Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Off-Season Keepers and Additions

^^ This, the concept of veteran small ball has failed.

Do you think Trey Thompkins, Jeremy Tyler and/or DeMarre Carroll could be signed???

Carroll is an energy player somewhat like what Landry Fields gave us...
    Tyler another athletic big man could learn a lot behind Martin (if Kenyon is re-signed)...
    Thompkins has a decent mid range game for PF (6'10" PF with a perimeter mid range game could develop nicely in rotation with Melo)...

Now, yes both Tyler and Thompkins have some injury issues, but would bring depth and energy to our bench...

I wanted to put in SF Terrence Williams but he is currently dealing with an off the field issue -- legal... Don't know how bad it is but this kid has enough to break the starting rotation along side Shumpert either play the SG or SF position... He would command $3 - $5 per but is capable of improving our starting 5...

Superstar

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Rady, you're slacking on not banning this lame idiot.
    Seriously.... Legit knicks fans have been banned for less trolling.... He's not a knick fan and obviously trolling but its being allowed. He has to go he isn't welcome.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Additions

Backup PG AJ Price mini mid level: poor man's Andre Miller nice backup PG type

Bigmen: Jerome Jordan, Draft Dieng (if on the board)

Vet FA's

Al Harrington: an invite to camp would be safe, he and Copeland would be redundant so if we bring back Cope can't see us going after him but if Cope bolts then I'd give him a call

Keepers

Kmart: Key contributor at the end of season, would excell with full season
    Q Rich: 2 way player who spreads the floor miss or make
    Priggs: fan and coach favorite
    JR: for the right price
    Copeland: I suspect he'll improve on D, if nothing else he'll continue to knock down shots.

Subtractions
    Kidd: no disrespect but times up
    Camby: not sure what happened but its time to part ways
    James White: gave us nothing

On the fence

Novak: not ready to cut him outright but I'd take a couple of 2nd rounders for him if one of the picks is in this year's draft. He's risky because one more season like this he'll be forgotten about and we are stuck with him and his contract.

Felton/Price/Priggs
    Shump/JR/Q
    Melo/Q Rich/Harrington or Cope
    Kmart/Stat/Cope or Harrington/Melo
    Tyson/Kmart/Deing/Jordan

subtle changes nothing too dramatic but we would be bigger and younger than this year's team while still being pretty deep.

2nd unit of Price,Jr,Q,Stat,Kmart would beat lottery bound teams and low seeded playoff teams in a 5 game series.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

How can you want to keep Q-Rich but not Kidd or Camby? Q-Rich hasn't done anything this season and he's only in the NBA because of what he did 5-6 years ago. his last 3 seasons have been trash, even defensively. He was never a good offensive player to begin with. An average 3pt shooter who took away too many shots for his skill.

Camby deserves another chance, he battled injuries all season long and teams who give up on him too early (us) he ends up playing well for another team. Plus, what back up C can you find better than Camby for the price you're able to get Camby?

and all this anti-Kidd nonsense needs to go.

He did play like crap majority of the 2nd half of the season...but when he played well, his play elevated the team. It made us the best defensive team we could possibly be. Kidd's defense against Boston was a factor in helping us get out of that series in game 6.

For a 3rd string PG/SG, Kidd is a great option.

How can you want to keep Q-Rich but not Kidd or Camby? Q-Rich hasn't done anything this season and he's only in the NBA because of what he did 5-6 years ago. his last 3 seasons have been trash, even defensively. He was never a good offensive player to begin with. An average 3pt shooter who took away too many shots for his skill.

Camby deserves another chance, he battled injuries all season long and teams who give up on him too early (us) he ends up playing well for another team. Plus, what back up C can you find better than Camby for the price you're able to get Camby?

and all this anti-Kidd nonsense needs to go.

He did play like crap majority of the 2nd half of the season...but when he played well, his play elevated the team. It made us the best defensive team we could possibly be. Kidd's defense against Boston was a factor in helping us get out of that series in game 6.

For a 3rd string PG/SG, Kidd is a great option.
    The descion not keep Kidd is not a slight to him in anyway but frankly he won't hold up another season this really was it. I'd love December November Kidd back but lets be realistic...plus how can you bash Felton and give blind support to Kidd?

Q Rich missing a whole season but staying in game shape is impressive, again he's a two way player (Shump is the only one of those we have) he'll be cheap...he can still grab boards...when Q was here last he was used wrong they allowed him to shoot a high volume, I propose using him as a decoy on offensive to draw guys off double teams while not compromising on D, not bad for a vet min

12th man

I believe Kidd does a lot on the court that doesn't show up in the stat sheet. I respect his veteran-ship and if you look at it, whatever team he plays on, they're a playoff contending team. No Kidd on the Mavs? They stink. No Kidd on the Nets? They stink

Yo Kiyaman, back me up here.

I believe Kidd does a lot on the court that doesn't show up in the stat sheet. I respect his veteran-ship and if you look at it, whatever team he plays on, they're a playoff contending team. No Kidd on the Mavs? They stink. No Kidd on the Nets? They stink

Yo Kiyaman, back me up here.
    I respect the intagiables, I really do, But the fact of the matter is that Kidd wore down as the season went on. This is not just about his cold shooting (only a fool thought he would continue to lead the league in 3pt shooting for the whole season) its that he became a bit of a liability.

Now you mention the drop off in Mavs and Nets play when he departed....now you know that the Kidd that left The Nets is not the Kidd that we inherited, they gave up a MVP type player for Devin Harris. So that's can't even be considered in this discussion.

And The Mavs lost more than just Kidd. Dirk was out for the start of the season and OJ Mayo was their franchise player and even when Dirk did return he looked rusty to say the very least! They rallied and nearly made the playoffs despite but I do not think Kidd would have made a difference this year for them.

Again, I really do appreciate what Kidd brings, but at this point he's Ewing on The Magic, Hakeem on The Raptors, Jordan on The Wizards, Pippen during his 2nd run with The Bulls or Malone on The Lakers...hell of career but its time to hang it up!

12th man

even with Dirk, Mavericks lost their identity. Kidd orchestrated that team offensively and defensively.

Kidd has digressed, but not enough for us to give up on him. Plus his contract doesn't expire.

He's a great 2nd/3rd string PG.

Pablo is staying him here too.

It's best if we package Felton/Chandler to free up some cap space and draft a rookie PG to learn under Kidd/Prigioni. That'll be the most ideal situation for us.

We're wasting time and money with Felton. He's already shown what he's capable of us and has played to his limit. Felton played the worst defense all season long and turned it up for the series against the Celtics. Offensively, most of the time he doesn't know when the score or pass...his passing creativity is limited. We need a Rubio type facilitator and a Kemba Walker type creator.

Knicks trade
    Tyson Chandler
    Raymond Felton
    Earl Barron
    2013 #24 pick(draft Tony Mitchell)
    2014 first round pick

OKC trades
    Kendrick Perkins
    Serge Ibaka
    Thabo Sefalosha
    2013 #12 pick (Draft Schroeder)

OKC
    Westbrook/Felton/Fisher
    Martin/Jackson/Lamb
    Durant/Brewer/Jones III
    Collison/Mitchell/Orton
    Chandler/Thabeet/Barron

Knicks

Prigioni/Schroeder/Kidd
    Shumpert/Sefalosha
    Anthony/Copeland/Novak
    Martin/Stoudimire
    Ibaka/Camby/Perkins

even with Dirk, Mavericks lost their identity. Kidd orchestrated that team offensively and defensively.

Kidd has digressed, but not enough for us to give up on him. Plus his contract doesn't expire.

He's a great 2nd/3rd string PG.

Pablo is staying him here too.

It's best if we package Felton/Chandler to free up some cap space and draft a rookie PG to learn under Kidd/Prigioni. That'll be the most ideal situation for us.

We're wasting time and money with Felton. He's already shown what he's capable of us and has played to his limit. Felton played the worst defense all season long and turned it up for the series against the Celtics. Offensively, most of the time he doesn't know when the score or pass...his passing creativity is limited. We need a Rubio type facilitator and a Kemba Walker type creator.

Knicks trade
    Tyson Chandler
    Raymond Felton
    Earl Barron
    2013 #24 pick(draft Tony Mitchell)
    2014 first round pick

OKC trades
    Kendrick Perkins
    Serge Ibaka
    Thabo Sefalosha
    2013 #12 pick (Draft Schroeder)

OKC
    Westbrook/Felton/Fisher
    Martin/Jackson/Lamb
    Durant/Brewer/Jones III
    Collison/Mitchell/Orton
    Chandler/Thabeet/Barron

Knicks

Prigioni/Schroeder/Kidd
    Shumpert/Sefalosha
    Anthony/Copeland/Novak
    Martin/Stoudimire
    Ibaka/Camby/Perkins
    I really like the idea of Ibaka and Martin on the court at the same time but removing Felton and leaving Pablo and Kidd to run the team for 82 games leads to another season falling short. Neither one of those guys can do it all season long in terms of getting inside the defense and creating for others(while being a threat themselves & guarding CP3, DWill, even George Hill) over the long run... that leads to relying on Shump and Melo to do a lot of playmaking and as we've seen this can become repetitive after a while with Woodson in control.

Maybe idk enough about this Schroeder kid but from the small bit of video i've seen on him he has potential and reminds me of a sloppier Rondo with a slightly better jump shot.

The point of this offseason is to make Melo's job easier. We need a balanced attack from ALL ANGLES. Look at Indiana... Quick young PGs... aggressive "put your head down and go" SG's... One SF who plays on all sides of the ball (scores, rebounds, assist, steals), A bully PF and an oversized Center who merely has to be tall and somewhat coordinated.

I really like this trade and lineup but the PG's gotta go or set up in a way where Pablo is our second or third option. Otherwise you gotta hope Shump becomes an agressive monster and Cope turns into a Mini-Melo.
    Last edited by MSGhobo247; May 28, 2013 at 09:46.

12th man

I believe Pablo > Felton, Pablo in his 2nd year in the NBA, you will see him make a lot more passes with confidence and take more open shots. That would compliment Melo more than Felton's indecisiveness.

In addition, Pablo is about 10 levels above Felton on defense. Added to the fact Pablo starting, Knicks have their best winning %.

How often do we see Pablo communicate with the guys? It's all the time, especially on defense.

Felton tends to get lazy on both sides of the ball and disappears. Felton is a capable of scoring 20 points and getting 8 assist, but his consistency and tendency levels are low...it's always been like that since his rookie season in Charlotte.

Felton is a rental player...not a guy who would fit in a championship formula....let's be honest with ourselves...what is Felton's major role? It's definitely not the floor general because he doesn't possess those type of offensive skills. He isn't Tony Parker. How would Felton fit on a team like the Spurs? or even Miami even though they have PG's lesser in talent, but how would Felton fit? His spot up shooting is average. His defense is poor. He's best attribute is driving to the basket, would Miami use that option over superstars like 6"8 260 lb LeBron or 6"4 220 Wade driving to the basket? Felton isn't even a great finisher, so why are we settling for average? Why do we ignore these things and just accept Felton to be the answer because he has this undeserved label as a "tough gritty New York style" PG. Felton is a country boy...theres nothing NY about him.

Difference between Prigioni and Felton is that Prigioni is miles ahead in terms of basketball awareness, on ball defense, playing the passing lanes, passing and court vision. Pablo is a better spot up shooter and he's better at hitting 3's off the pick and roll. Prigioni will get better coming into his 2nd year in the NBA being more familiar with the pace and rules.

Bottomline is that:

Felton's aggressive "pitbull style" isn't really that good. His other attributes are too average or too poor (defense, passing)
    Last edited by metrocard; May 28, 2013 at 09:58.

I too think Pablo is better then Felton and I'm down with that idea if Pablo was 26 but he's 36. I don't care how great of shape you are in 82 games is a marathon and Pablo will need more rest then say a Wall, Curry, Kyrie, Lin, Westbrook, DWILL, and CP3. Not only does he have to get through the regular season but he has to play his BEST ball at the end. Don't mistake small burst of Pablo vs. large runs of Pablo... that can be two different players.

I'm not trying to defend Felton but I just think we are undervaluing what he brings to the team. I remember numerous stretches in games where I'm going off on Pablo and Kidd because they would go over the screen and stop because that was all the defense was allowing and they didn't have the speed to beat the next defender. Felton brought that.

I'm not saying that Felton is the answer and I agree that he doesn't fit in a championship equation but nor does Pablo being the starting PG of ANY team in the USA. There are a lot of up and coming PGs in this league who will be wanting out of their ****ty teams in those ****ty cities. If our only shot at them is to wait a little longer then I'll do it because winning a championship is a process.

All I'm saying is Pablo can't do right now what you are asking of him and we should wait for the batch of young stud PG's who are chomping at the bits for a change of scenery. That should be our biggest priority then getting healthy bigs.
    Last edited by MSGhobo247; May 28, 2013 at 10:32.

12th man

Prigioni can do it, he's got the year experience of NBA play under his belt, plus over 15 years of professional ball...he can easily hold down a 28 minute starting PG role and have a young kid like Larkin or Schroeder come off the bench and display their talents. Our goal is to win, but in wining you need to grow as a team and develop your players.

You can't win by recycling used and washed up players, players need to develop (Gasol, George) for your team to reach elite status.

Shumpert is just one guy we're hoping to reach that level...but we could definitely use more, why not use the draft? The draft gave us guys like David Lee, Nate Robinson, Trevor Ariza...the NBA draft is probably the most important part of the season that can make a team and turn their franchise into a stronger direction.

Knicks are only squatting 200lbs right now. The can only squat 400 and over unless they make bigger moves for now and into the future.

Kidd has been miscast, he's a 2 guard, he needs 2 players on the floor who can penetrate and finish. He needs an eraser in Chandler defensively and a ball hawk like Iman. We got Melo and partial of Felton, when those 2 can open up the floor, Kidd gets a lot of room to spot up. when a team disciplined like Indy stays at home on spot up shooters, while funneling drivers into Hibbert, it makes it difficult for us to drive and kick. Defensively Kidd is shot one on one, but if he's on the wing on a spot up shooter, he'll gamble, read offenses and jump passing lanes, creating havoc in offensive systems, but if he has to guard the point he'll get killed. 26 minutes is too much for Kidd average wise, he needs to be around 15 or so. Similar to how the Mavs used Stevenson in the championship year, Stevenson would start the halves and just lock someone down for about 8 minutes a half. Kidd needs to see similar minutes, a big bunch with the proper personnel along side him. He's not versatile enough any more to be a stop gap. At this point, it's much better to trade Kidd/Camby for pennies on the dollar, get a couple live bodies into NY, then it is to work Kidd in for 25 minutes a night. Kidd was brought in to provide influence on Melo, and to a lesser extent JR, but when the chips were laid, it was a failed task. We had a great start of the season, but a combination of injuries, advanced scouting report and an inability to adjust to defenses, ie Indy's goal to stop 3 point attempts. You need a counter punch and Woodson never figured it out.