Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Options for next year

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Id be wet if we can somehow get trey Burke. That dude will be legit on the Knicks that step back is Jr like( swishs is the best in the L ). His vision is there too and dude runs a fluid team. Great back up to learn from Kidd till feltips contract is up. Another great addition would be Mitch mcgray

As for JR id honestly be shocked if he left. My moneys on he comes back. My one hope is we get Shumpert a bigger role he's still not 100% but he's starting to get back to his game. Dude has lots of potential.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Felton is the weakest link in our starting 5, the moment we upgrade at PG is the moment we become a better team.
    if it happens it would likely be a vet player brought in. All signs point to the knicks not wanting to train a pg to be able to distribute and unless you draft one in the lottery (and sometime even then like John Wall) it take a few seasons for them to adjust to the NBA.

That's why I don't see the knicks drafting a PG. Maybe a Center since this draft is full of decent ones but like I said I could see a really good SF fall down the draft due to everyone focusing on getting Centers.
    Last edited by Wargames; Apr 08, 2013 at 23:06.

C - Steven Adams - The next Omir Asik (short term) with more offensive potential.

Superstar

How 'bout Gerardo Suero? Anyone ever seen this kid play? Athletic, well put together 6'4" 205 SG who played one yr (2011-2012 season) at Albany where he performed very well for a first time player coming over from the Dominican Republic:

31.7 mins. per, 21.5 ppg, 46% FGs (35.8% on 3s), 83% FTs (220-265), 5.8 rpg, 3.1 asst, 1.3 steals.

Granted, the American East Conference isn't the best competition--nevertheless, those are some impressive numbers...Never saw him that one season but just looking over whatever clips I could find -- I like his game a lot. Can really slash and get to the rim. 265 FT attempts is A TON for a college season. And he hit them at an 83% clip too which is great for a 1st-time college player. Look how much more efficient JR Smith has been since he started taking the ball to the basket more and going to the line more. That's how this kid plays -- looks like he relentlessly attacks the rack which is high % basketball. Jumper looked adequate too (36% on 3s is quite respectable) as is pulling down almost 6 rebs a game, great for a wing. I'll continue researching him (not sure where he is now), but this kid looks like one of the better bargin bin types out there. I wouldn't mind seeing this kid in Summer League to get a closer look, esp. if JR signs elsewhere.

Veteran

Heard about Suero from a buddy of mine. Best player on the Danes squad but playing against second level competition, he was going to be a 24 year old senior at U of Albany and left to make some money in the pros, he quit to enter last years draft and wasn't given a whiff in the draft. There was talk of him going to Europe but I don't think anything came of that either just like the NBA draft. Best case is he would be a 2 year project so I would say no as a Knick prospect.

If you look at the league in general from MWP, Love, Amare, Jdue, Gallinari, Rose, Granger, K Mart, Wade, Nash, Noah, and on and on..THE SEASON IS TOO LONG especially with amount of physical play allowed. Look at the 1973 Knicks...TWIGS compared to todays team. So yes younger players will stay healthy but THEY WON'T WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS was the mind set going into this year. Older players on the cheap because of the AMARE< MELO< TSON...55,000,000 salary combo.

Originally Posted by CA7
    Finestrg for GM
    Agreed, nobody on this board is such a scouting talent.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by Lercher
    Agreed, nobody on this board is such a scouting talent.
    I'm better I'm just not showing my best cards.

Talent means your good at something.
    The point of scouting is finding good players who will play a role in the NBA.

fine just researches undrafted free agents; guys who skill arent developed and don't really have a real strength to stand out in an extremely competitive league.

12th man

Originally Posted by finestrg
    I know they'd never do it like this but humor me for a minute.

Guaranteed contracts for next yr (8):

Amar'e
    Melo
    Chandler
    Novak
    Felton

Shumpert
    Kidd
    Camby

Needs:
    2 PGs (preferably quick/athletic, capable of penetration & transition play)
    A bigger scoring 2 assuming JR Smith bolts
    More skilled size/depth up front
    More overall youth & athleticism
    Try to convince both Kidd & Camby to retire (buyouts coupled with offering front office positions maybe?)*

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Step 1:

Maximize the draft. Think about trading down and grabbing 2 capable players for our 1st rounder.

Trade our 2013 #1 (25 range) & cash to Cleveland for picks 32 & 33 and select:
    - PG Pierre Jackson 5'10" 180 (Baylor)
    - PF Cory Jefferson 6'9" 230 (Baylor) or Adreian Payne 6'10" 230 (Michigan State)

Our 1st rounder (and cash if necessary) to Philly for picks 36 & 41

Our #1 (and cash if necessary) to Portland for SG Will Barton and picks 39 & 46

Our #1 to Phoenix for picks 34 & 52

** if we can't outright trade the pick, make the selection for whichever team at 25 and have them do the same. Same thing.

Step 2:

Resign JR Smith (seems unlikely now all of a sudden) and Chris Copeland.

Step 3:

Consider signing any of the following to league minimum deals:

Bigs:
    Marcus Cousin 6'11.5" 255 (currently playing in Japan)
    Jordan Williams 6'10" 260
    JaJuan Johnson 6'10" 225
    Brandon Davies 6'9" 235 (BYU) - summer league/training camp invite

Wings:
    Jermaine Taylor 6'5" 210 (currently ripping up the D-League)
    Jamelle Horne 6'7" 220 (former Arizona Wildcat, currently playing in Puerto Rico)
    Scotty Hopson 6'7" 220 (former Tennessee Vol, currently playing in Israel)
    Chris Douglas-Roberts 6'7" 210
    Gary Flowers 6'8" 215
    Austin Freeman 6'4" 230
    Derrick Byars 6'7" 220
    Sylven Landesberg 6'6" 210

PG:
    Michael Loyd Jr. 6'1" 190 (former BYU Cougar/Midwestern State Mustang) - summer league/training camp invite
    Curtis Jerrells 6'1" 195 (former Baylor Bear, Europe)

A roster I'd LOVE to see next year:

5 - Chandler
    4 - Amar'e
    3 - Melo
    2 - Shumpert
    1 - Felton
    -----------------
    Marcus Cousin
    Cory Jefferson (or Adreian Payne)
    Novak
    Jermaine Taylor
    Pierre Jackson
    -----------------
    Jordan Williams
    Brandon Davies
    Chris Copeland (or Jamelle Horne if Cope gets another deal we decide not to/can't match)
    Scotty Hopson
    Michael Loyd Jr.
    -----------------
    *Kidd
    *Camby

Again, I know for a fact that they'd never come up with a blueprint exactly like this but I just wanted to point out that there are PLENTY of good viable options out there to get younger and more athletic while also increasing the team's overall skill level despite being over the cap. I was convinced before but never moreso than now since K-Mart came up with knee soreness that NBA basketball is a young man's game. I want a younger/more athletic/more talented roster next year to help us compete better with teams like Chicago, Indiana, Memphis, Oklahoma City, etc. To me the above roster has everything we'll need -- fulfills my younger/quicker/more athletic mandate; 2 PGs behind Felton that can continue to penetrate and play uptempo when Felton sits; 2 talented scoring wings in Jermaine Taylor and Scotty Hopson that can help replace JR Smith if he signs elsewhere; and plenty of youthful size, length and skill up front with Marcus Cousin, Cory Jefferson (or Adreian Payne), Jordan Williams and Brandon Davies to help us sustain a grueling 82-game schedule AND compete against the younger/bigger frontcourts of the NBA.
    Marcus Cousin, Cory Jefferson, Jordan Williams, Jermaine Taylor, Scott Hopson and Brandon Daives are all 15th men in the NBA.

Some of these guys are young, and some are athletic.

but you're missing the most important aspect.

Their skill level and what level they can play and excel this team at. They're not good and never proven they can be good at an NBA level. They don't even dominate the leagues they play in.

I'd give you Jordan Williams. He's huge at 6"10 and over 260lbs. He has double double potential, but he's a horrible defender and he's very lazy and his work ethic has been question. Jordan would skip college classes, he didn't want to finish his college career(left after his sophomore year) , jumped early in the NBA Draft even though he was never projected to be a first round pick...Jordan doesn't want to go to Europe and develop his game which needs a lot of work. You got to look more into players than just their height, weight and age. Basketball goes beyond that.

Do you know of these guys work ethic?

If not, then you'll fall in love with the Josh Selbys of the world. Players who are young, athletic, but really got no game to contribute to the elite league that is the NBA.

Reggie bullock is a sf who has a smooth shot and has played D against the best parameter players in the NCAa. He is also used to being a role player so he would fit in greatly. I see him being the Knicks thabo sefolosha/battier minus the long wingspan but with the ability to run over screens and shoot ala a rip Hamilton or ray Allen (not to say he can shoot anywhere near that level)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

12th man

these are guys Knicks should keep an eye on

12th man

God damn Aussies and Kiwis are excelling in bball talent. Smokes, what you guys eating over there? lol

Superstar

Originally Posted by Wargames
    Reggie bullock is a sf who has a smooth shot and has played D against the best parameter players in the NCAa. He is also used to being a role player so he would fit in greatly. I see him being the Knicks thabo sefolosha/battier minus the long wingspan but with the ability to run over screens and shoot ala a rip Hamilton or ray Allen (not to say he can shoot anywhere near that level)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I like him too. Great shooter with a quick trigger and a flawless-looking, effortless stroke from deep. The 3 ball's his bread and butter but he's far from a one-trick pony -- this kid can put it on the floor and get to the rim, he helps out on the glass and he's active defensively. Excellent call.

I would think about keeping JR Smith (we have the early Bird rights). I would keep our #1 draft pick. My draft board is Myck Kabongo, Gorgui Dieng, Steven Adams, Shane Larkin (in that order). One of these should be available in the mid-20s, as a backup PG or backup center. I really love Patric Young, but he is staying in school, and Dieng or Adams probably have more offensive upside. I would consider a trade to get another draft pick this year, in addition. Ideally, you fill both the backup PG and backup center positions with draft picks, if possible from the first round. I would definitely like to add Patric Young in the 2014 draft (I see him as a defensive PF in the Anthony Mason mold). I would also try to re-sign Copeland, I really like him. Re-signing Kenyon Martin would also be good, assuming he is not offered a large contract by someone else.