Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: JR Likely to Re-sign for 4 Years?

Problem with JR he is not a #2 option in the NBA, for a championship, he's a #3 option at best. Jet was #2a behind Dirk. I look at Jet and JR as similar players. Microwave type players, energy players, but when it ain't going in, it's a waste of minutes.

here the thing with JR and/or going after other shooters. JR played great (6th man of the year after all) and we can pay him 5 which is fair for the most part. The question after that is all the knicks have is 3 million in MMLE money and the ability to package 2 I believe vet min contracts to equal around $2 million for trade purposes.

The knicks aren't getting an upgrade over JR for 3 million. Better to use that to deal with another issue such as Center depth and possibly PG depth. Or maybe that 3 million dollars will have to go towards keeping both Copeland and/or Prigioni for a few more seasons.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Wargames
    here the thing with JR and/or going after other shooters. JR played great (6th man of the year after all) and we can pay him 5 which is fair for the most part. The question after that is all the knicks have is 3 million in MMLE money and the ability to package 2 I believe vet min contracts to equal around $2 million for trade purposes.

The knicks aren't getting an upgrade over JR for 3 million. Better to use that to deal with another issue such as Center depth and possibly PG depth. Or maybe that 3 million dollars will have to go towards keeping both Copeland and/or Prigioni for a few more seasons.

so u want JR so he can shoot us out of the playoffs again....and 5 million is a good price for that.....
    what does it matter what seed you are in the playoffs if you just end up losing........why settle for just Okay....

Look at Copeland and Prigioni and even Nate robinson.......Those guys together got payed 1.8 million between them.....there are guys out there....having JR for 5 million is a waste.....stop kidding yourself

Oh yeah and his brother

Originally Posted by skisloper
    so u want JR so he can shoot us out of the playoffs again....and 5 million is a good price for that.....
    what does it matter what seed you are in the playoffs if you just end up losing........why settle for just Okay....

Look at Copeland and Prigioni and even Nate robinson.......Those guys together got payed 1.8 million between them.....there are guys out there....having JR for 5 million is a waste.....stop kidding yourself

Oh yeah and his brother
    Bro I have come to terms with the 2015 plan.... I was talking about it when we traded everyone for Melo and I am repeating it now. It took 2 years to get starter quality players since that trade. Then the New CBA came out and the knicks became even more screwed because at least under the old plan we could of grabbed somebody else now in FA to possibly help. Now all the knicks should do (and ironically most likely can) is just do well in the playoffs and improve on their season record. The knicks are in cap hell again but atleast the roster is respectable this time around. A lot of this can be blamed on Walsh (really Dolan) but it is what it is.

Come 2015 the knicks will be about 30 million under the cap and can completely rebuild and if they spent the 2 seasons prior adding decent depth at a fair price to the roster all the better.

In 2 years when the Knicks will have the ability to go after a real 2nd option JR coming off the bench as a 3rd or 4th option for 5 million will be a great move. Imagine either Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge or Marc Gasol working in the paint (which is what the knicks really need!!!). But to maximize on that money the knicks need to secure the core to build upon that now. JR can be an asset.

The knicks need to focus on having good quality depth on the roster so that all they need to add to the equation is a max player and boom they can be real contenders. JR is part of that long term plan regardless if he isn't a true second option.

Originally Posted by Ewing
    Please don't do it!

Grunwald, consider these guys instead: Korver, Allen, Martin (long shot I know), Mayo, Foye and Redick.
    All of them would be better fits for this team, not only they can score, but they also have their minds in place.
    4 years more than 20 million....no thanks!

I agree with Ewing there are better option out there. No way JR gets 4 years 20 million anywhere else so why give him that. Look at the end of the reular season this would have been a great deal...then JR started acting like JR

Yes I agree with some of you that 4 years 20 million is great for a 6th man...yet leave it to our team to have the exception to the rule!

if JR signs that contract he becomes an untradeable player reminiscent of the Isiah era!

players I'd rather have at that same value in no order other than being more valued than JR

1.OJ Mayo

2. Martin (not that much a long shot)

3.Foye

4. Jared Jack (thats probably a really long shot)

5. Toney Allen (he and Shump would give dudes fits)

6. Lance Stephenson (probably played himself into a pretty nice deal)

7. Daniel Gibson

8. Nate Robinson

9. Corey Brewer

1.OJ Mayo (is no different than JR at all but he is likelier to go crazy sooner)

2. Martin (is no different than JR offensively but he does have a better personality and can likely get more than 5)

3.Foye (is worse than JR and the knicks could likely get him for the MMLE)

4. Jared Jack (is worse than JR)

5. Toney Allen (This would be cool but we can't offer him 20 million only 9 million which we could offer regardless and he will be offered more)

6. Lance Stephenson (is worse than JR he was just on the better team and the knicks never adapted to transition drives through the whole playoffs)

7. Daniel Gibson (we could still get him for the MMLE)

8. Nate Robinson (we had him and I doubt he wan't to come back considering how we ditched him and 20 for him is a worse deal long term because once he loses that speed his size will make him useless)

9. Corey Brewer (JR is better than him and we could likely get him for the MMLE)

I mean lets be honest here there aren't any decent FA this year anyhow that the knicks could get anyhow. Its the smart move to make because I don't see an option to get better this FA anyhow outside of the draft

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

OJ Mayo is a career 39% 3PT shoot and has shot 40% in his career...He has excellent range, great passing ability and is a better man to man defender than JR Smith. OJ Mayo has better shot selection and makes less mistake on the courts if you actually watched him play...Mayo hasn't even find his prime yet, he's only been in the NBA for 3-4 years and is 2-3 years younger than JR Smith, who's been in the NBA for a decade and still doesn't get it. OJ's superior skill set and potential makes him more valuable than JR Smith any day.

Kevin Martin is one of the best shooters/scorers in the NBA. Atleast he shoots a high percentage. His defense is weak, and overall game is weak, but he embarrasses JR when it comes to shooting and scoring. JR has sloppy skill that works 35-40% of the time. He's not a 45-50% guy.

Foye...eh.

Jarett Jack, worse than JR...in what way, chucking and taking hennessy shots? Get to know Jarett Jack a little better. This guy is the best back up PG in the NBA, he shoots better than JR, passes better than JR ever will, defends better than JR and is also a better teammate than Smith.

Tony Allen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JR Smith

Lance Stephenson abused and dominated JR Smith...he's like 23 years old and has made major improvements each season...he's the future SG of the Pacers...we don't need him since we have Shumpert.

Daniel Gibson, why? He's D level player.

Nate Robinson is basically JR Smith with point guard skills but is actually dedicated to the game. JR Smith is a clown who gives 60% dedication to the sport and 40% dedication to entertainment and the night life. Smith is a loser, and loser players make us a loser team...we need to move on quickly before we waste any more time.

Corey Brewer's defense is way better than JR Smith's offense..Corey Brewer averages 12 points in 24 minutes per game ...which means he averages about the same range of points JR Smith averaged this season. JR has more talent, Brewer is a system guy. Brewer is also 6"9 and can defend 4 positions...Brewer is a C level player and Smith is a C+ level player, but Brewer would be a better fit at the 3 and let Shumpert move back to his natural position.

No shot that JR signs at 4 yrs/ 20 mil without testing free agency. Zero. Unless this guy reallyyyyy ants to be a Knick, which wouldn't really surprise me. Still, we need to keep JR somehow. He's a vital part of the Knicks bench. I'm praying Kidd and Camby both retire so we can free up some cap.

For the record, I would use the money for Jarrett Jack over JR, but I don't think Jack would even entertain such a low offer after the year he just had.

N8 is gone only by Pringles this is only his fault Pringles had his own crappy players like Laundy Fold Douglas Duhon his slow and skillless players.

Originally Posted by New New York
    4 years more than 20 million....no thanks!

I agree with Ewing there are better option out there. No way JR gets 4 years 20 million anywhere else so why give him that. Look at the end of the reular season this would have been a great deal...then JR started acting like JR

Yes I agree with some of you that 4 years 20 million is great for a 6th man...yet leave it to our team to have the exception to the rule!

if JR signs that contract he becomes an untradeable player reminiscent of the Isiah era!

players I'd rather have at that same value in no order other than being more valued than JR

1.OJ Mayo

2. Martin (not that much a long shot)

3.Foye

4. Jared Jack (thats probably a really long shot)

5. Toney Allen (he and Shump would give dudes fits)

6. Lance Stephenson (probably played himself into a pretty nice deal)

7. Daniel Gibson

8. Nate Robinson

9. Corey Brewer
    Even if you could get any of these guys on the cheap you would have to use most if not all of the MLE to get them and this team still needs to add a big. As bad as JR was in the playoffs he is still the second best option on this team to score especially if you can't rely on Amare. Adding a Tony Allen or Brewer type player may help the defense but who else is going to score besides Melo on a consistent basis? The only choice is to bring JR back and use the MLE on a big or fill another area of need on this roster with a younger guy.This roster is pretty much set for the next 2 years anyway so signing JR for 4 would not be catastrophic.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Wargames
    Bro I have come to terms with the 2015 plan.... I was talking about it when we traded everyone for Melo and I am repeating it now. It took 2 years to get starter quality players since that trade. Then the New CBA came out and the knicks became even more screwed because at least under the old plan we could of grabbed somebody else now in FA to possibly help. Now all the knicks should do (and ironically most likely can) is just do well in the playoffs and improve on their season record. The knicks are in cap hell again but atleast the roster is respectable this time around. A lot of this can be blamed on Walsh (really Dolan) but it is what it is.

Come 2015 the knicks will be about 30 million under the cap and can completely rebuild and if they spent the 2 seasons prior adding decent depth at a fair price to the roster all the better.

In 2 years when the Knicks will have the ability to go after a real 2nd option JR coming off the bench as a 3rd or 4th option for 5 million will be a great move. Imagine either Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge or Marc Gasol working in the paint (which is what the knicks really need!!!). But to maximize on that money the knicks need to secure the core to build upon that now. JR can be an asset.

The knicks need to focus on having good quality depth on the roster so that all they need to add to the equation is a max player and boom they can be real contenders. JR is part of that long term plan regardless if he isn't a true second option.

Now you are making no sense.....Why in the world would you want JR as part of our longterm plan.
    Lets now kid ourselves we will not be an NBA Champion unless we have a major revamping and unless a miracle happens we will be with the mostly the same team as last year.............

Do I think having JR may result in more season wins YES. Do I think having JR will result in more playoff losses YES. The regular season is just that.....some nights players on and some off.....Playoffs is every player at their best ( except ours )

We should use the 20 million over 4 years to start and build depth for 2015. We will still be good the next 2 years but in order to be a champion you need to have a game plan now......I do not think any NBA executive looking for a long term plan would include JR in that conversation....

As a Die-Hard knick fan are you not at all disgusted with JR' playoff record.
    We win in 4 or 5 if he does not elbow Terry. ( game 5 Melo has his shoulder hurt )
    Win game 5 if JR is not out the night before.
    The dude is not a team player.......even last year he commented if Lin got a big contract he would not be ok with that......I mean come on...whats it his business......

JR is a band aid on a bad team that can score......Look at the Spurs, Heat, Bulls, Pacers ..........JR would not fit on any of those teams and he is the 6th man award winner.....he was able to do what he did as a knicks because thats the way MELO plays.....do you really want 2 players shooting over 50% of our shots.......

We need players that will compliment Melo's game since this is Melo's team......if the goal is a 2015 revamp and Melo is part of it then JR is the last player you would want ......Lets go into 2015

Here is a link to a rumour about JR taking a liking to Cocaine

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Hm, sign and trade Smith for a solid role player and a 1st round pick to eventually draft Schroeder?

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Reports are saying we signed him to 4 years...

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Reports are saying we signed him to 4 years...
    source? it's all hearsay at this point and time.