JR Likely to Re-sign for 4 Years?

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
I don't get how people want to lose the 6th man of the year... I mean losing him is contingent on shump taking a MAJOR step next season and maybe signing nate to replace him. You take jr off our roster we don't win 50 games this year.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sure, this year, but what about next year, with a full season of Shump at the 2, Melo at the 3, a cross of Copeland, KMart and Amare at the 4. There are viable 2nd options going into next year without JR. The one thing I fear about losing JR is the lack of assets the knicks have. All the Knicks have is the draft pick and MLE to work with. You lose JR that's another roster spot open, James White did nothing for my confidence. Much rather see us get a rookie that can have an impact in 15 minutes a night. Whether a big or wing. You assume Shump can get 36 minutes a night at the 2, Melo another 36 at the 3, that's 24 minutes of wing play needed to fill. You look at a guy like Allen a year ago he took what an MLE to sign with Miami. Assume you use the full MLE on a a wing, that leaves a big hole at C behind Chandler, and again it's a huge assumption to think Amare will play 70 games and average 30 minutes a night. That leaves you with KMart and Cope at the 4.....and I have not even looked at the PG situation behind Felton. That leaves 2 spots not just on the roster but the rotation. I would feel better if you can mine Camby and Kidd's contract into replacements at their respective spots.

Kiyaman

Legend
I don't get how people want to lose the 6th man of the year... I mean losing him is contingent on shump taking a MAJOR step next season and maybe signing nate to replace him. You take jr off our roster we don't win 50 games this year.

During our 18-5 run Raymond Felton made himself our 2nd option on offense averaging 16.5 shots per game for 19 pts, 7 ast, 1 stl, and 1 turnover .. the best part of Felton being our 2nd option was Tyson Chandler were averaging 10 or more points per game. Recall Kidd & Brewer were starters with Felton during our 18-5 run when we were playing team-ball with ball-movement in every game (we were hitting the 3-ball because everyone was given a shot to shoot the 3-ball). What happen?

Originally Posted by skisloper
I think what laughabe is that you want to sign a player who was a no-show for the playoffs based on a multiple number of reasons i do not need to explain....

So you ar correct i do NOT think we will be a better regular season team without JR.
I do think we will be a better playoff team without JR.

With or without JR the chances of the Knicks getting by the Bulls, Heat or Pacers is not good.

I think Woodson bows down to JR. His 36 minutes of playing time despite what his game is like is ludicrous.
Now we can say thats on Woodson but if playing time goes down we will have a disgruntled JR who be a complete ass as a teammate....I mean look how crappy of a teamate he was in the playoffs with his committment.

I think its best the Knicks start creating some team play and start finding pieces that will work for Melo following next season......Give Copeland JR's minutes......Give Stat JR's minutes.......We have draft picks and Vet min....find guys that will give their heart and soul.....lets get team ball....JR is not that....

I 100% agree JR is as athlectic as they come but what I do not buy into is his selfish play on and off the court....I cannot watch another season of 36 minutes for JR whether his is 16 for 16 or 2 for 16 ..............its wrong and for sure not good for team morale...

so in the longrun I think Knicks are a better playoff team without JR

:agreed:
I also dont see any reason to resign JR.Smith, other than being the only Knicks teammate that will accept ISO-Melo ball-hogging for 4 quarters of the game.

JR.Smith action with a minute left in our 3rd winning-postseason game vs Boston 90-76, when JR elbow Terry's face for no reason when JR couldve dribble the clock out. That act put the icing on the cake on whether we resign JR.Smith in the offseason .... JR gets no-pass on that act.
Especially when Terry's outstanding performance receive the MVP for beating us in game-4 and game-5 of the series.

I liked JR rookie season, I dont know what JR did his 2nd season that pissed off his headcoach to bar him from the lockerroom when CP3 was a rookie, but when NO traded JR to the Chicago Bulls for Tyson Chandler, the Bulls also didnt allow JR in their lockerroom, and traded JR nine days later to the Denver Nuggets.
I was happy we sign JR lastseason, until JR got on the court to do nothing on defense, receiving 30 minutes his first game as a Knicks to be the 3rd or 4th player back on Lin's uptempo transition-offense to do what? stand in one-spot on the perimeter begging for the ball to dribble 5 feet to take a jumper!
In Denver, every defender new where JR & Melo would be when Iverson ran an uptempo transition play (on the perimeter).
So Jeremy Lin's uptempo transition plays we got used to became dead when Jr's & Melo's defenders were all over him, and the passing lane to Tyson Chandler. At one time Lin had everyone running back fast in his transition for an easy basket, when Novak's defender started doubling on Lin the ball went to Novak for a 3.

We were all o.k. with Jeremy Lin's 3 turnovers per game, when we added a 30 minute JR.Smith, and Melo came back from a groin injury to play 38 minutes per game, Lin's turnovers increased to 5 or 7 per game.
What Happen?

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
For some reason I see GM Grunwald resigning JR .. how much? how long? is a mystery.
JR's type of performance makes him a starter, not a finisher next season .. if JR's hot early in the game ok let him finish ..
JR have to start moving without the ball, and learn how to catch the ball while moving.

I do know Shump's performance this season makes him the ideal 34 minute 6th-Man off the bench next season.
JR lost that job...

tiger0330

Legend
I agree, odds favor Grunny reupping JR just because he can with his early bird rights. The question to me is does Grunny make the max offer he can to JR to keep him from testing FA or does he let JR test FA and risk losing him to a better offer?

What do you guys think Grunny will do?

Kiyaman

Legend
I agree, odds favor Grunny reupping JR just because he can with his early bird rights. The question to me is does Grunny make the max offer he can to JR to keep him from testing FA or does he let JR test FA and risk losing him to a better offer?

What do you guys think Grunny will do?

aint no better offer out there .. I dont see any team interested in JR .. NBA or Euro

skisloper

Starter
aint no better offer out there .. I dont see any team interested in JR .. NBA or Euro

Last year everyone said JR agreed to the Knicks even though he could have gotten more money......BUT there was not a single rumor of a bigger contract offered......

There are so many reason NOT to take JR....36 minutes of play and he is semi-happy....let him see 20 and you will have a ruckus

NewYork

Benchwarmer
JR is one of those players you would hate to not have as a regular team but at this point of his career I don't think he fits on a team gunning for a championship. His style of play, temperament, and level of commitment just doesn't fit the goals of the Knicks. The way the Knicks as a team has played in the last playoffs was definitely not championship caliber. The offense is segmented and doesn't flow. People don't know their part in the system and it just seems players are taking whatever random shots are available most of the times instead of having plays set up and mixing it up. Talent alone allowed the team to get as far as they did but if there was more chemistry Knicks would have made it further. There are players that help with team chemistry and players that aren't. JR is one of those players that everyone has to slow down and watch what JR is going to do and make a guess as to what his play is going to be. It can be nice for JR because he has the ability to make in some incredibly difficult shots and tough plays but his offense can be predictable and the rest of the players become stagnant. We need to have a team predicated on ball movement and offensive flow. We need different people setting screens, and people scoring in the post and even passing out of the post. We need gritty players who will fight for rebounds and smother their man on defense.

Peejay88

Rookie
JR Smith's character is just not a good fit for this team. We need a more serious team. Spurs like.
I agree. This team will get nowhere with too much crazy in the clubhouse. Look at guys like Steph Marbury, awesome talent but being a loser and having poor decision making WHEN IT COUNTS is woven into them!

jimkcchief88

All Star
Funny huh.. JR.plays 82 great games and wins NBA Sixth Man of the Year...nope we don't want him...But Linsanity plays 20 good games in the regular season...sits out the playoffs(2 years in a row) and he is the second coming...So goes the groupthink on KO.COM:(. Don't let a couple bad playoff games ruin a whole season(which is why d-leaguer Lin sits out so as not to get exposed). Playoff maturation is a process...all teams must go through it.

skisloper

Starter
Funny huh.. JR.plays 82 great games and wins NBA Sixth Man of the Year...nope we don't want him...But Linsanity plays 20 good games in the regular season...sits out the playoffs(2 years in a row) and he is the second coming...So goes the groupthink on KO.COM:(. Don't let a couple bad playoff games ruin a whole season(which is why d-leaguer Lin sits out so as not to get exposed). Playoff maturation is a process...all teams must go through it.

His couple of playoff games is not the issue.......
Why and please answer this.......why did we not see one better offer from any NBA team last year for JR ????
The KO board seems to have it their heads that JR took a pay cut to pay for the Knicks.........When there are no other offers whats the pay cut ????

People wanted LIN because in such a dismal Dantonio error it brought back excitment to the Garden.......gave us all something to embrace and feel like the Knicks were back........Lin did make the players around him better.....maybe yes it would have been short lived but do not let the Lin stupidity justify the JR stupidity....

What do you think we will happen if JR signs a 4 year deal with us , Woody holds him accountable and based on play his minutes get cut to 20 a game.....???????????? DO U REALLY THINK JR WILL HAVE A REVELATION....

Would rather have your home town team ( not a fan I know its where u liove ) Nate come to the Knicks...

jimkcchief88

All Star
His couple of playoff games is not the issue.......
Why and please answer this.......why did we not see one better offer from any NBA team last year for JR ????
The KO board seems to have it their heads that JR took a pay cut to pay for the Knicks.........When there are no other offers whats the pay cut ????

People wanted LIN because in such a dismal Dantonio error it brought back excitment to the Garden.......gave us all something to embrace and feel like the Knicks were back........Lin did make the players around him better.....maybe yes it would have been short lived but do not let the Lin stupidity justify the JR stupidity....

What do you think we will happen if JR signs a 4 year deal with us , Woody holds him accountable and based on play his minutes get cut to 20 a game.....???????????? DO U REALLY THINK JR WILL HAVE A REVELATION....

Would rather have your home town team ( not a fan I know its where u liove ) Nate come to the Knicks...

JR just had his BEST season in the NBA under Woody....Don't discount an 82 game season over a couple playoff games....JR already had his revelation...You just missed it...once the sting of losing in the playoffs subsides you will be able to see the season more clearly....and we are fortunate to not as yet be in a bidding war for JR's services but don't think there won't be offers F/A agent offers...repeat after me...NBA Sixth Man of the Year...I know it's not popular here in the Iso-bizarro-basketball world of KO.com to give Melo/JR ANY credit for accolades(scoring title/sixth man) but the rest of the NBA took notice...First playoff series win and Division title in over a decade???? Guess what...D. Rose and Granger will be back next year so the East just got tougher and we will NEED #8 trust me

knicksince 93

Rotation player
JR just had his BEST season in the NBA under Woody....Don't discount an 82 game season over a couple playoff games....JR already had his revelation...You just missed it...once the sting of losing in the playoffs subsides you will be able to see the season more clearly....and we are fortunate to not as yet be in a bidding war for JR's services but don't think there won't be offers F/A agent offers...repeat after me...NBA Sixth Man of the Year...I know it's not popular here in the Iso-bizarro-basketball world of KO.com to give Melo/JR ANY credit for accolades(scoring title/sixth man) but the rest of the NBA took notice...First playoff series win and Division title in over a decade???? Guess what...D. Rose and Granger will be back next year so the East just got tougher and we will NEED #8 trust me

Thank u... He carried us alot of times this year. He's more directly responsible for our 54 wins then other people who some people here value more

skisloper

Starter

There is not another top NBA team that JR would get 36 minutes a game and shoot as awful as he sometimes did not to mention is adversity to playing defense.......

I would have ZERO issue with JR if Woody held him accountable.
This would mean:
1. If JR is not driving to the hoop and just dribbling for off balance outside shots.
2. Not playing defense with intensity.
3. Does not brings up the ball instead of the PG bringing up the ball.
4. Playoffs dont get me started....

My fear is that if Woody holds JR accountable then what will happen with JR;s game. Will JR get more focused and learn or will become more of a head case and a personal problem for the Knicks..

Its not good for a Team when 1 player is allowed to run wild and not be held accountable when others are blasted or put on the bench for their mistakes...

Woody benched Copeland for weeks due to his poor defense........JR's minutes increased or stayed the same due to his poor defense.....
I am not equating the play of Copeland/JR but I do think a coach cannot have such double standards and treat their perceived stars with Kid gloves......

With that said its either
A. Woody is puss and is afraid of pissing off JR
or
B. Woody knows to get the best out of JR you have to treat him with kid gloves...

Either A or B to makes for a bad chemistry amongst a team........

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Signing Smith does not mean he is on the team forever. He is valuable for more than scoring he is under 30 years old and if you are able to sign him to a deal for under 6 million you do it. If he does not play up to team standards you look for a way to package him to another team after next season with Amare or Tyson's expiring contract. Nate Robinson is trash and he will be in which ever teams doghouse playing under 20 minutes per game by the all-star break next season. People need to also stop acting like its a lock we sign Pablo and Cope. Ever hear of poison pill contracts??? The Knicks will not go into their mini MLE to sign either player until they have had a chance to see which vets are available next year.

I say this as a fan of the Knicks for 20+ years not some butt hurt predetermined self-righteous biased bull****.

skisloper

Starter
Signing Smith does not mean he is on the team forever. He is valuable for more than scoring he is under 30 years old and if you are able to sign him to a deal for under 6 million you do it. If he does not play up to team standards you look for a way to package him to another team after next season with Amare or Tyson's expiring contract. Nate Robinson is trash and he will be in which ever teams doghouse playing under 20 minutes per game by the all-star break next season. People need to also stop acting like its a lock we sign Pablo and Cope. Ever hear of poison pill contracts??? The Knicks will not go into their mini MLE to sign either player until they have had a chance to see which vets are available next year.

I say this as a fan of the Knicks for 20+ years not some butt hurt predetermined self-righteous biased bull****.

Since I believe that it is a safe bet that the Knicks sign JR Smith we will be able to debate the positives and negatives over the season. Like I said I have no problem if we sign Smith, Woody holds him accountable and if held accountable that JR learns to play within what the team needs,,,,....If he is unable to do I believe his trade value will not be what you think it is and infact will be a bad contract the Knicks again need to live with.

If he is signed I pray that you are right,,,,,,,,,

Oldtimer

Rotation player

I too believe we are hardly locks to sign Pablo and/or Copeland. We have only minimums and the MLE of about $3.5M. They were both getting rookie minimums. My bet is that Pablo goes to San Antonio and teams with his buddy Ginobili. Copeland is likely to get some decent offers from other teams which we might deem too expensive.

tiger0330

Legend
The dance has started, JR opted out of his 2nd year today.

The Knicks will be in bad shape next year if they lose JR, Prigs and Copeland in FA. Add KMart to that list of guys that are not a lock to re-sign with the Knicks, he showed enough last year to attract interest from a team.