Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: JR Likely to Re-sign for 4 Years?

Hybrid View

Veteran

Default JR Likely to Re-sign for 4 Years?

Not sure if this was common knowledge or posted already, but it's being reported that J.R. Smith is likely to re-sign with the Knicks for 4 years at a little more than 5 million a year rather than test the free agent market and possibly cash-in for more with another team.

Here's the story I saw:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Apparently, part of the agreement is likely to be for the Knicks to also sign J.R.'s brother Chris again. This part of the move is either shady or savvy, depending on what you think about J.R. I suppose.

My take on this deal, if this story is true, is that it avoids a smaller scale version of the Lin mess from last year and gives us at least a little stability going into next season. There is no way we'd get as good a player as the 'good' version of J.R. Smith for a little over 5 million a year. The continued variable is going to be how much of the 'good' J.R. Smith is going to show up once he's got an extended deal.

One less thing for the Knicks to worry about. On to the next player signing.

Veteran

The haters gonna hate this move after his playoff performance but it's the right move if JR is willing to sign with the Knicks rather than test the FA waters.

The Knicks could have gambled that he wouldn't have drawn any interest because of his playoff performance and because there a lot of good FA wings on the market this year that JR would have to pick up his player option but I think he had a good enough year to warrant giving him a new deal.

Veteran

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    The haters gonna hate this move after his playoff performance but it's the right move if JR is willing to sign with the Knicks rather than test the FA waters.

The Knicks could have gambled that he wouldn't have drawn any interest because of his playoff performance and because there a lot of good FA wings on the market this year that JR would have to pick up his player option but I think he had a good enough year to warrant giving him a new deal.

HE'SSUCH A GREAT TEAM PLAYER AND REALLY GAVE A 100% IN THE PLAYOFFS SO LETS REWARD HIM WITH A BIG DEAL....

And then lets talk about how IF eh changes this or Changes that he will be much better...

HE IS WHAT HE IS ......As every NBA player says the playoffs is where players play their best.....JR LOOKED CRISP DONT U THINK

Originally Posted by skisloper
    HE'SSUCH A GREAT TEAM PLAYER AND REALLY GAVE A 100% IN THE PLAYOFFS SO LETS REWARD HIM WITH A BIG DEAL....

And then lets talk about how IF eh changes this or Changes that he will be much better...

HE IS WHAT HE IS ......As every NBA player says the playoffs is where players play their best.....JR LOOKED CRISP DONT U THINK
    If you think this is a "big deal", then you clearly don't know a lot about NBA market.
    A mid level-ish deal for a 6MOY and second scorer of this team is a steal in any language. The guy even played for pretty much the vets minimum this year.

I am disgusted about his playoff performance just like any of you, but this is going to be a trade asset at worst. From a basketball point of view, rest assured that we need this guy (at a good level) to get to the finals.

And most importantly, not signing him wouldn't mean getting anything back. Nothing. We're over the lux-tax and will be until Melo, Stat and TC finish their contracts. With that in mind, any argument about so called better players for less money is not real.

Originally Posted by Seba
    If you think this is a "big deal", then you clearly don't know a lot about NBA market.
    A mid level-ish deal for a 6MOY and second scorer of this team is a steal in any language. The guy even played for pretty much the vets minimum this year.

I am disgusted about his playoff performance just like any of you, but this is going to be a trade asset at worst. From a basketball point of view, rest assured that we need this guy (at a good level) to get to the finals.

And most importantly, not signing him wouldn't mean getting anything back. Nothing. We're over the lux-tax and will be until Melo, Stat and TC finish their contracts. With that in mind, any argument about so called better players for less money is not real.
    Having JR as a trade asset is definitely a good thing. However, in my opinion not having him will allow this teams true chemistry to build. You don't just add up talent+ talent + talent. What's more important is the character of the players and how cohesive the team will be together. JR is just not the kind of guy you want to build a championship team around. He's not going to change. He showed it this playoffs. When it mattered the most to everyone, all the fans, management, and team members (even as they are playing hard injured), he went out clubbing and got hung over. You don't want someone like that on you're team. All it takes is one bad apple and the whole barrel becomes rotten. Its that weakest link theory, you're as strong as you're weakest link. You need every single person on the team to want a championship, every single one.

Originally Posted by NewYork
    Having JR as a trade asset is definitely a good thing. However, in my opinion not having him will allow this teams true chemistry to build. You don't just add up talent+ talent + talent. What's more important is the character of the players and how cohesive the team will be together. JR is just not the kind of guy you want to build a championship team around. He's not going to change. He showed it this playoffs. When it mattered the most to everyone, all the fans, management, and team members (even as they are playing hard injured), he went out clubbing and got hung over. You don't want someone like that on you're team. All it takes is one bad apple and the whole barrel becomes rotten. Its that weakest link theory, you're as strong as you're weakest link. You need every single person on the team to want a championship, every single one.
    That is a very valid point of view. However, I would take the rumors with a pinch of salt.

Default JR...our main man

JR is a great athelete and a talented shooter as but as a doctor I wonder if he has all his marbles or at 27 is just immature. Babe Ruth could drink and hit home runs...so could Mantle and Martin play hung over. Obviously JR 's escape to the brew was psychic pain for game 4 against the Celtics and all of it's reprecussions. For JR to become a great player he must make players around him better and must get his shots in the flow rather than his behind the back dribbles and step back jumpers exclusively. I agree with the previous post that this would be if happens for 5 million a good signing.

Originally Posted by DrB
    JR is a great athelete and a talented shooter as but as a doctor I wonder if he has all his marbles or at 27 is just immature. Babe Ruth could drink and hit home runs...so could Mantle and Martin play hung over. Obviously JR 's escape to the brew was psychic pain for game 4 against the Celtics and all of it's reprecussions. For JR to become a great player he must make players around him better and must get his shots in the flow rather than his behind the back dribbles and step back jumpers exclusively. I agree with the previous post that this would be if happens for 5 million a good signing.
    I never replied to my own post before but yesterday I read that JR had water on his knee during the playoffs which hampered his shot as to elevation on his jumper and limited his ability to get to the hole and finish. I noticed JR stopped driving for points in the paint and I just thought Indiana had stopped him.

Veteran

Originally Posted by DrB
    I never replied to my own post before but yesterday I read that JR had water on his knee during the playoffs which hampered his shot as to elevation on his jumper and limited his ability to get to the hole and finish. I noticed JR stopped driving for points in the paint and I just thought Indiana had stopped him.

Maybe when he had the "Flu" and "water on the knee" he should have sat out or better yet with those 2 huge negatives maybe woodson should have not played him for 36 minutes.....either way something is not being told....

I mean if JR was really injured and could not drive and Woody knew this then why was he playing 36 minutes and got embarrassed on the defensive end by Lance in the 4th quarter..........

Why is always something with JR and NY fans always say " well IF Jr changes this or IF a coach can control him " not happenning he is a grown man.........

I do think JR can play ball but he does not fit on this Knicks team,,,,,,,,,,,,,and JR playing only 20 minutes on another team will make him disgruntled and you will see more problems then you do....

Remember the Knicks and COACH WOODSON are an ideal situation for JR.....He can completly suck < get suspended, party at night , have the flu and water on the knee, shoots under 30% and he still plays for 36 minutes a game..........UNBELIEVABLE...THATS WHY JR AINT GOING ANYWHERE IS THE KNICKS DO OFFER HIM 4 YEARS AND 20 MILLION.

Originally Posted by skisloper
    Maybe when he had the "Flu" and "water on the knee" he should have sat out or better yet with those 2 huge negatives maybe woodson should have not played him for 36 minutes.....either way something is not being told....

I mean if JR was really injured and could not drive and Woody knew this then why was he playing 36 minutes and got embarrassed on the defensive end by Lance in the 4th quarter..........

Why is always something with JR and NY fans always say " well IF Jr changes this or IF a coach can control him " not happenning he is a grown man.........

I do think JR can play ball but he does not fit on this Knicks team,,,,,,,,,,,,,and JR playing only 20 minutes on another team will make him disgruntled and you will see more problems then you do....

Remember the Knicks and COACH WOODSON are an ideal situation for JR.....He can completly suck < get suspended, party at night , have the flu and water on the knee, shoots under 30% and he still plays for 36 minutes a game..........UNBELIEVABLE...THATS WHY JR AINT GOING ANYWHERE IS THE KNICKS DO OFFER HIM 4 YEARS AND 20 MILLION.
    He was just hung over lol. Flu my ass. He went into a play off game hungover. Why reward someone for screwing us over? The Knicks better not resign him. Grunwald has to be smarter than that. You can call JR should've, would've, could've, and never will be. He needs to see Lenny Cooke's documentary.

Originally Posted by DrB
    Remember the flu-like symptoms he had? I was giving him the benefit of the doubt but you know what? He was just hung over.

I'd rather Grunwald get OJ Mayo on our team than JR Smith. JR Smith isn't a bad guy. He probably is a kind person but but his inconsistency and lack of focus to the game is the kind of dynamic that'll destroy team chemistry. As talented as JR is individually, his character will just destroy the morale of the team.

Originally Posted by NewYork
    I'd rather Grunwald get OJ Mayo on our team than JR Smith. JR Smith isn't a bad guy. He probably is a kind person but but his inconsistency and lack of focus to the game is the kind of dynamic that'll destroy team chemistry. As talented as JR is individually, his character will just destroy the morale of the team.
    Right now due to lack of assets, you need to resign Smith if anything to trade him with an expiring for a couple live bodies. I think OJ is just as inconsistent as JR, maybe the combination of the 2, nah. We need bigs. I think the 2 is solid with Iman and JR. Melo at the 3 with Novak, the 4, Amare, KMart. Would love to add a combo center/PF behind Chandler as well.

Originally Posted by htr10
    Not sure if this was common knowledge or posted already, but it's being reported that J.R. Smith is likely to re-sign with the Knicks for 4 years at a little more than 5 million a year rather than test the free agent market and possibly cash-in for more with another team.

Here's the story I saw:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Apparently, part of the agreement is likely to be for the Knicks to also sign J.R.'s brother Chris again. This part of the move is either shady or savvy, depending on what you think about J.R. I suppose.

My take on this deal, if this story is true, is that it avoids a smaller scale version of the Lin mess from last year and gives us at least a little stability going into next season. There is no way we'd get as good a player as the 'good' version of J.R. Smith for a little over 5 million a year. The continued variable is going to be how much of the 'good' J.R. Smith is going to show up once he's got an extended deal.
    Then we need to re sign WOODSON and get full time psychiatric care for JR...JR sane is more dangerous as a player than INSANE.