Who do you think is the best defender on our team?

Best defender on the Knicks

• Tyson Chandler

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Iman Shumpert

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Jason Kidd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steve Novak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Jason Kidd has a case, but with him not being able to play THAT many minutes and maybe him not having the athleticism to defend the much quicker guards might be why he's not the best defender on the team.

I wanted to bring him up because he does have a case, and people say Shumpert is clearly the best perimeter defender on our team, which he might be, but Kidd is straight up filthy at times.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
I voted other. I know you said who is the best; personally I think we play our best defense as a team. Our stats individually are jumping out the box however as a unit we play pretty damn good on D when engaged. :2cents:

KingCharles34

All Star
Kidds definitely in the top 3 to 5. I thought about Chandler for a minute. Hes been rebounding well, not a great shot blocker but he does intimidate and alter shots. To be honest Camby is actually probably a better defender then Chandler, but Chandlers the better all around center because of how smart he is when it comes to rolling to the basket. He effortlessly gets above the rim to finish ally oops and thats very valuable to have. One thing that hurts Chandler a little is that he gets frustrated when other players get physical with him. Even if he cant match them strength wise, he needs to keep his cool and try to get those players to pick up stupid fouls. Thats what you have to do when someones being over aggressive with you.

I voted for Shumpert...Hes at least the most important defender on this team. We've had a problem with quick guards all year. Many of us thought Ronnie Brewer would be able to defend them but it looks like Shump will be that guy. Shumps got some of the quickest hands in the NBA. Now that hes back hes gonna be a huge asset to our team

*edit*

On the low Kurt Thomas is still a very good, smart defender. He might not put up the best stats when hes on the court but he doesnt subtract from us. Hes still a plus at least to me, hes perfect when it comes to positioning.

deamon

Benchwarmer
Few years ago, I would say Kidd, but now Chandler last year DPOY is best defender in this team. Chandler is best in blocks and rebounds, Kidd is best in steals, but that's only stats. What else? Playing pressing. Shumpert? Have to wait and see what he can give us in defense. 1.7st+2.4dreb+0.1bl is less than 40yo Kidd, doesn't impress. Kidd can't run anymore to defend PGs, and I hope Shump will do it for us.

I want to say Shump, but I?m holding reservations on that bid, I?m waiting to see just how durable his knee is. I like Kid too (very under rated on the D end), he?s a smart player that knows when to clog passing lanes, occasionally forces opponents to pick up their dribble, surprisingly sneaky hands, alters shots and manages to give his opposition bad shot selections. If shump somehow hangs around the league as long as Jason did he too will be a whole lot better than what he?s showing now.
Chandler is a solid center, a bit overrated but his weaknesses are often over looked because of the spectacular play his team mates put him in. I like his passion, and his toughness but he needs to be a bit more physical and under control as far as his attitude goes. Sometimes he can look like a bitch out there when he starts complaining about the other team?s physical play. And Novak?haha. The most I can hope from him on defense is that he learns how to pick up the charge.
I?ll like to revisit this thread around the end of the season, the whole team is trying to be defensive minded, at this point it's almost hard to say...

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Jason Kidd has a case, but with him not being able to play THAT many minutes and maybe him not having the athleticism to defend the much quicker guards might be why he's not the best defender on the team.

I wanted to bring him up because he does have a case, and people say Shumpert is clearly the best perimeter defender on our team, which he might be, but Kidd is straight up filthy at times.

Kidd's defense now is built upon IQ and will now. The guy is a walking basketball encyclopedia, he can sense out a play before the 4 opponents know it. He's much better defending off the ball, more valuable, where he can cheat, pinch on passing lanes, kill dribbles by stepping out.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Tyson Chandler gets my vote.. ever since we signed chandler his defensive presence has changed this teams mindset gradually.

Shump is an excellent defender when healthy we can all agree to that. but if Tyson was the one out with a torn ACL i guarantee you this team wouldn't currently be 25-13 with the #2 seed in the Eastern conference.

bigapple

Starter
Shump is known as ~2.0 steals per game and he is speeding up tempo

Chandler is doin mostly in the paint he cant shot jump shots and he should
but his hand shake in offesive rebs are roll really.

Rob Low

Rotation player
Shump is a top 5 perimeter defender in the league right now imo so i'd say him.

1.Shump
2.Tyson
3.Kidd
4.Camby
5.JR

ChrisN7

Benchwarmer
Don't get to watch as many games as I'd like so hard for me to say absolutely who is the best defender on the team, but from what I saw of Shump last season and on Thursday even though it was his first game back I think he adds something missing from the Knick defence so far this season. He shows great intensity and attitude, and think he will be great for us when he can get back to playing 25-30 mins per game as that amount of pressure on opposition ball handlers and wings will only help the rest of the team on D.

deamon

Benchwarmer
Yeah, but it's talking about his potential, not what he showed yet. We can only hope he will do it.

knicksin60

Starter
Amar'e Stoudemire is the best defender on the Knicks.Opposing big men seem to fear taking it to the rim when Amar'e is standing in front of them.

On the real, the best defender on the Knicks is Mike Woodson. The way he was able to turn a squad that was never really coached to play team defense into a top defensive team in the NBA allows him to be the number one defensive minded person on the Knicks.

elcol

Rotation player
Although i got the vote for shump, novak has really stepped it up this year surprising guys who try to abuse him and wasting opponent possessions.