2013 NBA draft (rev 2.0)

metrocard

Legend
share.jpg

Trending Prospects: Vitalis Chikoko
by: Matt Kamalsky - Director of Operations
June 13, 2013
Vitalis Chikoko is one of the most physically gifted big men in this draft, standing 6-10 with a phenomenal 7-4 wingspan and intriguing athleticism. How will his advanced age and lack of experience affect him on draft night?

Vitalis Chikoko, 6-10, Center, TBB Trier, 1991

1371126974.jpg
5vier.de

Matt Kamalsky

Few players eligible for the 2013 NBA Draft have as unique a background as Vitalis Chikoko. Just three years ago, the then 6'9 center was a complete unknown, dominating local competition playing for the Mbare Heat in Zimbabwe. He was a diamond in the rough uncovered through the efforts of Hoops 4 Hope. Having picked up the game when he outgrew the sport of soccer at 11 years old, Chikoko played in Zimbabwe's modest basketball leagues in his youth, with his only significant international experience coming at the 2008 FIBA Africa U18 Qualifying Round. Able to send a DVD to the front office of BBL club Goettingen with the help and connections of his agent and coach at the time, Chikoko left his home country to start his professional career in Europe at the start of the 2011-2012 season.

Beginning the year playing for ASC 46 Goettingen of the German Regionalliga (4th Division), Chikoko's talent became evident as he averaged a double-double through 18 games among mop up appearances in the first division. Granted the opportunity to start a Bundesliga game in mid-February, Chikoko scored 9 points in 14 minutes against historic German power ALBA Berlin. Seeing minutes on a regular basis for Goettingen the rest of the season, Chikoko posted season highs of 20 points and 11 rebounds and finished in the top-15 in John Hollinger's PER metric. He played especially well in extensive action down the stretch as the team resigned itself to relegation and a last-place finish after being ravaged by injuries and financial issues.

Signing with TBB Trier to stay in the Bundesliga prior to this season, Chikoko came into the season as one of the more intriguing prospects in the 1991-born international group that would be eligible for the 2013 NBA Draft.

Now standing 6'10 with an incredible 7-4 wingspan and a lanky 219 pound frame that remains quite skinny but has progressed steadily since he's arrived in Germany, it isn't hard to see what makes Chikoko an interesting talent on first glance. Possessing good size and length for a big man, the 22 year old is also an impressive athlete, running the floor like a deer and showing good quickness for a center prospect.

On the offensive end, Chikoko's role reflects his lack of high-level experience and limited feel for the game. Finishing this season with an average of 6.3 points in 15.5 minutes per-game, he found the vast majority of his touches in catch and finish situations resulting from his work without the ball in his hands. Asked to set screens, run the floor, and stay active, the big lefty does not have a consistent means to create his own shot or score away from the basket at this point in his career.

Given time and space, Chikoko will attempt an occasional jump shot, but his release point is inconsistent and he's yet to find the type of results that would make him a threat from the perimeter. When he operates in the post, he works hard to try to gain position and will toss in a hook shot from time to time, but his lack of lower body strength and great footwork make it difficult for him to hold position and maintain his balance when making a move. His left-hand dominant interior repertoire only makes it more difficult for him to create inside. Turning the ball over on nearly a quarter of his possessions, Chikoko is still in the early stages of his development as a one-on-one threat.

Nonetheless, he still has some nice moments offensively, thanks in large part to his tremendous foot speed and a budding skill-level that suggests good things to come in the future. His quick feet and huge strides make him a threat in transition when his team looks to run and he's very adept at setting screens and outracing his man to the rim when he rolls. Possessing reliable hands, unlike many young, inexperienced African big men, Chikoko looks to dunk the ball whenever possible. Finishing at a phenomenal 71.9% rate in the paint this season, the young center played efficiently within his role for the most part, though from time to time he surprised defenders by trying to take the ball coast to coast or facing up and using a hesitation move to attack off the dribble, finding mixed results amid intriguing flashes of dribble-drive ability.

Defensively, Chikoko plays with good energy, but struggles mightily to stay out of foul trouble. Averaging 6.8 fouls per-40 minutes pace adjusted, up from the 5.6 he posted as a rookie last season, his lack of discipline defending the interior is a limiting factor on his development. Lacking great strength and possessing questionable fundamentals, Chikoko has a hard time handling strong post scorers on occasion and is too quick to use his hands.

Compounding his struggles, Chikoko's took a step back as a rebounder this season. After averaging a tremendous 12.1 rebounds per-40 minutes pace adjusted last season, he pulled down just 7.6 this year. Despite his tremendous physical profile, he does not always box out well or pursue the ball as instinctively as one would hope.

Where Chikoko does show promise defensively is as a shot blocker and pick and roll defender. His length and ability to cover ground quickly allow him to come up with some impressive rejections defending on the ball, off the ball, and in transition. He makes some impressive rotations recovering to the block from the perimeter as well, and with further experience and improve physical strength, has plenty of potential on this end of the floor.

Potential is a key word when discussing Chikoko, as his experience as a professional doesn't match up with his age compared to his peers. Considering that he's already 22 years old, teams will question just how much he can improve, though the development he's shown physically and skill-wise since arriving in Germany seems to indicate that he is still very early in his learning curve. Lauded for his intangibles and work ethic by coaches and teammates alike, Chikoko is a ways away from being able to contribute at the NBA level, especially with his deficiencies on the glass and in terms of physical strength. Nevertheless, he provides enough flashes and has enough tools that with a few strong workouts, a team looking to draft and stash certainly could take a chance on him late in the draft.

1371127033.jpg
adidas

Chikoko competed at the adidas EuroCamp this past week and found mostly mixed results, as the lack of structure combined with his limited experience and average skill-level made for a very up and down showing. While he showed some interesting flashes thanks to his length and athleticism, he also showed a distinct lack of discipline sliding out to the perimeter and heaving up some very questionable jump-shots. Still a few years away from being able to compete at the highest levels of Europe, let alone think about the NBA, Chikoko is a long-term project with unique physical attributes that will need plenty of time and hard work, but could certainly develop into an interesting player down the road.

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2W6I3wg4j
http://www.draftexpress.com

moneyg

Starter
You speak no truth. You fear it. Not man enough to be honest.
Knicks can easily trade up, jackass. Felton is a movable contract.
Felton and Chandler aren't that good in the first place and are replaceable.
Do you watch Knicks games? Chandler was playing like he's in his retirement season.
Felton is the most inconsistent and worst defensive starting NBA PG today. He defended horrible all season long until the playoffs against the Celtics. He got raped by George Hill and DJ Augustin. You have no argument here. These are guys who produce nice numbers, nice enough to be traded, but they won't help us improve into the future.
All rookies are UNPROVEN, so you stating it makes you look dumb. When a rookie proves himself and a team misses out, they look dumb. Just like when the Knicks missed their chance on guys like Ricky Rubio, Stephon Curry, Joakim Noah, Rajon Rondo, Ron Artest, Ty Lawson, and many other prospects that Knicks slept on. If a team really wants a player, they would trade up.

Pacers got Roy Hibbert via trade, and he's now the best defensive presence in the East and has lead Indiana as the best defense and a top 3 team in the Eastern Conference. It's simple minded people like you who don't know anything about NBA success in the NBA, success in life or even success with your own sex life being a fat out of shape low IQ untalented piece of crap...your self esteem is low, pick it up son.

metrohomocard is the corniest thing anyone has ever came up with here.
You seem like the lonely type.
You need a girlfriend man.
and if you want to smack me, come to World Wide Boxing Gym tomorrow at 4PM on Jerome Ave and 205th st and let's see your fat ass try it.

come on now...give me some credit metrohomosexual... i didnt survive on the streets and in jail this long by being stupid..that like me sayin..meet me on flatbush and newkirk in bklyn at midnight...queens seem pretty neutral..dont you agree.. linden blvd or jamaica ave... u pick the cross street... on private message..we dont need any snitches here..i bring the bottle..u bring the blunt..get it...unfortunately.. im at my other home in the south on the beach at the moment but i will be back in ny in about a week... so please do respond in private message.. we dont want any snitching..ya diggg....FYI..the only thing fat on me is my pockets shorty... so take ur 5'5" ass and go play in the sand

now back to bball.. as this is my primary reason for being on this site... im not trading felton for any unproven dudes in this draft. we got to win now. we dont have time to gamble and allow a player to take 3 years to develop into a contributor.....we would have no pg and if your cousin decides to go back to argentina... we are done....chandler i do feel his play was due to the back/neck injury..in the running for defensive player of the year before he got injured... i think he will come back healthy and solidify our center position..but we do need a backup like dieng...also we need to get a pg to play behind felton and learn the nba ..wolter would be a good fit.. and if he outperforms felton..so be it..then he should start.. but giving up your starting PG for a chance to trade up and get another pg in this weak ass draft...is plain foolishness.. whoever consigns that needs a reality check

metrocard

Legend
Why don't you shorten the paragraph and say you're afraid of me? This is just a long version of you saying why you're afraid to stand up to me and "smack me". You brought it, now you're telling these lame stories no one wants to hear.
You were a punk in the streets and you were a bitch in the 6 hours you spent in jail for not paying a parking ticket.
You're as hard as a condom.
Stop trying to act tough if you're not going to perform.
You'll come to NY, eat pizza and go back to Florida.
You're not stepping up to me because you don't got the balls or heart to.
I layed out where I'm at most of my day.
If you're afraid to stop by my gym, just say so and stop acting like a little puto.
I'm 5"10, 6% body fat....your physique and frame is embarrassing and I guarantee if you post a picture of yourself it'll be a laugh fest up in here. I work hard for my body and security, you seem like the type of dude too lazy to run a lap and too lazy to make an extra buck. You're a bum, a ***** and a punk all in one. If you need a fitness program, hit me up. We know your body is caca.

Felton is a garbage average PG. You acting like he's untradable shows your low NBA IQ and you're inability to improve a team. Theres 3-4 PGs that will become better than Felton and I guarantee you that. I am assigning you to do your research and learn more about Burke, Carter-Williams, Schroeder and Larkin. If you don't complete this assignment by this weekend, you're banned from the site.

Chandler has a history of injuries. You obviously don't know anything about who Tyson Chandler is to assume he's coming back healthy next season with some gay ass faith of yours. Chandler is an injury prone center, he's also turning 32 next season. He has about 3 years of productivity level. The best time to trade him now. Only an idiot can't see that, and you're being really dumb right now.

Felton and Chandler are trade bait. Trading them in 2014 would decrease their value. This is the best time to trade them before they decline. These guys already seen their prime.

While Hawks, Bulls, Pacers and Nets improve...Knicks will stay the same team. That's not improvement. We need changes in this roster and guys like Felton are easily replaceable. Chandler not soo much because of his size.

You're pretty dumb. Pablo said he wants to stay in NYC. Do you ever do any research, or do you just sit on your fat ass all day being a dickhead?

Wolters is a 2nd round talent, you idiot. Drafting him at 24 would be a reach like the Renaldo Balkman, Channing Frye, Jordan Hill and Mardy Collins pick.

Theres 5 PG's better than him EASILY...since you're dick riding Wolters so hard who's a top 7 PG in this draft...but you called this a weak draft. Your logic failed you. This draft is deep on a solid PG's, not Chris Paul types but Grevis Vasquez and Kemba Walker calibers. You're the only idiot in the world who thinks Nate Wolters can win a starting job on the Knicks.

come on now...give me some credit metrohomosexual... i didnt survive on the streets and in jail this long by being stupid..that like me sayin..meet me on flatbush and newkirk in bklyn at midnight...queens seem pretty neutral..dont you agree.. linden blvd or jamaica ave... u pick the cross street... on private message..we dont need any snitches here..i bring the bottle..u bring the blunt..get it...unfortunately.. im at my other home in the south on the beach at the moment but i will be back in ny in about a week... so please do respond in private message.. we dont want any snitching..ya diggg....FYI..the only thing fat on me is my pockets shorty... so take ur 5'5" ass and go play in the sand

now back to bball.. as this is my primary reason for being on this site... im not trading felton for any unproven dudes in this draft. we got to win now. we dont have time to gamble and allow a player to take 3 years to develop into a contributor.....we would have no pg and if your cousin decides to go back to argentina... we are done....chandler i do feel his play was due to the back/neck injury..in the running for defensive player of the year before he got injured... i think he will come back healthy and solidify our center position..but we do need a backup like dieng...also we need to get a pg to play behind felton and learn the nba ..wolter would be a good fit.. and if he outperforms felton..so be it..then he should start.. but giving up your starting PG for a chance to trade up and get another pg in this weak ass draft...is plain foolishness.. whoever consigns that needs a reality check

metrocard

Legend
Check out Nerlens Noel left patella area

nerlens-workout.jpg

Looks like his draft stock may drop to 3-5 since he'll be red flagged until 2014 possibly.

That knee don't look healthy to be jumping up and down and pivoting on the basketball court.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Noel looks awfully thin. He is not likely to do too many reps of what appears to be about 180 pounds. However, we certainly will not have to worry about making a mistake with him. An interest high risk, high reward player possibly available at pick #24 is Ricardo Ledo. Apparently, he might be able to play point. He and Shump could be a good tandem going forward.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Noel looks awfully thin. He is not likely to do too many reps of what appears to be about 180 pounds. However, we certainly will not have to worry about making a mistake with him. An interest high risk, high reward player possibly available at pick #24 is Ricardo Ledo. Apparently, he might be able to play point. He and Shump could be a good tandem going forward.

Ledo's got freakish skills. Kinda reminds of a taller Kyrie. If available, we should take him.

moneyg

Starter
Why don't you shorten the paragraph and say you're afraid of me? This is just a long version of you saying why you're afraid to stand up to me and "smack me". You brought it, now you're telling these lame stories no one wants to hear.
You were a punk in the streets and you were a bitch in the 6 hours you spent in jail for not paying a parking ticket.
You're as hard as a condom.
Stop trying to act tough if you're not going to perform.
You'll come to NY, eat pizza and go back to Florida.
You're not stepping up to me because you don't got the balls or heart to.
I layed out where I'm at most of my day.
If you're afraid to stop by my gym, just say so and stop acting like a little puto.
I'm 5"10, 6% body fat....your physique and frame is embarrassing and I guarantee if you post a picture of yourself it'll be a laugh fest up in here. I work hard for my body and security, you seem like the type of dude too lazy to run a lap and too lazy to make an extra buck. You're a bum, a ***** and a punk all in one. If you need a fitness program, hit me up. We know your body is caca.

Felton is a garbage average PG. You acting like he's untradable shows your low NBA IQ and you're inability to improve a team. Theres 3-4 PGs that will become better than Felton and I guarantee you that. I am assigning you to do your research and learn more about Burke, Carter-Williams, Schroeder and Larkin. If you don't complete this assignment by this weekend, you're banned from the site.

Chandler has a history of injuries. You obviously don't know anything about who Tyson Chandler is to assume he's coming back healthy next season with some gay ass faith of yours. Chandler is an injury prone center, he's also turning 32 next season. He has about 3 years of productivity level. The best time to trade him now. Only an idiot can't see that, and you're being really dumb right now.

Felton and Chandler are trade bait. Trading them in 2014 would decrease their value. This is the best time to trade them before they decline. These guys already seen their prime.

While Hawks, Bulls, Pacers and Nets improve...Knicks will stay the same team. That's not improvement. We need changes in this roster and guys like Felton are easily replaceable. Chandler not soo much because of his size.

You're pretty dumb. Pablo said he wants to stay in NYC. Do you ever do any research, or do you just sit on your fat ass all day being a dickhead?

Wolters is a 2nd round talent, you idiot. Drafting him at 24 would be a reach like the Renaldo Balkman, Channing Frye, Jordan Hill and Mardy Collins pick.

Theres 5 PG's better than him EASILY...since you're dick riding Wolters so hard who's a top 7 PG in this draft...but you called this a weak draft. Your logic failed you. This draft is deep on a solid PG's, not Chris Paul types but Grevis Vasquez and Kemba Walker calibers. You're the only idiot in the world who thinks Nate Wolters can win a starting job on the Knicks.

i made the unbiased offer.... u declined... scared of what.. an internet gangsta... im done with this snitch asss mother****er.. like i said from the start.. ur a ****in snitch.. gaycard.. doenst matter what u say.... ur a bitch..im wondering if this is a female on this site posing as a male...SMFH...anyone on this site that spends this much time posting is a lonely worthless...***** lacking... son of a bitch...10,000 post..huh... hopefully that will get ur confidence up.. im here whenever u change ur mind.. via private message that is...****in snitch..ur like a mother****er that makes a scence on the street so someone will get in between an break it up instead of walking quitely to the back and shooting the 6....ur a fraud...exposed...

and at the same time u still cant answer the question.. who the **** are you trading chandler or felton for a higher pick in the draft to take????....i really wanna hear this response...but i can only assume you will ramble on ..yet again.. without answer the question specifically.. just to repeat.. "trade chandler or felton for what pick....from what team... to pick who...???...tell us all....lets see you come up with a scenario that makes sense.. FYI.. i said trade down for wolter...idiot and get another pick ...so that we can gamble on two or more picks instead of at 24 unless its deng.. u guys really think schoeder is gonna drop to 24...keep dreaming.. he already got a promise that why he is slacking in workoout.. this has been going on forever....listen and learn the facts.. not the smoke and mirrors that thrown out....

metrocard

Legend

I like Ledo to replace JR Smith.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
David Aldridge's Mock Draft

I don't really like this dude, his info always seems either unbelievably obvious (he once said as an official report: the Celtics will either keep Rondo or trade him...no **** David..), or incredibly spotty.

But for what it's worth, he has Larkin going 23rd to the Pacers, which makes sense from a backup PG perspective, but he doesn't really fit their mold of long athletes.

So if the Pacers don't take him, do we? I'm really not high on Felton because his game seems to be peaks and valleys. Either really good, or please get off the court. Lets not forget that late in the season, the Knicks were more effective with Prigs out there with Felton. I don't recall Felton sustaining success on his own this past season without Kidd, or Prigs. If someone is running point, they can't need their hand held. Which would take me to his constant whining and histrionics after the refs blow the whistle. Notice how I didn't say a foul was called on him...but the refs simply blew the whistle.. There was one time, Felton went damn near running down the court like "awwww man no, no!!! I swear it wasn't...c'mon man..." and the foul was called on K-mart. Kidd literally walked over to calm Felton down.

Couple that with his success being tied to a vet who was essentially his wingman at the point, and I think we need to upgrade on Felton. I just don't know if Larkin is the guy, if he's there. I like his game tho.

metrocard

Legend
Knicks should trade up with Dallas and Indiana....

Felton

for

Gerald Green
#23 pick
#53 pick

Sign and trade with Dallas

Dallas sends
Shawn Marion
#13 pick

Knicks sends
JR Smith (resigned)
Q-Rich

Knicks draft
#13 (Giannis Adetokoubo, Shane Larkin/Schroeder, CJ McCollum, Cody Zeller, )
#23 (Lucas Nogueira, Steve Adams, Dennis Schroeder, Gorgui Dieng)
#24 (Ricky Ledo, Rudy Grobert, Tony Mitchell, Reggie Bullock)
#53 (Seth Curry, Augusto Lima, Colton Iverson, Alex Abrines)

I'll pick

#13 Schroeder
#23 Dieng
#24 Ledo
#53 Iverson

Knicks
PG - Prigioni/Schroeder
SG - Shumpert/Ledo
SF - Anthony/Copeland/Novak
PF - Marion/Stoudimire/Camby
C - Chandler/Dieng/Iverson

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
Knicks should trade up with Dallas and Indiana....

Felton

for

Gerald Green
#23 pick
#53 pick

Sign and trade with Dallas

Dallas sends
Shawn Marion
#13 pick

Knicks sends
JR Smith (resigned)
Q-Rich

Knicks draft
#13 (Giannis Adetokoubo, Shane Larkin/Schroeder, CJ McCollum, Cody Zeller, )
#23 (Lucas Nogueira, Steve Adams, Dennis Schroeder, Gorgui Dieng)
#24 (Ricky Ledo, Rudy Grobert, Tony Mitchell, Reggie Bullock)
#53 (Seth Curry, Augusto Lima, Colton Iverson, Alex Abrines)

I'll pick

#13 Schroeder
#23 Dieng
#24 Ledo
#53 Iverson

Knicks
PG - Prigioni/Schroeder
SG - Shumpert/Ledo
SF - Anthony/Copeland/Novak
PF - Marion/Stoudimire/Camby
C - Chandler/Dieng/Iverson

I do not believe the Knicks can sign JR and then trade him.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
I do not believe the Knicks can sign JR and then trade him.

First the Knicks are expected to re-sign Smith but yes they can sign and trade him... He would probably get a better deal then what the Knicks could offer in any deal...

I believe the right choice for #24 is Tony Mitchell, but not sure if he will be able to step into starting rotation... He would be able to give quality minutes as a 2nd team while he develops...

Regardless of the qualifying offers issued to Prigioni and Copeland the Knicks will need to either make some quality trades for some young talent or make a move to acquire some other pick selections to snag much needed PG, PF/C via the draft or free agency... I think best bet will be a smart off-season maybe finding a way to add another draft pick but will not making too many splashy moves... Grunny will build out this current roster waiting until next year when they can officially buy out Stoudemire opening up the cap space...

But do like that reaching with all those rumors of teams looking to make some moves...