth. So we must have a healthy Amare , NO GETTING AWAY FROM IT. We can win the division...YES. We match up well with Miami....tonight's BULLS game against NOAH will say alot about TYSON and where he really is.

I must mention that Melo, when he hits the open man on the doubles and distributes the ball instead of too much iso MELO, he can be an MVP if he carries the Knicks to the Division Championship.
There's no way Kidd at the 2 can carry this team with the minutes he's been forced to play for an entire season. Is it worth having a playing coach like Kidd who can't drive to the basket anymore worth it? YES.
And he will have a key role in the adjustment of the team to the return of both Shumpert and Amare.

Last edited:

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
Nixon - I am old school Knicks fan. I was at Larry Johnson's 4-point play even...

I am just skeptical as a long time Knicks fan that has seen our team fall apart year after year. I am also optimistic this year and think that we can win the conference. (I don't think we can win the finals though).

I was just pointing out the negatives that I have been hearing from people.

nyk_nyk

All Star
It all depends on the health of the team. If everyone is ready to go and at full strength (Shump at least 90-95%) come playoff time then yes they can compete with anyone with the depth they have.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★

I feel we can win it all

Keys to Championship

1- Melo & Amare must play at high levels

2-Other players must step up and contribute

3- Ball movement

4- Felton must control his shot selection

Last edited:

deamon

Benchwarmer
There are teams we can't beat: Rockets, Bulls,..., but yes we have chance o win title. Hope Woodson will make Felton to attempt less shots when Amare will back, and our defense will work better after shump back.

bigapple

Starter
there is no need to be season aka 69-13 or 60-22
but we need to finish season @ top place somethening between 1-4 then will be chance that stronger teams simply hit other stronger like Bulls vs heat

anyway its too soon for talks 26 games are gone 56 are remaining + all star break changing alot i remember celtics won 90% games remaining of lockout season but they were 7th.

when Stat will be back Sheed and after All star Shump this team will be stronger

all i want for now less minutes for Felton more for Copeland