JR Likely to Re-sign for 4 Years?

Wargames

Starter
1.OJ Mayo (is no different than JR at all but he is likelier to go crazy sooner)

2. Martin (is no different than JR offensively but he does have a better personality and can likely get more than 5)

3.Foye (is worse than JR and the knicks could likely get him for the MMLE)

4. Jared Jack (is worse than JR)

5. Toney Allen (This would be cool but we can't offer him 20 million only 9 million which we could offer regardless and he will be offered more)

6. Lance Stephenson (is worse than JR he was just on the better team and the knicks never adapted to transition drives through the whole playoffs)

7. Daniel Gibson (we could still get him for the MMLE)

8. Nate Robinson (we had him and I doubt he wan't to come back considering how we ditched him and 20 for him is a worse deal long term because once he loses that speed his size will make him useless)

9. Corey Brewer (JR is better than him and we could likely get him for the MMLE)

I mean lets be honest here there aren't any decent FA this year anyhow that the knicks could get anyhow. Its the smart move to make because I don't see an option to get better this FA anyhow outside of the draft

metrocard

Legend
OJ Mayo is a career 39% 3PT shoot and has shot 40% in his career...He has excellent range, great passing ability and is a better man to man defender than JR Smith. OJ Mayo has better shot selection and makes less mistake on the courts if you actually watched him play...Mayo hasn't even find his prime yet, he's only been in the NBA for 3-4 years and is 2-3 years younger than JR Smith, who's been in the NBA for a decade and still doesn't get it. OJ's superior skill set and potential makes him more valuable than JR Smith any day.

Kevin Martin is one of the best shooters/scorers in the NBA. Atleast he shoots a high percentage. His defense is weak, and overall game is weak, but he embarrasses JR when it comes to shooting and scoring. JR has sloppy skill that works 35-40% of the time. He's not a 45-50% guy.

Foye...eh.

Jarett Jack, worse than JR...in what way, chucking and taking hennessy shots? Get to know Jarett Jack a little better. This guy is the best back up PG in the NBA, he shoots better than JR, passes better than JR ever will, defends better than JR and is also a better teammate than Smith.

Tony Allen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JR Smith

Lance Stephenson abused and dominated JR Smith...he's like 23 years old and has made major improvements each season...he's the future SG of the Pacers...we don't need him since we have Shumpert.

Daniel Gibson, why? He's D level player.

Nate Robinson is basically JR Smith with point guard skills but is actually dedicated to the game. JR Smith is a clown who gives 60% dedication to the sport and 40% dedication to entertainment and the night life. Smith is a loser, and loser players make us a loser team...we need to move on quickly before we waste any more time.

Corey Brewer's defense is way better than JR Smith's offense..Corey Brewer averages 12 points in 24 minutes per game ...which means he averages about the same range of points JR Smith averaged this season. JR has more talent, Brewer is a system guy. Brewer is also 6"9 and can defend 4 positions...Brewer is a C level player and Smith is a C+ level player, but Brewer would be a better fit at the 3 and let Shumpert move back to his natural position.

johnk812

Rookie
No shot that JR signs at 4 yrs/ 20 mil without testing free agency. Zero. Unless this guy reallyyyyy ants to be a Knick, which wouldn't really surprise me. Still, we need to keep JR somehow. He's a vital part of the Knicks bench. I'm praying Kidd and Camby both retire so we can free up some cap.

For the record, I would use the money for Jarrett Jack over JR, but I don't think Jack would even entertain such a low offer after the year he just had.

bigapple

Starter
N8 is gone only by Pringles this is only his fault Pringles had his own crappy players like Laundy Fold Douglas Duhon his slow and skillless players.

KnicksFan4Life

Benchwarmer
4 years more than 20 million....no thanks!

I agree with Ewing there are better option out there. No way JR gets 4 years 20 million anywhere else so why give him that. Look at the end of the reular season this would have been a great deal...then JR started acting like JR

Yes I agree with some of you that 4 years 20 million is great for a 6th man...yet leave it to our team to have the exception to the rule!

if JR signs that contract he becomes an untradeable player reminiscent of the Isiah era!

players I'd rather have at that same value in no order other than being more valued than JR

1.OJ Mayo

2. Martin (not that much a long shot)

3.Foye

4. Jared Jack (thats probably a really long shot)

5. Toney Allen (he and Shump would give dudes fits)

6. Lance Stephenson (probably played himself into a pretty nice deal)

7. Daniel Gibson

8. Nate Robinson

9. Corey Brewer

Even if you could get any of these guys on the cheap you would have to use most if not all of the MLE to get them and this team still needs to add a big. As bad as JR was in the playoffs he is still the second best option on this team to score especially if you can't rely on Amare. Adding a Tony Allen or Brewer type player may help the defense but who else is going to score besides Melo on a consistent basis? The only choice is to bring JR back and use the MLE on a big or fill another area of need on this roster with a younger guy.This roster is pretty much set for the next 2 years anyway so signing JR for 4 would not be catastrophic.

skisloper

Starter
Bro I have come to terms with the 2015 plan.... I was talking about it when we traded everyone for Melo and I am repeating it now. It took 2 years to get starter quality players since that trade. Then the New CBA came out and the knicks became even more screwed because at least under the old plan we could of grabbed somebody else now in FA to possibly help. Now all the knicks should do (and ironically most likely can) is just do well in the playoffs and improve on their season record. The knicks are in cap hell again but atleast the roster is respectable this time around. A lot of this can be blamed on Walsh (really Dolan) but it is what it is.

Come 2015 the knicks will be about 30 million under the cap and can completely rebuild and if they spent the 2 seasons prior adding decent depth at a fair price to the roster all the better.

In 2 years when the Knicks will have the ability to go after a real 2nd option JR coming off the bench as a 3rd or 4th option for 5 million will be a great move. Imagine either Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge or Marc Gasol working in the paint (which is what the knicks really need!!!). But to maximize on that money the knicks need to secure the core to build upon that now. JR can be an asset.

The knicks need to focus on having good quality depth on the roster so that all they need to add to the equation is a max player and boom they can be real contenders. JR is part of that long term plan regardless if he isn't a true second option.

Now you are making no sense.....Why in the world would you want JR as part of our longterm plan.
Lets now kid ourselves we will not be an NBA Champion unless we have a major revamping and unless a miracle happens we will be with the mostly the same team as last year.............

Do I think having JR may result in more season wins YES. Do I think having JR will result in more playoff losses YES. The regular season is just that.....some nights players on and some off.....Playoffs is every player at their best ( except ours )

We should use the 20 million over 4 years to start and build depth for 2015. We will still be good the next 2 years but in order to be a champion you need to have a game plan now......I do not think any NBA executive looking for a long term plan would include JR in that conversation....

As a Die-Hard knick fan are you not at all disgusted with JR' playoff record.
We win in 4 or 5 if he does not elbow Terry. ( game 5 Melo has his shoulder hurt )
Win game 5 if JR is not out the night before.
The dude is not a team player.......even last year he commented if Lin got a big contract he would not be ok with that......I mean come on...whats it his business......

JR is a band aid on a bad team that can score......Look at the Spurs, Heat, Bulls, Pacers ..........JR would not fit on any of those teams and he is the 6th man award winner.....he was able to do what he did as a knicks because thats the way MELO plays.....do you really want 2 players shooting over 50% of our shots.......

We need players that will compliment Melo's game since this is Melo's team......if the goal is a 2015 revamp and Melo is part of it then JR is the last player you would want ......Lets go into 2015

tiger0330

Legend
Metro - It's the same link as in the original post.

The CBA says it's illegal to do a side deal to increase the value of a contract so if the Knicks do sign JR's brother say to a 2 year deal with the first year guaranteed I would bet the NBA would look into that. Signing him to a training camp contract and letting him win a spot is the most JR can hope for.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Can't wait until we sign him for 4 years so I can log in for 4 years to see grown men cry talking about basketball #teamswishersweet

metrocard

Legend
Guy has a drug problem, apparently his dealer lives in Harlem
http://ibnsportswrap.com/article.php?articleID=760
New York Knicks player and NBA 's 6th man of the year may have bigger problems than his recent struggles on the court. And the New York Knicks season came to an early end in Indiana. Failing to reach the Conference Finals or even coming close to winning the Title, the Knicks will have a tough offseason. A lot of things went wrong during the playoffs, some players played poorly, the coaching was far from perfect and, at the end of the day, Melo couldn't win it all by himself. And as the offseason is now ahead, a lot of questions are asked ... but Gotham will also have to deal with a controversy. During the playoffs, it has already been reported that New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith was spotted in night clubs before game days, he even drew public criticism of worldwide music star Rihanna (more about Rihanna later in the article), making everyone wonder about Smith's motivation concerning the NBA Playoffs.

Some big answers are now surfacing as sources claimed to IBN Sports Wrap that J.R. Smith has developed a huge cocaine habit. Sources also indicated that Smith was heavily using drugs during the Playoffs and at one point became quite ill thanks to his brand new "friend". Another source confirmed to IBN Sports Wrap that Smith's dealer currently lives in Harlem. That source also told us that JR Smith purchases approximately $1,500 worth of cocaine every 2/3 days when he is in town as well as $1,500 worth of marijuana every week. Despite not being legal, marijuana isn't the biggest concern in this situation as a coke habit may lead to bigger problems in the future for this seasons 6th man of the year. After being contacted by IBN Sports Wrap last night, the New York Knicks front office didn't want to comment about the situation. IBN Sports Wrap also asked Rihanna's camp for a response to the claims indicating that JR Smith was on drugs during the playoffs, here is their statement : "Rihanna thought JR seemed to be on something not just drunk, he was slurring his words and acting real slow.. that was turn-off especially having dealt with those mood changes in a prior relationship"

After being one of the biggest bust of the Knicks post-season, JR Smith's performance on the court may only be the tip of the iceberg ? Might also be why he wants his contract situation wrapped up quickly.

Wargames

Starter
We should use the 20 million over 4 years to start and build depth for 2015. We will still be good the next 2 years but in order to be a champion you need to have a game plan now......I do not think any NBA executive looking for a long term plan would include JR in that conversation....

I agree JR is a bandaid right now but where can we get better for 9 million over 3 years? We can't offer 20 for 4 to anyone else but JR and in the interview today Grunwald was hinting that they were planning to give the MMLE to cope and/or prig which means the knicks can't make any moves.... That not for nothing is the situation the knicks are in. There is no quick fix way to dig themselves out of it. All they can do is gather assets and go forward until 2015 where they can Add a major piece (likely 2) and then make a real run for it.

I am not saying JR didn't **** the bed, I am not saying he will improve in the playoffs. What I am saying is the knicks are stuck and in situations like this you need to gather assets... Even if its to trade down the road for something. It was my main issue on not letting Lin walk (who not for nothing **** the bed throughout the season and the playoffs as well). JR is on a smaller contract than him for way less years as well. Just from a cap perspective he isn't a bad deal.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
IMO if there was even a slight trace of suspicion he has a drug problem we wouldn't offer him a $20M/4 contract. No way Grunwald would sign an addict. And we're not talking about weed, which is something acceptable, cocaine is a serious problem.

edit: $1,500 of pot in a week? Dunno what are the market prices in the US, but over here you can get a joint that will knock you out for around $20.

tiger0330

Legend
Grunwald was quoted as saying their player evaluations are not done yet and it was too early to say they would definitely bring back JR. Grunwald said not to read it one way or the other but that it would not be fair to say "Yeah, we really want JR back".

Maybe those drug rumors about JR made Grunwald change his mind.

T.O Knick

Benchwarmer
All that is wrong with the organization summed up in bringing back JR Smith.

Any player who spends his time clubbing and going on binges in the Midst the playoffs...To Quote Mike Singletary

"It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can?t do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.?

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
JR will probably opt out but actually he should opt in if he wants to cash in...

If he opts in, mid season around Decemeber he will be able to get a 5 year extension (under the current CBA), if he opts out this off-season will only be able to sign a 4 year deal which doesn't make sense for someone who is in the need of the payday...

2013-14 will be JR - 3rd season with the Knicks & in the midst of the season he can explore an extension with said team for max-value... Now will he do this, its anyone's guess right now but a person that is from here, wants to stay here -- should take the better of the two deals, in my opinion...

skisloper

Starter
I agree JR is a bandaid right now but where can we get better for 9 million over 3 years? We can't offer 20 for 4 to anyone else but JR and in the interview today Grunwald was hinting that they were planning to give the MMLE to cope and/or prig which means the knicks can't make any moves.... That not for nothing is the situation the knicks are in. There is no quick fix way to dig themselves out of it. All they can do is gather assets and go forward until 2015 where they can Add a major piece (likely 2) and then make a real run for it.

I am not saying JR didn't **** the bed, I am not saying he will improve in the playoffs. What I am saying is the knicks are stuck and in situations like this you need to gather assets... Even if its to trade down the road for something. It was my main issue on not letting Lin walk (who not for nothing **** the bed throughout the season and the playoffs as well). JR is on a smaller contract than him for way less years as well. Just from a cap perspective he isn't a bad deal.

If we sign him for 4 years at 20 million and he is NOT an asset then what o u do then.....Do not be short sighted....JR is not going to make or break us a team to win the finals.......There is no reason to sign a guy who crapped on the Knicks with his partying ways in the playoffs...come 2015 we dont need his 10 million for the next 2 years.