Down 3-1 to INDY might be only way to beat MIAMI

mafra

Legend
The Knicks played great the first 20 games, then they played well the last 20-something games to close the season. They were pretty bad the 40 games in the middle (where they played .500 BBAL).

The post season sort of mirrors that formula - The Knicks jumped out to a 3-0 series lead vs BOS. Then they almost stole game 4 in the first round, despite the absence of JR Smith (and a bad 'Melo), but Carmelo missed 3 FTs late, then the chance to win it...

Since then, they've played pretty poorly again. They won Game 6 despite bad JR/MELO, and a near collapse. They've been terrible this series, playing really only 1 solid quarter (the 4th quarter of Game 2). Never had a lead in INDY in Games 3 & 4.

It wouldn't surprise me if suddenly shots starting falling again. JR & Melo get hot. They win at home, then go on a roll... win in Indy and then take Game 7 and shoot their way into the CONF FINALS. It wouldn't just surprise me... it is entirely possible.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON IF SHOTS FALL. Simple as that. Carmelo and Smith will take their 40-50 shots... We need 20-30 of them to fall.

With that said... this team is 0-4 in Indy this year (Indy is 5-0 at home this post season); the Knicks have been pushed around all year by physical teams (CHI, MEM, INDY)... They've emotionally fallen apart when calls don't go their way)... They've lost 3 of their last 4 home games in the playoffs (so much for defending home court this season, which Woody was adamant about protecting); they've now lost 5 of their last 7 playoff games. BOS outplayed them in the first half of both Games 1 & 2...

To be honest... The Knicks have played well for how many quarters this post season? 1 quarter this series? 5 or 6 the previous series? This doesn't tell me we have a run in us... This tells me what most people (haters) said about the NYK were true, and that this team isn't built for the post season. You cannot rely on Smith & Melo, and Woody, and low % 3-point shots, on an old team that doesn't run or procur rebounds; a team that is emotional, has low BBALL IQ, and is quick to mentally crumble?

I'm fascinated to see how we respond. I almost feel like the only way this team could beat the HEAT, is for them to find a way to fight through a difficult situation like this first. You know, pressure makes diamonds sort of stuff.

If not, and this team isn't up for the task at hand... GOOD! Better to suffer this indignity than to go to Conf Finals and lose to MIA in 5 games and strut around the offseason in their mink coats acting like they won a title, accomplished something this season with their idiotic checkmarks.

This team will either get hot, hit shots, be the team we saw the first 20 games and the final 20 games. Or they will lose Thursday night and force changes & self-reflection.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
The Knicks played great the first 20 games, then they played well the last 20-something games to close the season. They were pretty bad the 40 games in the middle (where they played .500 BBAL).

The post season sort of mirrors that formula - The Knicks jumped out to a 3-0 series lead vs BOS. Then they almost stole game 4 in the first round, despite the absence of JR Smith (and a bad 'Melo), but Carmelo missed 3 FTs late, then the chance to win it...

Since then, they've played pretty poorly again. They won Game 6 despite bad JR/MELO, and a near collapse. They've been terrible this series, playing really only 1 solid quarter (the 4th quarter of Game 2). Never had a lead in INDY in Games 3 & 4.

It wouldn't surprise me if suddenly shots starting falling again. JR & Melo get hot. They win at home, then go on a roll... win in Indy and then take Game 7 and shoot their way into the CONF FINALS. It wouldn't just surprise me... it is entirely possible.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON IF SHOTS FALL. Simple as that. Carmelo and Smith will take their 40-50 shots... We need 20-30 of them to fall.

With that said... this team is 0-4 in Indy this year (Indy is 5-0 at home this post season); the Knicks have been pushed around all year by physical teams (CHI, MEM, INDY)... They've emotionally fallen apart when calls don't go their way)... They've lost 3 of their last 4 home games in the playoffs (so much for defending home court this season, which Woody was adamant about protecting); they've now lost 5 of their last 7 playoff games. BOS outplayed them in the first half of both Games 1 & 2...

To be honest... The Knicks have played well for how many quarters this post season? 1 quarter this series? 5 or 6 the previous series? This doesn't tell me we have a run in us... This tells me what most people (haters) said about the NYK were true, and that this team isn't built for the post season. You cannot rely on Smith & Melo, and Woody, and low % 3-point shots, on an old team that doesn't run or procur rebounds; a team that is emotional, has low BBALL IQ, and is quick to mentally crumble?

I'm fascinated to see how we respond. I almost feel like the only way this team could beat the HEAT, is for them to find a way to fight through a difficult situation like this first. You know, pressure makes diamonds sort of stuff.

If not, and this team isn't up for the task at hand... GOOD! Better to suffer this indignity than to go to Conf Finals and lose to MIA in 5 games and strut around the offseason in their mink coats acting like they won a title, accomplished something this season with their idiotic checkmarks.

This team will either get hot, hit shots, be the team we saw the first 20 games and the final 20 games. Or they will lose Thursday night and force changes & self-reflection.

We just need those 2 players shots to fall and it'll be a game 7. Like that simple but will it happen. Hopefully it does...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

metrocard

Legend
Who actually believes Indiana is going to beat the Knicks at home?

Indiana have a tough facing them too.

Knicks are deadly at home and we could shock the world.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@mafra: like your optimism... but let's face it, what are the odds we can actually win the series? How many times over the last 20 years did a team come back from being down 1-3? This series ain't over until it's over, but I'm trying to be realistic, this ship has sailed, it'd be great if we could force the series to G6 or even G7, but don't get your hopes too high folks, it's a lost case. It'd be great though if the Knicks were able to surprise me.

bigapple

Starter
Indiana will win @ MSG . Knicks lost chemistry. Tyson is not playing D anymore. JR is hitting bricks. MELO cant win alone he needs 2nd scorer. Palbo played 3 mins in game 4 this is joke.This is goodbye game

and even IF Knicks will win @ MSG Indiana will cose to 4-2 @ home.

Indiana have again nothing to tell with Miami speed Indiana have no shooting power against Heat.

Refs will help Hibbert will be foulded out easly

Heat will be in finals but i am keeping right now Memphis and GSW side.IF GSW will fall SPURS MEMPHIs will be stronger series than Indy heat.

tiger0330

Legend
I agree if the Knicks are the 9th team to come back to win a series after being down 3-1 that will be a tremendous psychological boost to beat Miami in the EC finals but winning game 4 would have been better. The team has been up and down all year with a hot start, mediocre middle of the season and a sensational ending. Unfortunately, we're not hitting shots right now showing how streaky a team that depends on the 3 ball can be. We need a reliable post player to give us points when the jumper isn't falling and maybe Amare can be that next year.

CA7

Scoring Champ
we just gotta get hot, the shots are there we gotta make them and ****ing rebound

DrB

Benchwarmer

Probably the best season and post season evaluation of the Knicks and far better than most Blog writers and Newspaper writers. Let me add that you must include the WHY. Because of the failure in the plan to secure old super stars on the cheap hoping they would give their play off experience and a few minutes on the court to push the core players over the top FAILED. Add to that there has been role reversal aganst the PACERS. Our D which has been a saviour comes in second the their D so far. The PACERS did not make 3's percentage wise like the Knicks during the regular season and now the numbers in that department have reversed. Lastly the Knicks are getting creamed on the boards allowing the pacers SECOND AND THIRD SHOT ATTEMPTS. But the ultimate reason is Knicks shots could not fall. This was no time to CHOKE..go cold call it what you will, the looks were there. JR says blame me, Woodson says no BLAME ME. Believe me Woodson coaching Miami would get a ring.
The Knicks might beat the PACERS tonight and I hope they do but clinching this Series would be tatamount to JR'S buzzer during the regular season...a miracle but not probable.

mafra

Legend
THANKS DrB...And exactly. Knicks are losing b/c of the 3-point shooting of Indy's back court, and the fact that 'Melo has come up small in the 4th quarter. Knicks were in a position to steal either Games 3 or 4 in the 4th, despite the poor shooting %, the turnovers and the disparity on the boards... But what's killing the rally is the clutch 3s Indy is hitting and the disappearance of Carmelo late in the game. KNICKS cannot allow 20 second chance points PLUS 8 three-pointers. Indy struggles to score... you have to take 1 of these away. I think going BIG is a failure on Woody's part. We won game 2 b/c we took the guards out of it. Knicks need to stay the course, play small... and stop doubling down on the bigs. TAKE AWAY THE THREE POINT SHOT from Indy. Concede the offensive rebounds, b/c Indy is going to get their share. Knicks need to hit their shots, take away the 3 from Indy and hope 'Melo shows up in the 4th. This means getting him some rest late 3rd or early 4th. Knicks are now "dead," and have been written off. Let's hope the pressure is off their shoulders, since now they have nothing to lose. See this opportunity as their ONE chance at a 2nd life... re-write the script.

metrocard

Legend
we just gotta get hot, the shots are there we gotta make them and ****ing rebound

You can say that about everyone in the playoffs.

If you think the style we play is effective then you're kidding yourself.

Knicks won't win basketball games by isolation or killing the ball.

bigapple

Starter
I agree if the Knicks are the 9th team to come back to win a series after being down 3-1 that will be a tremendous psychological boost to beat Miami in the EC finals but winning game 4 would have been better. The team has been up and down all year with a hot start, mediocre middle of the season and a sensational ending. Unfortunately, we're not hitting shots right now showing how streaky a team that depends on the 3 ball can be. We need a reliable post player to give us points when the jumper isn't falling and maybe Amare can be that next year.

That could be possible without your Crybaby era since this guy is in NBA this league have diffrent refs