Grizzlies trade Rudy Gay to Raptors!

metrocard

Legend
Memphis is obviously trying to save money, so they don't get raped in this deal because they get what they want..

Daye can shoot at 7 feet, and Prince is a solid starter who can provide defense, range, and intangibles that would fit with Gasol, Randolph, and Conley. Allen is still an elite defender, probably best perimeter defender in the NBA, so Memphis do lose Gay's athleticism and ability to score off the wing, but these means more touches for Gasol who's probably a better offensive option than Gay. Davis is a good pick up for them to add young and potential to their bench and Davis can learn a lot from Randolph.

Raptors benefit from this deal because Gay is a proven player who's averaged 18 PPG the last 4 years. Gay is a good athlete who can rebound, get steals and blocks. He won't make your players better, but Gay right now is the best player on the Raptors, so they improve regardless. Gay ain't Landry Fields, Gay is a border line All Star who's game is still developing. How can you not want a 20 PPG 6 RPG athlete who can score from anywhere?

Lowry/DeRozan/Gay/Bargnani/Val is a strong 5.

Pistons need Calderon. Knight, Bynum suck at running the PG. Their guard depth is awful and Calderon will make the game easier for Drummond and Monroe, which is much needed. Except Pistons to sneak into the playoffs.

my post from realgm.

KingCharles34

All Star
Great points Metro, I cant wait to see Calderon running the point for the Pistons and dishing to their bigs. Drummond is that dude

tiger0330

Legend
Toronto has too many wing players now. Landry Fields has to go, if not at the trade deadline then next year when his contract is up. Feel bad for Calderon, he loved Toronto and was a fan favorite and Prince hated to go but he gets a chance to play for a wnning team.

smokes

Huge Member
This trade just makes absolutely no sense to me.

Grizz were already out of luxury tax after Speights trade.

Gay is a 20ppg borderline all star.

Grizz get a talented young big who they don't need.

Gay might not be no Melo but the Grizz were also not forced to trade him this year (he has 2 more years on his deal). Consider the amount of talent and assets we gave up on that trade vs this... Toronto basically laughing right now.

tiger0330

Legend
This trade just makes absolutely no sense to me.

Grizz were already out of luxury tax after Speights trade.

Gay is a 20ppg borderline all star.

Grizz get a talented young big who they don't need.

Gay might not be no Melo but the Grizz were also not forced to trade him this year (he has 2 more years on his deal). Consider the amount of talent and assets we gave up on that trade vs this... Toronto basically laughing right now.
I think Memphis felt they overpaid Gay and he wasn't worth his max contract. They have that guy Hollinger working for them and he probably confirmed that with his statistical work. They probably would have liked to trade him after the season but the opportunity to trade a guy with a max deal doesn't come along everday, just ask the Knicks about Stat.

The Griz will still make the playoffs and I don't think they are that much worse without Gay and having Davis and Prince. Plus they save 10M dollars.

Kiyaman

Legend
Raptors got Gay.

The Clippers n Memphis Grizz were standing in the way of OKC returning to the FINALS ....
Now only the Clippers are a threat to stopping OKC from returning to the FINALS.

Rudy Gay made Memphis a top contender .. u dont trade a team-player like Rudy Gay in the regular season.

metrocard

Legend
The Clippers n Memphis Grizz were standing in the way of OKC returning to the FINALS ....
Now only the Clippers are a threat to stopping OKC from returning to the FINALS.

Rudy Gay made Memphis a top contender .. u dont trade a team-player like Rudy Gay in the regular season.

It's interesting you like Gay, but you question Melo...

knicksin60

Starter
Hopefully when the Knicks play the Raptors Iman Shumpert is fully healthy. Without a defender like him Rudy Gay gets easy points versus us.