1/27/13: Atlanta Hawks @ New York Knicks (6:30 pm)

jimkcchief88

All Star
Where's the DEFENSE ?????

44 minutes of NO-NO-NO-DEFENSE from ISO-Melo .. Melo performance kept Atlanta in the game .. Atlanta Hawks had a season high shooting 60% from FG percentage 39-65 fga. Melo & JR are always lost on the defensive-end .. Melo is only playing for his stat-scoring-record making the Knicks-Team look like a non-playoff team (shooting 38% thru the month of January).

Coach Woodson is clueless on coaching Felton & Shump .... PG-Teague scored 27 easy points, PG-Holiday scored 35 easy points, and PG-Rondo had a tripple-double, in our last 3 games.
Felton never could defend PG in his career, Shump is suppose to defend all our oponents PG when Felton is on the court .... Hint: we gave PG-Toney Douglas 27 minutes per game as a backcourt tandem with Felton, to defend oponents PG, which led to Felton having his best season in the NBA.

I agree the defense is a work in progress, but coach woody has had to use more linups than LB with all the injuries. As pointed out during the broadcast last-night STAT, Felton, Shump, Cambyman, and Sheed have all missed signifigant time. Defense is a team game, not just one players responsibility. Yeah Teague got off in the first 3 quarters, but where was he down the stretch? INVISIBLE. I would rather have a donut like Teague get-off than Josh Smith or Horford becuase Teague is a 3rd/4th option. As long as our defense keeps teams to around 100 pts or less, we have a punchers chance to win because we have one of the best closers in the game. MELO-ISO:)

deamon

Benchwarmer
we have a game closer, which Melo is one of the best in the game. Look at last night's end game situation. We needed a bucket. A layup is the easiest bucket %

No we don't, it was first time this season Melo gave us game winner. All other games it where jumpshots, not layups, and he missed them all.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Knicks have to go back to being a more well-rounded team with solid defense. Right now they win because they have pretty good talent at each position and a supremely talented player in Melo. However, they are too perimeter oriented and I fear this will be a problem in the playoffs. Amare is making great progress which is good but I would still like to see more easy opportunities for Tyson. We need to present different looks on offense to keep defenses honest. This will only benefit Melo more and enhance his game.

The most critical improvement needs to come on the defensive end. Lack of effort and communication is hurting the team. Rotations are slow and nobody wants to take responsibility for their own man. Why does everyone need to be doubled???

Lastly, decisions have to be made soon regarding acquiring a big man. Sheed and Camby have been out for too long and Amare is making a case to regain his starting spot which means we need our backup bigs. KT is ok but we need someone a bit more spry against the younger PFs and centers.

jimkcchief88

All Star
No we don't, it was first time this season Melo gave us game winner. All other games it where jumpshots, not layups, and he missed them all.

Keyword word in your sentence is this season. This is not Melo's first season in the league. If you look over Melo's career, he IS one of the TOP CLOSERS IN THE NBA. Look it up or ask somebody.....Don't be hating

deamon

Benchwarmer
Don't care last season or 3 years ago, Kidd 10 years ago was faster than wind, so?
Knicks have chance to win title this season, and Melo isn't clutch now as he was in past.

Red

TYPE-A
Knicks have to go back to being a more well-rounded team with solid defense. Right now they win because they have pretty good talent at each position and a supremely talented player in Melo. However, they are too perimeter oriented and I fear this will be a problem in the playoffs. Amare is making great progress which is good but I would still like to see more easy opportunities for Tyson. We need to present different looks on offense to keep defenses honest. This will only benefit Melo more and enhance his game.

The most critical improvement needs to come on the defensive end. Lack of effort and communication is hurting the team. Rotations are slow and nobody wants to take responsibility for their own man. Why does everyone need to be doubled???

Lastly, decisions have to be made soon regarding acquiring a big man. Sheed and Camby have been out for too long and Amare is making a case to regain his starting spot which means we need our backup bigs. KT is ok but we need someone a bit more spry against the younger PFs and centers.

Everyone doesn't need to be doubled, but everyone needs to rotate.

On almost every blown defensive play we see perimeter defenders looking back for help. Why? Well our and almost all defense needs help defenders to rotate and it doesn't stop there.

Once a help defender rotates to help, other defenders need to be aware to rotate and now cover the help defender's man. Its a system that needs everyone on the same page.

My question is why is it taking so long to perfect? Perhaps due to roster changes?

I do like how we are incorporating the zone. But can we perfect both the match-up man defense and zone defense? That remains to be seen.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Don't care last season or 3 years ago, Kidd 10 years ago was faster than wind, so?
Knicks have chance to win title this season, and Melo isn't clutch now as he was in past.

So you are comparing Melo in his prime to 40 year old Jason Kidd??? That's just dumb. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Melo being one of the best closers in the league is a fact. Do your research before you say dumb things. Pass issued because you are in Poland and don't know what you are talking about.

smokes

Huge Member

Seriously every post of yours is so negative. Only negativity. Bring some positivity into your life.

deamon

Benchwarmer
So you are comparing Melo in his prime to 40 year old Jason Kidd??? That's just dumb.

Where I said that? I don't compare present Melo to present Kidd.
I just mean don't look at the past, talk about present time.
Knicks have opportunity to win title this season, and Melo has to step up with his jumpshot in last minute of the game.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer

I think one of the things Melo will need to learn is to basically be a facilitator for the first 40 minutes of the game, then take control the last 8 minutes in crunch time. MJ was the king at doing this, where he'd just move the ball around for the first 3 quarters, get his teammates active and participating early. Then he'd have them aware and he'd have some gas in the tank.

Dirk was notorious for scoring in single digits the first half and finishing with 30. Currently, Kobe is facilitating, mvoing the ball around quickly, early in ball games, it leaves him some gas to work with late in the games, this is where you want the ball at, late in games. I think if Melo can use his teammates, set them up for easy buckets, he will have enough gas late to take those big shots in the last few possessions.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I think one of the things Melo will need to learn is to basically be a facilitator for the first 40 minutes of the game, then take control the last 8 minutes in crunch time. MJ was the king at doing this, where he'd just move the ball around for the first 3 quarters, get his teammates active and participating early. Then he'd have them aware and he'd have some gas in the tank.

Dirk was notorious for scoring in single digits the first half and finishing with 30. Currently, Kobe is facilitating, mvoing the ball around quickly, early in ball games, it leaves him some gas to work with late in the games, this is where you want the ball at, late in games. I think if Melo can use his teammates, set them up for easy buckets, he will have enough gas late to take those big shots in the last few possessions.

I saw a stat during the Hawks game that Carmelo is leading the league in first quarter scoring, averaging almost 10 points a game in the first quarter. Did anyone else see this stat?????

jimkcchief88

All Star
Where I said that? I don't compare present Melo to present Kidd.
I just mean don't look at the past, talk about present time.
Knicks have opportunity to win title this season, and Melo has to step up with his jumpshot in last minute of the game.

I not going to repeat what you said because everyone can see with thier own eyes above. You still aren't making sense though...GAMES are PLAYED in PRESENT TIME, TRENDS took place in the past. So using your own logic, coaches would never look at film to study what teams do, they would just coach what is in front of them in the current game. That don't make no sense. The trend is there are only a handful of current NBA players that have more CAREER game winning shots than MELO. So he has only one for THIS year, SO WHAT??? This NBA season isn't even half over. I assure you that since over MELO's career he has been a spectacular closer, he will have the ball in the end of games like on Sunday and will continue to convert.