Plea to the Knicks: Trade Novak

Wargames

Starter
Novak is typical regular season guy. Come play off time and he is invisible.

Yeah. The Knicks might trade him but realistically his game and that contract makes him a perfect piece to add onto a bigger deal as a way to match salaries. I like Novak but who knows maybe we do it just to try to pay JR more. Maybe we keep him because he does open games up during the regular season and usually
Is really helpful for drawing out a defender for tiger pick and roll. I leave it up to grunnie to decide. One thing you got to realize.

DrB

Benchwarmer
FG% .414
1.8 Three Point Makes
4.3 Three Point Attempts
6.6 pts/gm

We’re paying a guy 4 million dollars who has no impact on the game whatsoever. His value comes in the form of 3pt makes and he’s only giving us about 2 of those a game and that number gets even smaller in the postseason. I’m just not sure why we need to keep a guy on the bench who can only do one thing; and that one thing can be mitigated by just staying in front of him. Game 2 was a perfect example of how his value is nullified too easily to justify his salary. Sometime in the 3rd quarter with a double digit lead, Woodson decides to play Novak. This quickly leads to a Celtics 6-0 run and Novak is immediately replaced. Keep in mind that the shots were made by Crawford, who was being loosely guarded by NOVAK!

I just don’t see why the FO can’t put Novak on the trading block and see what offers we get. I mean we don’t need his two 3s per game to be good. Hell, he’s really only effective against the crappy teams anyway. I’d be just fine replacing him with a 35% 3 point shooter and tough defender with slashing ability. He’s also the reason why JR Smith will want at least 6-7 mil as a base salary next season. I’m sure we can deal with a team loaded with PGs SF or PFs.

For those of you who adore Novak, I employ you to think about our real needs. A stand still sometimes knock down shooter isn’t one of them. Sure, in a Dantoni system he’s fine but this version of the Knicks have gone back to their roots and are defensive minded. The Celtics don’t even use Courtney Lee. I’d trade Novak for him in a second!

Thoughs/Opinions?
Huge understandable error hiring but not the $ which was rediculous. By the way Camby got some huge money...and he sucks healthy.
Novak is no RAY ALLEN....but the thought was he would spread the floor and also prevent double teams was the thinking. Why 4 million dollars is a whole other story???????????. Novak can't get his shot off even during the the regular season in many games much less at crunch time or during the playoffs. Add to that he's as SOFT as soft can be on defense. So we now know Novak also is not set up by his teamates...few double screens designed by WOODSON and he can't create off the dribble. He just should be a role player getting 25% of that salary and playing in garbage time or 12 min max per game against under .500% teams. No team will take NOVAK and his CONTRACT. If he were less likeable I would just have said Novak SUCKS.

Rob Low

Rotation player
We gotta find a way to get rid of Amare, Novak, and Camby this summer. That's like 30 mill in salaries we can use to sign CP3 and a starting 4

Hahahah. I'm not disagreeing with anyone's points here. But I must say its hysterical that only a Knicks fan would create a plea to trade a player thread amidst a first round playoff series against a rival we are up 2-0 on.

Again I agree w all points.

Just had to say it.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

DrB

Benchwarmer
Hahahah. I'm not disagreeing with anyone's points here. But I must say its hysterical that only a Knicks fan would create a plea to trade a player thread amidst a first round playoff series against a rival we are up 2-0 on.

Again I agree w all points.

Just had to say it.

I can only speak for myself and I have on the issue of NOVAK. Having said that I am addressing why this came up NOW. 1. We were not 2 games up when Novak entered game 2, Knicks up 12 only to see his crappy DEFENSE lead to Crawford scoring 3 straight baskets on the the TWIG Novak who was immediately seated by Woodson with me and most Knick fans saying he's earned his way out of the rotation at playoff time. 2. Not only do I see every Knick game I review the video's as well. Tell me about a clutch basket in crunch time this season by Novak. Do you know how many games he put up between a GOOSE EGG and 3 points. Put your phone to rest unless you want to defend keeping Novak and his 4 million dollar contract from the point of view of a knowledge fan. I have footage of him running off the court of defense, going through the hand up MATADOR defense the no foot work "softtee" is famous for as he watches his opponent score. Alas, I never do agree with many of your POSTS but I could not let this one go..DERICK. So send me back a nasty response just to show me your basketball illiteracy or NOT. Glad to know know you are what the proto typical KNICK fan should be.

bigapple

Starter
why u want CP3 only that he is very close friend to MELO ? look @ game 3 clippers grizzlies and check his stats 5 Tos just 8 pts 4 fouls 0-2 3pt

i will trade STAT WHITE COPELAND for Curry much more talented.

Knicks already gave up alot for MELO biggest loos was Wilson.Wilson once shot 31 to help beat heat once @ msg with laundry Folds Douglas

I can only speak for myself and I have on the issue of NOVAK. Having said that I am addressing why this came up NOW. 1. We were not 2 games up when Novak entered game 2, Knicks up 12 only to see his crappy DEFENSE lead to Crawford scoring 3 straight baskets on the the TWIG Novak who was immediately seated by Woodson with me and most Knick fans saying he's earned his way out of the rotation at playoff time. 2. Not only do I see every Knick game I review the video's as well. Tell me about a clutch basket in crunch time this season by Novak. Do you know how many games he put up between a GOOSE EGG and 3 points. Put your phone to rest unless you want to defend keeping Novak and his 4 million dollar contract from the point of view of a knowledge fan. I have footage of him running off the court of defense, going through the hand up MATADOR defense the no foot work "softtee" is famous for as he watches his opponent score. Alas, I never do agree with many of your POSTS but I could not let this one go..DERICK. So send me back a nasty response just to show me your basketball illiteracy or NOT. Glad to know know you are what the proto typical KNICK fan should be.

Dude. What are you even talking about. I didn't disgree with your post at all weirdo. Are you okay. If you need to talk let me know. All I said was its funny. Only a Knicks fan would create a posT like this. And that I agree with everything you said. Lol. This is hysterical. I was simply stating how passionate Knicks fans are that up 3-0 we still find something to knit pick. You know damn well no one in Miami is discussing trade mike miller in forums lol. You gotta relax dude. Go outside and hit a tree with a bat or.something I don't care. Just relaxx

zwickks

Benchwarmer
why u want CP3 only that he is very close friend to MELO ? look @ game 3 clippers grizzlies and check his stats 5 Tos just 8 pts 4 fouls 0-2 3pt

wow, youre insane. how could any team not want Chris Paul. your opions and pathetic English hurt my head

nyk_nyk

All Star
I've always felt this way baout Novak. I just finally had the time to make a thread about him. The playoffs were used as an example because that was the most up to date info to reference. Truthfully, you could reference most games he plays and find a reason why he shouldbe traded for a two way player.

My biggest point was that two 3s per game just isn't enough to justify his salary and putrid defense. He doesn't really add value other than spreading the floor, but does that really make a big difference since we don't even have a post game? Copeland shows that he can score from the 3 all the way to the paint but still can't surpass Novak on the depth chart. Mind boggling.

metrocard

Legend
I've always felt this way baout Novak. I just finally had the time to make a thread about him. The playoffs were used as an example because that was the most up to date info to reference. Truthfully, you could reference most games he plays and find a reason why he shouldbe traded for a two way player.

My biggest point was that two 3s per game just isn't enough to justify his salary and putrid defense. He doesn't really add value other than spreading the floor, but does that really make a big difference since we don't even have a post game? Copeland shows that he can score from the 3 all the way to the paint but still can't surpass Novak on the depth chart. Mind boggling.

yes, it is mindboggling.

Copeland needs some playing time especially against the Pacers.

Didn't Copeland play well against them last time or am I mistaken? I didnt do my research on that.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
We gotta find a way to get rid of Amare, Novak, and Camby this summer. That's like 30 mill in salaries we can use to sign CP3 and a starting 4
Get rid of Amare? You crazy. He's with us for better or worse. I doubt we will be able to trade him at this time because of his hefty price tag and his health liability. Amare will be back and much better. I'm sure he will put up all star numbers. Melo trusts Stat with scoring more than anyone else in the team. They just need more playing time together to gel. Felton is a really good point guard and just what the Knicks needed. Stat will do just fine with him at PG. It would be nice to have CP3 at PG but Felton is just so much cheaper and almost as good. Ray is obviously not the same caliber as CP3 but he isn't far behind at all. They are both pass first PG's that can score. CP3 is definitely the better passer but their ball handling and scoring are really similar IMO. CP3 might be a little better but the price jump isn't worth it. I think the difference is like 13.5 Million per year!

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
Get rid of Amare? You crazy. He's with us for better or worse. I doubt we will be able to trade him at this time because of his hefty price tag and his health liability. Amare will be back and much better. I'm sure he will put up all star numbers. Melo trusts Stat with scoring more than anyone else in the team. They just need more playing time together to gel. Felton is a really good point guard and just what the Knicks needed. Stat will do just fine with him at PG. It would be nice to have CP3 at PG but Felton is just so much cheaper and almost as good. Ray is obviously not the same caliber as CP3 but he isn't far behind at all. They are both pass first PG's that can score. CP3 is definitely the better passer but their ball handling and scoring are really similar IMO. CP3 might be a little better but the price jump isn't worth it. I think the difference is like 13.5 Million per year!

Not sure what you're responding to. This thread is about Novak.

Please re-read.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

All of the things you put in this post re CP3 are just ludicrous. He's MUCH better than Felton. Def worth every penny. It would be so much better for this team to have CP3 instead of STAT.

skisloper

Starter
AGREED! most playoff teams play good D, that's how they got there.
nullifying Novakaine's 3-pt shooting makes him useless.
trade him, free up some dough and sign JR next year.

Lets see how JR finishes the playoffs before we look to sign him.....remember not about regular season its about crunch time and what happens....his silly elbow, partying the night before the game and his inability to hustle back in game 5 is what got us to a 6 game series with the celtics.....which in turn lead to Melo having his shoulder hurt by KG

Paul1355

All Star
I agree. Novak sucks and he is a waste of 4 million dollars. Novak would only be effective with teams like the Miami Heat because they have superstars that drive to the hoop at will and ball handle well. The Knicks have basically one ball handler in Felton so Novak never gets open shots. Plus Novak is an embarassment because teams put their point guards on him and he is 6'10. He never shoots with guys guarding him close and he doesn't pump fake enough or shoot long 2 pointers. He doesn't play defense and sucks at rebounding. AND he gets more minutes than Copeland which I still to this day dont understand. He is not worth 4 million and we should dump him asap.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I will be the lone person to disagree I guess. I like Novak. Always have. This year his his shooting percentage is down, but I would argue he's still one of the 5 best shooters in the league. his percentages is down because when Mike Woodson took over, he took away crucial plays which made Novak successful. Novak should be part of pick and rolls/pick and pops at the very least ONCE a game, a couple of screens for the man please. I mean you put him out there and have him just waiting for a pass that rarely comes, is ridiculous play calling. I blame Woodson for not finding plays to run for him, and I truly believe an offensive minded assistant coach is in order for next season. His defense is bad yes, but the point some made during this discussion about crawford scoring the points on him is funny to me. listen, Crawford is a shooting guard, he's 6'5. For the most part a 6'5 guard would beat a 6'10 forward off the dribble 70% of the time.

Look, I know he's not a great defender, but I think he's serviceable enough especially if he's hitting his shot. I think if you put the man in a position to do that, he will open up the court and make it much easier for the team to score.