RIP Ray Williams

tiger0330

Legend
Just heard Ray Williams passed away. Woody said "It was a major loss because he was part of the Knicks family".

I posted a thread about him a few years ago when he was down on his luck and homeless living in FL but that might be returning to Mount Vernon where him and his brother Gus were legends. Well he did come home to Mount Vernon where the mayor gave him a job with the city and he recently remarried. He was turning around his life until he was diagnosed with colon cancer and the Knicks graciously offered to pay for treatment of it.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I heard about that during the game with the Raptors. Sounds like the guy had a pretty rough life. Great to see the Knicks paying for his treatment and helping him out.

Very sad story. May he rest in peace.

petescud

Starter
Did you play high school ball against them or playground ball? What HS might I ask if it was HS?

I played in pick up games with him and Gus at Schlobaum housing projects in Yonkers NY where i lived for 4 years (69-73-ish) and I believe he was part of the School St projects games (Yonkers) as well. I may have even played with him in Mount Vernon. Charlie Chriss (amazing short player), Dell Alston (Yankees), Wolfie Alston and many others, played as well. I also have friends that played against him in HS. They were on YHS's team and played MV. I'm like 4 years younger then Ray

tiger0330

Legend
Played in an era when there weren't the multi-million dollar contracts there are now. If I remember Ray in his 10 years made about 4M and his lump sum payout from his NBA pension was only a few hundred thousand. He made a number of bad investments and his modest fortune was gone. I don't think he ever got his degree from Minnesota, so what he became was a HS grad with no job skills other than playing bball.