3/3/13: Miami Heat @ New York Knicks (1:00 pm)

Kiyaman

Legend
I suppose I am missing the logic.........Why start White if the truth is you have no faith in him and he will never see past the 4 minutes of the first and 3rd quarters........Is there someone who can serve us better ....
I do not think there is another NBA team who uses a guy solely to start a game in the first and 3rd quarter and then never enter back into the game and better yet when he does not start he see zero playing time.

There were some logic in starting White ..
1) Lebron & D.Wade average 20+ plus points from the foul-line per game.
2) White's role was to defend and pickup early fouls (Brewers role in our two 20 point wins).
3) The Heat outscored us in the first qtr. by 1 point (23-22), because Woody's philosophy has been all season to bring NO-DEFENSE JR.smith into the game with 8 minutes remaining in the first qtr., which was way to early to take White out, while we owned a 4 to 5 point lead while White was on the court.
4) White & Shump tandem defense were an unexpected team-defense than Lebron & Wade were prepared for, our tandem were always back on defense providing STOPS.
5) Plus assistant coach Jason Kidd wanted to come off the bench with Stat to add fire in the 2nd qtr., and not be taken out of the game 4 minutes into the first qtr. to be replace by JR.

The last time Detroit won the Championship they started C-Cambell for 6 minutes throughout the regular-season, and thats all the playingtime C-Cambell receive, the first 6 minutes of the game. A strategic-strategy.

Did u notice the Miami Heat had NO-Answer to stop Stat from scoring inside, after Stat got his shot block?
But we would rather have JR.smith shoot 5-18 and not go to the foul line, rather than Stat shooting 5-7 plus two trips to the foul line.
And to all the Novak-haters, get it right 85% of all Melo, JR, and Felton shots are from the peremeter.
Right now Ray Allan is averaging 7 to 9 shots per game as the Heats peremeter shooter .. Novak is our peremeter shooter averaging 3 to 4 shots per game, think Woodson-Woodson-Woodson for not forcing players to set up plays in certain places for a catch n shoot Novak, like we did for Allan Houston.

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
I liked the way we played in the 1st half from an effort standpoint. The ball was moving nicely and aside from a few questionable 3s, it was good. I knew that 14 point lead wasn't going to last because MIA is just too good right now. HOWEVER, it didn't help that the knicks came out in the 3rd quarted living from the perimeter and launching 3s when they should have been trying to get easier baskets near or inside the paint. When MIA was making their comback, all I wanted was for Woodson to make it a priority to keep pressuring them with drives to the basket. Novak for whatever reason keeps seeing playing time against this team when it has been proven that he's just not effective. Kidd played great but once again too many 3s for my taste.

JR Smith was his usual low basketball IQ self. He's high risk / high reward as we all know but when he took that contested 3 when were only down 2, I knew that was the game. During that point, both teams were trying to keep or break ahead on a 2 point lead. The temperature of the game called for well executed shots, or at least shots to be taken by your finisher. This is something JR didn't understand and it cost us the chance to win the game. On the other end, the Heat were very disciplined and knew who they wanted to finish the game with when it mattered. I'm still a JR fan but he can't be the robin to Melo's batman. He just doesn't have the IQ to thrive in a close game that requires execution.

Woodson is making a big mistake with Amare. You have a talented guy whose efficient and apparently feeling great and you use him like a role player??? His confidence is extremely high right now and you have to allow him to become Amare again. He made some nice defensive plays yesterday and even though his rebounding was weak, he's still our best low post threat. On the other hand, JR was able to shoot whenever he wanted without consequence. The fact that Camby or Martin didn't see any minutes for defensive purposes is also weird. Kidd shouldn't be playing more minutes than Amare nor Shump.

The game was very winnable but this just proves that we aren't there yet. Also, Woodson is showing a lot of weakness in his coaching ability to get players to understand situations, possessions, and time management. Woodson said in the post game interview that JR needs to have better shot selection. REALLY?? Where was that talk DURING the game when he was on his way to 14 3 pt attempts???

skisloper

Starter
I liked the way we played in the 1st half from an effort standpoint. The ball was moving nicely and aside from a few questionable 3s, it was good. I knew that 14 point lead wasn't going to last because MIA is just too good right now. HOWEVER, it didn't help that the knicks came out in the 3rd quarted living from the perimeter and launching 3s when they should have been trying to get easier baskets near or inside the paint. When MIA was making their comback, all I wanted was for Woodson to make it a priority to keep pressuring them with drives to the basket. Novak for whatever reason keeps seeing playing time against this team when it has been proven that he's just not effective. Kidd played great but once again too many 3s for my taste.

JR Smith was his usual low basketball IQ self. He's high risk / high reward as we all know but when he took that contested 3 when were only down 2, I knew that was the game. During that point, both teams were trying to keep or break ahead on a 2 point lead. The temperature of the game called for well executed shots, or at least shots to be taken by your finisher. This is something JR didn't understand and it cost us the chance to win the game. On the other end, the Heat were very disciplined and knew who they wanted to finish the game with when it mattered. I'm still a JR fan but he can't be the robin to Melo's batman. He just doesn't have the IQ to thrive in a close game that requires execution.

Woodson is making a big mistake with Amare. You have a talented guy whose efficient and apparently feeling great and you use him like a role player??? His confidence is extremely high right now and you have to allow him to become Amare again. He made some nice defensive plays yesterday and even though his rebounding was weak, he's still our best low post threat. On the other hand, JR was able to shoot whenever he wanted without consequence. The fact that Camby or Martin didn't see any minutes for defensive purposes is also weird. Kidd shouldn't be playing more minutes than Amare nor Shump.

The game was very winnable but this just proves that we aren't there yet. Also, Woodson is showing a lot of weakness in his coaching ability to get players to understand situations, possessions, and time management. Woodson said in the post game interview that JR needs to have better shot selection. REALLY?? Where was that talk DURING the game when he was on his way to 14 3 pt attempts???

Woodson is fool of crap ..........He talks out of both sides.....JR shouldnt take those shots is one side but then he leaves him in to continue to do so...........Woodson did this in the playoffs last year............
Woodsons philsophy is maybe JR will get hot ....its like 5th grade bball coaching.....

Kiya Thank you for the White explanation. Wish we has ronnie brewer for that role....

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
At some point we were leading by 16 [or maybe even more] and what happened? Melo folded once Spo put LeBron on him, Woody took Chandler out of the game while we were in desperate need of defensive stops and then JR took over and started chucking as expected... well done coach Woodson, well done!

mike-dantoni-court-vision.jpg

That lazy crosscourt pass from JR sealed the deal. Kidd fouled Lebron, refs didn't think it was a break away and I have never seen Lebron so demonstative when talkign to the refs, believing he should have gotten the breakaway call. Refs were correct in the assessment, Lebron never had possession, even though, he would have thrown it down without the foul....probably league will have rework the wording on that rule. But that woke Lebron up, the guy was on a different planet after that. we didn't make any adjustments that worked when they worked on Melo. I thought Kidd got too much burn in the 2nd half, what he came in with 6 left in the 3rd and had no time off. I think they could have interchanged him and Amare at least a few minutes down the stretch. Our offense died for what a 3 minute stretch late, Amare would have helped. Also with Kidd's quick hot streak, Woodson, left him in too long, there was no Felton until his last 2 driving lay ups. Like I said Kidd needed to see the bench with about 8 left in the 4th....leaving a return with 4 minutes left a possibility, allow Felton to run the offense.

Red

TYPE-A

Really appreciate your points.

If a coach can't see nor understand the mental aspect of the game, he's not a good coach period.
What message is Woodson sending by minimizing STAT'S role?

And that message is exacerbated by other related decisions with minutes, playing time, and roles.

Is STAT a leader? Yes or No. This can't be about injury because there are other (worse) examples of coach's decisions regarding injuries.

This can't be about talent or contribution because there are other (worse) examples of that.

So what is it? Something personal?

It's so frustrating when an NBA coach can't get the simple sh*t correct. I can understand the difficult decisions that may take creativity, planning, and strategy but the simple sh*t is just that. Play your best.

Stop... I repeat STOP taking and enabling the team to shoot so many 3's!

Know your players roles. Stat TC Melo = Leaders. Act accordingly.

In effect Coach Woodson I making Kidd/Novak/And White more important than AMARE.

...AND SURROUNDING Melo with 3 point guards in Felt, Kidd, Shump or JR...

Is just ridiculous.

Sure JR can create his shot but so too can STAT and the odds are greater that something positive happens (fouls).

Yo, haven't we had this same conversation before? Smh.....

Red

TYPE-A

Really appreciate your points.

If a coach can't see nor understand the mental aspect of the game, he's not a good coach period.
What message is Woodson sending by minimizing STAT'S role?

And that message is exacerbated by other related decisions with minutes, playing time, and roles.

Is STAT a leader? Yes or No. This can't be about injury because there are other (worse) examples of coach's decisions regarding injuries.

This can't be about talent or contribution because there are other (worse) examples of that.

So what is it? Something personal?

It's so frustrating when an NBA coach can't get the simple sh*t correct. I can understand the difficult decisions that may take creativity, planning, and strategy but the simple sh*t is just that. Play your best.

Stop... I repeat STOP taking and enabling the team to shoot so many 3's!

Know your players roles. Stat TC Melo = Leaders. Act accordingly.

In effect Coach Woodson I making Kidd/Novak/And White more important than AMARE.

...AND SURROUNDING Melo with 3 point guards in Felt, Kidd, Shump or JR...

Is just ridiculous.

Sure JR can create his shot but so too can STAT and the odds are greater that something positive happens (fouls).

Yo, haven't we had this same conversation before? Smh.....

bigapple

Starter
James White is not NBA level he should be sended to NBDL

agree Novak should not played this game

that sub Novak 4 Chandler was MDA change not Woody

Why Prigioni not played ? JR committed 3 costly TO's while Pablo can easly steal any ball just like Shump

WHERE IS K-KMART since signed 10 day played just 200 sec.

COPEland was not in uniform any injure or break?

Camby is available why didnt play

:(

petescud

Starter
Sad thing was this was a very winnable game for us that we choked again...I mentioned all the non calls that we got burned with again on facebook, and a dear old friend of mine chimed in like "so it goes"....Her sister is married to Rothstein (asst coach of the heat - hope i spelled his name right)...she'll admit she's a Heat fan cause of her sister, but i told her "what about your NY ties"...anyways was hoping to quiet her with this win