Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ball movement vs. Iso melo? Question for you BALLERS in the know.

I think ultimately for Melo to have major success as a primary option, he needs to be paired with a top 10 pg with great decision making ability. Part of the issue is no one on this team will deny Melo a shot even if it isn't the right play at that moment. We need a pg that will take full control and make those decisions based on the temperature of the game. This is not a knock on Felton. I actually like him but if Melo is going to be at his best, he needs to be teamed with a PG who isn't afraid to run the team and sometimes deny Melo in the best interest of the team.

I can envision a PG waiving off Melo in favor of running a PnR with TC based on a particular matchup or because he sees the help defender isn't closing out well. I can also envision a PG choosing to exploit Shump's corner shooting ability and not allowing him to cool down when he's got it going. I can also envision a PG makinig sure Melo gets the ball in his sweet spots when its crunch time.

^I.E. you envision CP3 lol

Veteran

Originally Posted by skisloper
    When the Ball moves the Knicks win........How can you actually argue the point the lack of ball movement is on anyone but JR and Melo...
    Are u watching what we are watching,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Coaches must laugh when we go to Iso ball.....

ISO ball teams are well aware Melo or Jr will hold the ball and shoot. The rest of the defense gets to stand around and focus on the rebound and whoever is not guarding Melo/JR can break down the court....
    It is so F'ckin Predictable do you not see that...........
    If a kid was coaching he would say Give Melo the ball at let him shoot....this is what Woodson does,,,,

Ball movement wins games..........move the ball make the opponents guys work on defense........

Please do not use " who should melo pass it too "
    Put Durant or Lebron in Melo's shoes and I promise you they will find the open man.....

Melo is capable but he becomes almost like a scorned kid who needs to prove to the other team he can beat them for that basket no matter what cost to the game,,,,,,,,,

Melo wants to win but he sometimes does not see the forest from the tree's
    I am watching the same game which is why I am asking WHO????? How about answering the question. Who in tomorrow's starting lineup would you rather take the majority of the shots over Melo???? And while you are at it answer this me this: Who took all the shots when Lebron was in Cleveland???? It's easy to pass the ball when you have 2 HOF's and a perennial all-star to drop the ball off(Wade/Bosh/Ray Allen)to?????

Originally Posted by The Beatmaker
    Hello KO,

This is my first posting but I've been following for quite some time now. Honestly, I had so many issues getting my account approved to post messages I gave up and just read a lot of the posts (just as entertaining).
    Welcome to KO, buddy! What problems did you have with your account? I usually approve all registrations that are not duplicated within just 2-3 days

Veteran

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    I disagree. You're simplifying it too much. Sharing the ball opens up opportunities for everyone PLUS it helps Melo get easier shots which can occur in motion. I believe Melo's talent warrants a certain amount of iso opportunities per game, but it needs to be a reason for it (possibly a mismatch). It can't just be any random moment when Melo feels like it. We've seen on many occasions that this team is tough to defend when shots are coming from all over the court. Defenses that don't have to switch and react to anything are always going to be strong.

Example: Melo posts up and Felton takes about 4 sec to lob it in to him. At this point its about 8-10 sec left on the clock. If a team knows Melo isn't going to pass, they can load up on one side and make sure his lanes to the basket are all covered. Melo might hit a jumpshot, but the problem is against George it will be a tough shot most likely forced. Not smart basketball. This also takes teammates out the game offensively and gives IND more energy on offense.
    I think it's too simple to blame Melo every time we lose. You know why Hibbert has the luxury of camping out under the basket and throwing a block party???? Because Hibbert's KNICK counterpart(Tyson Chandler) is a total-non factor on the offensive side of the ball. No one is talking about how badly Tyson played yesterday because its all on Melo. Which is why Melo takes the shots because he knows the media and the sheeplike fans who listen to the talking heads will blame him win or lose. Same mentality that Kobe had. You lose with the ball in the hands of your best player, not role players.

Veteran

Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    I am watching the same game which is why I am asking WHO????? How about answering the question. Who in tomorrow's starting lineup would you rather take the majority of the shots over Melo???? And while you are at it answer this me this: Who took all the shots when Lebron was in Cleveland???? It's easy to pass the ball when you have 2 HOF's and a perennial all-star to drop the ball off(Wade/Bosh/Ray Allen)to?????

I would rather see Shumpert, Felton, Prig, Copeland, Kidd, JR , TC if they are open........
    The point is simple IF AND IF we move the Ball that will create open looks...

Melo does not need to get the ball and Hold it and then post up.......Ball Movement.......why is that such a tough concept to understand.....Look at Game 6 against the Celtics when we moved the Ball.....

Melo does play this way sometimes and when he does he looks as good as NBA player...when he doesnt its simple Joe Johnson and we will not win that way.....

Melo is a beast on the boards sometimes but when he is doing ISO and taking jump shots hes not getting those boards,,,,,,,,

Let me ask you this......If you were coaching melo....what would u tell him ...
    a. Play ISO
    B move the ball

In the end we want melo shooting but not 1 on 1 play for 22 seconds.

Veteran

I would rather see Shumpert, Felton, Prig, Copeland, Kidd, JR , TC if they are open........
    The point is simple IF AND IF we move the Ball that will create open looks...

Melo does not need to get the ball and Hold it and then post up.......Ball Movement.......why is that such a tough concept to understand.....Look at Game 6 against the Celtics when we moved the Ball.....

Melo does play this way sometimes and when he does he looks as good as NBA player...when he doesnt its simple Joe Johnson and we will not win that way.....

Melo is a beast on the boards sometimes but when he is doing ISO and taking jump shots hes not getting those boards,,,,,,,,

Let me ask you this......If you were coaching melo....what would u tell him ...
    a. Play ISO
    B move the ball

In the end we want melo shooting but not 1 on 1 play for 22 seconds.

If you put Lebron in Melo's shoes I am sure he would find the answer you are looking for......
    I am in awe that u accept what Melo does as opposed to what he actually could do

Veteran

If you put Lebron in Melo's shoes I am sure he would find the answer you are looking for......
    I am in awe that u accept what Melo does as opposed to what he actually could do
    Lebron was in Melo's shoes, IN CLEVELAND, which is why after years of beating his head against the wall with no help Lebron decided to take his talents to South Beach. I am in awe of what Melo does on a nightly basis in a KNICK uniform. That's what you Melo-Iso-haters should be in awe of with little to no help. You would rather have a 35 year old rookie or a second year player a month back from a major injury taking shots rather than the reigning NBA scoring champ???? First Knick to win the scoring title since HOF Bernard King??? It's a simple as that. If I am coaching, I am going down with the ball in the hands of my star, not 35 year old rooks. It's up to the role players to move without the ball and knockdown shots when available. Looks at the basket have to be earned so its player movement, THEN you swing the ball. Melo holds to try to draw a double or create a mismatch, but he has no trouble getting his own shot. 35 year old rookies do, which is why they are 35 year old rookies.

Veteran

Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Lebron was in Melo's shoes, IN CLEVELAND, which is why after years of beating his head against the wall with no help Lebron decided to take his talents to South Beach. I am in awe of what Melo does on a nightly basis in a KNICK uniform. That's what you Melo-Iso-haters should be in awe of with little to no help. You would rather have a 35 year old rookie or a second year player a month back from a major injury taking shots rather than the reigning NBA scoring champ???? First Knick to win the scoring title since HOF Bernard King??? It's a simple as that. If I am coaching, I am going down with the ball in the hands of my star, not 35 year old rooks. It's up to the role players to move without the ball and knockdown shots when available. Looks at the basket have to be earned so its player movement, THEN you swing the ball. Melo holds to try to draw a double or create a mismatch, but he has no trouble getting his own shot. 35 year old rookies do, which is why they are 35 year old rookies.

Dude you just dont get it.
    How was Melo's surroundings in Denver ?

We all agree Melo is a great scorer.........
    is he a Great Defender ? is the answer no because he is not capable OR no because some games he just doesnt put all the effort in ???

U BTW are 100% right,,,,in ISO play I want Melo...
    Melo and any team he is on will NEVER win with ISO play......I wish you could see that...

are u watching the Heat game ...Lebron is mic'ed up....First words.....: just keep the ball moving keep it moving "

safe bet Melo have never uttered those words.

Banned

is he a Great Defender ? is the answer no because he is not capable OR no because some games he just doesnt put all the effort in ???

Melo and any team he is on will NEVER win with ISO play......I wish you could see that...

are u watching the Heat game ...Lebron is mic'ed up....First words.....: just keep the ball moving keep it moving "

Real Talk 101

Also, Lebron's record in Cleveland was amazing. WTF is this CHIEF talking about?

Lebron lead ragtag groups to the best record in the NBA, to the NBA finals, etc etc...and he did it against beastly opposition.

It's just foolish to debate this. Why make NYK's franchise player look bad by feebly comparing him to Lebron.

Inferiority Complex 101, imo

Veteran

Uhh yes I do. Melo had no help in Denver just like crybaby Bron in Cleveland. Difference is Melo came home to try to bring a title while crybaby left home and can't go back in fear they will burn his jersey while its still on his body. Speaking of Denver, seems it wasn't all Melo's fault as they lost in the first round AGAIN. And crybaby: let's see how much he " moves the ball" in a tight 4th quarter. MVP's are supposed to take these situations over.

Veteran

Originally Posted by ThunderThighs
    Real Talk 101

Also, Lebron's record in Cleveland was amazing. WTF is this CHIEF talking about?

Lebron lead ragtag groups to the best record in the NBA, to the NBA finals, etc etc...and he did it against beastly opposition.

It's just foolish to debate this. Why make NYK's franchise player look bad by feebly comparing him to Lebron.

Nooooooo, I must have missed all the chips crybaby won in Cleveland

Veteran

Originally Posted by ThunderThighs
    Real Talk 101

BTW u claim to bleed orange and blue yet u swingth from cry baby's nuts like the rest....hmmmm....do u ride Reggie miller, Timmy Hardaway, and Zo's nuts too???? Real talk

Veteran

Lets see iso plays for Lebron; 12 of Miami's 4th quarter points, told you so iso in the hands of your best player

Veteran

Now you see what happens when your best player stops shooting down the stretch in favor of "ball movement" crybaby loses