Is this lack of scoring a concern for anyone?

KnickfanaticinGA

Benchwarmer
First off we can all agree that the Knicks are playing great basketball right now and at the right time. Last night's game was a great all around team effort. Even with the ejection of JR and all the hype surrounding Bean towns tragedy we cam out and opened a can of whoop-azz on em.
But here is an interesting fact. We ended the season with an exact 100.0 scoring avg. Defensively we were at 95.7 Throughout the first 3 games we scored 85,87,90 points for an avg. of 87.3 And the defense?...Well it was great at 78,71,76 for a even 75 avg.
Miami coincidentally, avg. 102.9 vs. 95 for the regular season but their first 3 games avg. 104 vs. 88

We are not scoring a lot of points. Sure we went up a little each game but I am concerned that 90 points is not going to cut it in round 2 and certainly not for the ECF or Finals. The defense is right on and no issues with that but don't we need to score a little more? (Insert my need for STAT in round 2-3).

metrocard

Legend
Well considering we've played great at this pace and much better (12-13 point differential). There is no concern at all and it's great because we can only get better offensively from here.

I rather see the Knicks play better defense than offense because we know we can score the ball, question is how well we can defend and I believe Knicks have the pieces to be the most imposing defensie team in the NBA.

T.O Knick

Benchwarmer
Celtic's offense maybe an utter shambles but they still know how to D up.

Also Knicks are not looking to play run and gun ball, they're running proper sets, moving the ball, trying to get everyone one involved.

Love seeing the boys not tossing up silly shots 5-8 seconds into the shot clock.

NY_Swagger

Benchwarmer
I'm not concerned. We had the lead for most of the games and used up a lot of the 24sec clock because of this. When we were down in game 1 and needed quick points, the offensive ran quicker to take the lead with the defense creating turnovers.

tiger0330

Legend
The playoffs are notorious for being lower scoring than the regular season.

The refs aren't as quick to blow a whistle as in the regular season resulting in fewer FT's and less points.

The defensive intensity also goes up a notch because of the chance of not getting called for a foul because of the playoff officiating and teams by and large play half court bball in the playoffs and will go deeper into the shot clock moving the ball looking for a better shot.

Kiyaman

Legend
u r absolutely right .. our scoring have to be spreaded out a helluvalot more in the 2nd round vs Indiana .. and our defense have to step-up to a level it havnt played yet this season vs Indiana scorers George Hill, Paul George, West, Hansborough, and 7.2 double-double Hibbert .. we can not sleep on DJ Augustine & Lance Stephenson in the backcourt.

Our 1-2 scoring-punch of Melo & JR will only be half of the offense to beat Indiana Pacers defense ..
we will need Camby or Amare in the bigman rotation with Tyson & Martin to add inside scoring.
Melo have to play 30 minutes at SF per game in this series, we dont want West averaging 20 pts per being defended by Melo.
especially when Paul George will need a 6.9 defender in his face throughout the series (Melo & Copeland).
JR & Shump will have their hands filled defending George Hill throughout the series.

We may be 2-2 with Pacers in the regular season games butt .. in a series the Pacers are playing team-ball with great backup depth off the bench exposing weakness in every position on the Atlanta Hawks. The Pacers 4 bigmen rotation along with Green & Paul at SF will force us to play 48 minutes of ISO-Ball on offense, which is given Atlanta one shot on offense .. we do not want to be force 2 go backwards in time in this series.

Last edited:
I honestly believe we are so brainwashed into watching mike dantoni speed ball the last few years we haven't had the chance to watch a coach. Coach real playoff basketball. The idea is to not exert as much energy on the offensive end and put all your endurance into defense. Slow it down and run sets to make the other defense work. The Celtics are chasing the Knicks all over the place and they don't have the legs to keep up. Watch the spurs. Bulls. Heat. Pacers. They all slow it down and run half court sets. That's how you make it deep into the playoffs. Run and gun will only get you so far.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

Number3

Benchwarmer
as long as we are playing great defense.. the scoring will come along with it.. idk if its because Boston doesn't have a PG but Felton has been big for us... We shall see against the Pacers.....OYEA and AMARES RETURN.. another scoring option.. POST GAME ..what we need instead of relying on someone having a hot hand

DrB

Benchwarmer
They BANG AND WE MUST bang BACK...

I HAD WRITTEN A POST THAT INDIANA WAS A BUNCH OF THUGS...and someone responded that they were just playing playoff basketball. This was in the last game against them in the regular season.
I looked at the JR replay on the elbow to TERRY. Had it been lower to the floor no problemo but it was an upward thrust to the head ala Metta World PUTZ's elbow to Harden's head. So yes we need the bigs...if just to be ENFORCERS.
We will beat Indiana ...we can beat Miami but there's allota IF'S.
I agree the scoring will come as the Knicks shooting has not been stellar..it can only get better.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I'll say this we need to involve shumpert more on the offensive end. He's looking great so far in the playoffs and if we get him more looks and minutes I think we can become even more rounded as far as the perimeter play goes. And the sleeper to me and the ultimate reason why -i think- well make the finals, amare stoudemire. His post play will tremendously help us when we face Mia considering they have none. But till then for the intern I wanna see shump get the looks on offense more

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bigapple

Starter
i still think Knicks can be faster watching to slooooooowly coming after 8sec violation and then another 8 secos for dribbling

other teams just making pass into paint of jump shots Knicks cant be fast & faggots 6 but really ball movement should be a bit faster.

btw i saw 1st flopp from prigion in 4th q

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We score a low number of points because we're one of the slowest paced teams in the league.

I don't understand what it is with us Knicks fans. We had a close game one where Melo didn't play well and the other two games we've had an extremely comfortable time against an aging but very experienced squad, and we still find things to complain about?

In 2008 we couldn't stop complaining about how D'Antoni was only good at running up the score and getting the score into the 120's every single game and killing our players and all that sort of stuff...now that we're playing slow-paced NY-style basketball focused on ball movement and executing set plays as opposed to simply running and taking jump shorts in transition (from Chris Duhon, no less), I, for one, am much happier, because I honestly do not think the run-and-gun style of basketball can really win you a championship the way D'Antoni ran it.

Nothing to worry about. You know what tells a lot more than the amount of points you score per game? Your offensive rating, which measures the number of points you score per 100 possessions. We're 3rd in the league behind Miami and Oklahoma. Our offense is fine. Let's also not forget that if other teams choose to turn up the tempo, we'll murder them. Unless anyone really thinks that they'd rather have Raymond Felton playing in a fast-paced system.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
First of all, the Bucks play a more uptempo game. The Celtics rarely push the ball and the Knicks are sometimes content by slowing the pace. I wouldn't compare what the heat are doing against the bucks as a proxy of offensive efficiency. We are playing a team that plays a totally different style.

Yes, I'm a little concerned. The Knicks, for about 15% of every game, don't move on offense. They watch Melo and he just goes to work, even if he missed his last 6 shots. The Knicks X-factor is Felton. When he plays well, the Knicks almost always win because that usually means there are 2 other players that are playing better than usual. Felton opens the game up when he plays well. Melo can play great, but doesn't impact others as well. Also, Felton makes it 200% easier for Melo. he gets much easier looks. There needs to be a better balance. Also, what happens to the pick and rolls. Knicks can go away from it from about 7 or 8 minutes straight. I think they need a loss to learn and not get ****y.