Who's the 2012-13 MVP thus far?

2012-2013 MVP

• Total voters

smokes

Huge Member
If we want to talk about this season, Clippers are 8-1 against defending division champions.

2-0 vs SAS
2-0 vs LAL
0-1 vs OKC
2-0 vs CHI
1-0 vs BOS
1-0 vs MIA

They look pretty legit so far, thanks to the work of Paul.

Match up of the year will be Knicks vs Clippers on February 10th.

You're not wrong, he's leading his team to wins and that's awesome. I'm still undecided as to whether the Clips are legit title contenders though. They look great in the regular season but in those close, grind it out half court games they look pretty terrible unless Crawford is shooting lights out.

I just don't see him as a front runner right now because other players like Kobe, Lebron, Melo, Durant all put their teams on their backs and win games that they should have lost.

What do you reckon about the Crawford vs JR Smith 6th man debate?

metrocard

Legend
You're not wrong, he's leading his team to wins and that's awesome. I'm still undecided as to whether the Clips are legit title contenders though. They look great in the regular season but in those close, grind it out half court games they look pretty terrible unless Crawford is shooting lights out.

I just don't see him as a front runner right now because other players like Kobe, Lebron, Melo, Durant all put their teams on their backs and win games that they should have lost.

What do you reckon about the Crawford vs JR Smith 6th man debate?

I kinda favor JR Smith because he's came up defensively this season, both are sub 20 PER players, average about the same numbers; but JR Smith has taken the lead role when Melo was out and at moments, stepped up as a floor leader (a case where it goes beyond the numbers)

It's close. Like I said earlier, from KD to Duncan...and all the elite players between them I won't be made if they get the MVP if they all keep up their great play.

To consider our time table, it is January and around this time, Amar'e was getting MVP considerations in his first season as a Knick; he finished 5th I believe but guys can fall out of this race with just one injury...I think Durant is really pushing his game to the next level with the improved passing, defense and rebounding. Miami has to make a trade to get a center, preferably Dalembert/Gooden from the Bucks since they're not using those guys much.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I haven't watched Paul a lot since he became a Clipper, but a few games I've seen, despite his great numbers and clearly being an elite PG and clearly being their best payer, he doesn't have the fire he once had. Until his last Playoff run as Hornet, fans of the team including myself wondered if he could/would put up a performance like that anymore. What happened was in the first game he put up an AMAZING game. He admittedly saved himself for the Playoffs, which you could look at it different ways. Should he have not played that much in the regular season if he was gonna pass up wide-open shots and let the rest of the team form more chemistry without him? Was it good that he played with them and took it kinda easy on his body?etc.

Before that big injury Chris Paul had a fire to him. He still puts up numbers and leads his teams to enough wins that would be understandable why somebody would think he deserves to be high in the MVP votes, but his fire, which is important, doesn't seem to be there anymore.

I think Chris Paul in his prime would have had a much better chance beating the Spurs.

As of now I'm going by what I've seen a lot on the Hornets and some on the Clippers. I want to watch more games of his, then I'll give my opinion on him currently.

Last edited:

smokes

Huge Member
^ That's basically exactly what I mean. That competitive edge, hunger, fire etc whatever you want to call it just isn't there in most games I've watched.

He had a bit of swagger in the Laker game but nothing impressive, but then last night he totally turned it on and looked just like the old CP3.

I think you're right that after the injury he's just keeping things on the low until he has to turn it on. But I think you gotta release that intensity more often, to be a leading MVP candidate.

KingCharles34

All Star
I voted for Melo, CP3, and Novak but Id have to say its undeniably Cliff Paul. That Clippers team has some talent...Blakes an all star. But they'd barely be a playoff team without CP3. I dont think they make the playoffs last year with just Blake Griff. Chris Paul might not match up with Lebron or Durant stat wise but his impact is just as big as Lebrons and bigger then Durants.

Lebrons in 2nd place with Melo just barely behind in 3rd. Where would the Heat be without Bron?

metrocard

Legend
Once the sale is completed, the Seattle-based group will have until March to file for relocation. NBA commissioner David Stern has been a big proponent of the Hansen-Ballmer group, and league officials will work diligently to help the franchise move to Seattle if the sale is finalized, sources said. The Seattle-based group is determined to not have the franchise spend a final lame-duck season in Sacramento.The prospective Seattle ownership plans are to change the Kings' name and logos back to the original proprietors of the city's NBA history: the Sonics. "Same name and logos," a source working with the group told Y! Sports.

From Starks on REALGM.

bigapple

Starter
parker and stern's lebron

right now ESPN is making orgy with heat espn + heat = $tern. their soon games bulls knicks spurs

it will be freaking amazing if knicks could stop streak @ their home floor but that game will be on tnt