Mike Antoni fires a shot back at Amare/Woodson

KingCharles34

All Star
http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...demire_Forgot_Woodson_Ran_Defense_Last_Season

Mike D'Antoni responded to comments made this week by Amar'e Stoudemire suggesting he had never been taught defense during his entire NBA career.

D'Antoni has been Stoudemire's primary coach between his time with the Suns and Knicks.

?I think it?s great,? D?Antoni said Thursday after the Los Angeles Lakers? practice. ?I think it?s great that he?s listening. He might have forgotten that Mike Woodson was also running the defense the last year I was there, so I don?t know if he just didn?t pick that year to listen. But Amar?e?s great. Sometimes you say things, but hopefully, that?s another step he can take forward and help his game. That would be great.?

I dont think Amare's comments were made to offend Antoni but clearly they did. At the same time Amare should take some accountability for his poor defense throughout his career, alot of its effort and thats something we often havent seen from Stat on defense.

Its funny how the word "defense" continues to haunt Mike D'antoni, hes been having mini temper tantrums over it since before he came to the Knicks. I also think its funny how this is the 3rd time Amare has been quoted for saying that hes never learned how to play defense going back to his last year in Phoenix after Antoni left

Starks

Starter
Its inexplicable for a 10 year vet, with that kind of contract, to blame others for his lack of gumption to learn himself. Nevermind that he plays alongside two former Defensive Players of the year in Tyson and Camby. Also, when he trained with Hakeem, didn't he pick up anything from him? He should treat his game as a craft and work on it as much as he can. Waiting for a coach to teach him isn't what players like him are supposed to do. This is why he's on the bench

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
^^ Stat should be embarrassed. Did you see that play in the Blazers game where he played matador D on Aldrich and Woody pulled him aside to tell him to be in better position to stay in front of Aldrich.

Guys with 10 years in the league and making 20M should not have their coach pointing out the basics like they are rookies.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
"so I don’t know if he just didn’t pick that year to listen."

This is actually funny. It's inexcusable for Amar'e.

With that said D'Antoni is a horrible coach.

I guess the truth really does hurt some people, maybe thats why his whiskers straighten out when ever somone mentions defense. He needs a team that already has players with above average defensive skill sets, in hopes of masking his poor coaching skills. He could have made Amare a way better player, but instead he probably attributed to Amare's lack of passion on the defensive end.

Wargames

Starter
Honestly you got to look at it as a job performance thing. Except for the time he played under gentry (who wasn't likely trying to get tough with the teams young star) and woodson who has told Am are its your job to play defense? I mean Amarwesaid this same BA last year almost word for word and it looks true. I give Woodson credit for telling Am are where he needs to be and Amare trying. The game against the Spurs Amare got a steal and a few fouls trying to defend the rest of the game he mostly stayed in front his man and ran out to the challenge the open shooter as necessary. What more can any of ask at this point.

Forrest17

Rotation player
A highschool coach would have taught better defense than what amar'e has been playing at.

People can blame D'Antoni all they want but at the end it was amar'e who was on the floor and not him. A player can only blame a coach for so much. sure maybe not living up to your potential you can place some blame... but to completely lack something so basic is just wrong.

fender0577

Rotation player
When i first heard Amare say that, i just bust out laughing,"no one taught me defense", who says that.Dude just try your best to keep the other guy in front of you, stupid, what's there to learn.As much as i dislike D'antoni, i'm in his corner on this one, Stat give's literally no effort on defense,(To this day) and to blame a coach for that is just idiotic.And if he's talking being taught the defensive sets his teams running, i'm sure he was giving a playbook like everyone else, that's still on him.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Isn't this the second time Amare has said this?

I thought he said the se thing regarding Terry Porter so how can he now say Woody is the first coach to teach him D?

I like Stat and all but he needs to just shut up and play

CoolClyde

from Mark Berman (the Sperm-man):sperm:

Stoudemire says "never taught defense'' quote taken out of context. But sat on plane with Woody last night to watch film. Wonder if D'Antoni ever did that with Amar'e? That really wasn't his style. Amar'e said a lot of the filmwork was about his role in offense. "It let?s you know the type of coach Woodson really is,'' Stoudemire said at the morning shootaround at Amway Arena. "He?s a player?s coach. He played in this league before, understands what it takes to be successful. We watched more offensive clips, to be honest with you. Defensive clips we study all the time. Coach took time out of his schedule to sit down. It shows what kind of coach and man he is.??

Starks

Starter
from Mark Berman (the Sperm-man):sperm:

Stoudemire says "never taught defense'' quote taken out of context. But sat on plane with Woody last night to watch film. Wonder if D'Antoni ever did that with Amar'e? That really wasn't his style. Amar'e said a lot of the filmwork was about his role in offense. "It let?s you know the type of coach Woodson really is,'' Stoudemire said at the morning shootaround at Amway Arena. "He?s a player?s coach. He played in this league before, understands what it takes to be successful. We watched more offensive clips, to be honest with you. Defensive clips we study all the time. Coach took time out of his schedule to sit down. It shows what kind of coach and man he is.??

This is good to hear about Woody but makes me wonder what exactly our assistant coaches do. I thought it was Herb's job to work with the front court. I've never been impressed with our assistant coaches and really think we don't get much out of the, compared to how other teams use coaches. Lots of great coaches started as assistants

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
D'Antoni, a true professional

BACQec2CUAEarIw.jpg

zwickks

Benchwarmer
^^ you beat me to it.

where do they get the balls to pull that **** with the way theyre playing.
so sad