Crazy thought.....Amar'e being the first option on offense

Who should be the number one option on the team?

• Amar'e Stoudemire

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Carmelo Anthony

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • J.R. Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raymond Felton

• Steve Novak

• Total voters

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
He hasn't been amazing since coming back from injury (it'll take some time to be in 100% form), but he has been solid for the most part, and we know how can be when he is on.

I'm not saying I think he should be. Melo is a beast, but so is Amar'e when he's at his best.

Amar'e being the first option also means less iso for our first option (a lot of pick'n'roll). Not calling Melo a ballhog, the ball movement and general hasn't been good.

The bad thing about Amar'e's offense is him turning it over. The great thing about his offense when he's on is how fierce he is.

I don't have anything bad to say about Melo's offense.

What do you think?

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
Here's the thing. Melo is one of the best post-up players in the league. This is why iso-play for him works. Teams know this so they tend to double-team him a lot. However, I think a lot more PnR plays with Amare would help create offense more. If Melo can learn to play like Lebron and pass while playing "big", then I don't mind more iso-plays on him. But until he can "bigman-scoring PG" like Lebron, then I think more PnR for Amare needs to happen.

So, basically, not Amare as the first option, but Amare and Melo sharing the first option until Melo learns to play like Lebron

CoolClyde

Melo is the difference in the game. when he's hot consistently, Knicks win.
when he's off, and goes crazy trying to shoot himself back in the game, Knicks
lose more often than not. Melo needs to get back to "look for the open man"
mentality that he had at beginning of year. with STAT in the starting lineup,
he can be that option for Melo to look for. "Be more like Lebron" is a bold
statement, but a smart thought, that Melo should take to heart.

As Clyde Frazier said, Melo should be a 20-8-5 player (pts, bounds, dimes).
the 5 assists are key to him becoming that elite, unselfish player, because
now, his selfishness in the iso can either lead to good (when he hits =win)
or bad (low percentage shooting = loss).

If Melo brought that unselfish, pass-first mentality when he is in iso, with
STAT being the first option, this Knick team could flourish. As it is, Melo
is averaging 3.1 assists this year, as THAT is the key STAT!

Lebron averages 7 assists per game. If Melo could bring himself to that
level of play, he would be MVP, and Knicks will be champions.

STAT being in the starting lineup, and getting the minutes to play
with a pass-conscious Melo, could be the answer.

of course, I also like Feltip being the main distributor to find STAT
and that needs to start at the beginning of the game... will he pass
to Melo, STAT, Shump or Chandler?

Wood Son should recognize this need for the best team on the floor
at the same time at the start of the game. I believe he will, once
STAT is 100% healthy, has shaken off all the rust, and dominates
on both the offensive post and defensive team conceptual.

all that being said, Melo should still be first option on offense, but
what he does with the ball, getting it to STAT, should be HIS first
option.

Kiyaman

Legend
After two up n down seasons (Logic says) "it's time to make Stat the first option" .. Melo is our Finisher, and go to guy at crunchtime.

u dont use a high-scoring F/C bigman (Stat & Howard) as a 2nd or 3rd option.
Recall: Allan Houston 24 points was never our 1st option with Ewing on the court.

It's midseason now, we are not going to have much success playing 48 minutes of ISO-Ball when our oponents will be sharing the ball to get everyone involved on offense & defense for their midseason playoff run.

erivera

Benchwarmer
this may sound dumb, but it's stat's defense that's preventing him from being a top option for this team. seeing how the team has been defending lately woodson doesn't like to stick with stat if he's having an off night. i also think his role will actually expand more when sheed or camby, preferably both, come back. i say that because i think woodson will be able to put stat out there with another big who can defend as which would lighten the load defensively for stat.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think of Melo as Option 1 and Amar'e as Option 1A would be the best for this team...they need to have an about equal role, since neither is really a distributor and Amar'e, in particular, is not a great off the ball player. More Felton-Amar'e P&R would be a start to getting our offense away from IsoMelo

Kiyaman

Legend
this may sound dumb, but it's stat's defense that's preventing him from being a top option for this team. seeing how the team has been defending lately woodson doesn't like to stick with stat if he's having an off night. i also think his role will actually expand more when sheed or camby, preferably both, come back. i say that because i think woodson will be able to put stat out there with another big who can defend as which would lighten the load defensively for stat.

Melo's DEFENSIVE effort & awareness is 10 times worst than Stat .. ask any of the Denver Nuggets players that was a teammate with Melo. Phoenix Marion & Stat had some of their highest scoring games vs Melo Nuggets.

Kiyaman

Legend
We have to show the NBA what two $100M contract brings ....

Melo has been our first-option throughout the season (50 games), it's time to let our other $100M high-scorer shine as the first-option.
The strategic change may benefit us in the postseason games