Looking at trading Novak.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
novak.png

Woody ball leaves no place for Novak. The offence has slowed and doesn't fit his game, and the defence, though it has dipped of late, has become the preferred method. With this newly focused squad's aspirations in mind, the Novak fairytale is over.

Over the next 4 seasons, including the remainder of the current season, Novak is owed $4,054,055, $3,750,000, $3,445,947, $3,750,000.

JR Smith's stand out season has a player option sitting in wait at season's close, and I do not want to lose his rounded game in place of Novak's predictable and limited one, simply because he's been overpaid. The Knicks can still offer Smith a lot of cash for however many seasons, but the I'm more referring to the flexibility Novak's trade would bring if done properly, and with that in mind.

On the subject of Smith, he is touted as being a sporadic shooter, but Novak's form has been less desirable than expected as a sniper this season, which has created the perfect imbalance given his incapability to make defensive plays. Though he's hitting 3s at a clip of 44%, we've all seen him shine in blowout games, or in situations where teams have struggled to guard the perimeter. When there's been call for heroics, Novak is merely an advantage for other team's offence.

JRsmith.png

This has rendered him an absolute liability. And, IMO, the feeling is mutual with Woodson. The play in which Novak let Brandon Bass just walk to the basket for an easy 2 yesterday was the catalyst for my rant. If there were anyone more upset than I was, it was Tyson Chandler, who glared at Novak like he wanted to skin him.

So as much as I've grown tired of Novak's short-comings, there will, however, always be suitors for his 44% 3 point prowess. With a log jam at the 2-3 and a void at the 4, I just can't see how one of the league's worst defenders has a nich? with this team's aspirations. Aspirations that are routed in stopping teams. Given that's been less of a staple of late, the one-trick-pony clich? has to go.

shumpert.png

At the risk of flexibility and adding to an offer for JR, with the hope of Shump's return adding to our perimeter game, for the sake of the D, and, most importantly, to stop me from punching myself on the d*ck.............

Trade Novak.

At least shop him for an inclination as to what our options are.

Sound off on that one, boys!

Last edited:

Rob Low

Rotation player
I second that. Package him and Bewer for a guy like Gordon Heyward that can defend and finish around the basket.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
no I disagree. His defence is definitely a limitation, but he spreads the floor, and when people double team melo or jr, he is prime to knock down timely threes. Teams also know how well he shoots, so he is rarely left open helping which helps us deal with double teams.

He does need to work on making room against tougher defenders, but I'd hate to see us lose novak to the heat or anyone else because his length and shot are so difficult to defend.

smokes

Huge Member
I'd definitely ride him out til the trade deadline. If Woody can teach STAT to defend, he can teach Novak.

Novak has already taken strides to improve his game, let's hope he can go a bit further with that.

I think the most glaring thing about the Knicks right now, when we get beaten it's because the other team moves the ball until one of our defenders gets caught out. Our offense has gradually stagnated to the point it's at now where for the last 5 minutes of games it's purely Melo/JR going one on one. Leaving no chance for the other team to slip up.

smokes

Huge Member
I second that. Package him and Bewer for a guy like Gordon Heyward that can defend and finish around the basket.

And yeah that would be great but it's never going to happen.

Just like the Knicks are never going to get Drummond/Robinson/Sanders...

Teams don't trade away great young players for trash. This ain't fantasy baby.

Starks

Starter
This is a real difficult call for me. Novak isn't exactly having the same year he had last season but just his presence on the floor really throws a wrench into the defensive plans of opposing teams. I want to see how well Shump looks before making any moves. Its still a good move to field offers for him. I'm not sure his stock is going to get any higher though

Not just yet. His shot will start falling again soon enough. Right now i just want him to work on his footwork on the defensive end. His shot (when on) is deadly. Its not like we are in need of a specific type player, give him a little more time.

KingCharles34

All Star
Novak, Brewer & Cash for....... Metta world peace

Make it happen :thumbsup:

The Bulls, Grizzlies and Celtics have showed us a little more toughness wouldnt hurt us. Even if Rasheed comes back healthy and/or we get Kmart, i still wouldnt mind this. The Lakers might be garbage but World War is far from the problem. I think there was an interview last year where Kobe said if he could pick anybody on the lakers to go to war with he'd pick Ron Ron. NYCLakers, help me out here fam. I know u got the scoop on this

Red

TYPE-A
Although I have soured on Novak due to his defensive liabilities, I think its best to wait until we get Shump back and evaluate him if/when we are at full health.

Perhaps he's being asked to do too much in others absence and that may change. Let's see how he fits in with the total unit, because every good team needs a knock down 3 shooter.

Not only Novak; our team defense as a whole is appearing overrated. Stat looks like a liability and the rest is sporatic. I'll reserve full judgement until we are healthy but we have much work to do if we want to be a top contender.

Really although at 23-11, we are still a work in progress

tiger0330

Legend
He's still the best 3 pt shooter we have and maybe the best in the NBA. As much as we depend on the 3 you need to keep him.

He does need to add more wrinkles to his offensive game like drawing fouls on those close out defenders like JKidd does and stop running into the corners too early, defenders can use the sideline like an extra defender and nullify him when he gets there too early. I did like that 2 he shot off the glass, never saw him do that.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Novak is a great shooter. There are very few ppl that can shoot like that. I know, he is not consistent this year, but there is a reason for that. First of all, any shooter needs to be in a shooting rhythm. With limited and sporadic minites its hard to be in any kind of a rhythm. Second of all, Woody almost never runs plays for him, his teammates dont always give him the ball when he is opened. He is rarely opened to begin with, but when he is, he should get the ball more often.
Of course his game is limited, but i dont think his strength, which is a long range shooting is fully utilized.

Wargames

Starter
So I just wanted to bump this to get people opinion's. If the knicks want to keep Copeland it might be necessary to move Novak's 3 year 10 million dollar contract. For what idk

Also let me reiterate I think he should of played more in the playoffs. Woodson never used him to his full potential so I think the knicks should move him now rather than later and free that cap space.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
So I just wanted to bump this to get people opinion's. If the knicks want to keep Copeland it might be necessary to move Novak's 3 year 10 million dollar contract. For what idk

Also let me reiterate I think he should of played more in the playoffs. Woodson never used him to his full potential so I think the knicks should move him now rather than later and free that cap space.
Trading Novak won't have any effect on re-signing Copeland because we are way over the cap and we only only have the taxpayer MLE, bi-annual exception and vet min exceptions to sign FA's which would be the case if we keep or trade Novak for an expiring.

Knicks are in the same boat with Novak, Camby and Kidd. They are overpaid players on multi-year deals that will be difficult to trade.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
I wonder if we could trade Novak for Mozgov. I believe Mozgov is a free agent. Perhaps Denver could sign him and then trade him. There might be some restrictions on sign and trades because of our over the cap position. Denver's 3 point shooting was abysmal and Gallo will likely be out for a good portion of the season. Denver is set at center with McGee and Koufos. Mozgov has some size to counter the likes of Hibbert. We do not need Novak, particularly if we can hang on to Copeland.