Carmelo is as good as Durant

metrocard

Legend
Got in this debate on Facebook, just copied and pasted what I wrote.
KD gets calls at a asinine rate at home and it only changes by a few attempts on the road. You can't breath on that dude. Seriously as a defender the best way to make KD ineffective is to body up and be physical. But seeing as you can't touch the dude as a defender you're at a disadvantage. If Anthony holds on and wins the scoring title over Kevin Durant, along with our Knicks winning out with an 18 game win streak heading into postseason play (franchise record along with 8th all-time amongst the NBA) while our Knicks splash as the two seed... There is no question in my mind, that Anthony walks away with the NBA's 2012-2013 Most Valuable Player Award. Why? Because that's exactly what he's been. The leagues most valuable player as our team has overcame (multiple) team injuries. It's also not about "how you start" but instead how you finish. That's what writers and voters will go off of.

Anthony winning the scoring title while leading his team to 18 consecutive victories as a two seed despite multiple team injuries to our big men, and he's without question, the MVP of 2012-2013. During our 12 game win streak Carmelo Anthony has put up...

11 games along with an average of 36.3 minutes, 32.7 points, 8.2 rebounds, 7.09 free throw attempts, 1.6 assists, 1.0 steals, 0.5 blocks along with only 2.7 turnovers per game.

135/271 from the field which creates for a FG percentage of .498%. He's gone 24/58 from beyond the arc which creates for an outstanding 3PT percentage of .413% while also going 66/78 from the free throw line which creates for a free throw percentage of .846%. A combined 225/407 from the field which is good enough for a total shooting percentage .552%.

Lastly our Knicks only being 6-7 without Anthony (.462%) when compared 44-19 during games in which Melo has played (.698%) doesn't lie.

Knicks just walked into OKC without Camby, Wallace, Thomas, Stoudemire and Martin while Melo (once again) led the way as the most valuable player over Westbrook, Ibaka and Durant. That's the definition of most valuable and it's been like this throughout the entire course of the season.

Anthony: 15/29, 36 points, 12 boards (9 offensive), 1 block and 0 turnovers. Win.
K.Durant: 7/17, 27 points, 7 assists, 4 blocks, 3 assists, 3 boards and 4 turnovers. Loss.

The refs also gave Durant 13 points off 15 free throw attempts. Can't even breath on the guy on the perimeter while Melo had 0 FT attempts until the closing moments of the 4th while fighting hard down low during the entire game. Pathetic.

Why does KD always dissappoint in marquee matchups?

Everytime there is a huge game he seems to cower. Whats up? Lebron this year and last year, Melo last tonight, old man kobe last year. You look at his stat line all you see is meaningless point because free throws that are handed to him because he is weak. Dude needs to man up and grow mentally. Arent you supposed come back stronger after losing in the finals? Guess we'll see in the playoffs. All we know the torch from mj to kobe to lebron might skip him.

Russell Westbrick out preformed KD last night. 37/11/8.

1-11 vs Melo
2-9 vs Lebron
7-14 vs Kobe

You have to be shocked by how many FTs Durant gets. It's most insane when he plays against other superstar teams and you just see the discrepancy in how the game is called. just kind of shocking, it really inflates his efficiency numbers.

Kevin Durant, a tiger with the mentality of a cat. Russell Westbrook is the alpha male on the team and takes charge of the offense. Durant only shoots a high percentage because he defers to Westbrook. If Durant grew a pair of nuts and took more volume shots, he'll be shooting 46-47% in the Kobe and Melo range.

Melo owns his soul.
Stats from their matchups since 2010:
Melo: 36.8mpg, 31.2ppg, 8.6rpg (3orb), 1.8apg, 2.2topg, 49.1fg%, 38.5 3pt%, 86ft%, 57.8TS

KD: 39.2mpg, 26.6ppg, 6.4rpg (.4orb), 3.2apg, 3.4topg, 40fg%, 25 3pt%, 90.3fg%, 56.7TS

Melo plays WAY above his average and KD plays WAY below his average. It's crazy.

Melo is closer to the LBJ / Durant elite than anyone wants to admit, mainly because Melo is not very likable.

p0nder

Starter
In my mind Melo > Durant. I've said as much before. Melo is a better defender, rebounder, post threat, ball carrier, and scorer. Durrant is a better passer and facilitator by a small margin, but over all Melo is the better player.

Keep in mind that Durant is much younger then Melo and his game should evolve as Melo's as and as time goes on he will surpass him (just as melo has surpassed kobe with the passing of time) But currently, Melo is the better over all player.

And is it just me or did Melo go HAM all year and actually add weight? Looking at the game yesterday Melo looked big and strong. A lot different then he looked when he first came to the knicks and a good many lbs heavier then when he joined the league as a corn rowed skinny kid. All of the non-knicks fans will tell you differently, that durrant is the better player, scorer, dunker, shooter but i disagree on almost all points. Yesterday was affirmation of that point. I think that Melo will earn a lot more respect from NBA fans in the playoffs and if he plays really well could bring NY it's first chip in nearly 40 years. Should he play at this caliber you will also see him get those calls you see durrant and LBJ get now, which will push his totals even higher....

I'm gonna goahead and put an exclemation point on this post:

Carmelo Anthony is the best player on the best knicks team ever assembled, making him the BEST player to ever put on a knicks jersey. He should be MVP this year. If he stays focused on WINNING and committed to greatness he could go down as one of the best players in basketball history. These playoffs will determine everything for Melo.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Damn those are some impressive head to head numbers between Melo and Durant....

Melo led teams are 11-1 against Durant led teams? HOLY SHEET that is something that can't be overlooked. I was just bumping the MVP thread to gage what others think Melo's shot is at the award this season myself. If we win out, will be hard to overlook him.....even when compared to LBJ and definitely should be ahead of Durant IMO. Durant has another MVP candidate in Westbrook to play with.....Melo has a solid team but no MVP type candidate that's for sure.

bigapple

Starter
Durant isnt such strong as Melo on boards and drivin into paint with all defenders he is driving faster only when he see holes

he is a bit taller wider hands range better 3pt shooter already been in finals and stolen title from refs. Anyway OKC is younger team

but remember what says Pierce and Bryant Melo is the most difficult to cover.

uber

Benchwarmer
Carmelo Anthony is the best player on the best knicks team ever assembled, making him the BEST player to ever put on a knicks jersey. He should be MVP this year. If he stays focused on WINNING and committed to greatness he could go down as one of the best players in basketball history. These playoffs will determine everything for Melo.

Huh, talk about pressure :)

knicksince 93

Rotation player
In my mind Melo > Durant. I've said as much before. Melo is a better defender, rebounder, post threat, ball carrier, and scorer. Durrant is a better passer and facilitator by a small margin, but over all Melo is the better player.

Keep in mind that Durant is much younger then Melo and his game should evolve as Melo's as and as time goes on he will surpass him (just as melo has surpassed kobe with the passing of time) But currently, Melo is the better over all player.

And is it just me or did Melo go HAM all year and actually add weight? Looking at the game yesterday Melo looked big and strong. A lot different then he looked when he first came to the knicks and a good many lbs heavier then when he joined the league as a corn rowed skinny kid. All of the non-knicks fans will tell you differently, that durrant is the better player, scorer, dunker, shooter but i disagree on almost all points. Yesterday was affirmation of that point. I think that Melo will earn a lot more respect from NBA fans in the playoffs and if he plays really well could bring NY it's first chip in nearly 40 years. Should he play at this caliber you will also see him get those calls you see durrant and LBJ get now, which will push his totals even higher....

I'm gonna goahead and put an exclemation point on this post:

Wow, please calm down.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

jimkcchief88

All Star
That's a Keith Jackson:"whoa nelly" But I would rather hear that than the critics "shoulda kept Gallo" who is out for the season btw bs:)

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I would have to agree, melo is in the elite class of ball players. He gets the rep of strictly scorer, however, people tend to forget he's a monster on the boards and his defense has been efficient and above average. Look at yesterday for example he had 14 boards 9 offensive! And that's against a tall team in the thunder that has great rebound guys. This season he's really matured as a leader and that was his one knock but I would say he's on that level of Bron wade Paul Durant as the elite guys in the league.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
Good thread. At this stage of the careers Melo is the better player. He's definitely the better scorer & has a number of ways to torch players on the inside or outside. KD is still young & will improve with time though.

tiger0330

Legend
These stats were taken from the Forbes article "Melo is the most overpaid player in the NBA". Not quite sure you can say Melo is better, he may be having a better year and I bet 25 out of 30 GMs choose KD over Melo if they could pick a player.

Durant gets his points taking four fewer shots per game than Anthony does (18 vs. 22). He shoots 50.5% from the floor to Anthony’s 44%. Durant averages 4.4 assists per game compared to Anthony’s 2.6, and 7.9 rebounds to Anthony’s 6.4.

p0nder

Starter
Wow, please calm down.

Why? This is the best Knicks team ever put together and Melo is the most talented Knick ever. I've been a life long fan (longer then you) and I'm ****ing JACKED about it. All the tools are there for this team to go all the way and I can see it happening just as I described. So why would I "calm down"??? This is our year.

Kiyaman

Legend
Metro .... u was wrong for makin this Post LMAO

These stats were taken from the Forbes article "Melo is the most overpaid player in the NBA". Not quite sure you can say Melo is better, he may be having a better year and I bet 25 out of 30 GMs choose KD over Melo if they could pick a player.
Durant gets his points taking four fewer shots per game than Anthony does (18 vs. 22). He shoots 50.5% from the floor to Anthony’s 44%. Durant averages 4.4 assists per game compared to Anthony’s 2.6, and 7.9 rebounds to Anthony’s 6.4.

:agreed:
u are absolutely right .. Melo & Durant are two different types of players.
Being a Knicks-Fans, and Carmel being a Knicks .. does not mean LIE for the sake of the Knicks.
its not that personal.

Durant is a better teammate than Melo (70/30)

Both Melo & Durant were drafted by deep bottom teams .. their career growth, and the team growth, put the two players in different worlds.
Durant actually built his team from ground-up with young teammates, and a fresh first season NBA headcoach.
Durant skills n talents advance each season along with the advancement of his team postseason appearance.

Melo was given young experience postseason star players to advance the growth of his team, somehow Melo's team consistently got swept in the first round.
D.Wade & Lebron James was put in the same circumstance as Durant & Melo coming into the NBA.
Somehow under their rookie contract Lebron / D.Wade / and Durant visit the NBA FINALS...

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Why? This is the best Knicks team ever put together and Melo is the most talented Knick ever. I've been a life long fan (longer then you) and I'm ****ing JACKED about it. All the tools are there for this team to go all the way and I can see it happening just as I described. So why would I "calm down"??? This is our year.

Please calm down. You're probably like 12 lifelong for u is since the frank williams era. I've been a fan for 2 decades. Anyway. U just said this is the best knicks team ever assembled. that claim would belong to our beloved knicks team to win the chip... I hope your right, they have the potential too. But say they lose in the ecf then how are they the best team ever assembled. Listen i hope you're right but let them prove it. Like they haven't won anything. I'd prefer someone with you're passion over a pessimist who wants our best players traded any day tho. I hope you're right but easy on the gas there.

Munchen13

Benchwarmer
The really weird thing is that nobody was saying that melo is better than durant before this streak !!

This means that knicks fans don't really appreciate their stars and don't have the needed faith in them.

Actually, new yorkers are always harsh when it comes to their teams, they easily turn their back on them when they have a rough period of time.

It's a fact, most of you all didn't have faith in melo before, saying that he's a one dimensional star, some didnt even call him a super star!!

I understand why, i get it, but you guys should have more faith even when the team fukcs up.

I still remember the comments i read about melo when he left the huddle during a time-out no more than a month ago and you guys RAPED him with some nasty comments.

Yes he wasn't that wise, but come on, have some faith and dont just change your thoughts that easily.

Some of what melo did was childish, but he proved that he has the mentality of a superstar who can play offense and defense, we saw that at the beginning of the season, so please REMEMBER THAT!

Melo for the scoring title, JR for 6th man of the year.

CA7

Scoring Champ
1. Carmelo does everything besides shoot better than Durant
2. Durant is protective of his stats so he wont take difficult shots so **** FG% at this point
3. Durant averages more assists but Carmelo is a better passer, he likely leads the league in hockey assists

and last but not least Carmelo is the only guy in the league right now who can take down the Miami empire, if there's one player LeBron cant handle its Carmelo

CA7

Scoring Champ
Also no one has supported Melo like I have since I joined, I remember guys saying take his dick out my mouth, I'm ass ****ing him and all that other bull**** and now look, dude got us a Division Title, #2 seed and out best shot at a title since Prime Pat

So **** D'Antoni, Lin and everyone who doubted Melo when I was one of the few who said he was Elite and would give us an era to remember